Is rock dead?

Is rock dead?

Attached: Greta_Van_Fleet_Web1.jpg (810x455, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AL0dkGG_p7U
youtube.com/watch?v=wulw6idQJDY
youtube.com/watch?v=Ewrg5yyPa9o
youtube.com/watch?v=78Wk7rBh5yU
youtube.com/watch?v=E1I4A5yazr4
youtube.com/watch?v=57iP20jBEh8
youtube.com/watch?v=tZ6BiRnTol8
youtube.com/watch?v=96g3rOAjf8Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no. it's gone underground while hiphop & electronica went mainstream. greta van fleet proved that rock is still alive and kickin', much to the dismay of mainstream hipsters.

I think Greta Van Fleet is showing how rock is so dead, people will now skin it and parade with it on the streets trying to get every last penny people will throw

idk, ask these guys
youtube.com/watch?v=AL0dkGG_p7U

Cringe and blue pilled

Also bait

GVF's debut album was so underwhelming

yes, there is no sex appeal in rock today.

It's been a good decade for post-punk, psychedelic rock and math rock

How can you say this in a world where The Struts exist?

rock is not dead
youtube.com/watch?v=wulw6idQJDY

this, prog-pop too
youtube.com/watch?v=Ewrg5yyPa9o

youtube.com/watch?v=78Wk7rBh5yU

only in the west
japan literally cannot get enough of 80s rock bands and 00s pop rock.

seriously, all the old dad metal i used to listen to is still on tour in japan, still releasing new albums. why do they love it so much?

Greta Van Fleet are an ok band.

>it has been good for decade old generes, proving that rock is creatively bankrupt
Nice!

Those genre labels are so broad that there's plenty of room for innovation within their boundaries. It's the critics who are creatively bankrupt more so than the artists

In terms of relevance yes nobody putting rock on at parties over Drake in 2019

Or maybe you are just easily impressed by seemingly novel tricks that do nothing new.

B8
Kill yourself

Yes dude we need another mediocre indie rock band reviving the 80s or imitating the beatles again.

It's alive but in fucking life support.It's in serious need of a true breath of fresh air and actual life and sincerity

rock & roll is timeless. the changing of the format is what caused it to temporarily decline.

all genres evolve and grow to a certain point, then it's no longer about evolving the sound, but keeping the sound alive.

that's what's so great about music; that there's several genes instead of just an handful. if music kept evolving, it would all become one boring wall of sound that sound all the same.

My therapist thinks that rock and roll is dead. I want to fuck her really badly.

>it's no longer about evolving the sound, but keeping the sound alive.
That's what people mean when they say a genre is dead. Rock is dead.

>if music kept evolving, it would all become one boring wall of sound that sound all the same.
Literally the opposite you fucking moron.

no, dead means there's no active scene and little-to-none interest.

and saying that evolving music makes it more diverse is a lie perpetrated by hipsters.

music today sounds all the same due to lack of diversity. no one specializes in a genre anymore, everything just gets mixed together to an awful mess of noise.

it's always been like this: a genre is mature and defined AFTER it gets surpassed by a popular genre.

rock is always dead. They said it in the 60s, in the 70s, in the 80s...
nevertheless, I don't think it's ever gonna die.

Rock's becoming a niche genre, just like jazz, EDM, folk, etc. There will always be people who want real instruments, and rock is frankly easy to get into because of the pop song structure, so I don't think it'll ever go away, especially since it's evolved into so many interesting things, from post-punk to extreme metal.

Everybody knows rock is not dead in that sense, but a dead genre has a different meaning than that.

If music didn't evolve we would be listening to gregorian chants.

Music today doesn't all sound the same more than it used to in the past decades.

way more rock music than any other genre.

nah rock just evolved, but the part of people skinning its dead carcass is spot on

Not him, but I still don't think it's dead. I certainly think it's become niche (I'm ) but it's still evolving in ways that appeal to subcultures. There are a bunch of younger noise punk bands like black midi and EMA, crust punk and atmospheric black metal are mixing with stuff like Dead to a Dying World and Downfall of Gaia, for better or worse this is pretty much the golden age of folk punk, and suddenly there's been a resurgence in hipster genres like garage rock, noise pop, twee pop, etc.

my point is people still listen to gregorian chants. it's a defined genre with a distinct sound that doesn't need to evolve. it fine as it is, and can co-exist with various sub-genres.

kinda like blues. it's a great genre that gave birth to the sub-genre of blues rock. it's not classic blues or rock, but a new genre that eventually got defined itself and inspires other new genres.

no. it's just not the most popular genre anymore. there's a shiton of interesting shit going on with rock right now like said.

>still evolving
>once again mention half a dozen of decades old genres
Ust admit it's dead.

But if people say "gregorian chant is dead" everybody understand that this means the genre stopped evolving, and the same goes for rock.

Blues evolved into a lot of genres over a century. Blues rock didn't evolve out of blues, it evolved out of British rhythm & blues (a rock genre). It was influenced by blues, but the earliest blues rock wasn't blues.

I literally described how it's changing. Are you mentally retarded?

hey hey, my my rock and roll can never die, what can't you understand?
youtube.com/watch?v=E1I4A5yazr4

You didn't describe how it's changing, you described how people are doing the same thing they were doing decade ago.

I don't understand how bands are supposed to evolve rock, I feel like its all been mixed into it. I think people need to stop putting too many hopes and dreams into rock and just enjoy it again.

I was thinking maybe rock needed a new Grunge Era... something that is accessible like Nirvana but sounds like Daughters.

You're not actually trying to converse with me or anyone else. You're just trying to be an idiot. Congrats, you succeeded.

>rock needed a new Grunge era... something that is accessible
I got you bro

youtube.com/watch?v=57iP20jBEh8

youtube.com/watch?v=tZ6BiRnTol8

youtube.com/watch?v=96g3rOAjf8Y

This band mixes hip hop, rock and avant garde stuff that is easily accessible whilst keeping the hard hitting riffs of rock.

You are the reason why rock is dead. That post is pure cringe, I bet you are still in high school.

I will take that as you admitting rock stopped evolving. Because seriously, when people claim rock stopped evolving, and your response is mentioning decades old genres, you are just proving them right.

I literally described how it's still evolving, and now you're just going "nuh-uh." You're a retarded faggot.

>There are a bunch of younger noise punk bands like black midi and EMA, crust punk and atmospheric black metal are mixing with stuff like Dead to a Dying World and Downfall of Gaia, for better or worse this is pretty much the golden age of folk punk, and suddenly there's been a resurgence in hipster genres like garage rock, noise pop, twee pop, etc.
This is what you said. You are not describing how the genre is evolving, you are just stating that people are playing decades old genres. When people are playing the same decades old genres you can claim the genres have stagnated, and they have.

>Pretty young boys

Attached: steven_wilson_99.jpg (683x1024, 302K)

Evolution requires that something change - Greta Van Fleet is a literal Led Zeppelin rip-off.

no

indie rock and hardcore is just its logical successor.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAMA

>If music kept evolving, it would all become one boring wall of sound that sound all the same
No, that's what happens if music stops evolving.

Rock is such a basic genre it’s so creativity bankrupt that they have to recycle previously successful ideas to sell it

Rock died, say big thanks to the Critics who were bullied by strong men, The ironic Grunge rockers who couldn't even play the instruments and self-hating Alternative brainlets like Radiohead for that. You want Rock? Well then be prepared to get be getting pissed off.

ok Tony

This. Rock has lost its dangerous badboy element and the genre is now played by boring, personality void soibois.

It's not dead, it's just on smoko

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 19.04.05.png (1276x916, 1.02M)

All popular music is basic. Normies dont listen to symphonies and technical jazz. Rock just requires testosterone, something a lot of men dont have today.

Rock isn’t dead. GVF are trash that literally copied Zep with shittier guitar and absolutely incomparable drums.
Like this user said, it went underground. It’ll come back though. Brand New’s Science Fiction is a great example of how rock can evolve

Both genres died more than a decade ago.

Brand New are creatively bankrupt, further proving the OP right.

Anyone that says no is a fucking retard

It's fucking dead. It's solved. It's been perfected. It's tried and true.

Let it fucking die, don't try making any new rock bands, just listen to old albums in peace while rap and hip hop consumes everything in it's plunderphonic chimera all consuming black hole.

99% of new rock is just rehashing old shit or a pop "band" that's usually just a female front with some nameless unimportant male instrumentalists.

too true :'(

Holy hell this is bad. It's like a worse version of Chevelle, and Chevelle already aren't exactly cream of the crop material

They're nothing like Chevelle you pleb. you mean they sound too mainstream for you?

You're right, that's too insulting to Chevelle.

how does anyone listen to this and think it's good? It's like fucking made for a minions movie

Chevelle are a poor mans Deftones.

Your band shitty band is the poor mans poor mans Deftones

it died 40 years ago
rock will never achieve the level of experimentation/depth hip-hop and electronic have

Attached: FB_IMG_1564875469778.jpg (1064x1064, 134K)

>"Get pop out of my rock music REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Uh, yeah. Underground stuff is trash as well

this but unironically

Not bad. I can hear that this could potentially chart in the UK. He's got the voice that's well liked over here.

Hip hop rips off most of its beats and instrumentals from previous songs. Better ones at that

GVF sucks dirty dick and is nothing but derivative and exploitative.

Yep

It did already, just 20-30 years ago

ween were the last innovative rock band

>its gone underground
I remember the first time I read this, GameFAQs music board in 2004. And guess what example the guy used? ITAOTS. I'm not joking