Black people can't make good musi-

Attached: 220px-Curtismayfield-1970lp.jpg (220x221, 11K)

c.

No educated person ever said that.

This. Just because black people haven't made anything of any musical worth whatsoever since the 80s doesn't give you a pass in forgetting just how important their contribution was before then.

>since the 80s
Found the boomer.

>White people teaching them music theory
There's no evidence for this claim.

You are free to show me indigenous sub-Saharan African music theory, more specifically from where Black Americans come from (West & Central Africa).

White people would teach them music theory through the Church, through psalms, hymns and other religious things

>Black people can't make good musi-

Attached: 1564334869743.jpg (600x800, 94K)

perhaps melodically but rhythmically im not so sure...

That's just how you feel.

>music isn’t supposed to make you feel things

c

>Black people make their best music when left to their own device

even if this is true (im not convinced) on their own they'd have had no instruments to make it with, and no tech to record it with, no medium to distribute it with and of course no playback method

so maybe instead of dividing shit up we need to start thinking about how we can all work well together.

>Black people make their best music when left to their own device.
Then show me their best music composed by Black people, with Black instruments, Black music theory and a Black language.

>Black people produced and paid for R&B, soul, funk and disco.
... all of which use White Western instruments, theory, concepts, and language.

They did have instruments but they were kind of... limited.

Attached: Primitive-Instrument-Wood-Thumb-Piano-Mbira-Kalimba.jpg (197x400, 14K)

This
>They did have instruments but they were kind of... limited.
was meant to

>so maybe instead of dividing shit up we need to start thinking about how we can all work well together.
We tried that already. Trap music is the sound of someone, regardless of race, who's not only lost their heritage but has precisely no interest in finding it again.

just a reminder black people invented these genres
rock
jazz
hip hop
techno
house music
blues
reggae
ska
dancehall
rock steady
disco
am i missing any?

>so maybe instead of dividing shit up we need to start thinking about how we can all work well together
But black culture was thriving most when they were segregated. Now that racism has all but died the smart black folk integrate into civilised society leaving a massive brain drain in the poor black communities. Again, why do you think these communities haven't produced anything of any artistic merit for decades now?

All of which wouldn't exist without a White Western musical heritage originating from Classical music.

Black Africans didn't even have the concept of chords ffs, and you think they would have made Jazz? People like Duke Ellington White composers like Debussy, not to the Black African witchdoctor screeching in his village...

The genre of music created by blacks, especially African Americans, are the fast food of music. Enjoyable, but lacking in substance and bad for you in large amounts.

>People like Duke Ellington White composers like Debussy
People like Duke Ellington looked up to White composers like Debussy*

>hip hop
>blues
>reggae
>rocksteady
>dancehall
>ska
those are only ones you get

>Again, why do you think these communities haven't produced anything of any artistic merit for decades now?
humm... Excuse me?

Attached: kendrick-lamar-x-denis-rouvre-to-pimp-a-butterfly.jpg (810x810, 105K)

And all of them except for blues (which got upgraded to blues rock by whites anyway) are absolutely terrible.

>DIS DIKK AIN'T FWEE
Fuck off, retard.

lol black people invented all your favorite genre no matter how much you cry that will never changed thank you black people!

there is literally no proof of the opposite

Wow this thread got someone upset.

That album is the platonic ideal of mediocrity.

Curtis [Curtom, 1970]
Initially I distrusted these putatively middlebrow guides to black pride--"Miss Black America" indeed. But a lot of black people found them estimable, so I listened some more, and I'm glad. Since Mayfield is a more trustworthy talent than Isaac Hayes, I wasn't too surprised at the durability of the two long cuts--the percussion jam is as natural an extension of soul music (those Sunday handclaps) as the jazzish solo. What did surprise me was that the whole project seemed less and less middlebrow as I got to know it. Forget the harps--"Move On Up" is Mayfield's most explicit political song, "If There's a Hell Below We're All Gonna Go" revises the usual gospel pieties, and "Miss Black America" has its charms, too. B+

Attached: christgau89894.jpg (1400x963, 169K)

>"Move On Up" is Mayfield's most explicit political song

Attached: 1451345145.jpg (396x303, 22K)

Let me finish that for you. Black people can't make good music anymore. Their music died when Marvin Gaye died. All music did.

Best post got deleted. Shieeet.

/thread

>>They did have instruments but they were kind of... limited.

fair point - not really the instruments they used to apparently create..

>rock
>jazz
>hip hop
>techno
>house music
>blues
>reggae
>ska
>dancehall
>rock steady
>disco

singlehandly - which is pretty false.

I just think we'd be better realising we do create music (and many other things) together..

>We tried that already. Trap music is the sound of someone, regardless of race, who's not only lost their heritage but has precisely no interest in finding it again.

agreed, but im thinking more the collaborations between jazz artists in the 70s - bob james, stanley clarke, all the brazillians im too busy to type out

im thinking how black and white kids in london created jungle and drum n bass, went to raves together

im thinking how arthur baker collaborated with early hip hop artists to create something much more sustainable than 'park' hip hop

That album is 49 years old. What have they done for us lately?

Kendrick is a dumb cultist incapable of serious critical thought.

I love how he admits he constantly needs a black colleague to hold his hand and explain black music to him.

Like most of his peers, Curtis LeMay was killed off by disco. Isaac Hayes, Aretha Franklin, even Stevie arguably, none of their post-1976 output is necessary to hear.

>Like most of his peers, Curtis LeMay was killed off by disco. Isaac Hayes, Aretha Franklin, even Stevie arguably, none of their post-1976 output is necessary to hear.

do you think thats because everybody decided they just wanted music for fun at that point.

i have a poorly sketched out theory that by late 70/80s everyone have got bored of preachy music and just wanted light stuff - hence disco, new wave, synth pop and to an extent early party rap.... i know there's clusters of more concious music since then but 'generally' its been more fluffy

>D'Angelo
>Tribe
>Kendrick
>Pusha T
>Kanye
To name some very basic and entry level socially-conscious/not-total-shit tier artists who have released in recent memory

Based.

Black people can't make good musi-

Attached: Screenshot_20181230-071521.jpg (592x583, 237K)

doot

Country, ironically

>black people didn't invent jazz
Absolute state of this board

whites and asians invented microphones, amps, mixing desks, samplers, synths, drumcomputers, multi track recorders, DAW's, cutting audio signals on vinyl and tape, mp3s. band much more.
black music exists because of whites and asians.

They’re not all bad. They killed Biggie and Tupac, and that’s a start.

Also, cocaine hit the inner cities HARD in the late 1970s. That changed the music drastically. People wanted to dance, they wanted to dance a long time, and they wanted the beats simple. Black music went from R&B’s backbeats and syncopation to Disco’s four-on-the-floor rhythms and straight ahead grooves.