Cheesiness in heavy metal

I'm a heavy metal fan, and I'm fully aware of how cheesy a lot of metal is, but honestly I can't help but find Judas Priest to be the epitome of cheesiness in heavy metal. From their image to their lyrics, ect. That's not to say that I don't enjoy their music and that Rob Halford isn't an awesome guy, but....come on, it's just fucking true. Their hardcore fans don't even seem to understand it when I explain to them how unbelievably cheesy and corny their lyrics especially are. At least a lot of other metal bands try to tell a story, but JP is just about how metal they are, weird "metal" monsters, motorcycles and shit like that. I'm sorry, I enjoy the music, but it's just true. I'll also be honest, some of the most autistic of metalheads I've ever had the misfortune to encounter are the hardcore Priest fans who act cringy as fuck and are immediately hostile towards anyone who dares question the almighty Priest or says another band is better or their favorite than JP. I just don't get it, when you have gods like Iron Maiden, Dio, King Diamond, ect fans who like Judas Priest just fine, I am one of those people, but a typical Judas Priest fan is instantly hostile towards someone who is a fan of these other great metal bands. Not always, of course, but it seems to be pretty often, it seems.

Attached: judaspriest.jpg (400x266, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hNK04V6ZcUo
youtube.com/watch?v=XRXyCcyM7k4
youtube.com/watch?v=H_mpt8xyZVI
youtu.be/v7WlNDQKwsg
youtube.com/watch?v=IJT-K8p8ufI
youtube.com/watch?v=vZp-9n5e4UE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I am a Priest dickrider, and a fan of every other band you mentioned as well, and I know the kind of Priest fans you're talking about lol. Lots of Priest fans are a little butthurt at how Maiden is often praised more than them....and can be touchy about it. Those types tend to think Maiden is overrated.

And yes, Priest is cheesey, it's part of the appeal....some people don't like cheese, other people do, but there is no use denying it. The cheesiness of Priest which comes in the form of a sort of glorified vision of rock and roll rebellion to me is charming and fun and I wouldn't want them any other way.

Yeah, like I said, I still quite enjoy them and think they're awesome, I just find them cheesy and their fans, at times, insufferable. Tbh, it got so bad for me before that I even quit listening to them for a good while because of the more annoying fans. I used to listen to them quite a lot before I noticed the cuntier fanbase. It's honestly hurt my enjoyment of the music to a degree.

>Judas Priest
>the epitome of cheesiness
A challenger approaches.
youtube.com/watch?v=hNK04V6ZcUo

Attached: YjhCMYVHqt2kiEvKy85jcf.jpg (4817x2709, 771K)

That can happen. I used to be a casual Nirvana fan in my teens before turning into an Anti Nirvana maniac because of their fans.

Priest is my number one metal band, but just barely above Iron Maiden. I know a guy who likes Maiden but ultimately, is way more of a Paul than Bruce fan, and if you get him going into Priest vs. Maiden mode he will rip on Maiden and Bruce especially hardcore....he actually makes some good points at times, but the animosity is amusing.

Hahaha, yeah.... Manowar, good point. I think Maiden have more interesting lyrics and musical compositions desu. It's not just about being metal for sake of being metal for them. They write great music that happens to be great metal. Judas Priest, great musicians as well, tend to write more typically metal stuff that, to me, can be just fun for the moment, but not as powerful or as moving as Iron Maiden. Reminder: I enjoy Priest, I think "Metal Meltdown" is one of the greatest metal songs ever. I just think, for the zealotry that a lot of Priest fans tend to display, there's just not enough there for me. I honestly find Maiden to be lyrically more interesting and musically more interesting, they combine the best melodies and the best riffs I've ever heard. Priest write awesome riffs, awesome melodies here and there, and awesome leads, but there's just not as much there for me as with Maiden. I just don't care that much for metal that's metal for the sake of being metal as I do just great songwriting.

That is fair in my opinion. I find Priest to be musically better and diverse overall which is why I give them the slight edge personally, but Maiden is definitely better lyrically so if that's a priority for you, I understand preferring Maiden (and for many years, Maiden was my favorite trad metal band, above Priest). Maiden was always less rebellious and never fell into rock or metal trappings/cliches like Priest often did, with Maiden just making songs about bookish shit and fantasy scenarios in a less "adolescent boy" kind of way than Priest. Maiden is more mature in that sense, but Priest is more badass in another.

If I could make an unrelated comparison, it's kind of like comparing Alien vs Aliens, both great in their own right, similar in ways, but offer something completely different. Alien is truly a well thought out thriller while Aliens is just a balls to the wall action film. Both are one of the best in their respective fields, but different.

I mean, I definitely think Priest are heavier. Idk about musically better. Maiden are filled with people who are complete masters at their instruments. Priest too, but Priest always felt a bit more simplistic to me in comparison. Iron Maiden tend to have a lot more complexity to their music whereas Priest is just riff n' solo. Again, Priest HAVE written awesome melodies, just not as often imo.

I feel like Maiden are better at writing uplifting melodies while Priest are better at writing sinister melodies, if that makes any sense.

ESCAPE FROM THIS AFTERLIFE

Oh, I definitely agree. Priest are certainly darker and heavier. I don't even mean to take anything away from them, it's just explaining shit to their fans that's frustrating and, sometimes, I'm turned off by the cheesiness at times. I tend to like more "epic" story telling stuff, and I've always felt Dio and Maiden have always been the best at it.

Yes. Maiden and Dio are both two of the best at that style of songwriting, Priest dabble in it...but often when they do, it is very cheesey and cartoony, like look at the song Painkiller, it's like an over the top 80's action figure in musical form or some shit, which is appealing to some people, myself included. Priest overall though doesn't fit that sort of proto power metal thing Maiden and Dio do much better thematically anyway, because a lot of their songs are more typical rock and metal fodder.

That's pretty much what I've been saying in a nutshell.

definitely very not gay

Yes, I don't know how much of a Priest fan you are, but I feel like earlier Priest may be more your bag than later as well. What are your fave Priest and Maiden albums?

youtube.com/watch?v=XRXyCcyM7k4
youtube.com/watch?v=H_mpt8xyZVI

easily outcheeses Priest

youtu.be/v7WlNDQKwsg

Oh, I love the different eras of Priest. Earlier Priest was definitely cool. I guess I'd say my favorite full album is Screaming For Vengeance. My favorite Maiden album is Powerslave.

Hahaha, I agree about Manowar. Btw, I think The Sentinel is an exception. That quality is just more abundant in Maiden's work.

>JP is just about how metal they are, weird "metal" monsters, motorcycles and shit like that.
Have you listened to anything other than Painkiller?

It's honestly a shitload of their stuff. I've listened to them most of my life. Painkiller, the song anyway, is really overplayed and it's cringy when basic ass metal fans consider that their favorite Priest song when Metal Meltdown exists.

imagine being such a basic bitch that you don't realize One Shot at Glory is peak priest

But it's far from the only thing they sing about. They have plenty of songs where they try to tell a story or about love (and sex)

Your average power metal band is stupidly cheesier than Judas Priest

I know, I've stated that they have their exceptions, it just doesn't go as deep as it does with Maiden, Dio or 80s Ozzy.

REALLY depends on the band. Priest have written some ridiculous shit before.... hot rockin'?!

judas priest isn't cheesy at all. power metal and norwegian black metal are easily the cheesiest metal genres

At all?! Are you sure about that? I mean, I did say a lot of metal is cheesy, and that's fine. It's just that a lot of Priest's lyrics are fucking over the top hilarious. Again, I am a fan, I just can't get past the goofiness that much, though, as I grow older. Plus, I'm turned off by the average Judas Priest fan nowadays, a lot of them are salty elitists who can't just enjoy shit....a lot like black metal fans LMFAO

Sure, they aren't Manowar or Vinnie Vincent Invasion hilarious, but come on...

I love the cheesiness. Goes hand in hand for my love of ridiculous 80s action movies.

Yeah, that's a pretty fair statement. I honestly wouldn't be such a cunt about it if it weren't for the cancerous fanbase.

There is NOTHING funny about Vinnie Vincent! HE SAVED KISSSSSSSSS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Attached: vinnie-vincent.jpg (902x687, 78K)

Judas Priest is one of my favorite bands. Some of the stuff in the 1980s was corny. Are you going to tell me this is lame though?

youtube.com/watch?v=IJT-K8p8ufI

Fun fact: KK Downing was earning $400,000 per year in royalties from the band. He sold his rights back to them recently.

I'll take cheese over Black Metal that takes itself seriously

Oh, I never said they were LAME and never said they weren't awesome, I just think they epitomize heavy metal cheese. If you read back through the thread, I'm obviously a fan. There are plenty of cheesy things I love about the 80s. And, as I stated, my main complaint IS that some of the fans DO take it too seriously and can be dicks. I'm talking about the fans who are immediately cunty if you so much as mention Iron Maiden to them, or say you think another band is better. It irks me because I never see Iron Maiden fans be dicks to Judas Priest fans, so on, so forth.

I would like Maiden more if Steve Harris played bass like Ian Hill played bass. It's like having Billy Sheehan in your band.

It comes with the territory. Maiden is by far the most celebrated old school metal band possibly even more so than Sabbath, I don't agree with hate cause I love Maiden but like I said it comes with the territory, some people are gonna be salty about it.

Maiden themselves can be this way, they've talked shit about other bands, making fun of Priest, Ozzy, and Metallica...the last of which was clearly a jealousy move.

I think Steve Harris is a genius bassist, so is Billy.

She cute

Attached: 1563596926071.jpg (416x450, 39K)

Yeah, that's fair. We can all be a little salty at times. I just think my first responder was right, there are a lot of butthurt or salty Priest fans who just do the whole Priest vs Maiden thing like it's a sport instead of music.

Ian Hill never stood out to me much as a bassist. He seems pretty much just your standard metal bassist. I prefer Steve Harris, Billy Sheehan, Phil Lynott.

Allllright, going to bed. Night guys. And remember... there's always Fight!

youtube.com/watch?v=vZp-9n5e4UE

Axl Rose vs. Bruce Dickinson

I love both

Priest lost me after Screaming For Vengeance, when they just became a caricature of themselves, and tried to out-metal the rising thrash wave. Everything before that is classic stuff, and Rob's voice is what it's all about.
And, it's funny you slam Priest for being cheesy, when Dio was the cartooniest, cheesiest dude out there. How about another song about dragons, or rainbows, Ronnie? And I say that as someone who ranks Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell and Rainbow Rising as must have albums.
Metal has always had an inherent corniness to it. It's comic books of music. And it's fine, for the most part, just don't call a band like Priest cheesy when you had Maiden with puppets onstage.

>Maiden is by far the most celebrated old school metal band possibly even more so than Sabbath
Nah. Motorhead has that distinction. Everyone has a Motorhead shirt and knows at least one song.

Maiden is definitely more popular than Motorhead, Maiden's fanbase makes Motorhead look semi cult in comparison

Yes, everyone knows "Ace Of Spades" and Lemmy achieved meme status, but Maiden is legit huge pretty much everywhere but the US, which is why they hate America.

>Maiden is definitely more popular than Motorhead
You know you can tell when there's a Maiden fan in the room?

No, how?

Read that post.

Maiden had a lot more popular songs, most people only know Ace of Spades

Dude I saw Motorhead open up for Judas Priest and also play before "Heaven and Hell" which was Sabbath with Dio at the time in the late 00's

There is no way Iron Maiden would have been in that position, Maiden would never open for any of those bands these days. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just telling you facts. Maiden is way bigger than Motorhead.

Just because something is more cheesy doesnt make other things less cheesy

Motorhead were never more than an niche/cult act in the US.

>Metal has always had an inherent corniness to it. It's comic books of music
Rock and roll was always camp since Chuck Berry's duckwalk. The idea that you had to be some 2deep4u political singer-songwriter was an invention of the 60s.

>but Maiden is legit huge pretty much everywhere but the US, which is why they hate America
Maiden to Americans is mostly TNOTB through Powerslave.

Maiden achieved that nice middle ground of being heavy but not too cheesy and having fairly literate songwriting with history and literary references in it. They also never sold out or became a bunch of childish egomaniacs like the thrash guys did.

Ironically enough though the punks would say otherwise, Zeppelin and Purple birthed metal tradition and they hated all of the grandiosity and pomp and the punk rockers were trying to take it back to pre 60's rock, but then you have punk bands emerge who were extremely arty and pretentious, so none of this really matters at all.

Also obviously punk wouldn't have been possible without Black Sabbath although some parties in the music critic business may never figure that out and instead attribute punk's rise to some corny Stones ripoffs who wore lipstick and eye shadow.

The Dolls rule, F U

Also, there were other bands too like The Stooges and the MC5 who were more "proto punk", I don't feel Black Sabbath had anything to do with punk at all...AC/DC and Motorhead were more punk

>AC/DC
>punk
Their fans were the people who beat punks up.

AC/DC and Motorhead both early on had a punk fanbase, because they were fast raw and wild and had a different image than what was considered metal at the time

Ian was a reasonably good bassist in the 70s, after Hell Bent he just gave up and played root notes.

Rob's agony at being gay was always a big part of his songwriting. I suppose Maiden's songwriting was less emotional and...urgent?

Priest had a far better pop sensibility than Maiden.

AC/DC was not always viewed as how people now view them, most of their early career they were somewhat of an "underground" band....Back In Black is really when they blew up, and that was in the 80's, they had been around a long time before that with a lot less fame

They were scumbag music in the 70's, they weren't REO Speedwagon or The Eagles or anything considered hip or cool, which is a shame because zoomers now think of them as being that way

Yeah Priest definitely have some cheesy lyrics but songs like Beyond the Realms of Death and Savage are definitely more on the serious side.

Are you fucking retarded