How is TVU "art-rock"? I can understand how bands like the Residents or Faust are art-rock or avantgarde...

How is TVU "art-rock"? I can understand how bands like the Residents or Faust are art-rock or avantgarde, but how is TVU art-rock? What so artsy about it, aside from the cover arts and being produced by Andy Warhol for the length of a single album?

Also, Im Waiting for the Man is so boring, tedious, uninspired and awful, oh my god. It's literally a single chord struck time and time again and some shit lyrics about waiting for your drug dealer
Why does scaruf like it again?

Attached: the-velvet-underground-and-nico.jpg (669x669, 66K)

Overall, I do not like this album, I agree, but for the time it was actually pretty experimental for lyric based rock.

Just compare it to Beatles, Doors, Kinks and all the other shit that was popular back then. Should be clear enough why this was cutting edge.

>waits so artsy about it
>proceeds to complain “I’m Waitin for the man” is to avant-garde

>avantgarde
>sounds like the most generic garage rock 5 second long tune looped 50 times
boy

also, youre putting the Doors and Beatles in the same place, and saying that TVU is superior to the Doors

Protip, its not, and the Doors wrecked TVU at their "art-rock" game
And their self titled is much better and greater to listen to

In their defense, that technique was never done before them to my knowledge, and it was later expanded upon in the genre, having a wide influence. The songs shit though.

I don't need any "pro-tips" your taste is trash.

im also listening to TVU for the first time now
The fourth song Venus in Furs is the only somewhat avantgarde, artsy song that i noticed, im at it right now, the previous 3 were shit

lol

Nah bro, your taste is. Anyone who dislikes the doors is an immediate faggot with bad taste. Objectively bad taste. Anti-fun too

This has gotta be a troll how can one man be so retarded

The velvet underground literally invented music there was nothing like this album when it came out it only sounds boring and shit to you cause it’s been decades since it’s release and there’s been many people who took from the albums new sound and song ideas, or you’re just retarded

God, Venus in Furs is the absolute worst on the entire album.

What are your arguments?
Oh wait. You dont have any.
Guessed it. Anyone who forces themselves to think that album is in any way artistic must be a retard or a deaf man

are you implying that the shit "waiting for the man" is better? lmao
how can one person be so monotonous? enjoying that song is like enjoying binary

>dude art rock is when you like have wind instruments in your music lmao

>dude art rock is when you like sound like any other genre of the past decade but you like add art to your rock in the name only right?

holy shit nico's contributions on the album are so shit
her accent is so repulsive it makes it hard for me to take any of her songs seriously

To be fair though, it hasn't aged well. It doesn't matter if it was ground breaking at the time, these days it just doesn't sound good. There are plenty of examples from different forms of art where this applies because art evolves. Just because something is influential does not mean that future generations should enjoy it, they should respect it.
Nah man, Waiting For My Man is shit as well. The only songs I can say I actually like off the album are Heroin and There She Goes Again, but its been years since I listened to the album because I just don't like it so there may be another decent song.

i agree with you. im not saying venus in furs is good. just that its the most avantgarde of the first 4 songs, of which the first 3 arent avantgarde at all

Seriously, I came to a simple conclusion
TVU fans forcing themselves to think that TVU is "art-rock" is like the Beatles fans forcing themselves to think that Revolver is psychedelic

I would argue that it was at one point art rock. These days it isn't, but you have to keep in mind that the album was released in 1967, before rock truly had all too much of interest.

what is with this “the doors are actually good” meme as of late?

It wasn't. The Velvet Underground were just one of many 60s garage rock bands.
Sgt. Pepper is more artsy than anything they have ever done.

Most people like The Doors. I don't know why hipster types tend to hate them.

Lou Reed had more talent in his left testicle than Morrison had in his entire body.
The fuck are you talking about, man?

Also have you listened to "Venus in Furs" and "Black Angel's Death Song"?

more like, what is with this "the doors suck" meme as of late?

>Lou Reed had more talent in his left testicle than Morrison had in his entire body
Then why do I enjoy Morrison's music thoroughly while I find Lou Reed's music and singing repulsive and uninspired?

Are you even reading the counter points, or do you just refuse to understand that it was experimental for its time? You may not like it these days, but it helped shape the genre.

Freak Out! predates TVUN yet it sounds way more experimental than that album

>all of you faggots ignoring the pure noise and viola experiments of John Cale on literally half the album
Are you kids literally fucking retarded?

Association with Andy Warhol. Inventive sonic textures and compositions from John Cale. Risquee subject matter. Uncommon at the time recording style the de-emphasized polish, making the music more about expression and moment than a product (even though it was definitely a product).

Not really. other than that last track it's not that "Experimental"
Also, anyone can make noise and claim it's "experimental" the question if it's also good.
I love Frank Zappa as a person, but his "experiments" are - for me - boring and unmusical.
What John Cale was doing in the velvets was experimental and musical in equal measure.
It's an experiment that actually WORKS.

Yeah but that's not even in the same category as TVU. Its one thing to make comedy/absurdist rock, and a completely different thing to make a more serious rock album with an emphasis on song writing. Those albums aren't even comparable and did completely different things for the genre.

op only listened to the a-side like the doors fan he is

>if lou reed is good why don't i like it
based retard

bump because TVU needs to get shitted on more here

art rock isn’t a real genre

VU&N was recorded at the same time, it couldn’t have influenced the velvets

Imagine being this pleb

hmm you guys are really dumb

Attached: 1562782380200.png (522x1106, 1.44M)

Based

>Beatles
>A Day In The Life is quite literally the perfect unison between a pop song and sonata form
>influenced by the post-war avant garde and said to be the bridge between pop music and serious music by Stockhausen himself

What the fuck are you on about?

how can you want TVU to be more like Faust or THE RESIDENTS and then complain that this album is tedious and has shitty lyrics? Have you heard the residents at all? the fact that it's so abrasive and bizarre, especially for it's time, is why it's considered art-rock. you can't want something to be avantgarde in the same vein as faust or the residents and also want it to be pretty. even though there ARE genuinely pretty moments on the album. Femme Fatal? Sunday Morning??

Im not comparing them to it. Im saying what is actual art and what isnt

so the residents screaming HERE I COME CONSTANTINOPLE over and over is art and progressive but something like venus in furs or all tomorrow's parties or fucking HEROIN isn't?