Which artist/band had the greatest comeback in music history?

Which artist/band had the greatest comeback in music history?

Attached: 1555684743523.jpg (499x540, 88K)

when nirvana was taking a break and everyone forgot they existed but then Kurt pulled fast one and now grohl is exalted and made the superior band, queens of the stone age.

Bee gees

Sleep

Chicago

Elvis!
>1950s, becomes cultural icon, that era is basically shorthand for “50s,” sweeps nation, first rock superstar
>1960s, makes shitty movie after shitty movie. Becomes punchline. British Invasion and folk revival steals his old thunder. A relic of time gone by. Sings Old MacDonald on back of chicken truck. Literally storms out of recording studios at how shit the songs he’s contractually obligated to sing are. Locks himself in dressing room and has to be coaxed out by manager during filming of “Kissin’ Cousins” (his worst movie in my opinion, but there’s so many to choose)
>1970s (really 1968) quits Hollywood, tells manager to go fuck himself, does his most iconic shows, releases some of his best vocal performances. Everyone cheers that he’s back. Elvis in his jumpsuit era is now shorthand for “70s.” Gets to be a superstar again before getting fat and dying
His NBC TV special was originally gonna be him in a Santa suit singing Christmas songs, he decided to do it in leather and sing rock n roll. So many people called it the “Comeback Special” and now that’s the official name on Graceland releases
Based rageposter, btw

Attached: 11AD1F78-573B-43DA-BBCE-6875AD22CFF4.jpg (739x1080, 160K)

kanye, about 3 times

Suede, their two recent albums have been amazing. Especially Night Thoughts.

Tupac's hologram

>muh poopity scoop

Green Day

neil young coming back with harvest moon

>MBDTF
yes
>Pablo
yes
>ye
lmao no

and yes i'm not counting Yeezus as a comeback

Brian Wilson

the only way he could come back is by actually dying this Christmas, the old fuck

actually a very good answer

why because he had cruel summer and wtt? yeezus was definitely a comeback album

Dr. Dre

This.
Suspicious Minds is one of my all-time favorite songs, period

ye

Attached: 1496284137894.png (248x244, 48K)

Judas Priest with Painkiller and again with Firepower.

They also had a small one with Stained Class

Swans with The Seer

literally had no idea Grohl was a member of Queens of the Stone Age

of course Bob Fripp and the Scarlet Royalty with Discipline, if it counts as the same band
Half new members and almost entirely different music

Roy Orbison but he died before his comeback was complete

swans

>Roy Orbison
52 years old when he died. He always gave me an older impression

Shitty answers so far. The true answer is Slowdive.

this

he was a member during the recording of songs for the deaf where he did all the drums

Any answer other than Aerosmith is pulling your leg.

this. self-titled > souvlaki i might even add

not 'great', per se, as i really despise this band, but:
panic at the disco had one of the most successful rebrands i've ever seen. compare pretty odd to pray for the wicked and marvel at the marketing genius

Retard.

RHCP sort of with Californication although they never really became literallywhos during the Navarro era, nothing like Aerosmith and how they almost completely vanished from the radar in the early 80s.

weezer had a decent one in terms of commercial success (not necessarily artistic)

pinkerton bombed, green had a couple decent singles but wasn't really that big, maladroit bombs, then beverly hills becomes their biggest hit ever and they get back to their blue album level of popularity. ever since they've been moderately relevant at least with variances (early 10s was the low point probably)

Radiohead - Moon shaped pools

Iron Maiden with Brave New World. They never retired, but they were too lazy in 90's

This. I'm baffled and frankly impressed that fucking Panic! at the Disco is still a relevant entity. Granted I'm pretty sure its just the one guy making pop music under the name, but still

Johnny Cash from the mid 90s up to his death

Based and kingpilled

Attached: Page_&_Plant_-_No_Quarter.jpg (220x220, 13K)

bump

Probably not among the best ever, but a recent case would be David Berman's comeback. It's been 10 years since his last album and he just went and released the AOTY

I don’t think it counts as a comeback when they’re ‘coming back’ from their best album

I SHIT MYSELF TODAY

TO SEE IF I STILL FEEL

Aerosmith
Swans
Celtic Frost
David Bowie

>old man cluelessly covering Rick Rubin's favorite songs at gunpoint
nah

mission of burma

based trips. Cash confirmed burning in hell

>late 80s Alice Cooper
>early 80s Black Sabbath
>unmasked era KISS
>maybe 2000s Bon Jovi?
Though Aerosmith might well be the all-time champions for how far into irrelevance they fell and how huge their comeback was. Also they still had all five of the original guys while most of the other comeback artists had different lineups.

AC/DC with Thunderstruck and Judas Priest with Painkiller don't quite count because both bands were still huge live acts during the mid to late 80s despite the albums falling off, also both of those albums didn't lead to any long-term career resurgence.

Willie Nelson was reduced to playing gas stations in the 90s before his resurgence as America's beloved pot-smoking grandpa.

Eminem since Relapse although he was never really "gone" during the mid to late 2000s and was still doing features on other people's tracks.

I don't know if you can really count Madonna from ROL because she didn't really become irrelevant in the 90s, just took some time off to have kids.

based

Attached: PurpleMountains_PurpleMountains.jpg (320x320, 28K)

Attached: drella.jpg (466x487, 22K)

They didn't really become irrelevant--after all, Warning produced one of their most well-known songs. It just took a while to adjust to the 2000s and retool their image/sound.

Late 80s Heart though they weren't ever as big as some of these other groups or arena headliners.

>dies
>returns to life to release AOTY and save rock for the final time
All praise Homme
He also did some drums in pic related

Attached: e1be04ffcfb318e44878e76de6f617e6.jpg (1600x1600, 157K)

Accept with Blood Of The Nations

King Crimson with Discipline
THRAK was meh though

Swans with My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky, the vastly superior album.

TBTB was a great comeback too I’d say, a totally stellar record after the previous two which felt lacking. I think the problem with Thrak is lack of input from the rest of the band, they were really just acting as Fripp’s glorified session musicians for material he’d already composed. The double trio idea was cool though and they were monstrous live as always.