What exactly is an “avant-teen”? I see the term referenced with regard to Yea Forums a lot

What exactly is an “avant-teen”? I see the term referenced with regard to Yea Forums a lot

Attached: FF13AD63-C7CC-4EB8-9729-38E450929CDF.png (860x929, 262K)

literally have never heard of that term in my life

It’s an oxymoron. Teenagers are universally myopic and ignorant

it's kind of a dated term by this point but it describes a precocious rym snob that values free improv, onkyo, serialist music and gay pop music

It's the cool version of the 15 year old who listens to classic rock and hates top 40
t. was an avant teen

When you were out partying with friends, I was listening to Trout Mask Replica.
While you were out having premarital sex, I was shopping for Faust albums on discogs.
When you wasted your days at the gym in the vain pursuit of vanity, I was arguing about Stockhausen's Kontakte on RYM.

And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gates, you have the audacity to ask me for album recs?

What does an avant teen even listen to?

Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Egor Letov, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Nang Nang, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Nara Leão, Basic Channel, Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Noah Howard, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho, Boyd Rice, Mahmoud Ahmed, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Aporea, Half Japanese, Mega Banton, Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Robbie Basho, Phil Spector, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krüsi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Yat-Kha, Loren Mazzacane Connors, Pärson Sound, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, Arthur Doyle, Shizuka, The Red Krayola, Henry Cow, Magma, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Ksiezyc, Gong, Cukor Bila Smert', cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze, Kaoru Abe, the list just goes on and on

some outdated rym meme from 2013

Cool, I have about 20 artists from that list that I regullary listen to.

Heavily dated term that originally used to refer to a guy called AntiWarhol and his many copycats and followers on last.fm and rateyourmusic, from around 2011 to 2015 or so. Nowadays I guess it refers to any teenage pseud who lords his superior """patrician""" taste in threads on here or rym.
Originally it was gimmicky meme classical genres like eai and onkyo (look it up, seriously), nowadays after the poptimist diffusion it's probably anything that could be remotely described as "experimental", "difficult" or "challenging". It was always a pejorative mind you, esp as a counterpoint and evolution of "mallgoth" which is pretty much synonymous today

>ywn be an avant teen listening to dumitrescu vinyl FLACs in 2006

The internet is too widespread and normalized now for obscure little subcultures like that to pop up anymore. I have to go now, my dad just asked me to put on some cumbia records so they can dance

> after the poptimist diffusion it's probably anything that could be remotely described as "experimental", "difficult" or "challenging"
Nice, by today's standards of Yea Forums, I'm an avant teen, without even trying to listen to actual difficult music.
Just checked the archives for some onkyo, downloaded several albums, will listen to them later.

It was something you got made fun of for aspiring to though...

I miss that Yea Forums, have been here for about four years but didn't really cared for the memes, mostly checked the chart threads.

Poptimism isn't new

Attached: 8326327075_b1e1d74f5c_o.jpg (2558x3300, 3.18M)

chart threads still exist but tripfags are hated nowadays

Yeah, quite similar, but not the same...

death gripz

classic

Meme pasta, but there are some great artists in this list. If you listen to more than a handful of these artists you're pretty cool in my book

the fuck is onkyo

me when i was 18 and listened to Rhys Chatham and Bugskull.

>tfw you have only heard of a few artists on that list and have listened to only 3 of them.

This just looks like a bunch of Scaruffi-core

Two hours of mostly silence with a guitar plucked a couple times in between. A fantastic meme back in 2012

It’s not. There’s some Scaruffi-core on it, but it’s not just Scaruffi-core

A person, normally a late teen, who listens to "challenging", "avant-garde", and foreign music as a fashion accessory to make up for their lack of personality. Most advent-tins are incubated in the popular music rating/reviewing website "Rate Your Music". No advent-tins actually have a taste of their own and drone off of others so as to be accepted into a clique. Many also attempt to showcase their "intellect", but fail miserably when they attempt to do so. Some famous advent-tins include, but are not limited to, the following users:
~heavycoffee
~joy_circumcision
~karlhalliday
~fag_deputy
~hardboiledbabe
~afterstasis
~chumlum
~astigmata
~CircadianPolyrhythms

AntiWarhol and exitsense were the examples par excellence. Bossadelic was the quintessential post-avant-teen whose influence still lives on, diluted as it may be

Why is Nara Leão on the list? Isn’t she just tropicalia but more experimental?

tfw i unironically listen to like 20 or so of these

Based

riceshoes

daisiesfree

bossadellic still listens to obscure cassettes. it's his genuine passion & hobby

Attached: 1562545041966.gif (351x624, 3.82M)

how do you know? he's been gone for years and probably has a life

he's starting his own music company

any proofs of this or are you just making shit up?