What's the deal with Trout Mask Replica

Okay, so I'm a normie pleb with very limited music knowledge whose favourite band is the beatles. So I decided to expand my music horizons, and among other things, remembered Trout Mask Replica, and how I'd heard of it but never listened to it. And Yea Forums's darling, Scaruffi gave it his number one spot, so I thought I'd check it out.

After listening to it, I didn't hate it, but I don't really see how it's the best thing ever. I think it's good for what it is; and what it is appears to be an intentionally disorganized and schizophrenic musical shitpost, but I don't see how it's a transcendent art or anything.

So what do you think? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Discuss.

P.S. Is it bad that upon seeing it wasn't on itunes or spotify and most amazon copies were >$60, I just went "fuck it" and Youtube to mp3'd the youtube upload of it, and manually separated the tracks in premier?

Attached: super.png (1397x1397, 2.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/58nPEe-TU-w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah it’sa meme

I too am a normie pleb, I discovered Yea Forums somewhat recently and saw this album in chart threads and decided to check it out because I thought the cover was interesting. I can't say if it's transcendent art or not but I like this album very much and I've liked it on first listen. I just don't know how some people claim that they needed to listen to it more than 10 times for it to click, I don't feel like it's that much weird.

Based. There's a lot of weirder stuff out there. This album is just overhyped as this piece of genius, when in reality, it's just people trying to make random noise good to listen too.

It's slightly experimental blues rock, badly arranged and written - basically touristcore for experimental rock.

ITT: Coping plebs

t. Scruffi drone

>slightly experimental

Yeah, it's grown on me after a second listen, and after listening to the start and ends of the songs to separate them.

I don't understand.

didn't really seem that impenetrable to me on first listen either
seemed like something that I'd have to listen to a few times in order to truly appreciate but it wasn't an offensive first listen

I mean, it's hardly John Zorn

There is no deal. It's unmusical garbage.

Modern people are brainwashed into thinking that anything non-musical or dilettante is automatically good and only the mainstream doesn't understand it.

Why do you think such garbage like Punk music is popular?

Here’s the simple version of why it’s really good.

youtu.be/58nPEe-TU-w

Punk is good because of the songwriting, not the musical ability.

TMR is good because of the musical ability, not the songwriting. The more you know about music and performance, the more astonished you are by it.

>Yea Forums's darling, Scaruffi
Scaruffi worship is on the decline. Which I probably would have told you would be a good thing like 4 years ago but the poptimists are definitely worse than the avant teens.
I miss CLT.

>I don't feel like it's that much weird.
You're not wrong, it's just that most people aren't lucky enough to think bitonality and polyrhythms sound normal.

>why this awful sounding album
How is it awful sounding?

Virgin Captain Beefheart
>loved by redditors and tourists
>needs 15 minute videos to explain why it’s supposively genius
>baby’s first avant-garde
>made a few mediocre albums and nothing else

Chad Residents
>cool as fuck eyeballs
>anonymous for years, didn’t draw attention to themselves
>avant-garde but still catchy, unlike random garbage beefheart
>doesn’t give a fuck, has swaztikas all over stuff, offensive album names like baby sex
>Actual musicians give them praise instead of stuffy old men
>tons of albums, made pc games, and a movie

Troitski is on the rise and he's a big Beefheart fan also so don't get your hopes up bout this album.

If you could read you would know that Scaruffi VERY SPECIFICALLY states on his sight that beginners should skip TMR and come back to it later when they have the context to understand it.

That being said your conclusions on it are 100% accurate.

Its more about its impact than how it holds up today. For example ween and butthole surfers just wouldn't exist without this album.

The guy just didn't give a fuck. Man grew up in a desert and decided to make some raw ass fucking music. Nobody was doing that up until this point, not like the Captain.