One of the bands that established the Punk Rock genre was actually Pop Punk all along

>One of the bands that established the Punk Rock genre was actually Pop Punk all along
kek

Attached: 127019.jpg (2037x2048, 1.18M)

pop punk is a spook

punk is a spook

is a spook

Uh...punk was never adverse to being "poppy", it was a reaction to prog and what was considered heavy metal at the time before some sperg rushes in and says DAS NOT MATULLLLL but yeah, punk was almost pro pop in a way because it wanted to go back to simple short song structures...all it added was edginess and rawness that pop lacked, punk didn't become "hardcore" until...well, hardcore punk.

Pop-Punk's hatred is pretty dumb then, most of early Punk sounds pretty damn Pop-Punky to me.
What sets this apart from Green Day? Apart from the labels and shit?

Pop punk is not hated because it's "poppy"
It's hated because it was literally pop, it was just normal suburbanites who could have just as easily been in the Backstreet Boys playing safe music.

It's not about the music being simple or catchy, it's about the musicians being a boy band or being rebels...punk was based on being a counter culture, which you can't be when your main audience is 12 year old girls who shop at Pacsun. Ramones played music that was poppy, but they were fast and raw for their time and presented themselves as gritty guys from NYC who did drugs and shit....Green Day and Good Charlotte just were like normies playing pretend.

Green day are just as punk as the Ramones you retarded faggot

Green Day was not counterculture, hence it is not punk dipshit

When we speak purely music wise, let's be honest here, it's clear Green Day's main influence was Ramones.
Green Day just marketed themselves more, Dookie has still plenty of Punk to it (Or Pop-Punk, if you will).
If Green Day never became famous to the extent they have and yet would still play the same music, they'd be viewed differently.

Green Day's main influence is Husker Du. They also seem to be fans of Danzig era Misfits

Okay but lets go back to an earlier point
>all it added was edginess and rawness that pop lacked
Punk can be as poppy as it wants to be, as long as it's raw and edgy...Green Day never was, that's what makes it "pop punk", it's punk for normies who find typical punk to be too obnoxious or harsh or dangerous or whatever, it has nothing to do with having catchy songs, Green Day albums also sound like they have million dollar production

Sure they were influenced by Ramones, wouldn't doubt it.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying Green Day or pop punk in general, whatever moves you or makes you happy is what you should like, but to think they were really "punk" is a bit silly, even in their earlier days when they had more credibility they were still very catering to a non "punk" audience

>is another lmao pop punk is the worst genre of all time xd
Can someone explain me this meme please? Yeah i know Simple Plan and Good Charlotte are utter shit but besides those two i don't find another good reason to think why pop punk is the worst genre of all time

Fantano and p4k hate it, therefore we also hate it

I don't wanna go down to the basement
Teenage lobotomy
SLUG
Oh oh I love her so
Suzy is a headbanger

Delete the rest of their discography and they're still an excellent band just from those 5 songs

just like every other genre pop punk has to be judged on a case by case basis to discern whether the artist is any good or not but pop punk even in the 90s was capable of producing decent bands i.e. the Queers and based Helen Love

Pop Punk is shit
Ramones are shit

Jeff Rosenstock has shown me how amazing pop punk can be.

Why are people talking about punk on mu? I thought it was a clothing style...

One of the best.

BEAT ON THE BRAT BEAT ON THE BRAT BEAT ON THE BRAT WITH A B

pUNK rOCK, YOU KNOW? iT'S MUSIC.