Mid 00s Punk Revival

To all the Brit anons what did you guys thinking the punk revival from 2003 to 2008? Bands like Libertines, Kasbian, Interpol, Arctic Monkeys ect?

Attached: 2015TheCoronet_TheLibertines_GettyImages-144605579041115-1-920x610.jpg (920x610, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QfjiZm_eozE
youtube.com/watch?v=d6inAugDrGU
youtube.com/watch?v=wzy9tsYv07o
youtu.be/CU3mc0yvRNk
youtube.com/watch?v=RQeAvbTVWiU
youtube.com/watch?v=YOhjC6rLu58
youtube.com/watch?v=PE5f561Y1x4
youtube.com/watch?v=MK73Y-W8JJg
youtube.com/watch?v=XX1530GNc6U
youtube.com/watch?v=qMIS2BaDilY
youtube.com/watch?v=j0xosEFe8Ik
youtube.com/watch?v=IRsc57nK8mg
youtube.com/watch?v=AqYeedwEA4E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone remember the Cooper Temple Clause?
youtube.com/watch?v=QfjiZm_eozE
youtube.com/watch?v=d6inAugDrGU

indie not punk what kind of bait is this lad

Was Pete Doherty really a sex icon?

no.

Anyone else watch Gonzo on mtv2?

I WISH I WAS A GIRL
youtube.com/watch?v=wzy9tsYv07o
Yes

Ah yes, NMEcore.

Attached: 1506283774480[1].jpg (3097x1771, 1.28M)

Yes.

Were any of you in highschool during this era of music?
Also
>youtu.be/CU3mc0yvRNk

That's not the punk revival. For one thing, punk was alive and healthy in the 90s and early 00s.

The Libertines are one of my favorite bands ever, but that stuff is called the garage rock revival.

I did see the term "punk revival" a little bit years ago, but people were using it to refer to bands like Rancid and Green Day. It fell out of favor, probably because people realized there was a ton of stuff happening in underground music at the time.

Also, Interpol is considered post-punk revival.

To review:
"Punk Revival": Green Day, Rancid, NOFX, The Casualties (i.e. fashionable pop punk bands with 70s punk influence)
Garage Rock Revival: The Libertines, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Vines, The Hives, The Raveonettes, The Kills, Arctic Monkeys
Post-Punk Revival: Interpol, Bloc Party, White Lies, The National, Klaxons, The Prids, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, She Wants Revenge

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I was a pre-teen when this stuff started (I'm 30 now). These bands were actually really significant in the development of my taste. In middle school I was really into pop punk like blink-182, Sum 41, and Green Day. I remember hearing The Vines, The Hives, The White Stripes, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and being so excited about it. It was such cool music, and it kind of made those pop punk bands almost irrelevant to me. It pretty quickly helped me transition to early punk bands like Richard Hell, The Stooges, DNA, and X-Ray Spex when I got to high school.

It's weird though, alot of the "garage revival" musicians dressed in a punk esque style. I think the two genres overlap eachother.

A lot of those bands were very influenced by punk, but I never saw them labeled "punk revival." I think it's because there are really two eras of punk that informed those bands, both of which were heavily garage. The first was the proto-punk era of The Stooges, New York Dolls, The Velvet Underground, MC5, Television, etc. The other was the 80s punk blues/garage punk era of bands like The Gories, The Gun Club, and Pussy Galore.

i was a kid at the time so i look back upon this music fondly but i gotta be honest a lot of it was wank

Some of it was, but I still think the Libertines were an incredible band, and Jack White's stuff with the White Stripes showed amazing talent.

oh yeah. maybe i was a bit simplistic. on the whole the stuff from the first half of the decade (strokes, white stripes, libertines, franz ferdinand, bloc party) holds up way better than the bands from the second (bombay even though i loved them, the view, the kooks, two door, etc etc). there were still good bands later on - i have a soft spot for early mathy foals before they succumbed to the weed and became a festival band - but the NME really did push some bollocks

where does QOTSA fall on this?

That wasn't a punk revival.

Seems like ALOT of brits hate NME. I watched a old video of Arctic Monkeys excepting a best album award or something and they took the piss too. Were NME wankers during this time?

I agree

Homme had come from the stoner rock band Kyuss, who are pretty much the key band of that genre. Because of that they get called stoner rock sometimes, but they're way cleaner than that. For a minute there was a thing in music magazines where people were literally calling At the Drive-In, QotSA, and ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead the "saviors of rock," but that's sort of forgotten because it's a silly premise, especially since AtDI and Trail of Dead are post-hardcore bands, and QotSA isn't. I have seen QotSA called a garage rock revival band, but they really aren't a good fit for that either, so I think most people just think of them as an alternative rock/hard rock band.

I was too young to appreciate this era. I imagine it must've been fun being around highschool age with this being the soundtrack to your youth.

and here: NME just overhyped everything, whether it was good or bad. you can't be a tastemaker if you have no taste, and NME loved anything vaguely british with guitars

I'm I agree with you. As an American, though, it was fun to follow the NME during the whole garage rock revival phase because they were the magazine that was the most amped up about those bands. It came with the caveat that they'd hype some really shitty pop rock too, which was cringey, but it was neat seeing them talk about some of my favorite bands back then. After that period they were the only magazine that still cared about that stuff for a while, and that endeared them to me as well. At some point NME just got so fucking bad that I stopped paying attention to them, though. I always got the feeling their golden era was 90s Britpop, and the garage rock revival fit that hole well enough that they benefitted. But since nothing as good has happened in British pop music since, they continue mindlessly promoting weak pop rock bands hoping one day something like Britpop will happen again. Sort of like how Rolling Stone is lame because they try to replicate their formula from the 70s, which doesn't fit anymore, or now nobody gives a shit about Maximumrocknroll because they keep promoting shitty 80s revivalist hardcore bands and never understood the advances in crust punk, post-hardcore, folk punk, garage punk, scream or deathrock enough to be relevant. I have no idea what Pitchfork even talks about anymore, but I bet it's still wimpy indie bands, and I think Noisey is probably gonna fall hard when trap dies.

Japandroids doesn't fit into that category

The NME always wanted a "scene" and weren't above engineering one if nothing was happening. This goes back to the 50s and 60s. They got really desperate after grunge conked out for example (pic related is interesting for its historical wrongness).

The NME was OK, but it had a habit of hiring some individual writers who were utter cunts. Their alumni list doubles as a handy guide to people you wouldn't want at a party.

Attached: nwonw.jpg (320x426, 30K)

Their golden era was, probably, the 60s. Although it was an interesting read late 80s to early 90s which is the period I remember it in. Even though the letters page was always 90% about The Smiths years after they'd disbanded.

I think some of the writing is good, but I saw a documentary on Britpop where some journalist, probably from the NME, said "Americans had tons of confidence, but very little talent." He was talking about why he thought Britpop was superior to Grunge. That triggered the shit out of me.

any recs based off of QOTSA/Kyuss? There's some kind of sound about them that really connects with me and I've been looking for more like it

Sleep, Screaming Trees, Fu Manchu, Gruntruck, early Soundgarden, Electric Wizard, Baroness, Yob, Wolfmother... I'll post some videos

all of that is correct except pitchfork got bought by condé nast and went full poptimism. your idea that mags have a golden era then fail to keep up with the times seems right to me, but it's probably unavoidable

youtube.com/watch?v=RQeAvbTVWiU
youtube.com/watch?v=YOhjC6rLu58
youtube.com/watch?v=PE5f561Y1x4
youtube.com/watch?v=MK73Y-W8JJg
youtube.com/watch?v=XX1530GNc6U
youtube.com/watch?v=qMIS2BaDilY
youtube.com/watch?v=j0xosEFe8Ik
youtube.com/watch?v=IRsc57nK8mg
youtube.com/watch?v=AqYeedwEA4E

He was probably talking about Eddie Vedder who went through a weird period of shooting his mouth off and then Kurt shut his own head off. This was very bad for Eddie because everyone was like "go on then, if you're so great, you carry this scene forward" and of course he couldn't.

Two most important events for Britpop, Blur interviews for Modern Life Is Rubbish in 1993 and the Beatles Anthology in November 1995. I bet the documentary didn't mention either. I'm thinking I might have to write a book or something before the alzheimers strikes because already 70% of what I hear is wrong.

the cribs - mens needs womens needs whatever

When I was a teenager I really, really, REALLY liked that video...

you're right. looking forward to new bombay album

pretty weird video user, id never seen that one

>listens to Razorlight, The Cribs and Babyshambles once

Attached: 7025f5c7c6ebec1421e9ed30032b1d71.jpg (500x500, 44K)

Any thoughts on The Libertines drama?
With Pete going in and out of the band and all the other shit from back then.

NME-core, indie landfill was long dead by the time Cults showed up
why are they on this list?
even if NME wrote about them during their rise no kids would have cared by that time

Dude wtf I loved all this shit.
High School was tight.

I wonder how many of these bands have disbanded?

pretty sure all of them
except interpol (if you accept carlos d's departure)