This will never be mucore because of the sexists that roam this board :(

This will never be mucore because of the sexists that roam this board :(

Attached: 220px-Bluealbumcover.jpg (220x220, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p8oWXbGB-7o
jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=2313
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why would anyone want their favorite album to be Yea Forumscore aka memed to death?

It took me a while to learn this, but the last thing you want is for your favorite album to become Yea Forumscore. In the past when I was a young newfag I spammed albums I liked hoping they’d become Yea Forumscore. I now realize that it shuts down discussion of them more than anything. It’s best to just post about it periodically, rec it to anons who like that sort of thing, and hope you can have some comfy threads about it

Same for a few other obvious females that should be in there. Men make the charts men choose men.

Sell me on this album bro

bob dylan got tangled up in it

no one cares whether or not you listen to Blue you dick-slurping faggot

If Bob Dylan had a beautiful voice and was actually talented at the guitar

More like she won’t become mucore because she’s not as waifuable as industry plant teens. Great album tho.

True
My favorite album is Hounds of Love and when it was first so loved here I was pretty happy but that quickly drew some intense contrarianism, people starting retarded rumors about Kate Bush, waifufagging (which caused more haters), and now I'd wager the current mu thinks KB is actually some old industry plant waifu shit and don't even bother to listen or take anything seriously. It was unironically much nicer when she was a cult favorite and you had to be in the know to have heard her.
You can't talk about her music without a thread immediately devolving into shitposting and memeing from a bunch of people who watched 1 or 2 Kate videos on YT.

This. Same with PJ Harvey whos also a really surprising exclusion

Attached: y8agklmrvuv21.jpg (715x1077, 116K)

Shame Joni isn't as good as Bob Dylan when it comes to songwriting. She never recovered.

do you guys like this album

Attached: R-496471-1336225288.jpeg.jpg (599x600, 70K)

Just listened to this the other day. Good shit.

Nah, fuck that. It has nothing to do with sexism. It has to do with the facts that:

--Yea Forums is made up for 15 yo edgelords
--mu is completely meme based and filled with wannabe followers with no individual taste
--Joni is just too elegant and refined of a set of emotions for emo 15 year olds

Yea Forums is like a record store where it's all the young edgy clerks trying to prove themselves without any of those old, experienced music heads that actually know what's up. This album is 10/10 perfection, and nothing Yea Forums ever says can change that fact

literally one of the top 5 most brilliant singer songwriter albums of all time. All your favorite rock stars love this album, and for good reason. She is the GOAT, and this is her masterpiece

She doesnt need to be; she's far more innovative and unique. Dylan is much more simple and straight ahead. Joni is for people who like nuance and unexpected changes in their music

Women belong in the kitchen.

she has an interesting story. one of my faves is her original version of sister morphine cause it's right when her voice started changing from her original qt pop tone to crack whore (in a good way)
youtube.com/watch?v=p8oWXbGB-7o

Based. Rid of Me is a great listen every few months.

yawn. i'm not a feminist so your edgelord magic doesn't rustle my jimmies at all.

but no they don't. most of the greatest chefs in the world are (straight) men. Have you ever met a woman that cooks well? I'd rather a based fat bro with skills was in the kitchen, personally

I love all her albums, she's the greatest female songwriter of all time by a large margin. She seems so humble also, not nearly as egotistically as a lot of the men and not as catty as the women musicians.

Did she write Sister Morphine or did Jagger? I though he wrote it after she OD'd, don't know much about her.

You hit the nail on the head, that's why most of the discussions are about artists everyone already knows about. On the same day you can go through about 5 threads of swans that have nothing really new to say. Most people here seem like they just got into music and only listen to RYM top 200 albums. Anyways Joni Mitchell is based and Blue and Heija are amazing albums.

I love the footage of her on that new Dylan Rolling Revue documentary as she's playing Coyote for the first time on tour with them.

she co-wrote it with him, and was listed as a co-writer for the original release (her version) but when the stones included it on sticky fingers and all their other releases she was removed for some reason.
i've read she was given royalties in secret, but idk if that's just made up by mick and keith apologists. anyway, she was eventually given proper credit in the 90s as one of the songwriters after a legal battle

based Yea Forums keeping the charts respectable. there isn't a single female artist that rises above mediocrity.

Ah, I though she overdosed and died back in the 60s for some reason

Dylan is anything but straight ahead regarding lyrics. That's something Mitchell lacks

I wish people would stop comparing everything to Dylan. His style of abstract poetic songwriting isn’t something anyone else does which makes him unique. But not everyone wants to write like that, people would rather come up with their own unique style instead.

Joni Mitchell fans compare her all the time with him. I never saw a Dylan fan comparing her to Dylan.

I know...make a thread about Eminem or Megadeth and it will top 200 replies easily.

Blue [Reprise, 1971]
As Joni grooves with the easy-swinging elite-rock sound of California's pop aristocrats, her relation to their (and her own) easy-swinging sexual ethic becomes more probing. But thoughtfulness isn't exactly making her sisterly--I've even heard one woman complain that she can't sing Joni's melodies any more. Well, too bad--they're getting stronger all the time, just like the lyrics. From the eternal ebullience of "All I Want" to the month-after melancholy of "Blue," this battlefront report on the fitful joys of buy-now pay-later love offers an exciting, scary glimpse of a woman in a man's world. A

Attached: christgau4.jpg (300x225, 16K)

PJ has always appealed strongly to rockists and if you ever saw her live, the audience is more male than female.

Nothing of Joni's is as direct and in your face as Ballad of a Thin Man or Gotta Serve Somebody.

We had a huge Pantera thread the other day because this board is 15 mentally.

Joanna Newsom really, really loves copying Joni's singing.

"One of the things that always stood out for me about [Bjork] compared with other female artists is that she seems to actually enjoy sex."

For one thing, most Dylan songs have a quotable phrase or two. I bet you can't figure out what Joni is singing about without a lyric sheet. Lord knows I can't.

I'm not a huge fan of that vibrato she uses on this album. Gets a bit tiring after hearing it every other bar.

>emoji
>"sexist"

Go rope yourself

>Joni is just too elegant and refined of a set of emotions for emo 15 year olds
I agree. Too gentle, subtle, and melliferous for Yea Forums.

It's a very pretty album even if I can't understand what she's singing about and all the songs are identical.

>In 1979 Mitchell reflected, "The Blue album, there's hardly a dishonest note in the vocals. At that period of my life, I had no personal defenses. I felt like a cellophane wrapper on a pack of cigarettes. I felt like I had absolutely no secrets from the world and I couldn't pretend in my life to be strong. Or to be happy. But the advantage of it in the music was that there were no defenses there either."

But he could also be indirect and abstract, and did that more and was better at it than Mitchell ever was. Not that she should be, because that's not what she's aiming to do.

Attached: ds8yujlk.png (1517x452, 115K)

You're telling me that's a woman? Looks like Steven Tyler

jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=2313

This contemporary review from Melody Maker suggests that she's a bit self-indulgent lyrically and it may be a bit hard for the listener to connect with her. That may well be true, her songs are very literal and don't leave much to interpretation.

Uh huh. And most of Yea Forums has yet to evolve out of the edgy loud guitar riffs phase.

What the fuck are you talking about? Kate Bush is extremely popular. My mum's favourite album is Hounds of Love. She was literally the first woman in UK history to get a #1 single with an original song.

Little Green was about giving her daughter up for adoption because she was only 20 at the time and didn't have the financial or emotional resources to care for a child.

I like Joni but will agree that her voice is an acquired taste.

Maybe so although by Court and Spark she'd definitely toned down the chirpy singing.

In the UK maybe, in the US or outside, I don't think people know much about her besides Wuthering Heights

It's odd to see Joni lumped in with the whole counterculture movement and she should have been at Woodstock but for her schedule being too booked or the traffic was too bad or something like that. From her interviews she was no enthusiast of acid and free love. For the guys like Hendrix, Jagger, and Steve Stills, I'm sure it was great and they got to fuck thousands and thousands of groupies, but for women like Joni it just meant being pumped and dumped and possibly being left with a kid she had no means to support and had to give up for adoption.

Once you know the meaning behind Little Green it becomes the key to understanding many other of her songs, in which the cynicism about male/female relationships and how people use one another form the theme. It could be said that the entire Summer Lawns album is a treatise on this theme.

It's almost as if...thots oughta keep their legs closed. Imagine that.

Carey is a nice little break in the album between the super-dark tracks 3 and 5. Even if you grew up in a big city like I did, you'd be surprised how provincial some people can be. They never move more than a dozen or so miles from their place of birth, marry someone who lives on the same block as them or went to high school with them, get a job in the same town, and when they die are buried in the same cemetery as their parents. They don't seem to expect more from life than that. Carey and California give you the courage to escape, to see the world.

James Taylor and Steve Stills play on this album as well (Stills the bass in this case).

Great job though on Steve's part--the odd rhythm and time signature on Carey benefits from his rhythmic sense. He also played bass for Judy Collins. Maybe he felt his guitar would have stood out too much and drowned out the vocals.

cringe

My grandpa was a folk singer in the hippie days and he amassed a big collection of folk LPs. And my dad said when he was a kid, the San Francisco alternative stations would sometimes play Joni Mitchell, but Blue was seldom in the rotation and he said he remembered at most two songs from the album before buying it himself. He still has his copy of Blue and is surprised that original pressings of it are so rare these days.

The title track reads like a poem rather than any traditional song structure--it's Joni reflecting on the death of the 60s and hippie idealism (not an unusual song subject at the time, admittedly).

It's more than the death of innocence, it's literal death. She knew Jimi Hendrix and possibly others who ended up not surviving the 60s and that's probably what the "acid, booze, and ass" line is about. Tellingly, she seems dismissive before suddenly revealing her curiosity of this parallel lifestyle that many (and some highly touted counterculture philosophers) are on. Like many serious artists Joni chooses to experience it to understand it and hopefully learn from it also for her life and ultimately for her art. I guess it's not entitled Blue for nothing.

Stephen Stills' production on Blue was nothing short of heroic (Joni herself I'm sure also played a part), he knew exactly how to back off and let the songs stand on their own unlike some professional producers who would have weighted it down with tons of strings and horns in an attempt to produce a radio-ready hit.

Stills didn't produce though, just played bass on it. Joni self-produced the album much like Paul Simon did with his S/T and like you said, in both cases we ended up with much better results than a hitmaking-obsessed pro producer probably would have given. Helping her was audio engineer Henry Lewy, who made an excellent compliment to Joni and seems to have understood her vision really well.

Based

you have to be older than 30 to understand that album

But she was 26 when she made it.

Jesus Christ. Haha.

People were probably more mature back then than 26 year old today.

Jesus Lord. I can’t even laugh at this. Have sex bro (straight sex)

Finally a post that makes sense and doesn’t sound gay af.

>--Joni is just too elegant and refined of a set of emotions for emo 15 year olds
Her and Carole King.

Most of the songs don't even have to do with sex. Please take your dick out of your hand, Bob.

this goes for most male music fans though, not just Yea Forumsncels. Men primarily listen to male musicians

When they do listen to female ones it's mostly because they want to fuck them.

Only pleb thirsty men listen to female musicians only because theyre hot.
When it comes to most male music aficionados, we have other reasons for not supporting female acts and musicians as much as the average male band/musician.
Is it the fault of male music fans that female singers tend to sing about things that only those within their gender can understand, or topics/themes that dont interest men as much? I have no inkling towards romance or Sex songs, and many of my friends feel the same way, which is why we dont have that many female artists in our group playlists when we get together for a bong hit. Its the fault of female musicians for not diversifying the common themes within their music to appeal to men who arent thirsty teenage guys or effeminate gay men .

try to open your mind a little bit and you might gain a better understanding of the broader human experience, rather than just what you're comfortable with

>when we get together for a bong hit
You must be 18 to use this website.

I dont like love songs, but Im till pretty open minded when it comes to listening to music that deals with other themes. How does that mean Im somehow limiting my mind? Most guys I know are like me.

why is she dribbling?