youtube.com/watch?v=7g0U_NJAfmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

t. Brainlet

are you actually this retarded

>opinion
>opinion
>opinion
because other people have opinions that are different than yours

It's the music equivalent of fast food. Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

His period of work from Station to Station to Scary Monsters is some of the best experimental pop music ever made, have you even listened to those records?

Based
t. Faggot.
Nice argument, dipshit.
I can picture your childhood now:
> “Mom! Jeremy called me a faggot because I humped him!”
> “Oh, honey, that’s just his opinion”
News flash, faggot: just because you don’t like something, that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

How about you try to give an actual reason why his music is 'objectively bad' in any way. You can't because you're a retard.

t. Faggot

his stuff is really cinematic, and he's a good actor/storyteller. it's similar to why kanye is so popular

Can you read? He asked why the music is popular, not if it's any good. OP thinks its bad, thus the reason its popular is because other people have a different opinion to OP.

Also the faggot counter is at 3 for this post! Did you come here off youtube videos of Yea Forums greentext stories or something? jfk get out

Based. The most overrated pop act of all time

>>Overly simplistic melodies
>>Lame lyrics
>>Poor 'avant garde' music videos
>Why is his shit even any popular?
Literal retard
No music taste
Bowie invented everything that became newwave in the 80s
Im getting really sick of millennials who have NO MUSIC of their own constantly shitting on things that are above their adderal tweaked brains to understand

an example of music that was formed by Bowies influence
youtube.com/watch?v=LGD9i718kBU

Take the drum n bass pill

Attached: bowie2.jpg (300x300, 25K)

Compare ANY Bowie song to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGuxGGOIV0

youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

youtube.com/watch?v=D9ioyEvdggk

Can Bowie get any CLOSE to the musical quality in rhythms playing skills and/or lyrics?

Notice how I am not even quoting anything remotely more advanced like music influenced by classical, jazz or progressive , math genres.

>Can Bowie get any CLOSE to the musical quality in rhythms playing skills and/or lyrics?
it's a matter of personal taste

youtu.be/ApHM1ct4tdM
youtu.be/q2y9inP4CqE
Yes.

People that prefer style over substance like him.
His 80s work wasn't all that different from his 70s work, but because his image at the time was hetero pop superstar and not artsy gay alien clown, his fans hated it.

Always thought his 70's output was pretty overrated desu. Of course I like a lot of Bowie songs, but him being one of the biggest names in modern music is largely built on the image he created.

In what way are his melodies "overly simplistic"?
In what way are his lyrics lame?
In what way are his BASED music videos lame?

>his 80s work wasn't all that different from his 70s work
You LITERALLY have not listened to his work at all, this is objectively untrue. He was style and substance.

The lyrics to Five Years are particularly cringy (don't think you knew you were in this song)

>>>His 80s work wasn't all that different from his 70s work
I don't even rate Bowie as much as a lot of people but come on user, that's just a fucking lie.

What's wrong with that?

It literally is true
I have heard his entire discography

....i hope this is bait

Might as well say Kid A sounds like Please Please Me you bellend.

Young Americans - Let's Dance
pretty much the same album

And if you love Diamond Dogs but hate Never Let Me Down, you've outsed yourself as someone that cares more about image than the actual music

>In what way are his melodies "overly simplistic"?
Take a look at 'Blackstar' with only the melody taken into account.

youtube.com/watch?v=VrythmsgAVK5qGaM4

Same time signature, same chords played repetitively throughout half of the song

>In what way are his lyrics lame?

Something happened on the day he died
Spirit rose a metre then stepped aside
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried
(I'm a blackstar, I'm a blackstar)
How many times does an angel fall?
How many people lie instead of talking tall?
He trod on sacred ground, he cried loud into the crowd
(I'm a blackstar, I'm a blackstar, I'm not a gangster)
I can't answer why (I'm a blackstar)
Just go with me (I'm not a filmstar)
I'm-a take you home (I'm a blackstar)
Take your passport and shoes (I'm not a popstar)
And your sedatives, boo (I'm a blackstar)
You're a flash in the pan (I'm not a marvel star)
I'm the great I am (I'm a blackstar)
I'm a blackstar, way up, oh honey, I've got game
I see right so white, so open-heart it's pain
I want eagles in my daydreams, diamonds in my eyes
(I'm a blackstar, I'm a blackstar)
Something happened on the day he died
Spirit rose a metre then stepped aside
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried

Fans will probably claim there is a 'deeper' meaning behind the lyrics in it, however in reality he just put in random 'occult' references to shit to impress those who are easily manipulated, there is nothing substantial or transcendental in them

>In what way are his BASED music videos lame?

With the same argument of above, nothing but occult symbols that are well known for anyone remotely educated in the subject are used. The only remarkable aspect of the video is that at least the setting and camera takes are of a decent quality. However the choreography is nothing short of ridiculous, and lack any other substantial meaning beyond 'le occult'

Go ahead prove me that I am wrong, I challenge you

so you think this
youtube.com/watch?v=tRcPA7Fzebw
doesn't sound very different from this
youtube.com/watch?v=VbD_kBJc_gI

>Same time signature, same chords played repetitively throughout half of the song
that's the majority of pop.
those lyrics are cool to me, they sound cool.

Trying to post that video again:

youtube.com/watch?v=VrythmsgAVK5qGaM4

The Beatles actually changed their sound
Bowie just wore different hats

why is simplicity bad

Do you believe that everything has to be super complicated and daring? Bowie’s music is simply well made.

I don't particularly love either album. Diamond Dogs is pretty good but it's one of his weaker efforts from the 70s. Never Let Me Down is his second best 80s album, although it's so far behind Scary Monsters it's not even funny.
>Young Americans - Let's Dance
No they're not, at all.

>Young Americans - Let's Dance
what

Seems pretty based tbqh.

youtu.be/E_Zl1TVA9Kk
youtu.be/ZntIjsQVmpo
>You see, David just tricked you into thinking that these two songs are very different.

>No they're not, at all
Uh, yes they are. Let's Dance is plastic soul for the MTV generation.

>Young Americans=Let's Dance
How are these albums similar? Sure they're probably Bowie's most danceable albums, but YA is more soul and funk inspired, while LD was more influenced by pop and club music.

do you want to post two "similar" songs from the albums so we can laugh at you

But it isn't user, you can't just repeat stupid shit and expect me to take you seriously.

>And if you love Diamond Dogs but hate Never Let Me Down, you've outsed yourself as someone that cares more about image than the actual music
I really hope that you’re just a troll.

You've ousted yourself as someone who doesn't know a fucking thing about music if you think repetition is intrinsically bad.

>overly simplistic melodies
A lot of Bowie's music, particularly his earlier stuff (thinking pre-Berlin era) have very unusual chord progressions. He also consistently experimented with modal interchange and unexpected key changes (for the former, see Heroes and Aladdin Sane; for the latter, see Word on a Wing and Voyeur of Utter Destruction as Beauty)
>Lame lyrics
One can argue over the degree to which his cut-up techniques are successful, but just looking at his material from before his use of cut-up, songs like The Bewlay Brothers, Eight Line Poem and Life on Mars have excellent lyrics.
>Poor 'avant garde' music videos
He's among the pioneers of the music video, this is indisputable, Ashes to Ashes especially.

see this
see this in regards to his simpler music
this thread sucks big scaruffi dong

>works Bowiefags into a seethe

Attached: 5b6b476a764543c98772690fccab1090.jpg (770x1027, 148K)

You literally answered your own question you fucking tard. It's simple, normies like that, therefore he gets popular.

The 80s production is literally the only difference.

t. man that only listens to music deemed "cool" to attract arthoes. Even their tours were similar.

>t. man that only listens to music deemed "cool" to attract arthoes.
Wow, what a compelling argument.
>Even their tours were similar.
In the sense that they both had elaborate sets.

Repetition is part of what makes a composition beautiful to an extent, yet that song in particular is nothing but monotony. Good musicians change rhythms, play with the textures of the instruments, apply a greater range of tempi.

Bowie as far as that song goes, does not.

Beloved artist with an almost untouchable reputation, known to people of all ages around the world.
>vs
Some Italian literal who worshiped by a small subsection of users of a music imageboard.

Luigi can't say anything that matters or has any consequence, who's he gonna make seethe?

none of you are aware who actually wrote most the music for Lets Dance

Attached: nile-rodgers-2-6f7db2684ef9bd2c430dc3851a9568af59929117-s800-c85.jpg (800x600, 115K)

>In the sense that they both had elaborate sets
And some of the same fucking routines. But apparently the 70s one is "genius" because he was a cool druggie and not an out of touch dad

Probably because the 70s album had much better songs and a much better sound.

I am aware, which is why it is one of his lamest albums. Bowie should have been making stuff like Walker did on Nite Flights or Climate of Hunter. I'm a big Bowie fan but much of his output blows after Scary Monsters. Shouldn't even be in a discussion about his work.

Everyone who tries to devalue his opinions :)

>yet that song in particular is nothing but monotony
I don't know what to tell you user, it's meant to be repetitious and trancelike and it does it exceptionally well. If we're talking about the first half of the song at least, it's already a sufficiently unusual combination of disparate instrumental elements that those elements don't really need to "evolve" for the four or five minutes that they play. Good musician are CAPABLE of changing rhythms, "playing with textures", changing tempo etc but choosing not to do that in a given song doesn't make it bad, this is ridiculous. This song sounds unlike anything else, and it sounds good.

Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music.

I've been given no reason to value his opinions any more than I would value anyone else's.

Making irrelevant the relevant sounds pretty based tbqh.

And yet you used argumentum ad populum in your last post. Very interesting :)

Congratulations on basically saying Bowie was "style over substance" in a needlessly convoluted and drawn out way. Which, ironically and kind of poetically, makes your post the very thing it is criticizing. Howling at you.

Reading the chronicles of his times, it is clear that what caused sensation was the show, not the music. The show that Bowie set up was undoubtedly in sync with the avantgarde, as it fused theater, mime, cinema, visual art, literature and music. However, Bowie merely recycled what had been going on for years in the British underground, in particular what had been popularized by the psychedelic bands of 1967. And he turned it into a commodity: whichever way you look at his oeuvre, this is the real merit of it.

There is no contradiction here. I don't value the opinion of any Bowie fan any more than Linguini's. I simply note the sheer NUMBER of them. The worth of any individual's opinion is entirely subjective and in my view, the rational thing to do is to treat them all equally. But numbers don't lie :)

>raises futility to paradigm
What did he mean by this?

>Evangelion is too deep for you mom, you just can't understand it because you lack the intellectual prowess that I possess

>Bowie should have been making stuff like Walker did on Nite Flights or Climate of Hunter.
Damn, I wish this had actually happened. You can see the potential on Buddha of Suburbia, Outside and Blackstar if Bowie had traveled further down the avant-garde route.
He's quoting Scaruffi's criticism of Bowie you mong.

>it is clear that what caused sensation was the show, not the music
I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to say this today, but it is entirely possible for someone to put on a show and dress like a fucking clown and bite chicken heads off and dangle his child off a balcony and cause a stir through dumb stunts, and ALSO produce exceptional music. It's not one or the other. Bowie dressed up weird and crafted a stage persona, and he also created and performed very good music.

Why the fuck should I be familiar with some Italian nobody's opinion of Bowie? Or his opinion of anyone for that matter? More to the point, why is user presenting a quote as his own thoughts?

>he continues to perpetuate the fallacy after being called out
Stop posting user, it's become evident you do care about his opinion on some level even if you won't admit it.

Attached: Seinfeld-Kramer.jpg (3459x2544, 1.41M)

>man_with_cigar.jpg
Might as well post a fedora pic, my man. You need to actually explain how I've contradicted myself, or go home. Scaroofie's opinion on its own, like anyone else's, is next to worthless. But lots of opinions together, whether we like them or not, have some greater degree of worth, unless opinions have absolutely no worth at all (which is a reasonable point of view, but if you believe that then you need to justify valuing Pedro's opinion somehow).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

This fallacy concerns areas of objectivity, not whether art is good or not. Post another cigarman already you poser.

And how is critic worship any better?

Art can be quantified to an extent. The degree of effort and sophistication of a given piece can be analyzed through several factors such as the amount of effort needed to play it, the amount of musical knowledge displayed by the composer, etc.

It would be ridiculous to claim for instance that Justin Bieber's music is just as good as Bach's. Likewise it would be ridiculous to claim Bowie's music anything other than puerile and simplistic .

By using your same 'argument' then Despacito is the best song ever based on the number of views it has on youtube.

>The degree of effort and sophistication of a given piece can be analyzed through several factors such as the amount of effort needed to play it, the amount of musical knowledge displayed by the composer, etc
These factors can individually be quantified, but you can't objectively say that they make a piece of art better or worse.

Why the fuck are rappers such fucking morons?

Fard and his teachings are also referenced in many hip-hop songs. Artists who have made references within their music include: Jay-Z ("I'm going to chase the Yacub back in the cave"[48]), Jay Electronica ("Lost tribe of Shabazz stylin' on the record", "The son of W.D., who hung around in the D, Who ran around in the three, The trap gods raised me, Face all on the Sphinx, Story all in the wall of the pyramids, Niggas know the Black God saved me"[48]), Brand Nubian ("This asiatic black man is a dog spelled backwards, The maker, the owner, the cream of the planet earth, Father of civilization, God of the universe, Manifestin thought with my infinite styles, Making sure this travels twenty-three million miles, The other six I set the crucifix, Because the heart of the problem is this...."[49]). Similar quotes appear in music of artists such as Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, Kanye West, Wu-Tang Clan, Poor Righteous Teachers ("Holy Intellect"), A Tribe Called Quest, Ice Cube ("Horny Lil Devil"), and Rakim ("Mystery (Who Is God?)"), K-Rino ("Point number 12")

>It would be ridiculous to claim for instance that Justin Bieber's music is just as good as Bach's
Why?

It would be ridiculous to compare Bowie and Bieber at all.

troll. fuck off

you sound like a miserable human being and I feel bad for you. If you can't see the genius in Golden Years, Bewlay Brothers, Black Country Rock or Fame then get another hobby i guess?

Attached: points.jpg (500x695, 67K)

youtube.com/watch?v=7g0U_NJAfmM

Scaruffi filters another pleb

Attached: rvw.png (353x1032, 86K)

That's what I'm saying. His later albums could have been a lot less stale. This thread is garbage, but a discussion can be made about WHY Bowie's output after the 80s had so much less cultural impact than it could have. If he pushed the envelope like Walker did in his later years he'd be absolutely legendary. But he didn't, which gives life to the retarded argument that Bowie was hack (he wasn't)

Very fair observation, I'm not sure why Bowie never went openly into avant-garde music like Walker did, perhaps his relationship to pop music is too close for him to completely abandon it (it was his decision to not release The Leon Suites for example). I suspect that because Bowie had the rare opportunity to see the profound effects he had on the cultural landscape early into his career (new wave and post-punk owe an enormous debt to him), that perhaps his need to continual re-invent himself was satisfied already and so he stagnated afterwards. That said, there are numerous moments of inspiration and creativity in his post-Scary Monsters output, I still remember how blown away I was by the singles he released between The Next Day and Blackstar when I first heard them, and they still stand as being among Bowie's greatest musical accomplishments.

All melodies are simplistic