/jazz/

Jazz thread, sobriety edition. Going to NA tonight and actually not using right after or before. Really gonna stay sober this time, but don't congratulate me, just post some bitching jazz albums. What are you listening to?

Attached: 220px-The_John_Coltrane_Quartet_Plays.jpg (220x219, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L9ocIa2W19Y
youtube.com/watch?v=qDQpZT3GhDg
youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI
youtube.com/watch?v=en3YTSViS6s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

new angles 9 is pretty good

Jazz is good

good MORNING everyone.

what is your favorite standard?
bill evans song?
combo album?
billy strayhorn song?
solo album?

>what is your favorite standard?
On Green Dolphin Street. Fun as fuck to play.

>Bill Evans tune?
Waltz for Debby is the classic.

>Combo Album?
I'll forever be a shill for Mostly Other People do The Killing, so I guess This is our Moosic.

>Billy Strayhorn tune?
Take the A Train, every time. Ever tried playing the arrangement of the brass on piano? Sounds fucking marvellous.

>Solo album?
Bill Frisell's Music IS.

How to get into jazz?

Normally I'd say "go see it live", but 90% of the time it's gonna be shit. So start with live albums. That said, I need more info about what you like.

Imo pick one album and listen to it several times. I find that very few jazz albums click on first listen. Also pay attention, jazz makes for terrible background music most of the time.

That's imo, I'm sure many disagree

>hey guys I’m such a drug addict! Isn’t that cute? Totally just addicted to hard drugs and alcohol kek.
>yeah I’m totally trying really hard to get well but I just keep abusing drugs lmao!
>I go to NA a lot but it must not work because I just keep falling back into the same pile of shit. Good thing I can blame NA and so I don’t have to blame myself for my failure to stop abusing substances!
>I hope mommy and daddy are proud of me for trying so hard to stop doing drugs (but I’m going to keep doing drugs anyway lmfao)
>here’s a jazz album that I listened to one time too rofl

Attached: B7C29764-8B46-4F70-ADAB-47ED5F7C41C3.jpg (500x291, 28K)

listen m9, he blogs and posts about jazz. At least he's 50% on topic. Your post on the other hand is 100% terrible and has nothing to do with jazz.

listening to this before the meeting

Attached: 220px-Coltrane1stMeditationsLP.jpg (220x219, 11K)

And what does your post have to do with jazz exactly?

got time for another one, I chose this

Attached: AlbertAylerSpiritualUnity.jpg (200x200, 30K)

I like the sax a lot, but I just wish the drummer did something apart from molesting the cymbals

this is pretty nice

Attached: 6296418.jpg (1000x874, 77K)

Ok I'm on my way to the na meeting now

Mid meeting break bump. Got some coffee. Feels weird at this meeting cause some people I knew from rehab are here.

man that meeting was a real doozie. I can't believe I'm thinking about using now, wtf is wrong with me??

Attached: 220px-Music_Is_the_Healing_Force_of_the_Universe.jpg (220x220, 16K)

oh well at least I'm onto some good ass shit now. tomorrows another day

Attached: Trane front.jpg (699x709, 122K)

listen to a handful of seminal jazz works, then explore some more accessible genres (bebop/hard bop) before exploring the less accessible ones (post-bop/avant-garde/free)

Attached: theblackark.jpg (599x594, 114K)

Charles Mingus has top tier shit

how'd you come to that conclusion

Ahh, I can't choose only one.

Wave. stan getz rendition is pretty stellar.

Autumn in new york

Bluesette, THE chromatic harmonica song.

So What

>bill evans song?
My Foolish heart, block chords are nice.

>combo album?
Word of Mouth
Features Jaco, Herbie Hancock, Toots Thieleman, Wayne Shorter. Really solid album.

>billy strayhorn song?
Haven't listen to much of his stuff

Fusion Jazz is a good place to start.

Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Bird and Diz is probably the best jazz album i've ever heard

Attached: Marc Copland And.jpg (600x526, 108K)

been listening to basically only mingus thus far. kind of want to check out booker ervin, but how do i get into the other big names in jazz? like what are the top dog albums of trane, dizzy, davis, etc.

sneed

depends what you want really
for example for early trane is quite different from late trane
I guess a love supreme or africa / brass would be a good starting point

bumping boomer thread
youtube.com/watch?v=L9ocIa2W19Y

Attached: You And The Night And The Music.jpg (597x600, 72K)

Smooth jazz litterally took over the western world for 30 years...

Was/is it a meme? or is it just another example of the majority is always wrong

Attached: jazz.gif (480x259, 1.24M)

>Smooth Jazz

Not Jazz

Anyway listening to Ole Coltrane today, I remember liking but it's been a while.

title track is nice, the recording is kinda rough though

Anyone know of jazz albums featuring just one soloist? I know of Charles Gayle in Japan, Karou Abe, Derek Bailey, Anthony Braxtons For Alto, and Sonny Sharrocks Guitar. I'm looking for more cause these kinds of albums sound good on my cheap earbuds which I use in bed at night.

dubs and jazz is for fags

Grant Green - Green Street

that album is good but it has drums and bass

Are any of Archie Shepp's other albums as good as this? I haven't found any yet.

Attached: The_Magic_of_Ju-Ju.jpg (200x199, 8K)

Oh I thought by one soloist you meant one lead instrument.

oh no sorry I guess that was unclear

Always enjoy hearing covers of A Night in Tunisia.
>bill evans song?
Take 3 of All of You from the Village Vanguard.
>combo album?
Well I mean the actual answer is A Love Supreme but that's boring. I've been enjoying pic related a lot lately. It's got that E C M A E S T H E T I C but it's often loose or frenetic and not timid about making use of dark textures.
>billy strayhorn song?
I've a thing for Lotus Flower because of Duke's heartbreaking performance of it on ...and His Mother Called him Bill. There's probably also a more boring answer as Duke and ergo Strayhorn got me into jazz but that one sticks out in my mind as saying a lot about Bill and how much he meant to Ellington.
>solo album?
Meh, I'm not a big fan of solo albums. Probably Conversations with Myself if that counts? That feels like cheating though because it's a duet album with overdubs. Interplay is one of my favourite parts of jazz so I actually like quite a lot of duet albums but not a lot of solo records. Things like Solo Monk and the San Fransisco gig are nice because they let Monk stretch out and do whatever the fuck he wants without worrying about treading on peoples toes. Same deal with many Art Tatum recordings. They're not records I seek out a lot though.
More interestingly I fucking despise For Alto but it was one of the most valuable listening experiences I've ever had. I was an avant-teen when I heard it but man did it cure me of that. It was like a revelation that I could hear a critically acclaimed piece of avant-garde music and think it was shit. It got me listening to more conventional music again which I really needed at the time and now I've a more balanced musical diet.
I love Anthony on The Iron Men and Conference though. I just really hate hearing him by himself.

Attached: R-2737360-1361554796-4644.jpeg.jpg (500x500, 39K)

>learned my fourth voicings
>sound like McCoy Tyner on any standard
Feels good

Attached: 1560932515827.jpg (332x336, 10K)

Interesting. I was listening to for alto last night and I was totally blown away by how well he plays on it. Idk tho I just really like single saxophone recordings. It's so relaxing to just have one thing to listen to and just focus on the melody. I zone out sometimes and have to bring myself back to it but that happens when I listen to regular music too. I like the feeling though. I'm probably going to listen to solo sax recordings every night when I go to bed cause they are perfect for my cheap ear buds and I want to get a saxophone. I still remember listening to Karou Abe Live at the Gaya volume 10 for the first time when I was in the library of my community college high as a kite. I went into it not knowing what to expect and I was transported.

Currently playing FEllini 712 by Clarke / Boland big band.

Seems pretty good so far, really enjoying Sahib Shihabs playing on the first movement.

Gonna go through parts of their 60s and 70s discography in the next couple of weeks, have been picking up records by this group for a while.

Attached: Fellini712.jpg (600x621, 68K)

Joe Pass - Virtuoso

Jazz is the ultimate false liquidation of Utopia in art form. instead of becoming a part of reality, it deviously maneuvers technical aspects to give the illusion of freedom. its allegedly "rule-breaking" technical feats like the introduction of syncopation, the solo break, and the like, all act in the dictatorship of cliches and confinement to the 16 bar common time signature. one cannot help but to baulk at the notion that the "freestyle" element of jazz is riddled with anything more than triteness and slavery to the illusion of freedom. in a same fashion, one cannot help but to note how the Jazz timbre was characterized by the vibrato, whereas all other forms of instrumental timbre, such as slaptonguing, growling and other vocalization techniques, were simply dismissed as decadent showmanship, in the name of popular music. to wit: Jazz will be forever trapped in the dichotomy between the ridged and excess, and for that reason the presentation will remain mechanical and soulless, even to this day.

Where do I go from him? He's the first Jazz musician I've gotten into due to me really liking the Peanuts music.

Attached: Vince Guaraldi.jpg (635x635, 103K)

He's pretty much Bill Evans lite so probably Bill Evans.

Got any recommends, or an order to go through Evan's works?

Complete Village Vanguard recordings is the only real essential. Scott LaFaro and Bill Evans completed each other.

>Complete Village Vanguard recordings is the only real essential
This tourist gave me cancer.

Fine, Portrait in Jazz is essential too. I only care about the classic trio.

Refute it

I enjoy Jazz and I ain't reading your essay.

bye

I’ve never been a big jazz guy, but this is one of my favorite albums. Would you even consider this jazz?

Attached: BE105F7A-92C5-4C7F-9D6F-D96995866FBA.jpg (220x220, 11K)

At a glance this sounds like Eurodance with hints of lounge music, not jazz.
Scat vocals don't make something jazz and neither does having a saxophone or a trumpet. Scat vocals are just something jazz musicians invented.
That said, the definition of jazz is fuzzy enough that I could probably give you a lot more reasons why you should call it eurodance than why you should call it jazz. Improvisation is the biggest defining characteristic but even that is called into question by albums like pic related. Also, not all improvisation is jazz obviously so that's a pretty shitty definition too and you need to include a bunch of other ill defined correlation clusters to actually get a good idea of what is and isn't jazz.
To be honest it's a bit of a shit term. Trying to shove 100 years of music consisting of everything from
youtube.com/watch?v=qDQpZT3GhDg
to
youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI
to
youtube.com/watch?v=en3YTSViS6s
under the same umbrella is a bad idea.

Attached: blue.jpg (400x400, 12K)

I'm off to another NA meeting in an hour. At least I'm gonna be sober this time. I just put all the Karou Abe albums and shit on my phone