/prod/ - Music Production

/prod/ no arguing in this thread edition

New to production? Check it; pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj
Post what you're looking for in feedback. GIVE feedback to get feedback.
Post WIP's in; instaud.io
or any other anonymous audio online storage website
DON'T link to Soundclouds or youtube channels (or be banned)

Attached: teens.jpg (900x559, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7P4fatlUbvg
youtube.com/watch?v=jYjwFNUoD-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
instaud.io/3VCw
youtube.com/watch?v=a8knLaeNsD8
youtube.com/watch?v=SOnmO1emsRM
youtu.be/dhLj24b9yGs
youtube.com/watch?v=JAq3g9U4a7c
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1X0WR-bp-zwMkZ4ZGZNTkVKcEU/view
instaud.io/3Viy
youtube.com/watch?v=hmKmdVSJwws
youtube.com/watch?v=4JN2dOM47F4
youtube.com/watch?v=bf78-TRW3VU
youtube.com/watch?v=JorVpCaqfBs
youtube.com/watch?v=JmnyNRZl1uw
clyp.it/fo1b0crj
instaud.io/3VLJ
youtu.be/XdHIX_Xh9QY
soundcloud.com/gnsis777/disintegrate
instaud.io/3VNK
youtu.be/uLJgnmVdhIc
instaud.io/3VQ2
clyp.it/kxbil5h4
youtube.com/watch?v=GRoa6w-wnT4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=IY5Ejus6kgc
instaud.io/3VQt
instaud.io/3VQS
instaud.io/3VTc
en.xen.wiki/w/Riley_rosary.
youtube.com/watch?v=La_omQOGbtI
youtube.com/watch?v=7M1cqIqYmjk
youtube.com/watch?v=xDlZjmxWChM
clyp.it/umw3fzgc
instaud.io/3VYB
youtube.com/watch?v=VDAHfFv7nmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sRT0t9LN-oM
instaud.io/3W2O
youtube.com/watch?v=hnIB6M4DPIE
instaud.io/3W4G
instaud.io/3W5p
instaud.io/3W5w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

remember no arguing this is a friendly thread! :)

Can anyone recommend some (preferably free) synth/effect VSTs for making music in this style?

youtu.be/7P4fatlUbvg

Or is it mostly samples?

how do I replicate the kicks on gas - pop 4

At least post a link negro

youtube.com/watch?v=jYjwFNUoD-Y

i thought everyone heard this song dumb fuck

>i thought everyone heard this song
Why? It's not a very good song (badly mixed too) and the video only has a 100k views
The kick sounds like a pitched-down and low passed 909 kick to me
>dumb fuck
kys

Learn about synthesis, this is obviously a triangle wave with a reverb effect on it. Watch this video and it will explain how to get the tones you want out of VST.
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

Why would you assume everyone has heard this song?

It sounds like shit

Dexed, it’s a free dx7 emulation.

I've been producing music for 8 years boy, I know how to work with synthesizers. I was referring for to the style that the particular sounds

Let me rephrase my question: Can anyone recommend some good 80s-style vsts? More like TAL-U-NO-LX and other retro synth emulations

>for to the
*more to the

Cool, gonna check that out, thanks

The return channels in ableton work in parallel and I find their levels a little too low sometimes. Is there a way to mute the source like in Renoise? That design is fine for adding light effects on instruments, but sometimes I make ambient music and I really need the sounds to be buried under the reverb and I don't want to insert fx on each individual channels.

If you got money, try to find a second hand licence for fm8 (I got mine for 30/40 $), it's the same as dexed, but less buggy and way better.

>Can anyone recommend some good 80s-style vsts?
I believe it was all the rage until recently (now it's slowly getting replaced by the modular fad). You have many company specialized in this (U-He, Arturia, Xils Lab, the list goes on).
For free shit, try synth1 or CM version of U-He VSTs.

>instaud.io/3VCw
Just made this, thoughts?
Seems to me that something's off, maybe the tempo of the melody. I'm relatively new to making beats, so any advice is welcome.

Yes.

Nilesh 'Nilz' Patel.

>Is there a way to mute the source

Set the send to pre-fade, so that you can pull the channel fader down (silencing the dry sound) and still have the channel's sound routed out of the send.

Attached: Untitled.png (891x973, 83K)

Jesus christ. 9 minutes of that same shit looping? Christ almighty

go back to r/edmproduction faggots

>WHY do i use Propellerhead Reason in demo mode? Well, it's not only because it's free - it is fully functional package of top instruments and effects without time limitations and noise bombs. But mostly i like the fact that it does not let me open saved projects which is motivates me to actually finish my OPUSES

Attached: gchp.jpg (498x595, 28K)

Thanks, I didn't even notice that button, I don't think I would have found its use by just reading the description

Anthony please

Shhh that is my secret weapon you are handing out

Bitwig is such a fucking ripoff. We should all pirate it to punish them for thinking they can get away with those insane prices.

With a synthesizer you brainlet

If you pick an existing melody, and move the whole arrangement of notes up or down so that the basic melody is kept but it's a in different scale, is that considered copyright infringement?
I'm guessing the answer is "yes", but I'm curious

>If you pick an existing painting, and shift the hue up and down so that the basic painting is kept but it's a in different color, is that considered copyright infringement?

Attached: OF COURSE IT IS YOU FUCKING MONG.png (687x1024, 1.41M)

The vast majority of people don't have perfect pitch, so the actual notes aren't really relevant to how the melody sounds. Only their position relative to the other notes is, so you'd be still copying the most important feature that makes the melody, and only altering a relatively unimportant detail.
It's why plagiarism lawsuit aren't automatically thrown out when the key is different.

Whether it's actual copyright infringement depends on wether your country's legal system believes that you can copyright melodies or not (for example in the US you can't copyright chord progressions so those are game).

Thanks.
:)

Yes.
Pitch shifting samples doesnt protect you from copyright infringement. Unless you pitch shift and edit them to the point where you cant tell even if someone were to pitch the track with the sample up and down.

the answer is yes, but its way more complicated than yes, who even knows anymore, if you look at the case of the pharrel/robin thicke lawsuit they were sued literally just on the same "feeling" as the gaye song. which is totally legal, they got a really crappy judge though

Take almost ANY kick you have, cut anything above 250hz, roll off anything below 60hz and mix it in about 12db lower in the mix than you would with any regular house track.

If you couldnt work this shit out yourself, what the hell are you producing for?

>opressi

bump

>mfw i download all the boomer vsts to get that boomer-warmth

Attached: A-130951-1165562689.jpeg.jpg (300x234, 9K)

Time to make some boomer records and get tons of boomer pussy

i think i'm just going to embrace the deluded boomer lifestyle t b h.
imagine how much happier you would be if you didn't understand how audio is encoded and could just 'feel' the additional bits and samples.

Attached: NeilYoung-Pono.jpg (790x395, 53K)

I wnder if he knew that his idea was retarded from the start, or if he actually believed it and nobody involved had the balls to tell him.

>imagine how much happier you would be if you didn't understand how audio is encoded
Tbh I'd be much happier if I didn't understand how to breathe.

My guess is that he got handed an mp3 player in the early 2000's that had some 96-128kbps mp3 files with some abysmall encoding so you could hear the antialising all the way down to 12khz.

>Wow, this sounds like shit, how do we fix this guys?
>Well, it's good enough, it's just that some people dont know how to properly rip their mus..
>I've heard those mp3 players, they sound like shit so dont try to pull the wool over my eyes here dexter.
>Well, if we made a mp3 player that could play wav files like they have on CD's I guess it would sound better.
>Let's do it.
>but you dont need to make a new mp
>Less yappin, more fixing. I want that calculator to sound like my 40 000 stereo at home.

Attached: 1486039947585.jpg (480x480, 23K)

Grug like to make music. Grug like the sound of smashing with club. Grug like to go BANG BANG.

Attached: Grug.png (584x449, 130K)

youtube.com/watch?v=a8knLaeNsD8

more like have enough money to buy hardware that's essentially foolproof to run and always sounds good regardless of your engineering skill

I know mr. Young personally and I can confirm that this is verbatim what happened.

im going to be travelling europe on a motorbike, so im going to have limited space exactly like pic related.

i would still like to be able to produce but i'd only be able to carry a limited amount, so i'd like something that could act as a daw or really just an all in one, would something like the octatrack work? It would also have to be easy to charge via solar.

overall i'm kind of stuck and have been thinking about getting a Korg Volca FM, Korg Volca Drum (both battery powered) & an octatrack so I can still sequence and do DAW type thing.

is there anything that would be better suited to my situation? or any recommendations to small form synths/fx etc that I could bring that require basically no space whatsoever.

thanks

Attached: giviHimalayanFour.jpg (1380x967, 710K)

>DON'T link to Soundclouds or youtube channels (or be banned)
this doesn't happen

Attached: 6.jpg (800x600, 61K)

its more to deter newbies who don't realise how shit quality soundcloud is

Are you memeing? You have no idea how hard it is to maintain old gear let alone power it. Anything with tubes and transformers will be a nightmare after years of use and wiring needs to be replaced constantly. You can’t just dump your gear on the floor either and temperature largely influences how a lot of old mixing equipment responds. Your context is off base here.

Name a better production partner.

Attached: F38E1FE8-DF7B-4484-BB71-A500097FE13C.jpg (4032x3024, 2.21M)

skrillex

I am memeing a bit. but once you get over maintenance, hw really is more forgiving. first time I mixed on a proper SSL console was eye opening. stuff just... worked

J Dilla, probably

that girl who gives the blowjob

phenibut

>make main part of track
>nowat.jpg

How do I get over this meme? I swear, it happens with every track I make for like 2 years now and it's driving me insane.

buy expensive moog synths even tho you have no clue about susbtractive synthesis to get that true boomer warmth

Don’t begin building the arrangement until you have all of the parts created.

The problem is that you spend 8 hours making the main part/drop/chorus/whatever and dont work on the rest of the composition. Well you're shit out of luck and probably have to drop that project into a folder for a solid 2 weeks untill you can get it out of your head because now you're used to it just being a 15 second loop.

That or you drag out good old music theory and fix that shit.

Also helps to strip the composition down to it's bare essentials which makes it easier to work with rather than having to work with a fully produced main part where everything you put in after or before is going to sound underproduced, underwhelming or crap in comparison.

The main problem is that you produced the main part before you wrote the rest of the track instead of producing a finished composition.

Learn to write full songs before you produce them. Even if it's electronic music. You need to know where the track needs to go before you start slapping all these bells and whistles on it for it to sound decent.

Or else you get into the habit of writing parts, not songs, which you can actually end up doing for the rest of your life.

Do also realise that not every idea warrants a song. Be aware enough to not be blinded by the effort put in and the production you've done to spot when you're polishing a turd for no good reason.

how do you create a part without creating it

8-bar filter sweeps

finish the fucking song before you start doing production.

Stop wasting time adding additional instruments and SFX, EQ'ing and compressors and verbs and shit before you actually have a song on your hand.

If it sounds like shit barebones, it might be due to the fact that the song is shit and nobody wants to listen to that shit anyway.

Attached: 1539957956412.jpg (570x587, 43K)

How do I figure out where the song should go?

Just "bee" yourself!

1. Learn some music theory
2. Listen to some music and pay attention to how the song is constructed
3. Realise you have no talent and go to college like your mother wanted.

do you have talent?

plenty

>Learn to write full songs before you produce them
poorly listened narrow minded detected :^)

generally okay advice but it's clear you're a keyboard warrior who came to talk down to people to feel better about yourself

lolwat

Attached: (you).gif (480x238, 443K)

i'm saying you sound like a dick who makes music that's completely average for /prod/ standards but still talks with too much self assurance

are you done?

Attached: 1551904714956.gif (263x239, 357K)

you weren't talking with me but ok please illuminate us with your superior compositional techniques

yeah actually, i was bored for a moment.

there would be no point in me expanding and defending what a viewpoint opposite to what you have, it would be some dumb as shit thread ruining argument and we would both be faggots

Now you're talking sense.

Attached: 1499807033152.jpg (223x349, 36K)

...no...

To add to what others have said, re: the drums: You will want to get your hands on the classic, primitive 80s drum machine samples. You can find packs of them. Check out: Oberheim DMX, The Yamaha 80s machines, the Roland machines, etc. There is a tremendously large pack of electronic drum machine single hits called "the machine". Its about 800 or so mb. See if you can find that.

post musig

why?

Bruh, if you aren’t writing all of your backbone tracks on top of the each other over a 8/16/32 bar loop, you are doing it wrong. Keep adding tracks until there is way too much going on, then mute to figure out which tracks sound the best for each part and start organizing them into an arrangement for full song.

Doing this ensures all of your tracks gel musically in the end and helps separate “melodic creation” phase from the “arrangement/structure creation” phase. Trying to jump in and out of those two phases will burn out anyone.

>You need to know where the track needs to go before you start slapping all these bells and whistles on it
Spoken like a true slave to linear recording.

to add onto this: get the alyjames lab VPROM for those drum sounds. way better than any sample will be as it reads the actual eproms from the hardware

>hardware that always sounds good
Have you seen any gear boomer videos on youtube? They manage to sound like shit with 50k in hardware
youtube.com/watch?v=SOnmO1emsRM

yeah sure they do lol
youtu.be/dhLj24b9yGs

Thoughts on Omnisphere? I know a ton of mainstream producers use it but I wanted to hear other opinions on it before I spend $500

pirate it

what do you mean? this sounds good. (except the kick and snare which are obvious bad samples)

it's the composition that's holding it back, synths sound wide and lush out of the box. you could do a lot with them in a more modern setting

Korg Electribe 2 supports ableton project exports aswell as wavs and is a decent and small groovebox with a good engine that is also found in the kingkorg. Make sure to update the firmware. iOS obviously has a lot of music apps, korg gadget is a fun one but there's also many free ones available for sketching. Moreover there's (may god forgive me for uttering these names) the OPZ and OP1.

why does everything sound so good wtf

rappers and music producers

youtube.com/watch?v=JAq3g9U4a7c

it's lots of ready to go high quality sounds.... if you've heard a demo and like it you pretty much know what you're getting. if you can afford it i don't see why not

i've seen comments that it has a "powerful" synthesis engine as well, i have no idea though, i don't think the people buying omnisphere are different from the people programming fm8 or whatever from scratch generally

>800 or so mb
that's funny. it took me 20 seconds to find it again

drive.google.com/file/d/0B1X0WR-bp-zwMkZ4ZGZNTkVKcEU/view

i've since added outside drums to a personal compilation (this one isn't mine) and i'm at 7 gigs of raw drum machine wavs lmao. i use like 200 mb of that.

Demarcus if you're reading this is that pack i told you to download 100 times and probably never linked it

meming?
regardless, fuck off

It's good if you want to have a solid set of synth, pads and acoustic sounds at your fingertips, but if you dont mind having 200 gigs of kontakt libraries and vsti synths and knowing how to use them, there is better alternatives out there. But than compiled costs way more than the 500 you have to shelf out for ohmisphere though.

I've never used it myself for any long stretches of time, but I always find it sounding dated. (It just sounds stuck in some 2003 ish place)
But that really depends on what you're looking for. It wont bring the cutting edge to your productions.

Anyone have a download link to Mono/Poly?

Is there some kind of cheap equalizer controller out there that will let me adjust the EQ of a song in live time? Something that works for both when playing music through a speaker and when playing through headphones?
Sorry if I sound retarded

cringe

most good audio interfaces will have an eq built in.

my motu has all of the standards for MackieControl along with some zero latency DSP

That entire format is such a meme. Bunch of new york loft hipsters sniffing their own farts.

100% the cringe composition, so grim

i agree although i'd rather see the ones linked than the stupid trap producer bullshit ones, that struggle to make a 4 bar loop in 10 mins. at least this one is half interesting

worth every penny if you actually use it for its synthesis capabilities and everything else, and not just use it as some nexus type crap, and never actually use it for what its meant for

Good for scoring documentaries

I wanna get in on the Post-Demarco scene. What chords, scales, and instruments (besides guitar) does he frequently use?

Attached: 1_l2juOVZVqDlkJhh0v1v7sQ.jpg (1200x800, 180K)

post a better one then

please don't. demarco unironically killed his career with his new album

I specifically want to make stuff like his new album though.

have full on autism and use a phaser

What's a phaser?

have sex

Gotcha thanks

I made a mellow rock piece. lemme know what you think of it.
instaud.io/3Viy

Attached: maine1.jpg (2048x1152, 614K)

why can't I be this good at making shit on the fly

a tripfag that ruins threads

it wasn't made on the fly those niggers have it all planned out before
and its just shittty noodling around anyway, nothing you can't do with a bit of practice

These were some synth jams I bookmarked for future reference. The only factmagazine video I can remember liking somewhat musically was Varg's. I mostly tune in for the workflow stuff but can barely watch anything there. Most of the people are such asshats all around but that is what their urban and aloof target audience loves. Also there's almost zero overlap with the type of electronic music I enjoy.
youtube.com/watch?v=hmKmdVSJwws
youtube.com/watch?v=4JN2dOM47F4
youtube.com/watch?v=bf78-TRW3VU
youtube.com/watch?v=JorVpCaqfBs
youtube.com/watch?v=JmnyNRZl1uw

piano clavier thing that goes throughout the whole track just sounds cheap and like one of those crap built in FL studio ones

kick way too boomy for my liking

way to repetitive and in no way needs to be over 6 minutes long

the last minute of the track was unironically the best bit, remove everything else and work with that part.

get new drum samples/mix them better

How do I make this louder?

clyp.it/fo1b0crj

>instaud.io/3Viy
>rock
Genres aside. It's very dull, nothing interesting going on from a compositional standpoint nor production. The drums have the same pattern through out and the guitarish pluck you're using just gets grating after 2 minutes.

And that hi hat is hurting my ears, some really annoying 10khz frequencies on that hi hat.

Introduce some other drum patterns to spice things up, use some other drum samples with a bit more meat on them or layer something on top of what you have. (The snare on the last part was alot better than the thin, ear rape of a snare in the rest of the song) Add some textures, pads or additional instruments to seperate the parts more.

Attached: 129099886145036139.jpg (193x196, 13K)

>clyp.it/fo1b0crj
fuck off you need to turn that shit down jesus christ what absolute trash

That doesn't answer the question tho

Frequency clear out. Clear out anything below 30hz and everything above 18khz.
Go back to your track and go through every channel and clear out all frequencies that isnt needed.
Hi hats dont need lows, voice chop dont need below 300hz. Etc.

Dont place things over each other in the stere field. Dont put one synth at 75% left and another one on top. But it sounds like you just have all your synths on maximum wideness so you'll have this issue no matter what.

For loudness, less is more as things have just the right amount of space in the spectrum.

Other than that. Never post that shit here again.

i dont think you even can thats why, and if you can then i don't even want to know about it

instaud.io/3VLJ

Guess what bands I listen to.

At the drive in

not bad

>instaud.io/3VLJ
deftones

I never heard of these until now

wow so original so creative 3 chords so good next kurt cobain wow

it was 2 lmao

do you really think I paid attention to you shifting your pinky one note?
It sounds like you've played guitar for about a week.

nice vids, love synth4ever’s stuff

I recently found this guy, he’s a movie director with a synth hobby and does live ambient stuff like that
youtu.be/XdHIX_Xh9QY

cmon. you can give better criticism, simpleton.

mbv

Why are you playing downstrokes like a retard? Jesus shuffle the rythm a little and practice your chords, you spend like a week between chord the two chord changes.
And practice to a metronome, please, you cant even stay in tempo.

You're also out of tune

soundcloud.com/gnsis777/disintegrate

Attached: IMG_20171003_131918240_HDR.jpg (2448x3264, 3.7M)

good EQ

>soundcloud.com/gnsis777/disintegrate
never post again

thanks

when you get tired of a piece of gear, do you put it in the closet so you can use it again one day or sell it for more money towards other gear?

Asking for friend

keep unless it's absolute trash and easily replaceable

Put it in the closet for a month or two and see if you miss it/want to use it again. Also make sure that buying new gear isn't a wish fostered by general frustration regarding composing and mixing. I've often thought about selling my microkorg because of this and that but in the end it's on almost all of my stuff and I'm glad that I didn't give in to any stupid decisions caused by a musical dryspell.

Yeah, that's modular used in a musical fashion. Elegant with fun timbres and actually going somewhere.

Which DAW would be best for guitar?

Attached: nig.jpg (288x288, 12K)

Cubase

Digital Performer

Upon further analyzing Cross, I notice that their sound is very towards the middle, yet in my music everything sounds very stereo. Do you think it wise to use a Utility in Ableton on the master and reduce the width?

sample in mono or tame the sides with a mid/side eq

rec synths available on 32bit WIN pls

Attached: PWC_8412.jpg (920x659, 108K)

Not renoise

all of them?

I dont think I know of a single one thats 64 bit only.

Anything but FL Studios

the most fun ones i guess
alterego nd omnisphere 2.5 is 64bit only

YES JUST USE UTILITY
stop posting now

Anyone knows where can I download the Antares Auto-Tune EFX+ VST?
I already searched on rutracker and audioz with no luck

Attached: 1562020622542.png (638x579, 772K)

>spend 8 hours making the main part/drop/chorus/whatever
lol try 1 or 2 max

Why did you feel it was necessary to insert yourself into a conversation people had 5 hours ago?

let me google that for you

I just searched on rutracker its on there several times. Just look for antares

u-he diva, FM8, something that emulates the prophet 5 (arturia?). Perhaps a PPG wave emulation if you enjoy wavetables.

It's on tpb

Yeah, but it's only the old stuff.
They released a bunch of new stuff this year, like the EFX+ and Pro versions of auto-tune.
Thanks for the (You) tho

Attached: 1488253227419.gif (480x336, 867K)

cocaine and alchool

>pass at own risk
I'm spooked.

Same as , they all have old versions.
Lastest version is 9, it came this year and added a lot of features.
Thanks for the (You), have a (You)

Attached: 1436083551118.jpg (600x582, 36K)

instaud.io/3VNK

Just jammin out. Want to make the chorus riff/melody longer.

it's not dull, but kinda to much going on and the melody is just meandering across scales without doing anything definitive.

Also the melody goes out of key a couple of times, most obvious around the 7-9 second mark.
Either that or this is some obscure use of polychords or atonality or whatever that I'm not familiar with. Either way, it sounds off to my ears.

That said, quirky and fun little tune, but not something I would listen to on my spare time.

I don’t go out of key or do any weird chords. It’s interesting to me that you hear that. I’ll have to listen to it tomorrow with fresh ears

Another thing I notice about Justice that leaves me confused is their use of reverb. They almost never use it on Cross except for gated reverb on snares... I think. The gated reverb on the snare throws me off and with how highly-compressed the album is, I can't tell how much reverb they used. Take Let There Be Light for example. It sounds like maybe 33% wet/dry with a 500ms reverb delay - so little as to not be noticed.

Just more musings from an amateur

How do other anons keep themselves safe from the vaginal menace so they can focus on making choons?
Pic related is one of my virginity protection measures.

Attached: F4B41B70-BE5A-43A5-8F00-EB84CA7D358A.jpg (550x529, 55K)

I have a question. Do you think it's better to create music without mastering effects on?

Throw a limiter on the master, but don't actually master until you're done with the mix

just jerk off bro

>Just more musings from an amateur
just what /prod/ needs, thanks

i ignore social relationships altogether :)

you shouldn't but it's not unheard of at all
... once you're pretty into the song anyway

it probably has hardcore fuck you in the ass ilok that hasn't been cracked

If no one's heard Let There Be Light demo, I recommend you check it out. It shows that Justice started out with a pretty shit sound too. They had the ideas there, but you can definitely tell they had some assistance with the bass and odd synth sounds thrown in here and there. And obviously, they compressed it all to hell, which imo, gave the song a more epic sound.

youtu.be/uLJgnmVdhIc

It's inspiring, because if you can get the music and all the sounds down and find a good mixer/mastering engineer, you're golden. They play a huge role too. Justice was carried by their good songwriting and sample selection.

Now I'm off

ilok and uad are unironic pleb filters

>inspiring that they had somebody else fix their shit
yeah okay

i can't put my finger on why your posts are so annoying and it's confusing me

>punishing people who actually pay is a pleb filter
you cannot meme

>i can't put my finger on why your posts are so annoying and it's confusing me
Confidence.

How is paying for my tools a punishment? If you have no skin in the game you won't hustle hard enough.

EFX+ doesn't require iLok, according to their website.
Damn, I really wanted to try it out now that Live finally supports VST3

Attached: 1520492418674.jpg (567x437, 35K)

I didn't even know what to classify it as.
Good advice though.

>the last minute of the track was unironically the best bit, remove everything else and work with that part.
The last minute is basically the same as the first though, just with the distorted guitar and different snare. I will def cut it down, make it less repetitive. And different hi-hats and snare, cause I agree the one at the end is much better. I wanted the early snare to sound kinda unsatisfying so that the one that comes in later sounds "better" but it doesn't really help when it goes for the first 5 minutes of the whole piece.

Thanks guys.

Find an art ho and keep it. She will understand what you're doing and leave you alone. It will also keep at bay all the self-pity/frustration bullshit (very important for me).

I barely go outside with the exception of the gym and there are no art hoes to be had there. I wouldn't know where to go t b h but I am in NYC if you have any suggestions.

Maybe, but personally I slap a tape plugin on my master as soon as I think I have a workable idea.
Also it really is a good idea to put a limiter on there from the get-go.

>I am in THE HIGHEST POPULATION CITY IN AMERICA if you have any suggestions
lol

I'm pretty burnt from the club scene and looking to find different kinds of chicks, perhaps you missed the part of how I don't go out much. Plus theres only so many times you can go to the MoMA.

Finally found a sample I like

instaud.io/3VQ2

the what?

that's dope my nigga

hows the like mixing on this

clyp.it/kxbil5h4

What the fuck is mastering, bro? I just level everything and slap FabFilter Saturn on it.

Same bro, even if it's shit, I just slap a FabFilter Saturn™ on my master and it's a bop.

I'm not joking thats really what I do

tips for getting bass distorted like this?youtube.com/watch?v=GRoa6w-wnT4

Does anyone know a synth preset in flstudio that sounds similar to the synth in m.youtube.com/watch?v=IY5Ejus6kgc ? Or a link to a VST.
I have no clue when it comes to sound design and don't want to fuck around with synths for hours to get a similar sound.

/prod/ can forget about the eight 8s get, but can we get an 808 get?

instaud.io/3VQt

I can't help you much because I suck with the dating thing, but I'd say you can try volunteering or travelling, that's how I solved that problem and usually, people you meet are not scum or normies.
Another way is to hit on your coworkers (you can pick them carefully), but I think it's a little risky when you're American...

>the club scene
why would you do that to yourself?

>you can go to the MoMA
don't hit on strangers in public place, you're not in a movie and that's creepy

everything I make is shit and sounds the same. I want to improve, but my brain goes in self-destruction mode whenever I want to do something new.

Attached: image.jpg (600x744, 22K)

i have the opposite problem, if i don't try something new, I don't get excited and what I do is shit. I completely rely on discovering new techniques/ideas.

I like the sample I got here after some tweaking, but I don't like the synth. I'll change it to be not arpeggiated and make it plain chords tomorrow.

instaud.io/3VQS

bump

The price isn't higher than usual.

Has anyone tried the new version? I have better things to do than learning a new daw, but I'm curious about the new features. I'll give the demo a shot. Any tricks for mitigating the demo limitations? (I think you can't save any projects)

they are the only real daw that you can use on linux sadly

Ok I have an idea I'd like feedback on. But it is odd. It's microtonal so sorry people with perfect pitch and theres a trick to the time signatures that you could probably work out.

Mixing isn't final ty qts

instaud.io/3VTc

Attached: 1496196156027.png (867x670, 499K)

>instaud.io/3VTc
Not bad, but it feels like it needs a drop after that (or else it's a little aimless).

What "scale" do you use?

I have noticed that when I use tun files with VSTs, the notes that aren't from the diatonic scale sound off and it's not because they're detuned, even when I play one note with no relation to others (I don't have the perfect ear), I can still feel the weirdness, do you know the reason by any chance? At first I thought it was just the sound of xenharmonic scales, but I'm starting to think it's the VST that can't handle it. I can barely hear it in your tune and now that I'm thinking I can't either when I tune my guitar.

That is a good suggestion, thanks.

The scale in this was en.xen.wiki/w/Riley_rosary. I'm like 90% sure because there might be other cactus rosary tunings.

>I'm starting to think it's the VST that can't handle it

What VST are you using? I'm using serum for my microtonal needs and my ear isnt super amazing but the notes sound the same as they did in Scala. Even so, the .tun files are basically just text and plugins that have had microtonal functions built in would account for this. UNless its shit.

>hcactus rosary tunings
Is there a reason you chose this tuning in particular? Personally, I'm a little lost, there are so many, so I stick to simple TET scales and the stuff that Harry Partch used.

>What VST are you using?
TAL stuff. I also used Serum, but not anymore.

I don't really remember why. Themain focus of this track was originally the time sig fuckery so idk i guess i just chose it.

As for choosing scales, I mostly just go for numbers that have meaning to me, not for any numerology stuff but just because its a way to choose. This particular tuning was shown to me by a cool guy called Lighght.

Tal stuff is usually good but i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt have a good uh, pitch interpreter. Is there any particular reason you dont use serum?

>Is there any particular reason you dont use serum?
I don't use wavetable synthesis that often, so ableton's wavetable is good enough for me.

>This particular tuning was shown to me by a cool guy called Lighght.
A friend of yours?

fair enough but if you have doubts about some tunings, do try them in serum anyway, if you have it.

But if i may have your attention, i think you should really use serum. you dont have to use its wavetable options at all, it has so much more to offer than most other plugins. and its never given me an issue with microtonal stuff.

I swear I'm not Steve Duda

and yeah he makes good music and art, really glitchy stuff

Maybe you're right. Actually I have a Splice plan for it, but I noticed I didn't use it that often and I hate all the EDM shit that comes with it.

>I mostly just go for numbers that have meaning to me
So, what consideration comes into it? Like, "oh, this one has ratios just like my parents birth dates" or something like that?

yeah thats basically it. for me, ive noticed the number 183 around a lot and its kinda spooky so i use that. the other day i found a tuning file that had been made on the day i was born so i used that for some stuff, its great fun.

get

Attached: IMG_4879.jpg (480x556, 246K)

FUCK

>smoking weed in 2019
cringe, start doing stims already, the white men's drug of choice

Now that I'm thinking, the "weirdness" I'm talking about probably comes from the fact that some patches have detuned oscillators (or even have one oscillator set to a fifth interval) and it the microtuning part of the vst probably don't take that into account. I'm still a noob in that field, so...
When you use microtuning, do you create your own scale? (just pick the notes you like and avoid the rest)

can someone tell me the effect in pop music where there's like reverse vocals and a lot of reverb for 2 seconds before a singer starts to sing?

please

Reverse reverb maybe?
Could you post an example?

It's probably exactly that, just take the first word or two of your vocal, reverb the shit out of it, record the whole tail, and then reverse it.

yo that's dark af, banger for sure if you get some hard nigga to spit on it.

Overall pretty good.
I only have some subjective opinions about it. Take them as you will.

The guitar (or whatever it is) loop/riff sounds too happy for me, and it clashes with the otherwise dark mood of the song.

That detuned sound that comes at the drop sounds too digital and clean for the rest of the sounds. Also too bright for the same reason, and the melody it plays seems too random.

The kick is too distorted/noisy.

bump

Where can I lern more about the functions used in music? Is there anywhere that gives tips such as "use X degree to show X" and "use chord III to mean X"?

Fuck yeah YouTube is finally suggesting secret weapons tutorials.
youtube.com/watch?v=La_omQOGbtI
youtube.com/watch?v=7M1cqIqYmjk

They're all for brostep but it's just the beginning. The more I watch them, the more the algorithm will think it's what I'm interested in, so it will give me more and more of them the more I watch them.
The ones about mainstream stuff I'll only watch twice, and the more interestign and underground they are, the more I'll watch them.
This way I'll provide the algorithm with a Darwinian selection of what I'm interested in, so it will show me more and more obscure and interesting techniques, until it will finally show me the holy grail of YouTube tutorials.
A tutorial so gamechanging that Sundar Pichai has selectively blacklisted from the suggestion algorithm to keep it under 5 views.
A tutorial so obscure that even General Nakasone himself couldn't track (which is why he's still a fucking pleb).
A tutorial so immensely powerful that some say you don't even have to undergo SRS to learn from it.

One day brothers...
One day I'll finally youtubetomp3andmp4converteronline.com it...
And tell absolutely none of you cunts about it.
Consider yourselves lucky to having even read my words and being able to tell your moms that you're at one degree of separation from the purest form of /prod/ enlightenment.

Now excuse me, but I have a few thousand tutorials to rewatch.

Attached: 1509141.jpg (650x325, 195K)

>One day I'll finally youtubetomp3andmp4converteronline.com it...
are you implying that all rubber sounds originate in the depths of youtube?

This is old news. We've already found that.
youtube.com/watch?v=xDlZjmxWChM

what do you mean by "real daw"?

I thought that was common knowledge.

FUUUUCK DELET THIS NOW BEFORE IT GETS ARCHIVED

hi all
I'm not really happy with how my 808s sound most of the time
the compression, the timing and the key always seems off to me. it's a bane in my existence
could someone give me pointers?
example:

clyp.it/umw3fzgc

>could someone give me pointers?
like... put it in tune???

dude nobody wants to hear it but the "secret" to good 808s is making your own and playing it from the synth instead of sampling it

instaud.io/3VYB

r8 my beat bros?
guess what i sampled for the sounds?

There's reaper which is even on the repos now

>beat
is it supposed to be or are you just calling it that because you're a zoomer? (i'm seriously asking)
somebody could rap over it but

sorry i'm gonna go with a light 4 here, it's not good. the synth thing is kind of cool though
my guess is AnCo just because QuIrKy vocals

legend

i called it a beat because it's just a starting point, kinda sarcastically too, because of how little the drums do for it

alrighty guys
taking a break from the arca-ish idm crossover banger to make plebian trap (:

i had to bump

When you're done make sure to post it, along with a long story of all your problems (at least one has to be neurological and debilitating) that we'll turn into a thread-derailing pity party for you, only to turn on you for not being anonymous enough and ignoring all our advice.

whoa hey buddy i've /blogged/ before but i've never replied with the intention of getting a pity party or any of that shit.

always stay anonymous (:

All things move in cycles if you stand far enough back.

This is how I imagine all of you:
youtube.com/watch?v=VDAHfFv7nmQ
Except music production instead of singing.

Holy fuck kinda but I have way too much social anxiety to ever do this shit in public.

reminds me of sammy

I could see him posting something like
>singing is what i should be doing i know it
>gaming is just my entertainment, it's not my life

>like... put it in tune?

Attached: zoy.png (371x371, 196K)

what are you even trying to say?
learn to meme

meme of the day

Attached: meme.jpg (640x368, 24K)

Hey fuck you don't make me start tripfagging

Attached: I've got more than a hundred memes and I'm not afraid to use them.png (945x559, 69K)

then stop being so fucking slack and start posting memes

whats the best DAW for dj mixes ?? Fl's tempo automation literally doesn't work

Attached: fall12.jpg (683x1024, 162K)

luv u bby

The last time someone talked to me like that I decked her right in the mouth and she disowned me. I ain't afraid of you cunt.
Besides, memeing is an art and I can't just decide to piss if there's no water in my body, you feel me?
The memespiration has to strike me first.

youtube.com/watch?v=sRT0t9LN-oM

That's pretty gay my man.

who the fuck do you think you are talking to me like that you little shit, ill come over there, bend you over and make you my bitch if you say something like that ever again.

now start with the daily memes again or there's gonna be hell to pay

looks great!
thanks man

Tbh you sold me at >bend you over
Let's do ths big guy. Where you at?

>That's pretty gay my man

>you sold me at >bend you over

so which one is it?

I said that's pretty gay as a compliment.

There's no way for a man to say something approving about another man that isn't a bit gay so it's better to go full homo about it for simplicity's sake.

Attached: 1498696505144.gif (356x200, 1.4M)

i just want you to make love to me

I'm ok with that, as long as you shave your beard.

That'll be 20 quid.

Attached: being sammy is suffering.png (1000x1512, 1.6M)

£20 you avin a laff senpai?

If you can't afford it just tell me and I'll try to work out a deal, no need to be a cheeky bugger m8.

listen ill do a fiver and a half eaten pack of extra cool breeze gum that's been open for a while and is a bit soft but still good

Alright fuck it. Top or bottom?
I do both, but if you top you should know I'm against enemas because they deprive you of the precious gut flora.
Unless it's coffee, then it's fine because it amps those little cunts up and iit's all good.

i've never bottomed but im willing to try it but I need someone to make me feel safe, as I find it hard to trust people if you get me?

Sorry my fetish is to go hard as fuck, cum as quickly as possible, and while you're trying to piece the mess that I turned you into together, I steal your wallet and run away (at which point I ejaculate once more).
We're not made for each other it seems, so I'm out.
Goodbye, my almost lover.

are you black or jewish

Both

based

Attached: 64.jpg (1000x500, 50K)

wow, you've broken my heart

At least that's the only thing I broke.
Shitting yourself all day isn't fun, trust me.

>this thread

Attached: aa0.png (500x276, 197K)

will you at least be in a terrible experimental music outfit with me, so we can at least make this relationship blossom, if not sexually?

/prod/ has been terrible for ages, just go ask the boomers on kvr/gearslutz questions if you want real answers

lads, i've used ableton for like 8 years now and am a bit bored of the workflow. going to give studio one a shot, wish me luck.

No.

goodbye forever

Attached: ccccc.jpg (780x439, 34K)

>ask the boomers
that's more for people who actually have gear and make more rockist music

unironically reddit is better for edm and hip-hop than /prod/ (though you won't get feedback on your tracks)

there are forums for experimental electronic and shit but eh... seemed to insular imo.

You know I don't /prod/ to make music

Attached: UI as the main selling point.png (660x661, 173K)

let me in on your secret do you /prod/ to get nice boypucci?

I don't seek te boipucci.
I AM the boipucci.

All I want is a boomer daddy to hug me and tell me that my mix is going to be warm.

baby all u gotta do is run everything through an old SSL desk for instant warmth!!!!!!!!!

No you don't understand.
I don't want warmth. I want daddy to reassure me about it.

son your mixes are so warm uwu :))))
now come and take a seat on daddies lap hehe

Attached: 8151_506407702754158_140655338_n.jpg (856x480, 48K)

Came instantly upon reading this.
Thank you, but now I'm disgusted with myself and am gonna turn off the computer and go think about my life.

oh no let daddy pensado come and clean it up for you! oh my you've made such a mess hehe

What a disgusting faggot. I can't believe you just wrote something so gay.
Seriously dude, stop it, it's embarrassing.
I'm not even getting hard again, so please don't post shit like this because I am most definitely not getting hard again.

oh my you seem tense, let daddy dave get behind those shoulders, oh my! you've definitely got a lot of stress, does that feel good? i hope so

No, stop!
Don't get some weird ideas just because we did stuff the other day.
And the day before.
And the whole month of June.
Stop it.

im sorry
i will never touch you again
i didn't realise it had led you on so much
you will forever be in my heart x

And you will forever be in my mind, every time I'll have to buy adult diapers, every time I'll have some hair in my mouth, and every tme I'll see a man spread food on his entire body.
Fuck you I'm not hard, it's the zipper.

>want to play with my linnstrument

Attached: dsc_4425.jpg (794x663, 80K)

now we have shared intimacy will you be in my audio outfit

instaud.io/3W2O

first half
>drums cool
>synth a bit meh doesn't fit imo

second half
>cool

>last bit
same as first

Only if you can be in THIS outfit.

Attached: 2eff675d2a613e839a97ff938fe552ae.jpg (540x771, 47K)

fuck that looks scarily close to my dad unironically

He certainly looks like my kinda dady :d

ur my kinda daddy

i love /prod/ because its good for shit posting, but where are some decent places unironically if you want to actually learn new techniques etc? any decent reddit groups, forums, literally anything?

Out of curiosity does anyone know how Billie Eilish did the bumpy voice where she goes baaaaaaad guy?

She stood in front of a fan and turned it off as she started saying the phrase so it would slow down during it.

Am I being trolled???

Yes.
I can't listen to it rn, but from what I remember it sounded like it was either a slowing down LFO on the vocals themselves, or on some white noise that the vocals were vocoded to, or something along those lines.

kinda, kinda not.. it pretty much creates the same effect but idk how it was done in the studio cause ive only listened to it once and im talking off of my memory

sounds like its being gated to something really quickly

i made a loop :) its terrible but its a start
youtube.com/watch?v=hnIB6M4DPIE

would sound better lo-fi

also why did you upload it to youtube, that's so much effort just use clyp or instaudio

so, do you have access to the grid thing with bitwig 3 demo? it seems most devices are unavailable.

Someone make a new thread when this one dies thanks

How crazy would it be to make a bunch of midi controllers for plugins I used often?
I'm going to blow my brains out if I use a keyboard and mouse anymore
I definitely have more fun fucking around with a cheap casio keyboard than something virutal - it's not tactile

Rate so far. I need help with drum samples if anyone has any. I'm looking for highly compressed deep sounding snares

instaud.io/3W4G

have you heard of author and punisher?

just get into step sequencers

Some Swedish company is kind of doing this. user posted an article about hardware for Reason RE's and the company doing them also was working on other VST's.

>it's not tactile
Spotted the boomer, I use a VR desktop for this.

Not quite certain what you're looking for, but guessing some sort of fat french house snare?

These comes in two's, once unprocessed and once heavily compressed.
instaud.io/3W5p

Thanks

I used to use an old Phat-Boy MIDI controller with Spectralhead Silverbox, painted silver and using a custom overlay with replacement grey knobs, keep meaning to update it for a more recent 64-bit 303 emulation like the Roland Cloud 303.

Attached: phat boy silverbox.jpg (1000x972, 435K)

Was in a synthwave/80's retro vibe. But is it just me or is it just boring and predictable?
instaud.io/3W5w

Sounds like the nfl theme

and now I cant unhear it

Attached: 1544521138116.gif (279x199, 305K)

arp at the end is way too loud and you could probably roll off the high end a touch. Main vocal melody is annoying

sounds preddy guid if cheezy (but that's the appeal of the genre) but the drums should be like twice as energetic

only if your in a powerviolence band