Why is liking ABBA ok now? For years talking about them in any context would be met with ridicule...

Why is liking ABBA ok now? For years talking about them in any context would be met with ridicule, but now they get brought up all the time on Yea Forums, their music has high ratings on RYM, and people in general seem to look back upon them more favorably. What changed?

Attached: ab.jpg (1200x1200, 265K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iUrzicaiRLU
youtube.com/watch?v=p4QqMKe3rwY
youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4FkddJNWY
youtube.com/watch?v=JWay7CDEyAI
youtube.com/watch?v=zo3pfnldlD0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I actually have never heard a single song by them in my life.

if you don't like abba, you have shit music taste
they hit pop perfection plenty of times
my favorite song is knowing me, knowing you
youtube.com/watch?v=iUrzicaiRLU

Seriously? Even Dancing Queen?
What country do you live in?
Yeah see, posting this 10 years ago would have just had insults flung at you, let alone saying something like that irl.

It's a jewish plot.

im bi so idc if anyone calls me gay

do you have any idea how huge of a band they are? dancing queen alone went to #1 in 13 countries when it was released, that mama mia movie grossed 650 million dollars, and hey pretty much stunned the world when they won eurovision with waterloo in the 70s.

they’re a very talented group of singers, songwriters and producers. i don’t trust anyone who doesn’t like at least 1 abba song, they’re just an incredibly likeable group. nothing really sounds like them; i’ve heard some detractors mention how their music is basically catchy schlager music, but i’ve yet to hear a single schlager tune that sounds even remotely similar to abba, so they’re almost certainly full of dog shit.

Attached: BBA0D593-BCB7-4F4E-8EAD-84BA4E2850A8.jpg (621x800, 72K)

Yeah dickhead, I'm aware that they're very popular. But back in the 00s and even the early 10s they were always the butt of the joke. You couldn't discuss them with other young people without being made fun of. Mama Mia made money off people over 30, mostly older women. They had hits in the 70s, but after the disco backlash they never seemed to recover their image beyond people who were alive when they had those hits. I'm asking why they have seemingly had a comeback with young music snob hipsters.

Everybody heard Money Money Money and Gimme Gimme Gimme even if you didn't know the song title

I don't know man, I'm pretty old and ABBA has always been consistently popular throughout my whole life.

10 years ago shit like Screamo and Pop punk and emo were borderline mainstream. Maybe you were in, or hung with people from those scenes. They'd be the types to shit on ABBA

Even after ABBA's popularity revival I don't like them they sounds too cheesy even compared to other pop rock contemporaries like Queen or ELO

Yes I know that ABBA is popular. But among music snobs/music nerds they have been consistently uncool. I was not in those scenes, I was in the p4k indie scene.

Ah well yeah, most music snobs shit on popular music by default.

My favorite is Chiquitita
youtube.com/watch?v=p4QqMKe3rwY

And, OP, no idea what you're on about. In my neck of the woods everyone loves ABBA.

I know that, but in much the same way that it was still okay to like Michael Jackson in that scene it is now okay to like ABBA.
For the millionth time I'm not saying they aren't popular. I'm saying that among young people who would call themselves "into music" they are more popular than they were with young people who would call themselves "into music" 10 years ago.

Back in the day tastemakers were writers in newspapers now it's more about the internet. Positions in the press are confered mostly through nepotism/connections though and so most music journalist's never had a clue about actual music, have never performed it and are restricted to inane criticisms directed at lyrics(though they are not really respected as writers either) and image.

>But back in the 00s and even the early 10s they were always the butt of the joke. You couldn't discuss them with other young people without being made fun of.
do you have any evidence to back this up? nobody who takes the historical progression of pop songwriting and production seriously thinks benny and bjorn aren’t incredibly talented songwriters and producers. this isn’t hard to figure out, man. it’s the fucking age of information.

that's your perception changing. nothing is real

>do you have any evidence to back this up?
I was there dude. I have always loved ABBA and I was made fun of for it in real life, on Yea Forums, and on other forums.
>nobody who takes the historical progression of pop songwriting and production seriously thinks benny and bjorn aren’t incredibly talented songwriters and producers
But they've certainly become more cool among dickhead hipsters recently than they used to be.

Oh! Oh! I got it I got it. 10 years ago, people's parents were probably still into ABBA alot. Nothing more uncool than the music your parents like. Think like now, guys in their 30s listen to shit like Nickel Back, no way their kids are gonna think that's cool when they start discovering music and developing taste.

poptism

i don’t know anyone who stopped listening to musical visionaries like michael jackson or phil spector just because of their criminal trials. you got some weird, ahistorical scenarios going on in your head, man, you probably can’t even remember 9/11 lmfao

>i don’t know anyone who stopped listening to musical visionaries like michael jackson or phil spector just because of their criminal trials.
What the fuck does that have to do with my post? I didn't say that happened.
>you probably can’t even remember 9/11 lmfao
I was asleep when it happened.

gay people ruin music

No one in ABBA was gay.

i remember them in the 70's I hated that cheesy shit then.

I’m talking about the gays’ obsession with ABBA, retard

Why does gay people liking music ruin music.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4FkddJNWY
John Lydon was a vocal Bee Gees and Abba fan in the 70's

and yet they kicked out glen matlock for liking the beatles

Not true.

Attached: inter.png (634x172, 41K)

hm

It’s not them liking it, it’s them glorifying something that’s mediocre at best

Mediocre according to you.

Mikael Åkerfeldt banged the blonde chick.

Attached: 12164656.jpg (400x400, 25K)

Brian Eno likes them so it's ok with me.

youtube.com/watch?v=JWay7CDEyAI this song is insanely good lets be real here fellas

Everyone used to hate the Beatles too. Some music just needs to age

>Everyone used to hate the Beatles too.
When?

Yeah but why are they coming back now? Lots of older pop music hasn't come back.

The nazi’s greatest crime was creating ABBA

how did those ugly mfers pull such fine bitches

They've been "cool" in the sense you're talking about since the early 90s at the very latest

grunge guys were big abba fans?

I've actually been looking for more european music that sounds like them and pooling through old schlager stuff or whatever the fuck else but still not coming up with much

I'm thinking more of bongland, that's where the whole poptimism thing kicked off with stuff like New Pop and post punk bands unironically being into Tavares. Also gay culture probably had something to do with the resurgence of interest as well

Attached: 8326327075_b1e1d74f5c_o.jpg (2558x3300, 3.18M)

They've always been good, people have just matured and stopped hating it based on the fact that it was cheesy and that their parents liked it

>critics didn't like ABBA to begin with and only came around with hindsight
You're fucking shitting me

I'm not talking about critics.

>Mediocre at best
NOBODY DOES IT BETTER

Attached: hqdefault (6).jpg (480x360, 15K)

youtube.com/watch?v=zo3pfnldlD0