Why were Rage agaisnt the Machine the only band ever to successfully fuse hip hop and rock

why were Rage agaisnt the Machine the only band ever to successfully fuse hip hop and rock

Attached: 1562474529789.jpg (1242x1092, 921K)

ratm was in no way hiphop

>have a rapper as the lead vocalist
>have a guitar player who's entire gimmick is mimicking turntable sounds on guitar

Okay

because their vocalist was gifted and their guitarist was insanely gifted

Nope, nine inch nails did that. Ha ha i will NEVER let you faggots forget All Down In It. NINE INCH NAILS DID RAP ROCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

but Korn is better

>because their vocalist was gifted
He wasn't at all though.

>shit ABC cat hat rat rapper
>can't sing or scream
He sucks, Morello is based though

AHEM

Attached: 6243597E-18F6-45BC-8275-65634B808FAD.jpg (1200x800, 183K)

Based

based

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE HE SAID SHE SAID BULLSHIT

Rage Against The Machine [Epic, 1993]
metal for rap lovers and opera haters ("Wake Up", "Know Your Enemy") **

Evil Empire [Epic, 1996]
Three years late, it's the militant rap-metal everyone knew was the next big thing. Zach de la Rocha will never be Lynton Kwesi Johnson, but collegiate leftism sure beats collegiate lots of other things, as well as high school misogyny, and it takes natural aesthetes like these to pound home such a sledgehammer analysis. A-

The Battle of Los Angeles [Epic, 1998]
if only it promised as much for the future of rock leftism as it did the future of rock guitar ("Guerilla Radio", "Calm Like a Bomb") *

Renegades [Epic, 2000] :(

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

Korn actually was better. As much as people want to hate on them for their edgelord ways, musically they were superior and I will provide reasons

A. They copied Morellos "imitate rap sounds with geetars" formula, and while not ever showing technical proficiency greater than Morello, rather than just do regular rock solos or regular rap sounds, they twisted West Coat G Funk squealy sounds into something far creepier and dissonant, much more creative
B. Jonathan Davis while no Geoff Tate, actually displayed a lot of versatility as vocalist...he could do aggro screams, grungy yelling, melodic clean singing, original style of eerie whispers and crazy sounding muttering, psychotic "death beatboxing" or whatever you want to call it, haunting high pitched falsettos, and later death growls very proficiently
C. They covered a range of emotions far greater than phony political shit

Uhh ever hear of insane clown posse

BASED AND FREDPILLED.

Not a single mention of the Be... The Beach Boys, yeah zoomers that's what I wanted to talk about. Boomer music. Run along kids nothing to see here.

Linkin Park did it better

Comments like these are precisely why I wouldn't want to get in a serious discussion in this thread. You're all fucking retarded.

"successfully" by what metric? In terms of album sales, ticket sales, favorable reviews from mags, notoriety, etc. there were tons of 90s alternative and 00s nu-metal bands that were successful.

People who romanticize RATM as anything other than some trendy band are delusional

based

also based

URBAN
DANCE
SQUAD

Why does everyone say that they hate rap rock, bash Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit, but bands like RATM and Gorillaz are not?

The entirety of Hip Hop is a rip off of Dig It.

ITS MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

An I the only person who actually enjoys their first album?

Considering how many copies it sold....no...

You literally added nothing with your comment. hurdur u r al retard i am smart. No. You can try that shit with your high school friends and pretend you're deep for hating something but that pleb babble doesn't work here.
user brought up a band that represents the apex of nu metal in many ways, the first album was light years ahead of anything else in both songwriting and sound design. There is a reason why teenagers from every subculture (yes they still existed before you were born) found something to connect with in hybrid theory. Stay on instagram where you belong.

Not him and I agree he's a faggot, but let's be realistic here...

Even within nu-metal circles Linkin Park was looked down on for being overly commercial and formulaic. If we compare nu-metal to hair metal, if Korn was the Motley Crue of nu-metal being the band who broke through first and was considered fairly edgy at first, Limp Bizkit may have been the Poison in being more pop oriented and cheesey, and Linkin Park was the Bon Jovi, the pure squeeky clean safe product designed specifically to sell millions to fangirls

>Biggest hit is their most repetitive song
>Caused white boys everywhere to know El Che's face but have no idea who he was
>Stormed the stock exchange with help from Michael Moore, ended up wasting time of those there
>Lost their music video award to Limp Bizkit
>As a response to this, bassist climbed on stage, made a fool of the entire band, one of the reasons why the band broke up
>Anti-authority, yet played at fucking Coachella
>Hate capitalism, still sell their albums
>Couldn't even pull off a "Steal This Album!"
Pure rubbish.
based and fredpilled
beat me to it

because they wanted to make shitty music more

I like RATM myself but I don't think of them as rap or hip hop in any way really. I don't think of bands like Korn in that way either. Just because you incorporate some elements doesn't mean you belong to that genre.

This reply to my post was really precious. It brought a smile to my face. Keep on being you user.

Linkin Park seemed to appeal to a different group of people than most other shit you could consider "nu metal." There was definite overlap but they had their own whiny edgelord fanbase and I thought they were all dorks. Coming from someone who at one point unironically liked Limp Bizkit that's really not a good thing at all. It was like bad livejournal poetry in musical form. As corny as Fred Durst was at least he didn't have that extreme sincerity, that burning desire to be taken seriously. The minute he did and put out that horrible cover of Behind Blue Eyes it was all over.

RATM owes much more to MC5 or something as distant as Gil Scott Heron even than they do to the contemporary rap artists of their time. Do you really think what they did compares to something like 2pac or Biggie? Most of Limp Bizkit's work doesn't really qualify as rap either. The song N 2 Getther Now obviously does. But it doesn't qualify as rock at all imo. It's got Method Man, an incredible beat from Primo, shame about Fred Durst doing actual rapping though, barf... The Beastie Boys are the only artist I would consider a true rap rock hybrid, at least among famous and successful bands, that have respect and credibility in both genres. People don't really talk about them anymore though and I'm kinda glad because I'm a huge fan and I was hesitant to throw them in the mix with names like these. I've even seen them blamed for nu metal at times which I think is going a bit too far. They may have paved the way but they didn't force anybody else to be corny, inept, and unable to mature as artists.

Fpbp