'I tried to fight it': Sum 41's Deryck Whibley on giving in to Trumpian lyrics

ctvnews.ca/entertainment/i-tried-to-fight-it-sum-41-s-deryck-whibley-on-giving-in-to-trumpian-lyrics-1.4500686
>Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley watched from his hotel rooms as the world descended into havoc over the course of the rock band's last tour.

>The Canadian singer-songwriter can place the exact moments when he sensed the political divide growing wider. The first time, his rock band was in England on a European promotional tour as the Brexit vote dropped and "mayhem" ensued.

>Months later, he saw Donald Trump's rise to power in the U.S. election, which polarized the nation across party lines, and witnessed the heated 2017 presidential election in France that led to violent clashes in the streets.

>"It seemed to get worse and worse wherever we went," the performer said in a phone interview from Los Angeles ahead of Sum 41's new album release.

>"I would wake every day and start my morning routine. You'd have the news on, and you're just kind of watching the chaos of the day -- from Donald Trump to whatever else is going on."

>Whibley would occasionally dip into writing new songs to distract himself, but as the turmoil picked up in the outside world, he said he found it harder to escape. Trump had winnowed into the recesses of his mind, and he was seeping into the lyrics.

>"My first thought is I'm not going to let this (expletive) take over my music too," he said.

>"I tried to stop it and tried to fight it... I tried to change the words, and it just felt really disconnected. After about a week, I said, 'Well, (expletive) it. It is what it is, I'm just going to write words and we'll figure it out."'

>Hearing Whibley talk about politics can be jarring at times.

>While Sum 41 built its reputation throwing stones at authority, their rowdy pop-punk anthems mostly ignored specific targets in favour of pushing back on The Man and nameless conformity, like on the title track of their 2007 album "Underclass Hero."

Attached: sum 41.jpg (620x349, 87K)

Isn't he like 5'1? lmao

Attached: 1419841452178.jpg (2500x1735, 487K)

Wow so brave

Fun Fact: Sum 41 got its name from how many inches tall Whibley is.

I'm not gonna read it but Trump 2020

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 11.09.10 PM.png (1974x1032, 2.17M)

Based

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 23.04.29.png (1292x466, 145K)

Another case of an irrelevant artist trying to use Trump to get back in the spotlight.

who?

cringe. cheetoman is such low hanging fruit at this point. tired of hearing about him.

Whoa you guys must be so cool looking down upon the masses from 5 feet 9.75 inches you are truly gods among men how great it must feel to be in the echelons of the amazons you guys are truly exceptionally tall and amazing people and also great posters i am SO FUCKING jealous of how amazing and wonderful you big tall boys are wow like how does this happen how do tall and handsome boys also wind up being really unique and funny and humorous? Like, I get you were trying to "bantz" as it were, but do you even understand how epically HILARIOUS you just were? You don't, you weren't even trying but these uproarious remarks still spill forth from you. Incredible. Amazing. Truly fantastic tall boys you are. I am so jealous as a mere manlet I can only look up and think of you like my stepdads. My actual stepdad was a fucking call-center supervisor retard who probably never fucked my mom. You guys would be way better stepdads than him because you're just so fucking TALL AND FUNNY. WOW. Great posts, team! Greant banter tonight on Yea Forums from the centers and power forwards of the 4channel.org community. Hahahaha I bet you thought I was serious. Guess what It's called lying I was lying you are all faggots I don't care how tall you are I bet you can't even find shirts with appropriate length sleeves hahahahha You got fucking owned lankshits. Kill yourselves. I hope you do. I hope you fucking die. Anyways goodnight I'm gonna go listen to xxxtentacion.

Attached: 1537740571372.png (448x460, 119K)

t. manlet

I’m 6’1. Have some respect.

samefag

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 9.19.35 PM.png (650x124, 18K)

same here brother

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 23.04.29.png (1292x466, 42K)

kek

Nice. Literally the perfect height in 2019. We’re blessed

I'm 6'1 you fucking manlet.

>I'm 6'1 you fucking manlet.
Do you really need to swear?

What does the Paki of the group think?

I'm still 6'1 you hecking manlet.

Based

confirmed chads

Attached: F5A6904A-95C9-4517-BEC9-D5585859F149.jpg (609x213, 24K)

you ever been consider the possibility that people could just be this stupid?