Is going to school for music, whether theory or production, a scam these days?

Is going to school for music, whether theory or production, a scam these days?

Attached: 56C83C66-23DA-4DC1-B752-DEB12836F7BE.jpg (1672x2500, 844K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/l57eg7y3rtk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Going to school for any form of art is a scam

To put it briefly, YES. Get a private teacher if you need one

Going to school for any form is a scam

this. save your time and money
learn a trade, make bank and

Computer science, Math and engineering are the only courses worth taking at college, and naybe economics I'm not sure

I was going to go into a music production and technology diploma program, but it’s full for this yea. Did I just dodge a 10 grand plus scam bullet?

At my school, econ is for people who (1) are double majoring in something else (e.g. political science, history, a STEM field, etc.) or (2) didn't get into the business school

>Computer science, Math and engineering are the only courses worth taking at college
no courses are worth taking at college

The purpose of school is to establish credibility and connections. If you decide you don't need these things in your career go ahead. Sure, auditions play a huge part in employment, but a degree gives an objective comparative advantage.

Private "teachers" are a scam as well. "Those who can't do, teach" so why would you want to "learn" from someone who can't do? Some people may think this means you should "teach" yourself but of course that would curse YOU with the inability to "do". You must commit yourself to learn BY doing if you ever want to get anywhere.

Bump for input

Depends do you want a job somewhere or are you trying to do something for yourself?

It's only a scam if you don't take advantage of it. Having a degree is an objective advantage over not having one, and you'll probably learn something along the way.

/thread

>Computer science
not worth it at all. You can self teach yourself any computer science you need to know. The only reason you would go to college is if you want to learn math, engineering, science, or medicine, and need the credentials to become a practicing professional. Any profession where you aren't required by the government to have credentials in order to get a job is a waste of time. You aren't going to kill anyone or waste billions of dollars if you can't program on the level of an NSA programmer, so you don't need the credentials of one, nor do you need to go to college for computer science.

Jesus what a fucking retard

Only if you have to pay for it.

t. B. Mus. scholarship grad

Job

all schools are scam
you can learn anything by your own faster and better
and if not then i have bad news for you
schools can't make you not stupid

if you're american and not a poorfag getting grant scholarships, school is a waste of money. if you're taking loans and debt to get a degree, you're fucking up. some mexican or redneck doing a construction trade is in better shape financially than a lot of college graduates 5-6 figures in debt for a history degree.

I have NO idea why you would ever go to school for something relating to music or art unless you're learning mixing/mastering/sound engineering type shit. You should not have to learn how to be a better musician through thousands and thousands of dollars.

bump

teen smoker more like cock sucker
heh

Half-assing most degrees is a scam these days. Be number one in your class and you'll do alright. It's up to you.

>music
>something taught
plebasuarus rex

>he thinks Computer Science = Code Monkeying

lmao

I found engineering extremely useful. I wouldn’t do anything else unless I was trying to pursue being a critic over being an artist.

based retard

how did it help

bump

this guy knows

Yes bro. You can learn so much these days on youtube alone. On top of that a degree in music don’t mean shit as far as getting a job

t. was taught by a worthless private teacher and thinks he's good

>On top of that a degree in music don’t mean shit as far as getting a job
Not true.

not true, by the way. lots of pros who play an instrument for a living also provide lessons as an extra income source

Unless you’re going for STEM or a trade you are a certified retard who’s begging for debt.

Paid around 500€ for a teacher just to get me through the basics of music theory.

I never had that as a subject in school and could play guitar ok enough but simply didn't know any theory.
It was a good help for getting started and having a motivation of practicing cause im wasting my money else by repeating the same stuff i did last week.

After all i gotta say it helped me personally but to be completely honest if id just gotten off my ass, smoked a little bit less weed and actually took the time to search for some decent youtube videos with like 30 min pratice everyday i could have saved that money.

i don't know about schools or studying an instrument/music but with nowadays social media/instagram/youtube kinda stuff you can easily learn most things on your own as you have to do that anyways

>Those who can't do, teach

hmm.... so I guess that's why Bill Harkelroad (one of the guitarists of Captain Beefheart's Magic Band during the Trout Mask Replica sessions) is literally offering online guitar lessons to others as we speak.

also Pyrrhon's guitarist, who Scaruffi described as a "new master of atonality" on a review of one of their albums, has also been handing out online lessons for quite a while now.

youtu.be/l57eg7y3rtk

Attached: 1562741079177.jpg (306x306, 20K)

I went to a school with one of the most famous audio production programs in the world. Graduates from this program have gone on to win Grammys and shit. I still don't know a single person that got a job. One guy I know still works at Walmart over three years later. Schools that are reputable provide internships and networking opportunities which are the only things that matter, but you don't really need school for these things. It's not worth going into debt for. Move to a city that has the jobs you want, try to get internships and meet people. Only go to school if you aren't going to be in a shitload of debt afterwards.

It's good for one thing imo Contacts

You need to define a lot of priorities before you even tackle it. Is this something you're doing because you genuinely love learning about something and being immersed in that world? Is this something you're choosing as your main career path for whatever reason? So on and so forth. Going to college is an investment and you need to think about returns, including non-monetary returns and your next best opportunity.

And even then, there's so many other factors that it's hard to know where to even begin. As with many things, the best answer is a non-answer: it's only a scam if that's what you make of it.

or you live in a developed country and you're just getting a free education that has nothing to do with employment

>people are allowed to waste taxpayer money on useless degrees the subject of which they should just read a book about
>this is somehow a good thing

The main thing regarding college is a lot less to do with the books and more regarding faculty, resources and possible interactions. It also depends on how much you value knowledge.

>is going to school a scam?
In America? Yes
Everywhere else? Probably not

that's right USA, education is bad!
you could spend that money on missiles to blow up brown people!
don't fund education, fund veterans!

No such thing as "free" anything.

Depends what you mean by scam.
Certainly, it's not a good decision from a financial standpoint, if that's what you're asking.

>he didn't go to school for business
>he actually had to go to and pay attention to his classes
>he didn't get a nearly 6 figure income with full benefits right out of college
>he actually has to do work at his job instead of browsing Yea Forums
lmaoing at STEM autists who can't hold a normal conversation with people so they don't get to live this life

Med is worth going to uni for, although the life of a doctor is pretty tragic

if you don't pay then it's free dumbass