ITT: most overrated albums of the millennium

ITT: most overrated albums of the millennium.

I’ll start with this horseshit. Mediocre three chord acoustic pop layered with quirky synths and intentionally shitty drum samples so people don’t fully grasp the mediocrity of what they’re listening to. A shitty of Montreal rip-off that never should have outsold Hissing Fauna.

Also imagine unironically liking this album but still shitting on Billie Eilish.

Attached: 7B160BA8-D7C6-4814-9C59-94A50DA17E6E.jpg (1448x1448, 222K)

what the fuck did this album do to you, you boring tasteless cunt of a fag?

it sucked dick and wasted like an hour of my life

>tasteless cunt
>mfw Flaming Lips fans literally think that band is comparable to Thomas Edison

Attached: EE4FD0E0-A10B-43C2-9E32-7756AFC4451E.jpg (749x1128, 153K)

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots part 2 is the only good track on here.

nah that album is fun

Flaming lips are The Godfather of the neo pysch sound u tard

>so people don't fully grasp the mediocrity
Yeah bands really write songs to mask the quality of it, you're dumb as fuck

>mediocre three chord acoustic pop
This maybe describes Fight Test Yoshimi ,Part 1, and Do You Realize?? I can't think of any other songs that fit this description but they're all songs are totally fine and are in no way offensively bad.

Do you just not like pop or something OP? I notice that you don't mention One More Robot, In The Morning of the Magicians, Ego Tripping, Are You Some Kind of Hypnotist??, All We Have Is Now, what are those songs too creative and well written to say anything negative about?

What are some albums that you DO like OP? I'd like to know.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 12.23.15 PM.png (810x525, 373K)

Not OP but all the songs basically sounded the same except for Yoshimi part 2. Are You Some Kind of Hypnotist was pretty good too but other than that none of them really stood out to me.

You're out of your mind if you think the songs sound exactly the same get the fuck out of here. You might not like the album but you're just being incorrect if you think all the songs share some kind of samey format because they don't. Yoshimi isn't even my favorite Flaming Lips album but you're just totally off.

doooo yoooou realiseeeeeeee ???

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is a 9/10 IMO. Its songs are so catchy and memorable, lyrics fun and with a childlike carefree optimism, and with this overarching theme that transports me to a 1980s Ghibli film.
In fact, I'd say the more overrated acts are the ones who copied the Flaming Lips' style. Tame Impala, Pond, Mac DeMarco, Beach House, etc.

Attached: A1Hxn7+in3L._SL1500_.jpg (1477x1500, 579K)

Embryonic is better

AM - Arctic Monkeys

You are so incorrect. See below:

I like pop which is why I think this album is trash. Pic related came out in 1999 and is objectively better on every single axis.

The songs I described/you mentioned are the only memorable songs on the album, and the band was proud enough of them to release them as singles accompanied by elaborate music videos. They are half-assed nonsense and it sounds like something that would be performed at an open mic by somebody who fried his brain with acid in the 60’s, the difference being that the Flaming Lips had a massive budget to “””experiment””” with.

Attached: FD0A7F63-7F0B-4156-A288-C31E4A585939.jpg (220x220, 19K)

all the flaming lips other big critical hits are better if you’re underwhelmed by yoshimi and haven’t listened to soft bulletin you should definitely check it out

agreed this album is garbage

I agree Soft Bulletin is better, I’m just saying Yoshimi sucks and didn’t deserve the praise it was lavished with

They don't "share some kind of samey format" but they all have basically the same sound to them.

yeah weak songwriting masked by stupid synth noises lmao

I haven't listened to this so I don't know if it's true or not. But usually when someone is this mad about something, it usually comes down to trying to project some other point or perhaps getting btfo'd somewhere and now this is like, the getting back post. Like you act like there has to be some conspiracy around someone turning on an album and just being like "i like this", like there always has to be some way they were tricked and that makes them an idiot who you're now mad at?

the only real similarity between of montreal and flaming lips is they both sometimes make psychedelic music and they both sometimes make music that isn't psychedelic. they both have some variation like that and they both have about the same amount of variation, and explore other sounds and genres about equally to each other. but how they actually SOUND is a completely different thing. of montreal is raw and rattly and loose, and sometimes a little bit too cute. the flaming lips make soundtrack music to a comic book they made up in their heads but it's a surprisingly mature comic book. Their music sounds like soundtrack work and also they totally embrace pop style audio engineering like being way way way too loud all the time for example (using a lot of compression)

Yeah exactly. At their core, early oM and this album are both acoustic guitar-driven music with psychadelic instrumentation layered on top. oM sounds more jangly because Barnes is a good guitar player and writes unhinged chord progressions whereas FL plays I-iii-IV and then uses studio wizardry to fill in the gaps. Which is fine, but it isn’t deserving of the praise it received because people have been doing that since the 60’s.

The things aspergers makes you say.

i love both albums but Lonerism is better