Was Oasis actually a big deal in the 90s?

Was Oasis actually a big deal in the 90s?

Attached: 7c6a416c75f74d32cded1c1dc37d864a.jpg (770x768, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-xOkHtHRg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You heard them on the radio occasionally but they weren't any bigger than Alanis Morrisette

Nah

I like Champange Supernova and Keep Crying Your Heart Out but everything else by them is shit

Unfortunately

just their eye brows

same as REM

By one point they were played 2 or three times and half hour all day in the UK by law (radio is a tax in Britain) . It's not until Travis - Driftwood that it started slowing down. Even then that was twice and hour.

I remember them being very big in the second half of the 90s. very accessible music for children.

In the UK they were the biggest band in the country, and they dominated the music media for a few years.

In the US they were literally a one hit wonder, and people felt vaguely warm about the song Wonderwall, but they didn't really know much about the band behind it.

Nobody here in America ever heard of them

No. Mildly hyped for most of 1996 but not big at all. Oasis is easily the most overrated band of my generation. Pure corporate rock forced meme shit.

They only actually only had 2 hits (1 big and 1 medium) and 2 quasi-hits in America. Wonderwall was a deservedly GREAT song and got famous of its own accord. Champagne Supernova was pretty good too, if a bit long.

But this song only ever got played because of payola, the label shilled it into trying to be a big hit and it totally failed.

Same thing with that really shitty "Don't Look Back in Anger" song they tried to do off the Wonderwall album. Absolute trash song that listeners on the radio hated and stood no chance of being a legitimate hit but was shilled enough that some people still remembered it, so I would call it a wuasi-hit. Same thing with "Live Forever" which came before the Wonderwall album. That was just a very generic, very boring song that the label paid the radio to play a lot so people would think it was popular. And as a result some people liked it, but many did not, or if they did, it was a very casual liking at best, not an intense fervor like Wonderwall inspired, another quasi-hit. Let's just say nobody's going to be covering Live Forever or Don't Look Back in Anger on acoustic guitar in 2019 - they just aren't good enough songs. So yeah they're real contribution was Wonderwall mainly desu. And that's just a meme.

Born in '97 and never heard of them until I came here. Even Wonder Wall I knew as a meme but have never actually heard. It doesn't seem to have been a very big hit.

Until Coldplay, really.

The The Verve splitting up though, what was that all about.

Why did they split?

>liking wonderwall but not champagne supernova or don’t look back in anger
absolutely terrible take and I’m not even an oasis fan

Oasis has great B-sides. Why are they B Sides in the first place
youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-xOkHtHRg

No. They got no MTV or radio play outside Wonderwall, nobody bought their qlbums, no press covered them, no critics liked or cared about them, and the biggest show they ever played here was 900 people.

Seriously what's the origin of the "Oasis were irrelevant in America"?

they were the biggest band in the world for 2 years, like from 1995 to 1997, in a way they were the worst biggest band in the world ever, a fad outside the UK

in 1992 Metallica, U2, Nirvana and Guns and Roses could all have been considered the biggest band in the world, at the same time

Gavin Rossdale

In Europe, yes.

In the US they were "the guys who sang Wonderwall".

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? went sextuple platinum, what the fuck are you people smoking

Whats the Story Morning Glory sold about as welll as Siamese Dream or Superunknown in the USA while being a much much bigger international hit

Wonderwall and Dont Look Back in Anger were all big hits in the USA.
Only Alanis Morisette sold more than Oasis in the mid 90s, the period between the death of Kurt Cobain and the rise of Boy Bands/Britney/Christina in 1998

I'm a bong and have never heard Bush

That era was my sweet spot, despite being filled with buttrock.

that era was great, I think 1994 was the best year in music ever

And we would get stuff like Homogenic, OK Computer and Fiona Apple's Tidal in 1997
The next year everything went to shit

don't look back was not a big hit. a small one maybe. champagme supernova was the really overplayed song after wonderwall.

not all at once, idiot.

Doesn't mean they weren't the most talked about Britpop act of the 90s, and made far better music than anything in the grunge scene

britbong detected

>songs about being positive and not being a sad cunt are generic

Attached: barg.jpg (675x864, 74K)

it sold the vast majority of its copies in 96 and 97

Morning Glory was the 13th highest selling album of 1996 though

It's 15 times platinum in England actually like 3rd or 4th best selling album of all time

They weren't even bigger than le Woo Hoo band

Massive in the UK. It was great fun, the last real burst of mass culture where music mattered to people and a whole fashion and lifestyle thing, TV programmes etc. Beatles Anthology was out, Austin Powers, Trainspotting, a weird kind of national cohesion not felt before or since.

Americans during this period looked completely ridiculous and listened utter crap. I'm not surprised you're salty about it, no cool ladette girlfriends for you either.

Attached: bluroasis.jpg (460x656, 75K)

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT ANYBODY FEELS FEELS FEELS

they were huge in america for a brief window, they were in the tabloids and had multiple radio hits, their album sold millions

if your casual parents know who they are by name, i consider them mainstream. my parents know who are oasis are, they are american, they were in their 20s during the 90s.

Oasis were a joke. Shit band. Popular from 1995-1998 and then a footnote.

I dont know man, I grew up in the 2000s.
Blur are better

Not at all

This
Wrong

they ruled the mid 90s`

Blur is for the sort of boomer yanks who get obsessed with XTC

no

not really

Attached: file.png (636x220, 51K)

I didn't even hear Wonderwall until a couple years ago so I would say no

based scaruffi speaking the hard truths

who?

the facebook creator

big in the UK

FE-FE-FE-FEELS

MAYBE

MAYBAYYYYYYYY

Who the fuck cares about America, while Oasis were ruling the charts in Europe they played shitty post grunge like Bush, Live and Collective Soul

We're the only country that matters chump

For a very brief moment they were arguably the biggest band out there

they hated constantly getting confused with the verve pipe

Alanis Morrisette was huge though dude. Jagged Little Pill had like 6 massive hits off of it and was one of the few biggest selling albums of the whole decade

No

>Pure corporate rock forced meme shit.

Imagine being this wrong yet writing so confidently

saving this to BTFO oasis fans in future threads

they didnt break America because they went insane and broke up after 2 stops on their debut tour. they're obviously gospel in Britain.

>T in the Park festival report
>blur v oasis
>suggs
>the fall
>isaac hayes

10/10 would read

beatles/nirvana tier in the uk

>ywn go to a record store with your lads
>ywn use your sub par guitar skills and play in a shitty rock band
>ywn go out to smokey clubs and meet a cute girl wearing a blur t-shirt
>ywn go to a rock festival and see oasis play

As big as the Beatles in the UK.
Not as big as the Beatles in the US.

have you seen NME these days ...... utter shite. Teenagers talking about their favourite Led Zeppelin and Kanye songs

Attached: ahwhateverdoc.jpg (998x974, 108K)

Oasis were never as big as The Beatles in the UK
t.oldest guy on Yea Forums

Dude yes lol

America here. Oasis was literally dominant. Maybe one of the last great radio bands of the era. I could only imagine what Britain was like.

proto-chav music.
my guitar teacher in the late 90's hated them more than any other band ever.