What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: maxresdefault-1-750x480.jpg (750x480, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

setlist.fm/festival/1999/milwaukee-metalfest-xiii-6bd6ae7e.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gavcjNniIvk
youtube.com/watch?v=FMbl1ntpIXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=b8a1WEjLqUw
youtube.com/watch?v=PhNBMXOybhY
youtube.com/watch?v=5PK133q19lg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Besides 'My World', nothing.

Lots of good stuff on those

Not making it just one album.

But Axl said they had to make it a double album because every member was demanding they have "their songs" and the band would have broke up before this if otherwise

When they tried to be the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Elton John, and Queen all on one album.

Look at your young men fighting...

Estranged is their best song though

That's literally what makes it great.

Whonimalikorp

So we got lots of fluff that never needed to see the light of day. They didn't release anything new for a long time before this. Usually when writing a bunch of new stuff you separate the good from the bad and only publish the best. The chose to publish it all. Most of their best songs and ALL of their worst ones ended up on these albums. Get in the Ring is pretty much a crime against music. Don't Cry is so bad they did it twice??

yes

Well it's 2019 and we no longer are forced to skip around physical media. Just make a playlist of the stuff you like, no harm done

Guns N roses without Izzy is not a proper reunion

Whos with me

Don't Cry is great you dumb contrarian

but user,
what if my only interest isnt just to maximize my immediate pleasure, but rather i also want to experience and understand the artist's work as was arranged and presented by them?

I love Don't Cry, it's my favorite Gn'R ballad.

Yeah. Well I bought both cassettes on release day and burned through a lot of walkman batteries in the following months because of it. (Not sure if everyone knows this was not a double album but two separate ones released on the same day).

Two versions? why?

It hasn't aged well and sounds very much like the early 90s.

Use Your Illusion I [DGC, 1991]
what pros ("Garden of Eden", "Don't Damn Me) *

Use Your Illusion II [DGC, 1991]
*choice cuts* "Civil War"

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

Just like you.

What a cringeworthy human being

Attached: oy vey.png (294x328, 198K)

Appetite was a bunch of lean, mean rockers. This was the work of a bunch of lazy, fat rock tycoons with no real hunger.

>As for metal, well, that's generational and there'll be more of it. I suppose us graybeards should try and educate ourselves, but it's like Balkan girl groups--I'd be a fool to try and like everything. To that end, I found myself preferring the knee-jerk sexism of GNR I over the asshole existentialism of GNR II. I put James Hetfield out of his misery inside of five plays--life is short and I found it getting shorter with every song.

Couldn't be more wrong. If anything, you blame it on Axl's desire to be bigger than appetite and wanting to do some grandiose project. Laziness or lack of hunger was never an issue, it was their second fucking LP you retard....they were the next big thing, not "tycoons"

>highlights the only good song on UYI II as Civil War because it had vaguely political content he likes

>Not sure if everyone knows this was not a double album but two separate ones released on the same day
It was also expensive to buy both of them especially in the early 90s when the country was in a recession.

It's semantics, but lots of "double albums" are sold separately

Whenever GnR is discussed, people have to resort to talking about either the attitude or the image or the amount of curse words used, to the point of overlooking the actual music. Appetite for Destruction was basic hard rock written and played better than anyone before or since and they wanted to expand. If they stayed on that treadmill, imagine how boring it would have become.

They waited too long between albums, the followup to Appetite should have come out in 89, not 91. The rock world had changed pretty fast since Appetite came out.

and it was a good move because some people just bought the one and then went back bought the other at a later date. If they were sold together they would have sold less in the end.

Not at the time.

>implying it wasn't a huge success
Dude, they had a giant tour for it, are you under the impression that Gn'R was stiffing in 1991? You're fucking clueless.

Some people (hardcore GnR fans) hate it because it was too extravagant the same way hardcore Metallica fans hate The Black Album for being too simple, non GnR fans couldn't give a fuck less, but over Gn'R was fucking gigantic when the albums came out, it wasn't a lack of success that ended them around that time, it was the band hating each other and fucking off to do other shit

Also he jumped on the "Let's hate and take out of context One in a Million" bandwagon. Yeah fuck this guy.

The lag between Appetite being released and actually catching on was one of the longest ever. The album was already something like a year old before it got any mainstream attention.

Guns and Metallica both toured for almost three years and then finally came back home in 93 to find that grunge had taken over the airwaves and they looked like dinosaurs.

The 70s was the time of rock bands releasing big bloated double albums for its own sake despite lacking enough quality material to fill four sides of vinyl.
The 90s was the time of rock bands releasing big bloated twin albums for its own sake despite lacking enough quality material to fill two separate full-length CDs.

>The 90s was the time of rock bands releasing big bloated twin albums for its own sake despite lacking enough quality material to fill two separate full-length CDs.
Also during this time they got the idea that bands had to tour for like three straight years and take as long to release all the singles from the album.

I think in Guns' case it had a lot to do with Axl's brand of misogynistic cockrock being outdated. During the early 90s there was an increasing backlash against rock that objectified women and a rise in feminist-themed rock movements like riot grrl.

>and take as long to release all the singles from the album.

Well this was effective back in those days

Opposite of now a days where 2-3 singles come out before the album is even out, album drops then is basically forgotten about

You guys are idiot history revisionists.

Metallica remained fucking huge, and far bigger than any grunge band even when they put out music people hated like Load/Reload and St. Anger. And guess what? Had Gn'R stayed together, they would have been even bigger than Metallica, as they fucking were already.

By the late 90's grunge was dead anyway and metal had taken over again with the youth

Oh boy not this again. Nobody listened to riot grrl but critics and bitter lesbians.

>Maureen Callaghan: Looking back 20 years later, it’s incredibly sad because Generation X had begun the decade with Nirvana. You had Kurt Cobain in a dress, challenging all kinds of gender norms and sexual orientations; you had Riot grrrl and this ostensible parity between boys and girls. There was something about the time that felt more modern and equitable. Our generation was really the first where a lot of men had been raised by single moms. A lot of them were espousing feminist ideals. By the middle of the decade, you had a band like the Beastie Boys making public apologies for their former acts of misogyny and sexism. Enlightened rock-n-roll. And then Woodstock ’99 happened, and it felt like the mask got ripped off.

>By the late 90's grunge was dead anyway and hip hop and shitty nu-metal had taken over with the youth

Fixed.

Riot Grrl was never a style of music anyway, it was more of a movement.

>late 90s
>hip-hop had taken over
>implications of NWA, Beastie Boys, House of Pain, etc, etc

Pantera wasn't nu-metal, they were considered kings of the current scene though replacing Metallica in the late 90s, and fuck genre semantics, nu metal to most people was just "the new metal music" and without it bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest wouldn't have come back with such a vengeance in the 00s. Ozzfest was the biggest thing for hard rock at the time, and it got that way because it was largely riding on nu-metals success with the teen crowd.

>some random SJW says some random bullshit

Pantera was the start of nu-metal. Nothing else you said disproved my point. Get back on topic.

Don't feed the trolls you newfags.

Manson was huge in the mid-90s and he had songs like Cake & Sodomy that would have fit well on any 80s hair metal album so it's not as if the market for that music magically vanished in 1991 no matter how many riot grrl albums Cuckgau shilled.

Axl was becoming crazy but his songwriting was still on point. Also Izzy noshowed most of the sessions so his guitars aren't there

Attached: 1561925236206.jpg (323x323, 13K)

Matt Sorum just wasn't Steve Adler either. His slow, huge BOOM BOOM BOOM drums robbed them of that jazzy swing you had on Appetite.

These threads always turn out the same. The people who rant and foam the hardest about the 90s whatever their point of view were clearly not even born yet.

Yeah the album had a flat, one-dimensional beat. Boring af.

Pantera ruined metal. Korn ripped them off and 1000 more bands ripped off Korn. Pantera were the beginning of the decline of metal and were despised by a lot of fans in their day.

>that jazzy swing
You mean poor timing?

To be honest, Phil Anselmo was not a metal guy and he didn't really like metal at all (metal meaning the Dio/Maiden kind of stuff). He was a punk at heart and his heroes were Black Flag and the hardcore scene.

Fred Durst wasn't either if you look at his influences.

This much is true, Adler had a great drum sound and I typically don't give a flying fuck about drums, so I know it's something special when I can even tell the difference. Still doesn't ruin the Use Your Illusions for me though.

>Pantera ruined metal.
In some ways I agree, I see them more as being the reason metalcore got big more than nu-metal though
>Pantera were the beginning of the decline of metal and were despised by a lot of fans in their day.
No they weren't, Pantera were considered metal heroes because they kept being metal when Metallica stopped and all the other thrash bands became irrelevant or changed styles too.

Know who hated Pantera back then? The faggot death and black metal listeners, who hate anything outside of their little niche.

I believe Phil WAS a metal guy who has changed from that because deep down he's kind of a hipster trendy.

They are like Clark and Superman; ever seen them both in the same place? Wonder why?

So in other words nothing went wrong and the rock scene simply changed with the turn of the decade?

>No they weren't

They were though. They were looked upon as the equivalent to what NoFX and the Offspring were to punk at the time, music for kids and retards. You got it backwards anyway, black metal really caught on BECAUSE the current popular stuff was so dire.

No they weren't.Nu-Metal and Marilyn Manson was viewed that way, Pantera was not. And black metal didn't "catch on", wtf are you talking about? There was never some massive wave of black metal being popular in the 90's, it's more popular now than it was then because of the internet.

People in North America who were already fed up with Pantera Megadeth etc started listening to black metal in the late 90s after most of the classic albums were a few years old and several of the major players were already dead or in jail. Pantera and that stuff was popular sure but big deal. So was the Warped Tour and Hot Topic at the time. There was other stuff going on at the time.

Black metal is like shoegaze--it was a niche scene back in the day and sort of a joke, but it's been rehabilitated by hipsters since then.

And now because of hipsters anyone who claims they really listened to it back then is automatically accused of LARPing. No point in arguing about it I suppose. See:

I just wish they had more than 2 real albums.
Appetite For Destruction and Use Your Illusion.
Spaghetti Incident is just covers, so it doesn't count.
Lies is half of a live show, and only two of the new songs are worth anything (Patience and Used To Love Her).
Chinese Democracy is just an Axl Rose album, but it's still good, just not GNR.
I really hope whatever Axl, Slash and Duff are making right now ends up being worthy of getting to be the true third GNR album.

not Izzy, clearly, since he refused the invite

How often did they whip out Steven Adler during the tour? I'm seeing them in October, and I'm really hoping he ends up making an appearance.

^This. Shoegaze was a short-lived fad at the end of the 80s-start of the 90s for cunty art students and it was a punchline, soon superseded in the mainstream by EDM and Britpop and totally forgotten until American hipsters rediscovered it in the late 2000s.

>Spaghetti Incident is just covers, so it doesn't count.
They were never performed live anyway.

Shoegaze was a hipster scene to begin with so that's perfectly fine. Any hipsters pretending to be into metal is a far bigger joke.

>People in North America who were already fed up with Pantera Megadeth etc started listening to black metal in the late 90s
That's my era and I can tell you they weren't, black metal was pretty niche in the late 90s, the most visible band was Cradle Of Filth and the people who listened to them didn't even know what "black metal" was....black metal was niche, I knew what it was and listened to some of it but most people into metal didn't. Yes, SOME people listened to black metal, but a small group in the grand scheme of things which is the point here...you didn't see 7 out of 10 metal fans walking around with black metal shirts or something like that. If you must argue something, it'd be death metal, not black. American Edgelords loved Cannibal Corpse and Suffo in the late 90s and a good chunk of them were also Pantera fans and Six Feet Under fans anyway. Black metal was mostly basement dweller territory.

Why do you know so much about hipsters and what they like? Why even know the history of shoegaze if you hate hipsters?

I can tell you YOU weren't. Others were. So it wasn't huge yet but it was known about:

setlist.fm/festival/1999/milwaukee-metalfest-xiii-6bd6ae7e.html

Just a few names maybe out of dozens but consider that this was the biggest fest on the continent its not nothing. Geez... Pantera fans are so easily triggered.

Get a room.

> That's my era
your parents must be proud

Not triggered, you just keep missing the point. Black metal had it's fans, but it was still niche meaning not many people listened to it. Literally the only point I was making considering you tried to make it seem like the late 90s were full of people throwing away Pantera shirts and switching them for Mayhem or something.

Guns N' Roses was the best band of the 80s/90s

if you're a low iq wife beating trailer park resident maybe

*does everything GnR did but better*

Attached: Generation_Terrorists.jpg (300x300, 63K)

T. low IQ tranny. Notice how the low IQ tranny cannot spell nor punctuate, truly a low IQ retarded creature, worthy of physical beatings.

Some faggoty soft pop rock is comparable to Gn'R?
youtube.com/watch?v=gavcjNniIvk
This is supposed to be similar to this
youtube.com/watch?v=FMbl1ntpIXQ

??? Post me a song of theirs that is similar to Gn'R, because this is not comparable.

I love AFD. It reminds me of my dad's garage.

Motorcycle Emptiness is a masterpiece you possum.
youtube.com/watch?v=b8a1WEjLqUw
youtube.com/watch?v=PhNBMXOybhY
youtube.com/watch?v=5PK133q19lg

>listening to first song
Sounds like fucking Enuff Z' nuff dude...what does this have to do with Gn'R

Attached: enuffz.jpg (269x400, 36K)