Were soul/funk/disco fans the hip-hop fans of the 60s and 70s?

Were soul/funk/disco fans the hip-hop fans of the 60s and 70s?
Were they viewed the same way obnoxious hip-hop fans are viewed today?

Attached: 1534957415832.jpg (1120x746, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/New-THE-BEATLES-Abbey-Road-Remastered-CD-w-Rare-Photos-Liner-Notes/332905473082?epid=72619551&hash=item4d82b6643a:g:-CwAAOSw-4Jb~DHp
ebay.com/itm/Abbey-Road-LP-by-The-Beatles-1969-Vinyl/383037598323?epid=1100692743&hash=item592ed1ea73:g:j0QAAOSwh2xX~7p7
youtube.com/watch?v=aD57XGoToSE
youtube.com/watch?v=CkFYV9S0YDo
youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc
youtube.com/watch?v=gFHLO_2_THg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1997
twitter.com/AnonBabble

70s / 80s bong soul / funk / jazz funk / rare groove collectors definitely were

Nerdy ham radio operator tier af I mean

no

Yes. The industry never changes. Pic related was literally the "Lil Dicky - Earth" of the 80s.
>let's get a bunch of famous industry plants together and beat you over the head with a political message about something that doesn't really matter
>let's raise a bunch of money and make ourselves richer and more famous instead of actually donating it

Attached: USAForAfrica-WeAreTheWorld (1).jpg (1500x1500, 855K)

except that we are the world is not a soul, funk, or disco song

>obnoxious hip-hop fans
you mean they are racist against blacks? yes they also were racist back then, probably a little worse - but thats up for debate.

Nah, but it's literally the same shit the industry does now.

yeah but what does that have to do with the (admittedly retarded) thread topic

soul, funk and disco were actual good so its not comparable

>racist against blacks
Black music ages like milk. All of those soul and funk records are rotting in bargain bins now while rock records hold their value. You can buy any Stevie Wonder album for under $5 while any Beatles album will run you around $20.
Kendrick Lamar records will be rotting in a dollar bin in a few years. TPAB is already showing its age. It sounds dated as fuck.

Stevie Wonder is good though.
>You can buy any Stevie Wonder album for under $5 while any Beatles album will run you around $20.
ebay.com/itm/New-THE-BEATLES-Abbey-Road-Remastered-CD-w-Rare-Photos-Liner-Notes/332905473082?epid=72619551&hash=item4d82b6643a:g:-CwAAOSw-4Jb~DHp

>CD

ebay.com/itm/Abbey-Road-LP-by-The-Beatles-1969-Vinyl/383037598323?epid=1100692743&hash=item592ed1ea73:g:j0QAAOSwh2xX~7p7

actually good question
i'd like to think not since these genres aren't nearly as obnoxious/lowbrow as hip hop, but who knows. there have always been nerdy white people who are vocally into black music
can any oldfags chime in on this?

no those were the rock fans, it was agreeable pop music while rock is aggressive and dumb, it was also hideously bad during the 1970s, Led Zeppelin are one of the worst bands to ever exist for example.

It doesn't age any better or worse than rock, it's just that the audience for rock is bigger.

No, don't be silly. Thug culture wasn't a thing in the 70s or even the early hip-hop of the 80s.

I see you Christgau.

Kendrick Lamar should be in a dollar bin already
"Man rapes his mom - so deep! Wow!"

Actually I've hardly ever seen soul and funk albums at the Goodwill. It's about 80% bland white pop and country from the 60s-70s.

I mean, come on. Do you honestly think this:

youtube.com/watch?v=aD57XGoToSE

is anything like

youtube.com/watch?v=CkFYV9S0YDo

lol you can find tons of white ppl music in the bargain bin. theres stuff from all genres. but i see way more white jazz in bargain bins than black jazz.

it's true, all of led zeppelin's success was based on plagiarizing lesser known artists and singing in a ridiculous ebonics imitation accent.
youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc
youtube.com/watch?v=gFHLO_2_THg
the original music is just so much better too.

>guy who lives in a bland white people neighborhood finds bland white people music at Goodwill

Wait wasn't hip-hop built off of sampling?

Attached: soyface.jpg (1024x1050, 398K)

Though surely you think there'd be some classic rock in there but there's none.

Not as much of it to begin with and it's more collectable/sought after. But also one problem for collectors is that rock albums were often owned by teenagers who didn't take very good care of them and they tend to be in poor condition.

It's just vinyl really, you can find tons of 90s rock CDs at thrift stores.

>no those were the rock fans, it was agreeable pop music while rock is aggressive and dumb, it was also hideously bad during the 1970s

Attached: 96353ab74728debcc56dc9362805d405.jpg (236x182, 10K)

>there have always been nerdy white people who are vocally into black music
Like, why do they always seem to be balding dudes with glasses.

Because they're fucking incel nerds trying DESPERATELY to be normies. It's their way of adapting. They pretend to understand what normies understand, but they'll never understand. They'll always be on the outside looking into a culture that they don't belong to.
Black culture has always been the mainstream culture of America. Soul/Disco was pop music. Rock music was not. It was the alternative. Look at the top 40 songs of any decade since the 60s. It's always been soul/rnb/disco black pop music, same as today.
We think of rock when we think of those decades because it's good music. History remembers the winners. If you look at what was popular in its time, it was black pop.
When we look back on this decade, nobody will remember the oceans of forgettable rappers and rnb singers. Nobody will care. It's cheap plastic music that isn't made to last. It will be remembered like disco or the bling era.

This.

When you think of the greatest albums of 1976, you may think of the Ramones, Station To Station, Rainbow Rising, 2112, The Modern Lovers, etc. but the charts were topped by Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye.

The 76 charts are full of Wings, Elton John, Olivia Newton-John, Hall & Oates, and Eagles all the whitest of white music.

quentin tarantino type dudes have always been around although it was never as widespread as it is right now. blame content farms and hack writers for abandoning certain familiar genres and actively promoting others they don't understand

what should bother you are these same people pretending to give a fuck about disco because of this editorial narrative that it was unfairly maligned by lumpen or ignorant whites, and didn't turn into horribly stagnant incidental music for nightclubs by the end of it's life. that's the real bullshit

And black music on the charts, such as it were, was the more poppy, radio-friendly stuff, you didn't have P-Funk being played on AM.

Regardless of how disco originated, by 1979 its audience was 90% white normies and it had become a commercialized shitshow.

Tarantino is a literal cuck.

I was doing a playthrough of the entire 1997 Billboard Hot 100 and there were so so many bland, forgettable R&B songs.

That's exactly how we'll look back on this decade. That kind of music ages like milk. It's very trendy in the moment, and all of the music critics worship it for diversity points, but it's fucking awful and never stands the test of time.

I admit the 70s stuff often had great singing/playing/hooks. By the 90s, R&B just got progressively more and more boring.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1997

I got a kick out of Dru Hill--In My Bed, other than that the stuff is mostly just elevator music.

P-Funk is a lot closer spiritually to the white rock of that era, rock fans can easily get into them.

There's a different kind of Black music just like white music.

The same way there's various Funk and Soul flavors.

Obviously, someone like Diano Ross will get more airplay and popularity than Parliament or James Brown. Same way the radio embraced Foreigner and Billy Joel rather than The Stooges or Roxy Music.

There are commercial side of things and music with character and depth. And Stevie Wonder rules so fuck y'all idiots who says he's worth less than The Beatles.

The Ramones at the time were absolutely insignificant if guys like Christgau didn't promote them. The S/T sold about 1600 copies and even in NYC, most of those punk groups critics were all over didn't get on the radio and only people who were really into the scene at the time knew about them.

James Brown cracked the top 40 a couple of times, first with Think in 1960. Night Train made #35 on the Billboard.

In the 60's yeah. But by the end of the 60's and in the 70's Brown was mostly a "Black" thing for a while so to say. He did have Get Up Off That Thing (I think) but he mostly produced great rhythmic albums and Film Soundtracks.

The ealy punk incarnation of Blondie sure as hell didn't get any radio play, only after they discovered disco, which in fact they proved to be really good at, did they have hit singles.

>blame content farms and hack writers for abandoning certain familiar genres and actively promoting others they don't understand
Cuckgau trying to write about hip-hop is always kinda cringy and by his own admission, he doesn't have any personal or social connection to the scene.

Uh huh. The problem with guys like him is that they don't really want to write about white dudes with guitars because familiarity breeds contempt. So they write about scenes they don't really have a connection to or "get" for diversity's sake.

DAMN has aged like milk, just two years later, but TPAB will most likely age fairly well considering it already had a retro sound.

I've read various stuff of his where he admits he relates better to WMWG on a personal level and he didn't really understand hip-hop in the early days until a black colleague at the Voice cued him a bit.

We know.

>those evil old racist redneck white rock fans who burned disco records, they just hated POCs

why do americans think milk ages badly?
have they never heard of cheese?

Honestly, how great was R Kelly anyway? I've never felt he had anything memorable or anything that's held up.

Frank Ocean and The Weeknd will be remembered the same way.

No, not at all. Don't be silly.