Have Rock and Metal died?

This is a legitimate question. Through my 'career' as a musician I've floated pretty seamlessly through nearly all facets of foundational rock and survived most of it's at times uncomfortable trends. With a foray into electronic, jazz and classical scores even... I've fought very hard to avoid the nostalgia driven mental lockbox people put themselves into musically up until now (I'm 30).

Preferring extreme Metal as a guitarist, I've sought to keep a fresh perspective on what's happening in parallel or even popular genres that just happen to be related. Coming off of the 'Djent' wave I have completely lost view of not just what's popular in the next generation of metal, but pop music, alternative and any other genre. Is it just me or does it seem like music, more specifically Rock and Metal is in it's death rattle at the moment?

Attached: death-of-music-industry.jpg (1024x768, 99K)

The Beatles were turned down by Decca because "groups with guitars were on the way out". Man, do whatever the fuck you want, we can't predict shit.

metal is alive and well. rock, not so much

Absolutely not. While djent has been the big thing in modern metal for a few years, I think fusion/math/prog based music is the future of metal. Stuff like haken, arch echo, David Maxim micic etc etc

>Haken
They went from a good Dream Theater clone to poor man's Leprous

This is the type of thing I was hoping to read. I'm pretty connected in that scene and every artist you just mentioned is totally unknown by me.

They're dead in the mainstream, yeah. You will never hear it on radio or see it on top of spotify. But they're alive and well underground.

Djent is already dead
We still have good black and death metal scenes

Djents death was so clearly inevitable the moment in caught on. And while I still love the tech death scene it's yet to get more interesting after the fretless phase. Black and Death are just kind of a mainstay that never seem to lose appeal to their fanbase.

Guess I lied, have heard the former and latter, arch echo is surely interesting but I don't see a big following for it materializing.

That's what I first thought upon hearing them years ago but I think they have really carved out their own identity for themselves. Visions is an excellent concept album and especially their newest album Vector shows that they have a strong unique identity that nobody else does better than themselves.

Those were just 3 bands I currently really like, Im not into the entire scene enough to know the pulse. In my mind if you are asking "will metal ever be popular and mainstream like it was in the 80s and 90s " I think the answer is no but that doesn't mean metal is dead just the opposite. There's tons of great stuff out there and s band doesn't need to play a world tour or sell a platinum album these days to be a good act IMO.

No, but they're dying (and that's a good thing)

The objectively best kind of metal is the Maiden and Priest variety.

As a follow up to that, my Central point is that metal is bigger than ever, but instead of huge mainstream acts like Iron Maiden in metals heydey there are now thousands of lesser known acts all operating in their own niche. If you want blackened doom tech theres bands for that. If you want Disney blast beats jam madness there's Native Construct - quiet world. If you want mariachi opera samba metal there's Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata. Just two name two very specific examples.

To me metal is a genre that has always taken and built on it's past. In the 80s people like EVH started doing crazy guitar solos that were virtuosic and people reacted. Now, it's absolutely required that metal acts are able to do that same thing. Or with drumming, the stuff that modern metal drummers are expected at a minimum to play blows almost anything from decades ago away. So because metal follows that musicianship and skill first mentality and also pushing boundaries (alot of times not all the time) it's not meant to be and won't ever be mass consumed by your average plebshit who just wants "a good beat yo" or "fire lyrics" or whatever bottom of the barrel tripe that passes for entertainment today

It is a pulse check I'm trying to do tbch. You're right but I'm not looking for mainstream popularity as much as a sustainable audience to create for. When I write I often have fun playing with newer music trends and old to create something new. The "write from the heart" guys, despite their wholesome intentions, don't realize that for some of us that means creating the most unlistenable techy trash on earth. Haha.

But yes, I'm inquiring on any uprising sub genre or group of bands within one, as I cannot find any with momentum personally.

Ok boomer

Attached: 767762.jpg (312x312, 49K)

I'm a Yoomer, Zoomer.

The raconteurs just had the #1 album

Yes. Fuck Rock and Metal. They're both dying and fucking should be. Boomers shouldn't be controlling popular music or humanity will go backward.

That's fine but what are you actually into? Because I'm seeing energized movements of music die in general.

BURN YOUR GUITAR AND MAKE EXPERIMENTAL ELECTRONICA

Hip Hop as a whole, especially Experimental Hip Hop. Newgaze. Neo-psychedelia. Pop as a whole, especially Indie Pop like Snail Mail, Car Seat Headrest, and Harlem (not popular music, the genre of Pop). IDM.

I'm stuck in the 90s with rock and metal, and it feels good. Not planning on ever leaving.

your tastes are neither as special nor as deep as you think they are

I do... everybody has been doing that since 1987. There's few good guitarists I know who don't.

How can taste be "deep"? I like the music I like.

i look at the rockist posters and the music they listen to and i see no such influence or direction. can you name some of these artists? having a synth player doesn't count

Why would prolific electronic composers be known for playing guitar unsuccessfully in unsuccessful bands or as a hobby? Walking into music production with a background isn't the only way to do it, but it's a shortcut, and a lot of locally electronic music artists I know are old bandmates who played with their recording software.

Rock and metal will never be mainstream again. They are obsolete genres for the mainstream.

underground/indie scenes will always be alive though.

i don't know much about metal but the indie rock scene is as strong as ever.

Jazz and Metal/Rock suffered the same genre death. Each stopped being a youth driven genre and died because it fragmented into too many subgenres. Too niche.

Thats fair but like... what is? Even modern pop and electronic are suffering from lack or inspiration and direction.

>what is?
most of what's popular nowadays seems to be very mixed genre wise desu. i don't think pop and electronic are suffering so much as they've simply successfully been incorporated into other genres.

You realize a lot of this stuff is almost boomer aged and the turning point is going to kill their scenes as well?

>modern pop
not my thing, but i like Clarence clarity, PC music, and the likes. really not my thing tho.
>electronic
couldn't be more wrong. there's an incredible amount of great electronic music out there. the necessary technology has never been cheaper or as easily accessible. compare that to the foundational days of electronic music where 50 megalomaniacs a year had access to the tools or the funding to make electronic music. or even 25 years ago when gear was more of a necessity. with that said, not very much of it gets funding and there's a lack of interest in it. lots of clubs are shutting down, patrons like red bull are going under, and EDM festival culture reigns supreme. you just have to look for it.
see:
>PAN
>Tri Angle
>Warp
>Brainfeeder
>hundreds of immensely talented artists making little to nothing on their music

Whoa thanks for opening my eyes to the fact that slam poetry over beats is the future of music and melodies are dead.

I was at the Download Festival the other week, and there was a lot of young people in the crowd. Kids who couldn't have been older than 21-22 singing along to every word by Tool and Smashing Pumpkins. I'd see people wearing t-shirts of bands like IDLES, Slaves and The Chats.

There is quite clearly a market for rock music among young people in 2019, but if the music press aren't going to bother promoting any rock artists aside from dull inoffensive radio friendly Indie Pop and instead shill for pop and mumble rap, naturally there's going to be less interest.

>hip hop can't have melodic/harmonic content
>drums are unique to hip hop
>poetry is unique to hip hop
>this is what rockists actually believe
delete yourself. this board is so fucking trash. if there were ever any worthwhile posters, they're gone by now. i'm out.

>this board is so fucking trash. if there were ever any worthwhile posters, they're gone by now. i'm out.

I havent been on this board in years and came to find a real answer to my question... and I can tell you right now, the only thing that has changed is activity. You're the first person I've seen do a Twitter-esque departure notice in the face of anti hiphop posters, which have ALWAYS been here.

Problem is, as much as I like those bands, they don't do anything new. It's all been done before. Has there really been a rock album or even song in the last ten years that's really been something brand new?