Why is MJ not considered the GOAT by music critics?

RS placed him at #35.

Attached: 4.jpg (430x430, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yUi_S6YWjZw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"woke" opinion has shifted to disliking MJ

Because he's a gay pedo nigger

probably the child molestation

For you

>inb4 npc pedo jokes
It's 2019.

probably because he liked fucking kids LOL

he doesn't make rock music

>multiple criminal trials acquitting MJ of all charges
I sleep
>one shitty, biased documentary that's a clear and obvious cash grab
He's a pedo

>rolling stone
lol

Critics are necessarily anti-populist contrarians.
> It's too high to get over (yeah, yeah)
> Too low to get under (yeah, yeah)

He never played any instruments.
Even though he wrote all of his biggest hits and some of the greatest pop songs ever, the fact that he couldn't play 12 bar blues means he's looked down upon.

His sons are lame, he's creepy, his voice is annoying. He deserves recognition for being a huge cultural force, but most of his music really isn't that great.

youtube.com/watch?v=yUi_S6YWjZw

His father taught him how to play an instrument, didn't he?

He did lots of production work.

His voice is the most important instrument you brainlet.

Because music critics don't like music

He was actually the only person in the Jackson 5 to not know how to play an instrument. He was carrying the entire group on his back so there was really no need.

Attached: 5.jpg (640x453, 47K)

He has some great stuff (the Jackson 5 hits, Off the Wall, Thriller) but basically JUST’ed himself into being considered a joke by the public. When people think Michael Jackson, their first image isn’t cool, young Michael singing Billie Jean, it’s el ayuwoki diddling kids and looking like an ancient Native American dark spirit.

I know. I was defending him ya simp.

MJ played instruments back then and even better at his prime.

MJ still has one of the strongest legacies in music

Attached: DBXdHdxVYAAn0v2.jpg (468x367, 26K)

The fact that was accused of being a literal nonce and yet continues to loved and played the world over is testament to this. Nobody else could've survived that career wise.

Off the wall was fucking magic. I cannot tell you how many times i've listend to that album. Fucking classic. "he can fuck any amount of children anytime anywhere". Which didn't happen.

What has he done that's musically impressive? He was the biggest pop marketing project ever. A great performing artist but not a musician.

He wrote all his best stuff.

well excuse me for not taking settlements very seriously.

You do realise that Michael refused to pay $1million (chump change) to the family before they went to the authorities. They were trying to get money out of him for months and he wouldn't budge, which is why they eventually went to the police. He co-operated with the police for months and got fucked over which is why he settled.

He was on tour so his lawyers urged him to settle rather than cancelling dates and losing money. It was an incredibly dumb move.
Plus evidence form that case was allowed to be used in the 2005 trial, meaning he was essentially acquitted of both.

The worst thing about Michael Jackson was the hypocrisy.

Because all pop is shit

Attached: image.jpg (800x894, 230K)

>man sleeps with children in bed
>BUT DUDE HE LIKE DIDN'T HAVE A CHILDHOOD

>the fact that he couldn't play 12 bar blues means he's looked down upon
Why would anyone but a couple of boomers care about that?

>He never played any instruments.
Are you brain damaged?

Zoomers are rewriting history baka

Thriller [Epic, 1982]
The best-selling album of the millennium was clearly a hits-plus-filler job from the beginning--what we couldn't know is how brilliantly every hit but "P.Y.T." would thrive on mass exposure and public pleasure. The inexhaustible "Beat It" broadcasts Eddie Van Halen wielding his might in the service of the antimacho that is his secret vice. "The Girl Is Mine" got interracial love on the radio and proved cuter than "Michelle." "Wanna Be Startin' Something" starts something every time an air or floor jock starts it up. "Billie Jean" is Michael's clearest statement to date on sexuality and stardom. And "Thriller" is the rare song that's improved by its video, which fleshes out the not-quite-a-joke scariness of "the funk of 40,000 years" for (Michael and) his (white) fans. A

Bad [Epic, 1987]
Anybody who charges studio hackery is too narrow-minded to be able to hear pros out-doing themselves. Studio mastery is more like it, the strongest and most consistent black pop album in years, defining Jam & Lewis's revamp of Baby Sis as the mainstream and then inundating it in rhythmic and vocal power. But what made Thriller a miracle wasn't consistency--it was genius like "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" and the unknowable allure of the pure star. The closest thing to genius here is the CD-only "Leave Me Alone," which isn't all that close and also suggests what's happened to his allure--the more knowable he gets, the more fucked up he seems. This is a record that damn near wrecks perfectly good dancin' and singin' with subtext. He's against burglary, speeding, and sex ("Dirty Diana" is as misogynistic as any piece of metal suck-my-cock), in favor of harmonic convergence and changing the world by changing the man in the mirror. His ideal African comes from Liberia. And he claims moonwalking makes him a righteous brother. Like shit. B+

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

Is it me or does this guy's idea of what makes a good album change every other review? So apparently Bad is...bad because Michael gets political? Huh?

>the more knowable he gets, the more fucked up he seems
Pretty much, boomer was into something

>B+
>bad
He said that the appeal of the other albums was the super star status and aesthetic, bad was more relatable and boring, for him, i like it more than thriller desu

He's saying you shouldn't wreck good-time fun dancepop with depressing politics you listen to the stuff to escape from.

I agree, as he started getting more political and whining how mean we were to black people, he started to become borderline obnoxious.

>h-he was innocent
Reminder that his name was in Epstein's address book

Attached: D-6Km4KWsAAdorE.jpg (444x522, 25K)

Christgau also pretty much panned His-Tory. Guess Scream didn't appeal to him.

Off the wall was a based album thriller alright for a toto ft Michael Jackson album

The rest of his discog is honestly shite

OTW is the last album where he just seems to be having a good time instead of trying to be the biggest entertainer on the planet. From Thriller onward his delivery sounds very mannered and clenched.

Even, say, Off The Wall sounds like very typical commercial 1979 pop music.

Anybody in the world knows this man, from some rice crop in Malaysia to a favela in Rio de Janeiro. A legend. That's all that matters.

That documentary was shit but MJ is still a pedo lol

That doesn't mean he still wasn't a child rapist.

Which children did he rape?

Listen to Stranger in Moscow so that you're educated enough to not make such a stupid comment again

He did that in like one song, They Don't Care About Us. what are you talking about

Black Or White and Earth Song were pretty political too desu.

You know what, you're right. Because user decides that his sons aren't hip enough and his voice is annoying, his status as one of the greatest singers in popular music is now rendered obsolete.

>most of his music really isn't that great
And I'm sure what you listen to is heralded worldwide as both critically and commercially some of the best music of the last century. Listen to, uh I dunno, Thriller, Beat it, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Stranger in Moscow, Leave me Alone, Wanna be Startin Somethin, Blood on the Dance Floor and like half his discography, and then make the same post.

Based

Except he wasn't "whining" in Black or White, it's about as uplifting as a political song can get lol. And Earth Song is literally the most innocuous environmental song, imagine finding that obnoxious or disagreeing with it

Attached: 1547547096005.png (532x534, 324K)

Ever heard of Billie Jean user?

Is there anything that sold more than Triller? Probably gospel songs.

Eagles greatest hits in the U.S

The Eagles are that popular?

lotta dads in the US

I searched, according to the Billboard website, these are the top five in the Billboard 200 Eagles chart history list.

Attached: Egles_Billboard.jpg (615x585, 28K)

They're still actively touring too.

touc(he)d c(h)ildr(e)n

Daily reminder that Off the Wall > Thriller.

I'm a death metal nerd... still think he was that hands down greatest pop star in human history, and a good songwriter too.

The Eagles have one of the best marketing machines in rock.

>a couple of boomers
That's who writes the lists user

But what children were molested?

Rolling Stone also claims that Pet Sounds is the 2nd best album ever made.

Based retard

He loosened up a lot on Invincible

in what way?

I Can't Help it and Get On The Floor from Off The Wall are so good.

Pedophile