Zoomers of Yea Forums, how familiar are you with the popular music of the mid-90s?

Zoomers of Yea Forums, how familiar are you with the popular music of the mid-90s?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 1.39.45 AM.png (215x361, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dP2t9LBeAwo
youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts
youtube.com/watch?v=TR3Vdo5etCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=i8dh9gDzmz8
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
youtube.com/watch?v=LuN6gs0AJls
youtube.com/watch?v=33mec03xeow
youtube.com/watch?v=Rqnw5IfbZOU
youtube.com/watch?v=JoXVYSV4Xcs
youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E
youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM
youtube.com/watch?v=-oqAU5VxFWs
youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE
youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY
youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_I_Come_Around
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Jones_(Counting_Crows_song)
youtube.com/watch?v=8WEtxJ4-sh4
youtube.com/watch?v=Un-ZrB0sFto
youtube.com/watch?v=cWHicFCKxVE
youtube.com/watch?v=8RFTB5vgV_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

wait i thought oasis only had 1 hit in the us

Attached: hm.png (411x387, 8K)

grew up hearing almost all of this on my father’s iPod Nano
>the daze

Oasis had songs after Wonderwall? the fuck?

that said, I know like 3 of those songs and have at least heard of all the artists before except brownstone and soul for real

I was born in 1990 and know 3 of those songs.

Hardly at all because the 90's was hands down the worst era for popular music. Even the 2000's was better.

What the fuck is Oasis - Live Forever

zoomers don't know about fapping to the Red Light Special video, and having to try to time it so you didn't bust when the camera was focusing on one of the male strippers
youtube.com/watch?v=dP2t9LBeAwo

Candy Rain is a bop =D

t. born in 2000

It's an MTV List.
Just because they played it doesn't mean it was a hit. MTV played all kinds of shit that never made it on the top 40 charts.

Indeed. Zoomer master race. Nirvana is fucking terrible.

You're just bitter you have no connection to the greatest musical decade. If you were born a few months earlier you'd be praising it

>Just because they played it doesn't mean it was a hit. MTV played all kinds of shit that never made it on the top 40 charts.
MTV has always been like that though. Tons of stuff that was huge in the 80s on MTV never got released as singles in America and never charted.

But just because it never made it onto the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 doesn't mean it wasn't a hit. A hit on MTV or rock stations is still a hit. "Fly" by Sugar Ray was ineligible to chart on the Hot 100 but nobody would deny that it wasn't a hit.

>Greatest music decade
That is patently absurd. Name your favorite 90's records

by virtue of MTV playing something a lot, wouldn't that make it a hit though?

Videos that try to turn people gay/bisexual. It was all a trap.

Too many to name. Enjoy forever being associated with the dark times in which Britney Spears and Linkin Park were popular

born in 99, i mean these are all major hits idk why anyone wouldnt know at least 90% of these, being this is a music board

Generational gaps in music knowledge don't exist anymore, OP.

>it wasn't a hit if it wasn't ranked in the Top 40 of the Hot 100
Going by your logic, then, none of these songs were actual hits because they didn't make the Top 40 of the Hot 100 chart for one reason or another:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts
youtube.com/watch?v=TR3Vdo5etCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=i8dh9gDzmz8
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
youtube.com/watch?v=LuN6gs0AJls
youtube.com/watch?v=33mec03xeow
youtube.com/watch?v=Rqnw5IfbZOU
youtube.com/watch?v=JoXVYSV4Xcs
youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E
youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM
youtube.com/watch?v=-oqAU5VxFWs
youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE
youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY
youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc
Yet all of these songs were incredibly popular at the time they came out and many still are to some degree.

The Hot 100's methodology was (and still is) an outdated form of determining what was a hit in the popular consciousness once MTV hit, and once more single sales declined, and again when digital downloads became a thing. You're literally being pedantic.

oh they for sure do, just in people that listen to mainstream music only. there are still alot of those, just in no way are those people on here rendering this thread useless

They definitely do though. Only a fairly small slice of popular 80s and 90s music (namely stuff that stayed in heavy rotation on radio in the early to mid 00s, songs featured in movies, or that became memes of some kind, or benefited from youtube's algorithm later on) has actually filtered down to the younger generation through sheer exposure. Otherwise they're not going to hear a lot of that stuff. Despite it being a hypothetical click away at this point, most aren't going to actively seek it out.

You guys are all fucking retarded.

Live Forever was released before Wonderwall. Yes, Oasis had other hits than Wonderwall.

Supersonic, Morning Glory, Don't Look Back in Anger and Champagne Supernova were also hits.

Maybe in england but not america. I was born in 2001 and I never heard of any of those.

Stop being trolled hard. Jesus Christ dude.

I literally don't know most of these. They're not hits.

>I was born in 2001 and I never heard the songs that were hits in the mid 90s.

arent the majority of mu users zoomers now anyway? i feel like the demographic of this board is college aged people anyway, which people in college are pretty much zoomers at this point

its boomercore cringe

played on rock stations =/= a hit

Not even him and I know every one of those songs. They were all hits in their time.

Most of them aren't very popular anymore, but trust me, people were bumping that shit.

You've got to be trolling...

when i come around was #2 on the mainstream top 40, was a huge hit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_I_Come_Around

Mr Jones was also #2 on the mainstream top 40

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Jones_(Counting_Crows_song)

don't feel like looking up the rest

Considering alternative rock was THE big genre in the 90s, yes it fucking was

this is about as retarded as saying disco music couldn't have been a hit in 70s since disco isnt big anymore

Wasn't Don't Go Away a hit too?

Yeah, I think it was a hit but that was pretty much the tail end of their massive mainstream popularity.

OK but you're kind of proving my point.

Mainstream Top 40 is the new name for the "pop/hits radio" airplay chart though, not they actual Top 40 of the Hot 100. Besides, that defeats your purpose because pop radio also played stuff that didn't actually make the top of the Hot 100 either. So how is that more legitimate, then, say a weekly ranking of top ten most played MTV videos? Either way, tons of people are going to be exposed to the song through these avenues regardless of whether it charts at #1 or #100 on the Hot 100.

this is really only applicable to the US though
I'm surprised there's even an oasis song there

Oasis got a pretty decent amount of rotation and coverage from MTV at the time

It says the words Mainstream Top 40 in the name, so it's the Top 40. MTV does not have the words Top 40 in it, does it?

pop rock has always been trash

what are your favorite 90s musical artists then?

PM Dawn

Based

yeah I'm sure they broke america to a certain extent, couldn't tell you what their US hits were though. there are like 20 commonly known oasis songs in the UK

patrician

God I despise Oasis

>couldn't tell you what their US hits were though.
Wonderwall was the huge one. Champagne Supernova was pretty damn big as well. Don't Look Back in Anger was kind of a hit but suffered as it came out right as the band's ill-fated 96 tour here gave them a lot of bad press and turned coverage against them, so the single kind of flopped in comparison to the other two though it's decently remember by plenty of Gen Xers. Live Forever was a pretty big rock radio hit too in the months before Wonderwall came out, as was Supersonic. There were like one or two off the third album that were moderate rock radio hits at the time, but haven't been played in twenty years at this point.

Imagine actually believing this. Imagine being born in the 2000s and actually thinking your opinion on ANYTHING matters.

>Master race
Please. Zoomers have no soul. They are the beginning of the end of humanity.

literally only know big poppa off here
t. 1998

Fuck off, underage shit. Christ almighty you people are infuriating.

I know almost all of those performers (never heard of Soul For Real or Brownstone)
Lightening Crashes and Big Poppa are good songs

That's why this board is such fucking trash. Generation Z is the WORST generation ever.

How the fuck have you never heard When I Come Around by Green Day? I though you zoomers loved them. That song still gets played to death even today.

>Gotta get away
>Not Come out and play or Self esteem
That seems weird

there are culturally ignorant dipshits from each generation
I was born in '99 and I'm consistently surprised about what some people aren't aware of

boulevard of broken dreams is pretty popular with kids i know, and 21 guns. never heard of this one though

The early 1990's were okay, but hands down 1995-2007 was the worst period for music, popular culture, fashion, etc. I'm glad I was only a child throughout most of that.

this is from like spring '95 so that would have been the current single they were promoting at the time

because you have no friends and play video games instead of listening to the radio

>radio

Attached: boomer.jpg (480x360, 27K)

>The early 1990's were okay
You're shitting me. Early 90s music was absolute garbage. Tons of 80s hangover type shit bleeding into the 90s, hair metal, power ballads, corny teenybopper and dance shit, generic new jack swing shit, Phil Collins/Genesis were still huge despite no longer being that good anymore.

Not talking about pop music. There was loads of good proto-shoegaze/shoegaze, jangle pop and power pop stuff before a lot of those bands unfortunately dropped it and britpop took over. Earlier grunge and the other alternative rock bands were quite decent (before Nirvana made caused them to become over-saturated). The rave scene was at its underground peak, and all the genres sprouted from that were pretty based. Early trip-hop was cool too.
Btw, this is from a UK perspective. I'm sure it was very different in the US.

19 here, never heard any of these songs

Ok, yeah the UK scene was great in that era.

80's pop sucked, but 90's pop was much worse.

No. Pop music from about 1993 - 1998 was pretty kino, especially the alt rock or hip-hop stuff that crossed over.

>listening to rock music on the radio while chilling with friends instead of sharing curated spotify playlists on bluetooth bose speaker
sounds comfy but not from my era grandad

>hip-hop

have to agree

youtube.com/watch?v=8WEtxJ4-sh4
youtube.com/watch?v=Un-ZrB0sFto
youtube.com/watch?v=cWHicFCKxVE
youtube.com/watch?v=8RFTB5vgV_4

ITT:

>Rock music? Pfft, there was no way that was popular in the 90s
>Oasis? I doubt anyone listened to anything but wonderwall
>I've never heard any of those 90 hits, there's no way anyone actually listened to them
>I was born in 2008 btw

welcome to neo-Yea Forums

>"have you heard about assshhhhkenazi jewsssshhh?"
>"d-disssshhcord-tranny"
i wonder where we rank at this point in terms of music forums

Attached: 1428616838761.jpg (1990x348, 240K)

Based. Boomers stay mad

hmmmm