Why do edgelords continue to bash Pantera here...

Why do edgelords continue to bash Pantera here? Starting from Cowboys they were easily the best and most consistent metal band. They were unique and hella good

Attached: pantera_logo.jpg (1600x1200, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cCYWzELFOow
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEA5BZ0N8o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cringe

Sage

Based

Pantera is great, only a biased person denies it.
>Why do edgelords continue to bash Pantera here?
Because it's not MUH BLACK METAL NORWAY WAS SO COOL IN THE EARLY 90s LARPing faggots/clout chasing wanna be metal fans.

Though I think most of the hate doesn't come from them and comes more from soibois who hate Pantera for their unapologetically "macho" image which makes them feel very insecure.

The Great Southern Trendkill and to a lesser degree Far Beyond Driven are great albums.

youtube.com/watch?v=cCYWzELFOow

because it's entry level metal, it's nothing you wanna dive too deep into. if you do, youre plebby.

Why do some edgelords continue to defend Pantera here?

>because it's entry level metal, it's nothing you wanna dive too deep into
This makes no sense at all, and basically cements you as a complete and total poseur.

You call Pantera "entry level", yet claim it's not worth getting into, what this tells me is you're the kind of "metal fan" who hasn't even passed stage 1 yet but pretends to have beaten the game. Ultimate definition of a POSEUR.

Pantera riffs are plain and uninteresting. They have no melody and mediocre songwriting. It’s sun-par metal for wanna be tough guys.

because Yea Forums is just neckbeards with glasses that don't realize their art degrees are useless

Yea Forums thinks thom yorke invented music

>They have no melody
And here's how we know the only song you ever heard was "Walk" and you stopped the song before it got to the solo. Protip...metal isn't music for casuals or people who "skim" through music. You're in or you're out, no such thing as a "casual metalhead", stick to pop and rap faggot.

>groove metal

I can't stand Phil on any level.

>all the lyrics are posturing bullshit
>a direct predecessor of genres like metalcore, deathcore, and djent, and whatever the fuck FFDP is
>Dime's tone is retarded and seriously needs to get called out more
>their brand of "groove metal" is just slowed-down thrash
>the glam stuff is actually not that bad but is ignored because it ruins the macho image
Pantera was the band for people who complained about Nirvana being on rock radio stations but didn't look into what other bands or genres were developing around that time. This is the kind of band that can't write or cover a moody song without sabotaging it with a shitty breakdown or going out of their way to let their fans know to not be mad at them. I'll jam to Power Metal and some of the songs from Cowboys but it's hard to really see what the big fucking deal was

Attached: 06737442c15b7a5c20fc269d8ababdb4.jpg (290x413, 29K)

>>their brand of "groove metal" is just slowed-down thrash
Not really, I would say literally the only thing a lot of their songs had in common with thrash was the speed at all.
>but didn't look into what other bands or genres were developing around that time.
Cause black metal is shit and death metal was a less shit but equally gimmicky trend that was never going to get bigger than clubs. I'm sure people knew about fucking Cannibal Corpse, just if you weren't 16 and trying to scare mommy you likely didn't care much, and if you were a seasoned headbanger you probably had an affinity for you know, riffs and solos, so nu-metal and shit like Marilyn Manson was probably not very interesting to you either.

just starting to get into pantera and i've gotta say, they kick ass. the riffs are bludgeoning but groovy, the rhythms are furious, phil's vocals move along with them very effectively. good stuff.
>Not really, I would say literally the only thing a lot of their songs had in common with thrash was the speed at all.
i don't know, they definitely tap into that whole midtempo street-tough thing anthrax pioneered. cowboys from hell especially reminds me of belladonna-era anthrax, with phil delivering some soaring old-school metal vocals alongside his gruffer stylings.

>if you were a seasoned headbanger you probably had an affinity for you know, riffs and solos
Most Pantera riffs barely have enough of a rhythm to headbang to, look at the one good riff from This Love and compare it to the demo from their glam days that they repurposed it from
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEA5BZ0N8o

And like I said, Dime's tone is retarded. The other guy mentioned that Pantera lacks melody in their writing and he's right, it's a reason a song like fucking Floods can be overhyped by the fans because it's one of the few songs of theirs that has any semblance of melody (and even that's ruined by a fucking BWOOOOOOW, BWOOOOOOOW, BWOOOOOOW breakdown). Funny how your examples were Manson and Cannibal Corpse, some of the most known acts of the era. Thanks for proving me right about Pantera being for basic bitches that still let the radio dictate what they like

Yeah there is a thrash element to Pantera's music and some might consider them an offshoot of thrash, but to me I just can't put them in the category, they have way more "stink" if that makes any sense that they probably got more from the likes of Van Halen than they did Exodus.

They were closer to actual thrash in the "Glamtera" days than they were post Cowboys when they become more pure about the groove with speed just thrown in to break it up or the occasional fast song.
>Funny how your examples were Manson and Cannibal Corpse, some of the most known acts of the era. Thanks for proving me right about Pantera being for basic bitches that still let the radio dictate what they like
The fact that you think Cannibal Corpse was played on the radio ever shows how little you know about the 90's, but regardless, yes I use the most known bands to generalize the bands who were doing what they do on a smaller scale. Death metal is death metal is death metal. Tons of people who were grown by the 90s didn't care for it, because it had nothing in common with classic metal and rock for the most part and was going in a complete other direction. I could namedrop Asphyx or Dismember or some garbage non metal grindcore shit or whatever suits your fancy, it really doesn't matter, extreme metal was a cutting off point from the previous genres that a lot of people who were even into thrash couldn't get into whole heartedly.

Why shit on Pantera when Machine Head exist?

Attached: trash.jpg (432x347, 29K)

Art of Shredding is my favorite song of theirs and the bass behind Dime's solo on Floods is fucking orgasmic. I don't understand why Walk became so popular, extremely repetitive song where nothing exciting really happens.

Also, they might down look on it and ignore ot because they still had the glam image but Power Metal is an amazing fucking album.

RE

Chucktera - Vulgar Display Of Sneed

SPEK

WOK

Walk is their "Enter Sandman", it just is

They made two songs you can lift weights to. That's about it.

>I don't understand why Walk became so popular
A lot of people can relate to the lyrics.

Reinventing the Steel [Eastwest, 2000] *bomb*

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

BM fans are really different crowd than trad and thrash

This is objectively correct though.

Yesterday Don't Mean Shit is my favorite song by them

Yeah RTS is bad. Shit mix that hurts to listen to and the fact that it's basically the band retelling their career is a sign that it was pretty much over. At least they ended with the 90s as opposed to Korn and Manson who never got the message.

Pretty dumb thing to say, considering the 00s was when "metal" metal made a comeback on the shoulders of nu-metal. Pantera would likely be Metallica stature by now if they kept it together.

Black Metal fans are hipsters

>Pantera would likely be Metallica stature by now if they kept it together
Lol no

That episode of Spongebob they guest starred on was kino

T. someone who wasn't alive or old enough to remember how big Pantera was before they broke up and how synonymous they were with metal and how much they were praised for being the only big band waving the flag of metal, loved by young and old, Pantera in the late 90s were what Metallica was in the early 90's.

youre a dipshit if you hate 'lower levels' of metal

On top of this Pantera also got a lot of cred BECAUSE of Metallica who was seen as sell outs who dropped the ball that Pantera picked up. They dissed Metallica multiple times when Metallica was vulnerable and that also got them more fanfare.

There was no other mainstream metal act in the 90s capable of filling arenas. The 80s giants had lost it and become irrelevant or went commercial and most of the currently happening metal scene was underground stuff like black and death metal that appealed only to a niche audience.

Guns N' Roses

Or as Phil put it, "The great metal acts, the giants, they were all softening and moving towards more radio-friendly material. We felt the only thing we could do was to carry on and play as heavy as our style would allow."

>There was no other mainstream metal act in the 90s capable of filling arenas. The 80s giants had lost it and become irrelevant or went commercial and most of the currently happening metal scene was underground stuff like black and death metal that appealed only to a niche audience.
Depends on your definition of metal I guess but no, bands like Korn and Slipknot were becoming international superstars while the biggest death metal bands were playing clubs and absolutely nobody other than hardcore underground people cared about black metal whatsoever, Cradle of Filth was the band who brought it to a mainstream interest in like the late 90s/00s and then nerds in the internet era discovered all the other shit that got no attention outside of tabloid shit when it was an actual scene.

Pantera is objectively the heaviest metal band ever even though other metal bands are much heavier

They had Metallica by the balls and they couldn't answer back or refute why they were putting out Nothing Else Matters to appeal to the Color Me Badd audience.

>putting out Nothing Else Matters to appeal to the Color Me Badd audience.
That's always been a stretch and a half to be honest, a rock power ballad =/= some black people pop RnB dance music

Bon Jovi, whatever.

Pantera's worst albums are better than some bands best albums. I wouldn't mind if they produced another 4-5 albums of similar qualities if it just meant even more Pantera, although their prime material was perfect

Dime's playing on the 80s albums was so much better than the bland chugga chugga riffs he's normally associated with.

Only tourists and soi faggots hate Pantera.

This guy gets it.

Black metal fans always put image over actual musical quality. Not to say that Pantera were overly technical, but I'd argue a song like Walk is leagues ahead of some nordic shut-in gurgling into a dollar store mic while trem picking. The hook in that song sticks in your head. The fact Pantera managed to be super popular while also being unapolagetically heavy pisses off metal nerds to this day.

no one's pissed off at Pantera being popular while being heavy there's just a lot of bands that are better

>This is the kind of band that can't write or cover a moody song without sabotaging it with a shitty breakdown or going out of their way to let their fans know to not be mad at them

Their cover of Planet Caravan is bretty gud. Sounds more or less the same as the original just less psychedelic.

I agree. At some point that ideal marriage of heavy and poppy was forgotten by the metal scene.

Such as? You can't deny they left a significant impact on metal in the 90's. Like the other guy said, the big names like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth et. al either went commercial or just went downhill at the same time Pantera was continuously getting heavier while remaining top fo the game.

True they did open the door for crap like FFDP and Korn but they were pretty good themselves.

Yea Forums fags only like shitty indie garbage that nobody else wants.

if you think Pantera was the most influential in the 90s your opinion is discarded

Korn would have been ok if they'd stopped with Issues and didn't continue into the post-9/11 world and turn into a self-parody.

Groove metal as a whole sucks but I'd take bands like Prong or White Zombie over Pantera any day of the week.

>calling out black metal for supposedly being all about image
>while praising a band who pretend half of their discography doesn't exist because it doesn't fit their image
Pantera were awful and offered nothing to metal except to dilute it to knuckle-dragging faggotry and turn its mainstream perception into tough guy idiocy. Nobody-cares black metal bands like Abyssic Hate may sound like shit but at least they never wrote Good Friends.

>implying he didn't

>he actually thinks Prong is better than Pantera

Attached: 600full-arsene-lupin-iii.jpg (480x360, 29K)

They're certainly more enjoyable and not as cringey as Phil's posturing

>Panterrible

>most consistent metal band
>5 out of 9 albums are agreed to be shit

Prove You Wrong is an excellent album, only Cowboys can compete with it

how the FUCK did they get away with this? !

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

The difference is that those old albums were generic and shitty even for the 80s. At least Pantera in its heyday was rhythmically interesting instead of "blastbeat for 10 minutes recorded on a potato"

No internet, easy to suppress

redneck metal

Sorry fren never liked Panera

figures soi fags here dont like pantera

Pantera was always ok at best imo and this thread is full of retards. Even when talking about groove metal (overall a mediocre genre), the first Machine Head is better than any Pantera album even though Machine Head went far lower with the rest of their discography

>black and death metal are shit
way to out yourself as a wimp

Common misconception. A lot of bm (and i mean bm, not blackgaze) artists and fans like trad or thrash : the whole icelandic black metal scene party to mercyful fate and judas priest, Celtic Frost or Venom are

>There was no other mainstream metal act in the 90s capable of filling arenas.
>The great metal acts, the giants, they were all softening and moving towards more radio-friendly material.

Judas Priest released Painkiller - one of their most commercially successful and agressive albums - in 1990.

>Only tourists and soi faggots hate Pantera.
t. never even approached the underground

>Black metal fans always put image over actual musical quality. Not to say that Pantera were overly technical, but I'd argue a song like Walk is leagues ahead of some nordic shut-in gurgling into a dollar store mic while trem picking.
Way to out yourself as an ignorant retard

>The fact Pantera managed to be super popular while also being unapolagetically heavy pisses off metal nerds to this day.
Have you ever heard of Slayer ?

>"blastbeat for 10 minutes recorded on a potato"
t. only listened to three norwegian second wave bands

can't finish my own posts

Celtic Frost or Venom are hailed as cult bands by literally every second wave band in existence*

Nice posts of truth. This thread was clearly created by a summerfag who barely has any understanding of metal as a whole. Especially the good stuff

ITT: a couple tryhards try to be the 2cool4school 'doctorate in music' kids by saying a band that's liked around the world and has influenced a fuckload of bands is trash when in reality they either like them, or listen to that gay safe to play in mom's minivan shit
>inb4 frantic youtube searches for "the heaviest djent and christian metalcore of all time" to post in order to argue
Pic related, he's gonna LIGHT YO MUTHAFUCKIN FIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: dime.jpg (1020x770, 73K)

I'm reading through the RYM reviews for Vulgar Display and it's just absolutely cringe inducing. It's a goddamn onion farm.

>i'm ignorant so knowledgeable people must be pretentious
>it's popular so it must be good
>djent and metalcore chuggy riffing is somehow not related to the focus shift from melodic discourse towards rhythmic patterns pantera played a big part on

i hope for you that it's bait desu senpai

Best metal

>it's popular so it must be good
>hurr to the durr hundreds of millions of fans isn't a good indicator that something is good
Literal 12 year old circumstantiated

because they were redneck jocks making music for other redneck jocks

to be clear, this makes them incredibly based in my eyes

The arguement of popularity is so shit because you can find thousands of bands and artists that are loved throughout the world yet you probably don't like.

>Judas Priest released Painkiller - one of their most commercially successful and agressive albums - in 1990.
Painkiller came out in 90, much like Rust in Peace, it's still functionally an 80s album. The real beginning of the 90s musically was with the grunge explosion the following year, by 92 anything 80s was definitively obsolete. Following the Painkiller tour, Priest broke up and Rob Halford started Fight to try and adapt to the 90s and mimic Pantera.

^This. You think Priest were still a thing by 93-94? Hell fucking no. They got dropped from CBS like most of their peers and went into hiatus.

In 1990-91 the rock world was still dominated by 80s groups. By early 92 when Nevermind knocked Michael Jackson from the top of the Billboard, it was obvious a new era had begun and alternative groups were getting all the attention/press/arena billings. Record labels were dropping hair metal/dadrock acts en masse and signing any alternative act they could. Adrenalize was the very last hair metal album to sell anything.

I think Pantera had more fans in the military than any other band. Used to go on a Pantera fan forum in the 2000s and it had a section where people would post pics of themselves. Loads of jacked ex-US military Southern hardasses with Confederate flag and Dimebag Darrell tattoos.

Grunge>groove metal (except for Eddie Vedder's vocals and Nirvana as a whole). Best example I can think of is how Anthrax trend-hopped during the 90s, the grungy Sound of White Noise is one of their most underrated albums while the groove-influenced Stomp 442 and Volume 8 (featuring Diamond Dimebag Darrel from the Pantera series) are objectively the worst albums in Anthrax's discography.

Used to blast my Vulgar Display cassette in my Ford Ranger all the time back in the day.

>inb4 boomer

Far Beyond Driven was one of my favorite albums in high school. There are some riffs on here I still enjoy, like I'm Broken and Shedding Skin.

Attached: file.png (600x590, 727K)

>they were easily the best and most consistent metal band.
They were anything but consistent

I love the part where they actually had to put a disclaimer in the FBD liner notes how Planet Caravan was a Sabbath song so as to not give their moonshine still fanbase the wrong idea.

They didn't age well... dimes skill is exaggerated... phil still wont shut the fuck up. A lot of reasons.

>dimes skill is exaggerated
Well, I mean, his best playing is on the 80s albums and CFH was the last one where he really shines technically.

Oh for sure... but you can tell he stopped expanding on technical skill and only called upon techniques from his hard work in the 80s for solos through their successful period. Good guitarist, not god.

Also Damageplan was hot garbage.

If you want to talk production quality, yes. Vulgar Display and Southern Trendkill have great production, Driven and Steel sound absolutely awful.

Checked.