/prod/ musical production thread

/prod/ general cool edition

New to production? Check it; pastebin.com/B683ANRS
Post what you're looking for in feedback. GIVE feedback to get feedback.
Post WIP's in; instaud.io
or any other anonymous audio online storage website
DON'T link to Soundclouds or youtube channels (or be banned)

Attached: prod high quality image.jpg (1337x1337, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instaud.io/3UOP
instaud.io/3UQc
soundcloud.com/gnsis777/night-ride
youtube.com/watch?v=fq1ybrbHwdk
instaud.io/3USc
instaud.io/3USL
pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj
instaud.io/3UME
instaud.io/3UU6
instaud.io/3UVg
youtube.com/watch?v=G3n1GpVIBTE
youtube.com/watch?v=pVdZIygLH10
youtube.com/watch?v=xE8ekMTvYMA
clyp.it/1vgujyjb
instaud.io/3UY2
instaud.io/3UYa
clyp.it/y2rus5su
instaud.io/3V2R
instaud.io/3V8l
instaud.io/3Vb2
clyp.it/1czcnu5z
instaud.io/3Vcj
youtu.be/j408bfWTJUM
youtu.be/5CNzUxbpcCc
youtube.com/watch?v=RNDP_OLiTc4
instaud.io/3Viy
clyp.it/2lta1umv
soundcloud.com/gnsis777/night-ride-extended
instaud.io/3VjG
clyp.it/xojeecbr
instaud.io/3Vl2
instaud.io/3Vlj
instaud.io/3VmI
instaud.io/3Vn5
instaud.io/3Vci
clyp.it/cpiceq2f
instaud.io/3Vqo
soundcloud.com/alon-dar/unfinished-for-chan
soundcloud.com/wagemage/it-is-like-that
clyp.it/rbcqy3jm
boards.4channel.org/mu/thread/88813816laptop.
instaud.io/3VrK
clyp.it/do1zmnrh
clyp.it/l3j4mv3n
instaud.io/3Vtu
youtu.be/zNgcYGgtf8M
mediafire.com/file/qfkudxan32t49j1/Wav_Files.7z/file
instaud.io/3Vvq
youtube.com/watch?v=rbPxNCidwoM)
instaud.io/3Vzy
youtube.com/watch?v=FbemVRN03OI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this loops better than expected doesn't it, considering the way it looks on the grid

Attached: Capture2.png (1218x653, 97K)

oops
instaud.io/3UOP

wtf is nobody making music this sunday las

yes

instaud.io/3UQc

changed my track a bit based on feedback

Attached: 1562509302590.png (567x707, 727K)

soundcloud.com/gnsis777/night-ride

Attached: nascarsucks_toar.jpg (800x450, 63K)

How do I make timestretch sounds?

>he makes music with a DAW
youtube.com/watch?v=fq1ybrbHwdk

all my inspiration is DEAD
i cant love music anymore

instaud.io/3USc

thats not music

pretty sure the pastebin link is broken

tfw channel 2 of your 4 channel behringer interface is dead

instaud.io/3USL

A sorta messy morning kind of thing. Too messy?

Attached: download.jpg (238x211, 17K)

Spend $50 and upgrade bruh

pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

Old school ones?
Retrigger your sample every step but slowly advance the start point.

what?

How do I make a song? I know how to make chords and stuff but I sit in front of a keyboard and have no idea what to do next. I can make non-cohesive pieces of sound that sound good but I can't seem to bring anything together.

i liek the flanger
the bass doesn't hit hard enough
i think vox hits when you activate the glitch element would sound good
the glitch work right before you introduce the breaks at 1:08 slams pretty hard
from 1:50 to 3:00 there should be more elements, however im not sure what you should add specifically in that section. maybe some vocals?

i gave some epic feedback here i made the transitions better in my track and feedback would be neat instaud.io/3UME

Attached: 1562388034952.jpg (372x500, 35K)

instaud.io/3UU6
Just made this today after a 2 year or so break. Tell me what i can improve, especially the mixing and maybe the arrangement. I have no clue about music theory or how to arrange beats, i'm mostly just playing around with my Push. My goal is to make beats that people rap over, but i guess with weird melodies like that that's not happening.

Arrangement is a bitch and varies wildly by genre. Just listen to shit you want to sound like and make a little chart of the sections of the pieces then try to imitate that.

thanks for the lines brotha

Sounds like cool spooky vidya music, but whatever the thing is that goes "sewsewsewsew" needs to go away.

instaud.io/3UVg

Ar there any VSTs that can make other DAWs work like Live's session view?

theres one called playtime but reaper only

Thanks, I'm glad it's on reaper

again asking for advice on how I can get a better mix, with the music beneath the drums and not overtaking the beat

>music beneath the drums
bad

extreme shit question with no context or example of your work given- the real answer is "GIT GUD @ MIXING" but just make a bunch of cuts where the drums are on the music, turn down volumes and use sends to spacial effects to throw it into the background

>bad
I'm making hip-hop/trap, I won't the focus to be on the drums. And I was trying to find a good example. Kind of like these:

youtube.com/watch?v=G3n1GpVIBTE
youtube.com/watch?v=pVdZIygLH10
youtube.com/watch?v=xE8ekMTvYMA

clyp.it/1vgujyjb

ayy

>I'm making hip-hop/trap
yeah i figured

it's still what i just said. also in the arrangement, play your synths higher up, reverb. volume. easy

The kick drum sounds like shit

sounds ok to me

pretty cool stuff but I agree with the other user, kick sounds weird

perfect kick for a meme beat

thats not helpful at all I don't want to change how the song sounds

>I don't want to change how the song sounds
>retardedwojak.imagefiletype

stop being so stereoypically useless and post your fucking song so somebody can tell you how to fix it

help, what is wrong with it?

testing songwrigin
instaud.io/3UY2

trying to use ReaVocode but it doesnt sound proper, anyone knows why that is?
instaud.io/3UYa

MY K240MKII DOESNT HAVE SUBS, I HATE THIS HEADPHONE

clyp.it/y2rus5su

yeah, the 240 is nice for mid-range and okay near the top, but not particularly suited to low-end monitoring.

iirc part of the problem is a prominent mid-bass bump around 100-150hz region that ends up masking sub frequencies. you could stick an eq on the master and dial some of that range back by a db or two and see if it helps, but it's not ideal.

god damnit man

first of all your 808 is covering up all the synths and the lead and pad are right on top of eachother.

smother the pad in reverb.... low pass or lower an octave and then cut lows because it'll get into the 808 even more... and resample it for fucks sake so it actually sounds like it cutos off

turn lead down send to delay, light low pass or shelf

shut the fuck up sammy

thank you, I'll try to fix it later tonight.

i generally mix with the 240 and check on my logitech 2.1 to check the lows

bump

/prod/ is kill

Attached: augustus pontifex maximus.jpg (481x640, 84K)

I'm taking a three month break to read the FLStudio manual. Please be here when I come back. I'll miss you!

>3 months to read the manual
Wow and here I was thinking the whole "FL users are low IQ mongoloids" thing was just a meme.

yeah it's unusually slow today....
I got a song start to finish today though!!! :^)
(...okay 95% maybe, gotta double check tomorrow)

I'm all for the manual reading but imo it makes more sense to read as questions arise (outside of useful shortcuts which you just have to memorize)

daw wars fags killed it

Tfw get verbally abused for suggesting anons (at least) pay for their DAWs.

Attached: 75D6C9A4-375E-4259-9301-CEA8C5C8E647.jpg (529x529, 77K)

Attached: 8138904-6558445-image-m-51_1546629270725.jpg (634x397, 45K)

CLA is a scam artist who hires out other mix engineers.

why pay for it if you're not selling your music
why pay for it when free and open source alternatives exist

how come my synth patches sound like shit and presets sound nice

>Become a better producer
>Can't be bothered to finish and arrange any of my songs

Attached: 1562187100601.jpg (900x267, 77K)

made this for my friend's CS frag video so he'd have some OC music for it and so I could shill my "music"

instaud.io/3V2R
Let me know what you think. I took the other anons' feedback and fixed the snare so it sounds less terrible, looking for more feedback if anyone's willing to take a listen.

Attached: 1483474997151.jpg (791x638, 94K)

Because most presets are drowned in effects to make a good impression making them unuseable in a mix

didn't you read about this before buying you au-cuck

bump

>spend days working on a track
>trying to get the dynamics right
>think I got it pretty nice and clear
>put on a reference track
>mfw my track is muddy as shit compared to it
Goddamn how do they do it. All I want is nice punchy dynamics.

high end audio interfaces can make quite a difference in terms of dynamics

Get a decent set of mastering tools
I can recommend Ozone 8

GODDAMNIT FUCKING SHIT CODED VSTS
Reaper suddenly crashed and reset all the settings of all my plugin instances to zero. I had the dynamics PERFECT after tweaking them for 2 days straight and now I have to start from fucking scratch.
I have not felt this much rage in years.

more like shit coded reaper.

So you kept the project open for two whole days of work and didn't save once?
Why?

Not sure about Reaper but on Ableton project files only tke a few KBs of space (some times a few MBs if the project is very big) so I just save a new version every few minutes (or every time I do something significant) so I can always go back in case something goes wrong, and they all end up taking as much space as a short WAV sample anyway.
If Reaper project files are likght too, you should start doing that too.

No I save all the fucking time.
Reaper crashed but after a while it got responsive again, so I quickly saved and THEN found out all the 32bit plugins (of which mostly FerricTDS) got reset. So I have to redo all the dynamics at least. And they were perfect.

If you saved into a new version instead of overwriting the old one you wouldn't have this problem.

Yes I will enable automatic backup right the fuck now.

>his projected folder doesn't look like
>mix_a_v001
>mix_a_v002
>...
>mix_b_v231_REAL_FINAL_MIX
>...
>mix_c_v863_ACTUAL_REAL_FINAL_MIX

Recreated this to see how they sampled it. Nothing I've found is as instantly catchy as this loop, but listening to this keeps me looking

instaud.io/3V8l

Choppy. Not good at all.

OH BOY another exciting day of writing music!
I am so sleepy

hey that's what i do! :^)

also keep files in a few different backups at least

i need to start getting into the habit of keeping a changelog to go with versioning. it always sucks when you decided to remove an element that you want back in 2 weeks later, but don't know which of the 12 project files had the last version you worked on.

some sort of automatic changelog generation included in these daws would be nice.

Not him but I just name my projects like:
>Song Name 001 First melody
>Song Name 002 Added chords
>Song Name 035 Replaced bass sound
>Song Name 036 [from 034] Restored old bass sound with edit
Simple and easy. No need to rely on automated systems that can fuck up, and you can describe it in your words so it makes sense to you.
The downside is that it can break your concentration if you're focussed on something, so I don't always put a comment if I don't want to get distracted, and some times I just forgot to save altogether, but even without implementing it perfectly it's still extremely useful.

If i get rid of something instead of not just printing shit I add something in parenthesis at the end like
>mix a_3 (got rid of xy)
>mix a_4 (shortened structure, new bass)

etc. however, I generally don't end up getting to version 3 or 4 generally because I don't actually start saving a new one until the song is 90%~ done , so i'm usually just cutting stuff out on the second, then resampling and fucking with printed audio more heavily in the 3rd.

simple and easy man

yeah, i'll suffix project names sometimes, but, and this is just a pet peeve, i'm not fan of looking at cluttered file names in an explorer.

separate changelog allows for easier searchability as well, but you are right about the part where doing these things takes you out of the flow of things.

automated changelogs, i.e. basically just a difference b/w all (or selectable) parameters b/w current and previously saved file would probably be overkill but i'd still probably use it just in case.

this is mostly just nit-picky workflow and QoL improvements though. what i really want is DAW built from the ground up with a nodal workflow in the same way as something like sidefx's houdini. i haven't used a single daw that allows for cross track and cross device modulations and interactions in a non-painful way. i know bitwig's trying some nodal stuff with their new release, but last i checked it was mostly limited to within the confines of a single track.

You could have a separate .txt file in the project folder where you write any description you want about each version.
Perhaps you could make a template with all the numbers from 0 to 999 or something so you just need to add the comment when you save.
A basic notepad is super light on resources too, so keeping it open alongside the DAW wouldn't be a problem.

Hello /prod/, I have a lot of questions but I'll try to make it quick:

I produce on FL Studio 10 (sucks, I know), but I need to prepare a live performance. I play techno basically so it would basically just be triggering patterns. I borrowed an Ableton Push from a friend. What should I do:
>try to configure it to work properly in FL Studio 10 live mode (although it sucks), because I've used FL all my life?
>try to port everything into Ableton Live? How I would go about doing that?

Thanks for any help

Attached: 18423860_695737533943527_6998269344186856356_n.jpg (486x489, 48K)

I'd suggest printing everything to audio and play the stems using Ableton.
There are many ways you could add some "live" things to your set, so look up how artists set their live shows up for ideas.

VSTfag problems lol

instaud.io/3Vb2
>acid
Opinions on the mastering / sound levels on this?
Been producing for about 6 months but my monitors are shit so I really struggling to fine tune. I use sennheiser hd 598's and some shit arse logitech speakers, should upgrading be a priority?
I'm a massive ableton kiddie ty in advance

in what way?

Currently importing stems into Ableton Live 10, haven't used it in my life but will try to do something.

why not upgrade you're are FL

This is way too much, you're spending more time saving your projects than working on them lmao. And what's the point? 4-5 different files for one project should be enough

Usually with vsts that dont save presets i just create the sound that i want and export it as an mp3 and work with the audio as a sample

Alright pack it up boys the retard is ITT.

never had this issue on fl

Also Try this before you close and re open cause you might open your project to disappoint yourself

no idea what that dude's on about, but all i can think of is lower noise floors on a-d converters maybe. more likely he's just talking out of his ass.

you'r mom's the retard, boy

ignore and report

>more likely he's just talking out of his ass
i bet on that as well

also higher headroom means more loudness range
I cannot record anything even remotely quiet because my 2i2 has such a high fucking noise floor... so i'm inclined to say a half decent interface is a worthwhile investment regardless

>report
fuck it's true what they say about the summer and reddit

For me, the higher end is super muted.
Sounds like I'm hearing the whole thing through a wall because the venue sold out.
I can deffo see the appeal if I was indoors by some big ass subs, but I think if you sound test it from a phone speaker or some shitty headphones it'll sound almost empty without all that boom.

bro it's a general where people actually want to talk on a blue board; there's a place to be a dickhead and an asshole and it's acceptable- this isn't it, you're just being obnoxious

>2i2 has such a high fucking noise floor.
iirc 2i2 pres start getting noisy past 50-60%

if you can afford to keep your pre's gain down at recording and still get a decent signal, it can be beneficial to just push it up in software instead.

Anybody know how to hit that resonance frequency in your ear that makes you like physically feel the sound, I know drake does it, and I think I managed to do it on this song, but I want it to feel weightier if that makes sense. Basically what I do is sing really loudly, low pass and boost highs, then I boost this one frequency right at the lowest part that isn't low passed. I think what this does is create an overlap with the mids on the beat and on vocals, so when it clips it adds this buzz to the sound. Is that what's happening? Can anyone explain it better?

clyp.it/1czcnu5z

Attached: anime 3.gif (704x861, 1.02M)

High pass sorry

Attached: like this.png (643x363, 200K)

i didn't start calling people retards, 'bro'. true there's a place to do that

But this IS such a place user...

>physically feel the sound
>high pass
If you want to jiggle some tiddies you gotta boost the subs friendo, like 20hz and less.

i..i-...is this a vocal eq?

I mean with vocals though, there's like this mid range frequency they boost on drakes vocals that give them fullness

This is how I did the EQ for the song I just posted, is that not how I'm supposed to do it?

always boost with clean gain itb mang

>50-60%
yeah i pretty much literally keep the gain at 0 and it will still clip if i'm not paying attention lol

quiet acoustic guitars are a bitch to do
my real issue is really just that i like to do foley and be ExPeRiMenTaL, but recording quiet sources are an absolute no go because of the noise.

>expected demarcus, got something comparable
god, why. turn your shit the fuck down what the fuck

everything you just said about eq is completely fucked, do not clip purposefully rn, you are going to fuck it up worse

when you highpass it will already create a slight resonance

if you didn't know already.... or, idk anything about drakes producers or mix process but somebody who mixed his shit talked about a "SEcREt wEAPonn" which people deduced was a protools preset that whatevered, but part of it would slightly reduce both the high and low end of the instrumental

basically what i'm getting at is to let the vocal be huge and don't let the instrumental overtake it.

I didn't either, you're responding to two separate anons.
your original post made you seem like an user who shows up just to flame and be an asshole

lol, it's not.
maybe it looks like that from the influx of shitposts and declining moderation over the last couple years but Yea Forums is *supposed* to be a slightly more "serious" board. Non-degenerate-crossposters know

Can you go again? I think I get what you're going for and it doesn't sound too bad (the vocal itself... pitch correct it or something lmao) but I think you could do it with regular saturation and parallel processing (maybe)

You should consider torrenting superior drummer, there's a link on tpb, I think you'd like it a lot.

i mean the 10db boost at 10k probably explains why i immediately turned your track off when i hit play.

i don't know what drake vocal you're talking about, but your hipass is completely inappropriate for any sort of vocal unless you want it sound like it came out of a broken radio from the 40s.

Alright I'll get fabfilter saturn then

Did you even hear the vocals? I just hi pass until it doesn't overlap with the bass anymore, the boost is because it gets super quiet when I do that.

I have addictive drums, but my computer is too weak and it takes like 70-90% CPU... maybe when I buy a new one I'll try that out, thanks for the tip

i heard it for a couple of secondsbut it hurts my ears

: - (

please turn your music down and don't cut all the body out of your vocals.

no /prod/ said its subs response was just natural, without a boost unlike other phones

I here to drop my shit,

dhmKz8fPAb0

instaud.io/3Vcj

dripcore

Attached: moen-6610-main-chrome-lg copy 6.jpg (1500x1200, 44K)

cultus musica placet?

Attached: blood cultist.png (124x191, 34K)

Lads don't you like the new revised OP picture of the rubber bands?

i'd have liked it more if you didn't copy and paste an old sticky with an old pastebin link

I honestly didn't notice.

Attached: 1560423979892.jpg (640x736, 45K)

blessed

Track is pretty dope too, bit too many farts for my taste but they kind of grew on me after a couple listens.

Attached: 1366579233519.jpg (275x235, 23K)

a Deo lux nostra

where is everybody? :(

dead most likely

Attached: 28w44y.jpg (323x412, 40K)

Producing, our hardware setups are so fun

I know I am.

Attached: 1503239666897.gif (240x180, 1.34M)

I wonder what the suicide rate of /prod/ posters is compared to other generals....

Demarcus is producing in heaven now. Even with all this time on his hands I doubt he'll go anywhere still.

FUCK BUMP I AM SO LONELY

Anyone have experience using the renoise redux vst for Ableton? I wanted to torrent it and try it out before I buy but I couldn't find one. If I already have renoise is there even a point in having it??

they have a demo I am not sure of the limitation though

>Song sounds better without the lead
FUCK ME UP

why wouldn't you just rewire?

Let the music be your friend.

It's been my only friend for years and i'm sick of you fucking faggots!!!

nah man I need a thread to glance at while i give my ears a break every now and then lol

Just tell the shitposter you love and miss him and he'll bless us with another pretend autistic argument.

lol nah

even when i inevitably sudoku and make my last post telling /prod/ goodbye i'm not going to forgive the shitposter.

Don't tempt me.
What do you guys start with when making a track? Melody? Percussion?

It's ok, I hate myself too.

I just got some Arca Amnesia Scanner Tier add Drum track going and i have nobody to tell about it, i'm kind of excited :p

go make some music to distract yourself from it lel

>go make some music to distract yourself from it lel
I already have 17 other active threads I'm heavily involved in, thanks.

go do something worthwhile!

This is the most worthwile thing I can do with my life.

So I'm still looking for cool loops, but I'm not finding anything good. I'm beginning to think every good loop has already been found and now I can see why Justice moved toward an arena rock/gospel sound. Only thing is, without samples I'm out of ideas. I can't think of what kind of album I would want to make. All the good ideas have been taken. Justice is my favorite sound no matter what they do because they bring a distorted heavy metal influence to their electronic music, but I don't want to sound exactly like them. If I wasn't looking to make a few loop songs like Newjack or Stress or Phantom, I would do the arena rock thing too. I'm kind of lost right now.

I've got to have a gimmick

id suicide if i had to use fl studio

where the fuck is the daily meme guy, need his input.

>I'm beginning to think every good loop has already been found
yes every loop from every song ever made has been found..
>Justice moved toward an arena rock/gospel sound.
and now they are trash
>Only thing is, without samples I'm out of ideas. I can't think of what kind of album I would want to make
then don't rely on samples? and try something different?

nigga u just making excuses, just make some shit and see where it goes, fuck sake

How the fuck do I make acid music like monolith or aphex twin's Syro. All my melodies and harmonies sound like disney music fuck me

get fucked up and roll your face on a keyboard

Then use the ''free & open alternative'' you backwards fuckass.

@88845362
why are you being needlessly hostile

How do I make stabs like these??

youtu.be/j408bfWTJUM
youtu.be/5CNzUxbpcCc

literally every sentence here is cringe man.. what the fuck, get it together

okay i finished up two songs today and kind of a third and i think it's like top 10 songs i've ever made but the mix is absolutely fucked because this one sound is overpowering and i can't find a balance because compression ruins this like SUCKING effect on the bass ughhh it's really making me >:( guys

dude i felt so cheated when i realized how many releases they've had that i never heard about, like Yea Forums and fantano are supposed to let me know when this shit happens fuckkkkkk

first one is just heavyyyyy detune. some wavetable shit helps me get closer to the right timbre of course

damn that second video is like nostalgia duddeeee
think about what makes a sound seem like it's talking.... vibrato rate can vary widely... i usually have it rise in depth with an envelope or whatever. also automate detune sometimes, or sometimes no unison at all, it depends. it's not a *rule* but i find modulation effects ruin those sounds usually by making it like... not vocal... it can still be cool though.

Guys, the pastebin link is not working. What do?

op was fag, somebody posted it above:

pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

youtube.com/watch?v=RNDP_OLiTc4

how do I make something like this

I made a mellow rock piece. lemme know what you think of it.
instaud.io/3Viy

Attached: maine4.jpg (2048x1152, 534K)

>Maschine 3.0 software will have an extended arrangement mode

Full fledged DAW from Native Instruments confirmed, boys

Attached: 65168413646.jpg (655x412, 31K)

clyp.it/2lta1umv

any feedback

Sorry for the stupid question but I have no idea what I'm doing.
I was messing with a sample in FL Studio and somehow its silhouette went into the background of the piano roll. It doesn't make a sound, but it's present in every piano roll of every new project I start. I don't know how I placed it there, or how to delete it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attached: whats goin on.jpg (208x507, 20K)

i've done that before doesn't do anything to the thing your making so i think its fine

Alt + N

Thanks! That solved it.

You are right it didn't seem to affect anything but it was annoying to think I messed it up.

soundcloud.com/gnsis777/night-ride-extended

Messed around with gates. Going to change the arrangement and find a better vocal loop tomorrow, but use the synth and gate setup. I threw the parts together haphazardly so it sounds pretty garbage, but I do like my gate/synth sound.

instaud.io/3VjG

>instaud.io/3VjG
i appreciate that its just to test gating and shit, but that style of music just makes my ears bleed desu

does anyone read the first post,
>DON'T link to Soundclouds or youtube channels (or be banned)

clyp.it/xojeecbr

any feedback

most people do, this isn't even the first time he's posted itt. just ignore it. dude probably drops his stuff n leaves.

you have to give feedback to get feedback.

goodnight_______ bump

My first MPC beat
It's very rough around the edges, any opinions?
instaud.io/3Vl2

too much compression my man
very 2011

Reupload with slightly better master because the first one sounds like complete ass
instaud.io/3Vlj

Not bad user, good sample selection and vocal chops. It gets a bit repetitive but for a first beat it's nice.

it's pretty good only a few things
(im listening through macbook pro speakers so im judging through that)

1 as the other user said it gets a bit repetitive at times
2 it could do with some more texture so like a nice pad with good movement something boards of canada ish, with limited vocal chops so it doesn't sound so busy.
3 more low end, i know im listening through my macbook but it felt non existent

tone down the compression/limiting a bit its like a brick-wall, you can even see it in the waveform, too in your face

Thanks man, yeah, the song structure kinda sucks, I know. Gonna keep that in mind for next time
>it could do with some more texture so like a nice pad with good movement something boards of canada ish
There are some sampled strings in the background but they're probably to quiet to be heard through laptop speakers.
I don't want to add full-blown synth pads because I'm trying to keep it organic.
>with limited vocal chops so it doesn't sound so busy.
Absolutely agree, they get annoying but I haven't figured out how to mute tracks live on the MPC yet. Would be great of someone here knew
>more low end, i know im listening through my macbook but it felt non existent
Yeah, he low-end it also shit, I can't find songs with good bass samples that aren't covered by something else
Might try pitch-shifting some vocals

Thanks for the feedback guys!

lads...

...i dont think im gonna make it

instaud.io/3VmI

what can i add to complete it

Noob here.
If I get a sample and that piece of music is in a particular scale, by changing its pitch through editing software I'm actually changing its scale, right?
For example if that sample is in Emin and I increase its frequency one semitone (5.946% increase, according to Audicity) I converted it into Fmin, and it's still in tune. Does it work like that?

yes, mostly

I changed the stucture a bit to make it less repetitive and added a few things
Is the "bass" that comes in at 0:38 too weird?
instaud.io/3Vn5

Yep that's how it works. Pitch changes through timestretching/pitchshifing are absolute.

This could be a cool track if it weren't for the vocals.
Add a stereo spreader on the master to make it wider

Yes, assuming your sample is using all/most notes in the scale of Emin, pitching it up by 1st will just shift every frequency in the file by that amount, so it will end up having all/most of the notes in the Fmin scale.
But if it only has some of the notes (perhaps because the song is in Emin but you're only sampling a part of it that uses fewer notes), it could be in any scale that contains those notes.

Don't think of it as "changing scale", but as "shifting the notes".
Imagine it like you have all the notes in the sample laid down in the piano roll, you selected them and shifted them all up by 1st.
The scale it's in is just a result of the notes you have, but it's not a property that's set in stone for the sample.

Like the other user said, everything sounds good to me besides the vocals in that they sound pretty lofi (sounds almost like a laptop mic or iPhone or something). Sounds like a field/tape recording and contrasts the otherwise clean and tight production. Try cutting out more room sound, using a nicer reverb, or compressing more. Also, the occasional panned pad/lead (specifically w/ modulation) can work wonders for making a song like this extra fun

Thanks a lot.

much better, although does it have to be 3 minutes? I feel like the song doesn't need to be that long, unless there were more interesting sections to make it worthwhile..

depends on the sample, but yeah its mostly true, if you get a sample that one part sounds out of key you can just cut that bit out and change its note seperately to solve any issues

vocals sound like ass desu. id much rather listen to the song without them, (or mix them a lot better cause they sit on top too much)

>vocals sound like ass

fug... they were recorded with this mic, but either the input gain was set wrong or the vocalist didn't speak too well into it or not loudly enough and the vocals ended up noisy...

OR I can lo-fi up the rest of the track to make them sound more cohesive

anyway another element is needed for sure

Attached: C3m-large.jpg (407x750, 40K)

sorry i meant they sound like ass more in the context of the song not the recording itself, because i unironically enjoy shit vocals (mixed well)

aight I get it. I think I have some ideas on how to make it more cohesive

Hmm, might add some things later to make it more interesting
I think making it shorter wouldn't work because of the two sections, each individual one would be too short

I'm going to put this one on the back burner for now and start working on another song

A friend of mine asked me to do a hip hop instrumental based on a drum bit he gave me and I did this.
I really don't listen to rap...
instaud.io/3Vci

Yeah, I don't think the microphone is the problem, I'd say it's the room reverb bleeding in.
Try putting your mic stand in front of an open closet filled with clothing, that might help. And don't record in the direction of a window.

Apart from obviously not being anything Hiphop related, it's too linear.
Try adding a section or two

Yeah, I know it's not hip hop, I don't listen to that shit...
I should cut it into pieces and add some more in between or do several guitar layers that go over what I've done.

>Why yes, I produce all my opuses in Propellerhead Reason software, what gave it?

Attached: gig.jpg (884x1200, 156K)

>opuses

Attached: caf211b10e8890e8104d9c451ebcfe39a671f3e7f75154d2b6b28a682735cd0c.jpg (1673x2160, 328K)

>I don't listen to that shit..
why are you making it if you're calling it shit? tell your friend you don't listen to that stuff instead of posting random shit

nigga just put an actual hip hop drum beat under it and see what it sounds like first lol

Because it's fun, that's why. They wre drunk af and thought they should make a hip hop song, so I tried to do something...
It cripped the shit out of them when they heard it.
Going to do this as well, I'm courious to see what it might be like.

opi?

>tries to make a hip hop beat
>hmm I wonder what would happen if I put hip hops drums under a hip hop beat

Well post a link after

clyp.it/cpiceq2f

I don't really like the drums they just sound disjointed and random, the melody could be ok if more was done with it but right now it doesn't sound that good. also doesn't sound like hip hop either.

>Going to do this as well, I'm courious to see what it might be like.
instaud.io/3Vqo

hey guys. im pretty fucking new to production. only been serious about learning it for about 2 weeks.

anyways, i made a song last night and idk what are the next steps with production. i know i need to pan instruments, and im probably gonna double track the heavy distortion guitar. gonna do that in a couple hours. what else do i need to do? cus like idk the process yet desu.

heres the track, going for like an emo rock/ emo trap type vibe. not like lil peep, but along those lines. thanks for any input in advance

soundcloud.com/alon-dar/unfinished-for-chan

the wider version version is a bit too wide, bring it back in a bit more, it was making my ears go all weird, almost like a phasing sensation.

i mean its better with the hip hop drums but you need to sort the timings out because for most of the track the rest of the track isnt in time with the drums

>clyp.it/cpiceq2f
its fine for what it is, just a trap beat. im biased because trap beats bore the fuck out of me now, so id like to hear you try something different but oh well.

mix could be better, you've made it quite loud but a lot of the elements don't "fit" if you get my meaning?

google audacity paulstretch

pretty repetitive.

hate the kick pattern its just too much.

mix is okay especially for someone new.

lose the drum samples they're too metal for hip-hop, literally just download a generic trap kit and use those, especially if you're going along the lines of lil peep.

overall though not terrible especially if you've only been learning for 2 weeks, if I were you and you seriously want to learn all the techniques is just to just experiment, even if its an incoherent mess

yeah i dont have any drum packs yet lol. literally just using the basic tools and packs that came with FL Studio producer edition.

thanks for the advice though.
other than choosing different drum kit any other next steps for this track?

cecilia 5. best free software i ever downloaded, and legit nobody knows about it. way better than pauls stretch because it has loads more options.

it's on purpose ;p you should rap on it

minimoog

Attached: tumblr_pqhqozEUJa1um51nvo1_1556152164_cover.jpg (500x500, 106K)

im a complete pleb when it comes to synths
what the fuck is the difference between them?

been using sampler and analog/operator for years now and never dived into other synths
what the fuck is the objective difference between something like TR-808 and TR-606?
just thinking about this kinda makes my head hurt

way more variation, especially with the guitar, I personally don't really like the pattern but if you do then so be it.
needs just way more added in general, like pads and bass. don't worry about mixing techniques and arrangement techniques just get a general bed of loads of different ideas you can use later on.

I bought a brand new microphone but it doesn't pick up sound. It only makes sound when I move the wires which is nothing but noise. Is it broken?

808 and 606 sound completely different, although the 808 had more to play with (i prefer the 606)

the differences between synths can really boil down to a few different things

analog vs digital vs hybrid
the type of synthesis e.g wavetable/fm/subtractive/vector etc

once you get away from those differences it really just comes down to the amount of oscillators effects etc the synth has built in, and its ease of use

after that i guess its literally just the components and hardware used as people like different things.

well what mic is it?
does it require phantom power?
what are you plugged into? an interface?

I can never tell if my vox levels are good. I play through headphones and it sounds okay (muddy on bass/drums end) but the vox sound great. I play it on any external speaker, and the vibrato is warbly and all over the place, almost sounds like I'm crying. Is there some kind of compression or something that can reduce this?

Also, should I cut the low freqs on the guitars to allow the drums to cut through a bit more? Or do you think its fine aka it sounds 'vintage'?

soundcloud.com/wagemage/it-is-like-that

Get a better mic. Also, the sound is bouncing off of walls and flat surfaces, clutter it up or just buy a simple shield that mounts to mic stand. Or make one.

This is why i never agree to collab with anyone... they might send me something like that. Sorry not trying to insult you or your friend, its more my own limitation.

I would take the slicer to it and try to resample individual sounds and put them over my own beat, and if he complains tell him not to give you garbage if he doesn't want it recycled. Hip hop instrumentals are usually pretty cut and dry, its the samples that make the difference. To start, look up how to make hip hop drum rolls on YT, thats a big (and best) part of the sound imo.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-09 13-58-33.png (1623x625, 1.28M)

>soundcloud.com/wagemage/it-is-like-that
reupload to clyp instead of soundcloud.

i listened anyway
vocals don't sit in the mix at all, not to mention the obvious parts where you sing out of key.
guitars too washed out
drums basically non existent in the mix.

wew lad you got some srs mixing to do, grab the stems and start again, don't just EQ for the sake of it, start with the vocals/drums and make sure everything else fits around those.

clyp.it/rbcqy3jm

Attached: 1549486335913.jpg (692x738, 97K)

I literally haven't even mixed it at all aside from slapping compression on master and limiting individual channels.

I have a general understanding of mixing, but not when it comes to vocals which is why I haven't really done much with it.

just to add, I've done zero EQ to anything. I do however, know how to find problem freqs and get it sounding OKAY and less muddy but again, with vocals I've never really known where to put them or how to process them (mine specifically, which are nasally, kinda like tom pettyish)

oh, lol.
what is your recording set up?

im listening to it on laptop speakers and it just sounds like you've lowpassed all of the guitars and drums.

>Steinberg UR22mkII
>Daking Mic-Pre One
>Mojave MA-300 tube condenser microphone
all into FL studio through steinberg ASIO driver

PC is an intel I-9 so its got beef

the clyp version sounds 1000x better than the soundcloud one, i guess soundcloud just sounds like shit in general

nah, I wouldnt do that but hearing it on my headphones (AKG k553 mkII) sounds great... like perfect. Hearing it on anything cheap sounds like shit, like you said... like the lows are super muddy. I know how to get rid of this, as I said. Its simple EQ. What I don't know is how to EQ the vox... where to put them in the mix

drums need more presence
vocals need less presence

getting the volumes right is the best first step.

Just noticed this too... so I guess this means if it sounds good on one thing, its going to sound like shit on another. Fuck I hate this lmao

use bandcamp
you should be making entire albums anyway

Okay I guess this kind of my question... how do I know what a good volume for vox is? Like, the peaks are coming in at right around the same volume as everything else. Is it like a per song basis, experiment on different speakers kind of thing?

>Okay I guess this kind of my question... how do I know what a good volume for vox is?
not that user but mixing vocals is pretty challenging. There really aren't any rules of thumb except listening to how they sit in the mix. Keep your hands of that solo button at all cost.
>Like, the peaks are coming in at right around the same volume as everything else.
Reading this made me cringe hard. Mixing isn't about making everything the same volume, it's about achieving a pleasant overall sound and keeping important elements in the foreground.
The drums need to be emphasized for example because they carry most of the rhythmical information. The bass is almost as impoartant because it carries some rhythmical information and, more importantly, provides the harmonic foundation for the entire song.
Your guitars are double-tracked so you should put them into the mix lower (not too low, find that sweet spot) because if something is spread out to both sides of the stereo field, it tends to stand out automatically.
The vocals are you songs main attraction, maybe try mixing them just a little lower than your drums (again, this is trail-and-error and is different from song to song)

My rule of thumb for mixing rock music is: Drums >= Bass > Vocals > Guitars

Of course that's just a starting point, might work for you too.

It's a condenser microphone and it says that it only requires power when I'm using it for a boards.4channel.org/mu/thread/88813816laptop. I'm using a modern desktop so it should work.

Attached: screenshot-www.ebay.co.uk-2019.07.09-20-24-42.png (761x244, 16K)

No they shouldn't unless she/he wants to.

>wants to
You shouldn't do anything because you want to.
You should do things because they're good for you (or your goals).
For example, what I want to do is solo albums for the rest of my life, but in electronic music that's a bad move unless you're already a well established act, so I have to make singles to get my name out there, and possibly do collaborations too.
I don't want to do these things but they're good for my goals so I'm gonna do them.

Super mellow, I like the slammed piano thing.

Definitely false and a bad attitude, I give feedback even on days I don't put anything up. I never mention what feedback I've given when I post a track, I prefer to maintain as much anonymity as possible.

You have a good handle on the whole trap thing, if you don't work with vocalists already you should try to get gud at vocal chops like all the "pop trap" guys, I think that could really help add extra depth and interest to your tracks.

opussies

Is it one of those Chinese condenser mics (usually BM-xxx model name) with an XLR to 3.5mm cable? I've seen the sellers constantly mention that these will work with desktop PCs without any other power supply and they're usually wrong - these need 48v phantom power and you won't get that from a standard PC audio input socket.

Most people (if not all) have to use a small adaptor that uses USB to power the thing

Attached: BM-800.jpg (1200x672, 139K)

is it open source

Is it a USB mic?

that's cool and all if you're on reddit, but you're not. so give feedback to get feedback.

just give us the exact name and model of the mic, its so much easier, then we can actually give you some help.

do my glitches sound good instaud.io/3VrK

Attached: 1556897651603.jpg (1125x1358, 251K)

>instaud.io/3VrK
tryna be iglooghost?

this is my first time hearing of iglooghost

Attached: 1558758600577.jpg (750x538, 53K)

Just a slog to listen to man, its like 3 different ideas jammed together with a glitchy background with no sort of theme or purpose

surprised desu

so, it sounds better without the glitch?
here it is for comparison instaud.io/3UME

Attached: 1562372752691.png (944x655, 686K)

I'm gonna give feedback without getting any and there's nothing you can do about it.

>instaud.io/3VrK
yeah its 1000x better without the glitchy slow downs and shit.

im not gonna suck your pp then

That's OK, I practise semen retention to boost my creativity anyway.

yeah i bet you do you little minx

clyp.it/do1zmnrh

i boost my creativity by injecting myself with estrogen

what kind of loops do you want?

i'm writing trap and metal influenced idm now guise

I think i figured it out 8^)

Thank you anons for the feedback. I tweaked it a bit, not sure if vox are still too high, but I brought up the drums + bass, cut high freqs on bass, cut low freqs on guitars and brought vox/guitars down a little.

I did all I really know how to do with the vox. I re-recorded the first half, pitch corrected the second and brought limiter ceiling down, added a bit of gain to bring up the lower volume parts. I wonder if it sounds too compressed though.

clyp.it/l3j4mv3n

so once you're well established you can start doing solo albums?

Funky ones with interesting textures like this I think. I'm slowly moving away from this style though, because I don't want to completely copy Cross. It's such a good album though. Music has kind of moved on from that sound though, but I wonder how much of it is because that album was and is difficult to make.

I'm kind of thinking about doing an arena/glam rock thing dressed as ayy lmaos for my gimmick. Or demons and make dark stuff in the style of Genesis. I don't know. If I could come up with an idea with another musician who knows what I'm trying to do I would be happy.

instaud.io/3Vtu

Furthermore, Justice has started sampling more modern music for their albums. They sampled Kendrick Lamar in Alakazam. I think it's because they've listened to so much funk/disco/soul that there aren't anymore good vocal loops like Newjack.

It almost makes me want to just write a completely digital album similar to AVD or Woman and hire anonymous vocalists. But again, I wonder how much of it is because Cross was such a labor-intensive album.

No
It's NW-700 Condenser Microphone by Neewer

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1500x1500, 184K)

If I was honest, out of all the albums I've listened to the past few days, Billy Ocean is always at the top. I'd like to make music like this, at least in some songs

youtu.be/zNgcYGgtf8M

Sounds much better, the drums are still too low in the mix. The bass on more noticeable now, which makes the song sound much more solid.
Also, pan both guitars a little more into the center, the panning is so extreme rn that they sound almost completely disconnected

You need phantom power for it to work.
What’s your exact set up, how do you go from your mic to laptop?

I read your first post again, regarding you have a modern desktop, that doesn’t matter and I don’t know where you even read that, but it doesn’t matter what you are using you still need phantom power for it to work. Get a cheap used audio interface

holy shit just shut the fuck up and stop making excuses about how you can't come up with anything using the endless supply of music out there

the reason they stopped making cross style music is because the guy who mixed and tweaked everything to get it to the next level died or whatever and they couldn't pull it off alone anymore

imitating your idols for a period is only a means of reaching your own sound later on, stop being such a faggot trying to follow exactly in their footsteps and blogging about it

>the reason they stopped making cross style music is because the guy who mixed and tweaked everything to get it to the next level died or whatever and they couldn't pull it off alone anymore

That's my thought as well.

not really sure wtf you are talking about, but i know what demons and dark stuff means. these might help

mediafire.com/file/qfkudxan32t49j1/Wav_Files.7z/file

if you want more samples describe the sound like im stupid , cheers

Learn to dj

what's his name

Did you sample Demarcus' beats?

lookin for feedback/ideas to complete this one

instaud.io/3Vvq

is this LORN? its good but like its pretty much just LORN

rip /prod/

I thought of another good opening sample. 50 Cent Ready for War

M8, just ignore him. He's been off his meds for a bit.

please respond

it's pretty well known that most of the engineering on Cross was done by Mr Oizo, it was even primarily mixed in his home studio iirc.
If you go listen to his earlier stuff you can even hear the signature overcompression artifacts and distortion that carried over into that record and a lot of the ed banger stuff also (ie: SebastiAn).
Justice really brought the meticulous sample craft to that table along with the keyboard chops.
dunno why he didn't do anything for them after, kinda disappeared for a decade

Lads... how to focus?

Attached: creepy anime lesbian.png (372x339, 194K)

pay someone else to do it

turn off the internet

I listen to Mr. Oizo sometimes and I can kind of see it but I don't know why they changed their music style. Justice couldn't have learned how to mix those tracks themselves that quickly for sure. But all of that leads me to believe that they simply couldn't find anymore funk/soul/disco samples that fit their music vision. They sampled something like 400 albums for Cross (although when listening to Cross I don't hear that many samples unless you perhaps include bass notes). The DVNO bass line is something else - almost certainly bass notes from a sample CD.

Also, they left Ed Banger, so maybe Mr. Oizo wasn't permitted to work on their albums.

they didn't mix it. oizo did. they changed their sound because of a combination of
a) laziness
b) difficulty finding more samples (if you didn't hear that many samples you missed them... phantom for example is basically a straight rip from Tenebre (youtube.com/watch?v=rbPxNCidwoM)
c) inability to recreate what oizo did during the mix thus changing their sound

Can only produce for 5 minutes at a time until my brain doesn't want to anymore REEEE. Also get a mental block whenever I have to add another element to the track.

>all these faggots mystified by a pumping side chain on an Alesis 3630

Yes, I know the major samples, but I'm saying throughout the album I don't hear 400 distinct sampled sounds. If you look at WhoSampled.com, you can hear some of the stuff they used, but again, I don't hear 400 sampled sounds on the record. I do believe they changed their sound because they ran out of cool sounding samples that fit their glam rock Marc Bolan style sound from Cross.

Everything good in fuck/disco/soul has been found. No one's going to find another Newjack or Phantom sample. I'm sure music has been combed top to bottom.

Instead, Justice does the glam rock thing with more modern samples.

Everyone says it was the 3630... 3630 sounds way too saturated for Cross.

>larping this hard
the entire album uses the 3630 trick, kid

>I do believe they changed their sound because they ran out of cool sounding samples
>Everything good in fuck/disco/soul has been found. No one's going to find another Newjack or Phantom sample.

how convenient fror you that you that your favorite group's change in sound indicates that your situation is hopeless and gives you a convenient excuse to fail at making the sound you want

But it's true. Everything's been taken unless I wanted to make block sample French House, which is boring. I can listen to the first few seconds of a song and tell almost immediately that it's not the sound I'm looking for. I'm listening through all the Billy Ocean albums right now and found a few cool things, but nowhere near as cool as anything on Cross.

Find a sample as catchy as You Make Me Wanna Wiggle or Phantom and then we can talk. I feel like I'm wasting my time looking for things that aren't there.

How do you master a trap song?
Is it the traditional way or is it just down sample selection?

Attached: 4359201_0.jpg (630x630, 71K)

you're wasting your time because you've got tunnel vision- you're looking for samples to be sampled in an identical fashion rather than actually finding something that sounds good and writing a song for that sample rather than the other way around.

now please stop posting for fucks sake

>or is it just down sample selection?
you what

master it how you normally would??? or clip shit. i drive everything a lot harder for trap personally but i'm into more aggressive shit

lmao

i suck at giving feedback so i usually try to share samples to anyone that wants whenever i post a track, this lad seemed to be the only one in dire need

Why does no one fuck with Bitwig?

how hard

... bro there's not some magic number what the fuck. i meant mastered hard in comparison to other genres, there's room for it for certain types of trap

if you don't know what you're doing and just master "hard" without knowing what that means you're just going to sound like ass. Mix and master "right" first.
use reference tracks.

... to answer that from a lufs perspective i'm talking -8 to -6~

i've talked about clippers and saturation extensively before and i'm not in the mood to type a paragraph about it.... but they're underrated mixing tools imo, doubly so for trap

instaud.io/3Vzy

never heard of it

thought it was going to be cool until the trap beat came in and it just started repeating

reaktor is fun
where is that sample from? i can't remember and it's bothering me now lmao

>thought it was going to be cool
at least there's potential lol
>where is that sample from?
youtube.com/watch?v=FbemVRN03OI