/prog/ - Progressive Rock General

Post and discuss prog, assholes

Attached: artrockstore-genesis-nursery-cryme-album_1024x1024.jpg (1000x1000, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=STvWMYb9Arw
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcS0VolYVw
youtube.com/watch?v=aMpmbXRIu28
youtube.com/watch?v=2NEH3UCXklg
youtube.com/watch?v=I1qrakmvXcg
youtube.com/watch?v=YkBAEty9Pak
youtube.com/watch?v=SQaGCNGgfe4
youtube.com/watch?v=psSrLwgRwBM
youtube.com/watch?v=LlK2kYPUJh4
youtube.com/watch?v=_eZU4eFjhmU
youtube.com/watch?v=3r3vte4JYSE
youtube.com/watch?v=JrFAiJtavYk
youtube.com/watch?v=dN5EKIm_0tQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sJj-KNTYLtk
youtube.com/watch?v=EChAf5Ynvl8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty good album there, fucker

thanks dickwad, blasting the CD rn while getting drunk alone in my room on wine.

TURN AND RUN

Sounds fun, currently listening to pic related, surprised I’d never listened to this band sooner, pretty good stuff

Attached: 809368CD-8E0B-4432-B7B9-20BD8CC57CE7.jpg (1425x1425, 249K)

I've had this album in my library for ages, always been a bit turned off by the cover and never given a proper listen. I think I will because fuck it, what could be more fun than a little 80s prog

not sure if it's prog, but more like i robot?

that's a movie numbnuts, it stars Will Smith

i'm talking about alan parsons, silly

I always hate myself when I listen to an album that I ignored for having bad or weird covers and find out what i was missing, been working on changing that a bit, but definitely give it a listen

For me, it's Soft Machine

Attached: folder.jpg (500x500, 35K)

Idk Styx?

Honestly the only Marillion album I liked

Soft machine is quite good although I’ve only listened to Bundles and Six. Of the two, Bundles is better

Tfw someone on Yea Forums has said that Soft Machine literally has only one noteworthy album when they are one of the most prolific prog bands.

>most prolific prog bands.
I'd say they were a prolific Fusion band, since 1st and 2nd are Canterbury scene / psychedelic, 3rd prog and 4 and over are all jazz rock / Fusion

I consider jazz rock (but not fusion) to be prog rock as long as its complex enough.

I don't really consider Soft Machine to be fusion aside from the Holdsworth albums.

for me? it's kansas, the best prog rock band

Attached: kansas.jpg (980x653, 82K)

Favorite prog band atm is Univers Zero. Its literally the first avant prog band one would listen to but their whole discography really clicks with me. I have high hopes for exploring avant prog deeper.

Camel is no.1 as far as personal favorites go. No matter how many times they changed their sound, they remained extremely melodic; even by prog standards.

Zeuhl wise I love Zao, they are more fusion infused with zeuhl than straight up zeuhl but that works for me since I love fusion. Being one of the most prolific zeuhl groups outside of Magma is icing on the cake.

Clutching at Straws is their best

I didn't know leatherface used to be in a prog band

I'll be honest, most symphonic rock is absolutely terrible driving music. Zeuhl on the other hand is amazing; especially in a German car. It combines the slickness of jazz with the galloping intensity of old school metal; both of which are driving music staples.

I used to be hugely into prog, but lost interest a few years back in favour of more direct, emotionally charged music. I challenge /prog/ to link me some obscure shit that will win me back over to the land of the noodles.

>tfw this absolute gem of a song got deleted to make room for the shit that ws A Trick of the Tail.

It fucking hurts everytime bros. AToTT could have been a legit 10/10 album if they weren't so anxious to try and land a hit single after Peter left.

youtube.com/watch?v=STvWMYb9Arw

What’s the best ELP album in your opinion ?

Attached: BEE35B6A-F1D2-4DBD-8C04-F519F2B7B98A.jpg (220x220, 16K)

IT'S 6 O'CLOCK IN THE TOWER BLOCKS
THE STALAGMITES OF CULTURE SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK

BSS due to the fact it has Karn Evil 9 but everything from S/T to BSS is pretty good

What are now you into instead? Yeah prog is usually lacking in the vocals department but personally, electric keyboards and great melodies speak more emotionally to me. I've been neglecting 'beautiful' music in favour of dissonant avant prog and firey jazz rock/fusion for the past year or so but there's plenty of prog tunes that will always stick with me. The only other music I've found to be as sublime as prog has been 70s electronic music.

Atoll: Everyone calls them a Yes ripoff but all I see is top notch jazz rock infused with great symphonic flourishes
Le Cimetiere De Plastique
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcS0VolYVw

Eskaton: Most Zeuhl isn't so much emotionally engaging as it is otherworldly but its peak prog and I hope you had heard some before losing interest in prog
Le Cri
youtube.com/watch?v=aMpmbXRIu28

Gong: I am hoping that you liked the jazzy side of prog too. Here's an early Holdsworth solo.
Expresso!
youtube.com/watch?v=2NEH3UCXklg

Pekka Pohjola: Brilliant composer and one of my favorite bassists; one of the most melodic on the instrument. Also has Oldfield on guitars.
Mathematicians Air Display
youtube.com/watch?v=I1qrakmvXcg

Samla Mamma Mannas: Avant prog but as melodic as anything on this list despite having absolutely twisted time sigs.
Ventilation Calculation
youtube.com/watch?v=YkBAEty9Pak

Steve Hacket: I really hope you at least heard this one before quitting prog
Every Day
youtube.com/watch?v=SQaGCNGgfe4

Steve Hillage: Another Steve; that fucking delayed guitar tone is awesome
Palm Trees
youtube.com/watch?v=psSrLwgRwBM

Modry Efekt: Communist prog. Commies tended to used very harsh and industrial parameters for their keyboards, its far more overpowering than the western symphonic prog we are used to.
Zazrak Jedne Noci
youtube.com/watch?v=LlK2kYPUJh4

Wigwam: This is one of my favorite prog albums of all time
Prophet
youtube.com/watch?v=_eZU4eFjhmU

Kaipa: Swedish and apparently still going strong today; this track also has booming keyboards like that Czech band I mentioned
Total Forvirrig
youtube.com/watch?v=3r3vte4JYSE

Harmonium: Their best song by a long shot. Underappreciated but one of the best prog side longs.
En Tournee
youtube.com/watch?v=JrFAiJtavYk

Focus: Another more entry level prog band, I don't think most people make it as far as Hamburger though.
Birth
youtube.com/watch?v=dN5EKIm_0tQ

Caravan: Anyone who doesn't like Caravan isn't a real prog fan.
Love in Your Eye/ Catch me a Brother/ Subsultus
youtube.com/watch?v=sJj-KNTYLtk

Camel: Camel is honestly the only band that makes me tear up, its just something music isn't supposed to do to me.
First Light
youtube.com/watch?v=EChAf5Ynvl8

Claim your prog waifu

I got dibs on Chris Squire

Attached: yesband.png (1091x791, 485K)

Wakeman is fucking beautiful as a 2d girl.