Advice About Pursuing Music

For the past 4 years i have been practicing 6 hours everyday playing music. I have achieved a level of technical proficiency around a professional level. Now for the past 5 months I have been trying my luck at becoming a professional musician and my parents seem to be disapproving. Despite the fact that I have been getting straight As ever since high school, even up to my first year of college, my parents seem to be ashamed that I am even going to attempt to become a musician. Its not like I have no reason to doubt that I have the capability to do so, considering I have befriended a few mildly famous internet stars and have put myself out there. However, this tension has intensified when I brought up to my parents that my cousin, who is a professional artist, took a multitude of art courses in college and that I would like to do something similar with music to fulfill basic art/humanities requirements. My parents exploded when hearing this and told me that my music will never amount to everything and that I am delusional. Yea Forums, be honest, am I be unreasonable to try my luck at this when I already have a stable future with my current grades?

Attached: 1559535619964.jpg (1920x1200, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

musicconnection.com/music-industry-advice-26-things-release-song-album/
soundcloud.com/the-doom-shroom/solo
soundcloud.com/the-doom-shroom/red-moon
soundcloud.com/the-doom-shroom/combine-online-audio-convertercom
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's probably nothing more selfish in the world than thinking you deserve to make a living as an artist.

how so? Its not like I am abandoning my major requirements and not having a backup plan. I never said that I have a guarantee at becoming someone famous. I just want to give it a shot and if I fail i will just continue on with graduate school.

sounds like a pasta, but you dont really need any formal music education past a certain point unless youre a jazzfag. assuming you play guitar, if you understand scales, inversions, chord extensions, and overall have a grasp/experience with songwriting you can write songs/be in a band in your spare time

What an asshole remark.
Art brings people great joy. Just that you like it yourself doesn't make it selfish. Hell, you're pleasing other AND yourself. Are you saying it's selfish to think you deserve to have a fulfilling job? It depends on what kind of person you are I'd say... A decent person deserves to be happy. It may be unrealistic and lazy if you haven't put the hours in.

You seem talented. My parents have always supported my love for music. You should pursue what you love, if you can have a backup plan... but also go FULLY for it if you love it.
It's worth it user, so much. Being a musician, professionally or not is a gift that keeps on giving.

live your dream, wagecucking is not honorable. Imagine having one shot at life and wasting it working a job you hate until you die

bumping for personal interest

(fuck your parents there dumb) read that music business book and sell songs to other bands and get a touring gig and become a session player

Wow you had straight As in high school what a fucking big deal hahahhahahahhaa

Unless you whore out to the modern prog or tech metal scene, instrumental proficiency won't make you any money in the music industry as an artist. However, playing classical or flamenco for functions or being a renowned session musician should net you a passable music career. I assume you play guitar correct?

It's your life, It's now or never, you ain't gonna live forever.

It depends on how you wanna pursue music as a career.

You either have the Session player road where you are just a studio hound, have to be the best shredder ever, and usually don't play live unless you are playing for some pop band where the front person is the important part,

OR
You play in bands in your town, make good enough to music for people to enjoy your shows and come to them, then eventually make connections with touring bands, tour in other cities yourself to make money. Nobody these days really make money just through record sales, its mostly ticket sales that are the worthwhile income.

Don't let anyone ever tell you what to do.
Your parents are absolute shits for not encouraging you to follow your dreams.
Do what you love.
I also suggest looking into self recording and mixing. That stuff is really important

dont mean to be that guy but.. post your music? maybe you are tone def and they are trying to help you out here. I dont know how they could be as harsh as you made them out to be

Go for it user. What do you play?

I have some advice for you. Eat my fucking shit

based joviposter

Attached: X4bon05.jpg (605x807, 101K)

Post some recordings bruv

>For the past 4 years i have been practicing 6 hours everyday playing music. I have achieved a level of technical proficiency around a professional level
No, you haven't. But that's completely irrelevant. Just make music you like and shill it until you find a gig, or become a freelance musician and work on other people's music.
Or go the easy route and become a producer.

Your parents are right. You can pursue music on the side, and maybe eventually do it full time if you get extremely lucky (like get famous), but attempting to be a musician full time right outta the gate is suicide. even very successful musicians have full time jobs doing other shit because you dont make money as a musician

nothings based in luck, its all based in work.
planning for failure = failure.
and
“if you succeed, prepare to be crucified” - jay z lmfao.
spend some money and pick up ari herstands book “how to make it in the new music business” & don passmans “ all you need to know in the music business” read them in that order respectively.
im gonna assume we’re around the same age based off your post and i’ll tell you, you could be making 10k/month and unless your parents see you on a red carpet, they wont think you’re successful. just do you and be happy. read those books. (also the art of war for marketing purposes)

why for marketing purposes?

who cares if it seems unreasonable if it's what you wanna do then do it.

just make sure you work your ass off at marketing yourself and don't be lazy.

Do it OP. If it doesn't work out you can always hang yourself.

Pursuing a career in the music industry in 2019 is absolutely retarded. Imagine knowingly becoming a propagandist because you think you're too good for something.

youre going to be going up against a SHIT ton of people trying to break into the music scene (or anything that makes money) so you should study the landscape before and learn how to maneuver / go against competition.
of course if you don't want to become a superstar or
i've personally found it helpful on how i approach and i think its been listed in business insider or entrepreneur as a good read for business owners (as reinforcement if that matters to you)/
your art is your business so treat it as such.
building a team and growing fanbase is the same thing as putting together your own personal army.
don't be lazy, work everyday towards building your own empire.
be prepared for the corporate wars and start recruiting your rollerball players now.
heres an excerpt from ari's book btw.
musicconnection.com/music-industry-advice-26-things-release-song-album/

- g

>read the art of war, bro
Glow harder.

Not sure is this worked but here is an audio clip

soundcloud.com/the-doom-shroom/solo

You are the "million notes a second and no soul" meme given form.

This is actually better
soundcloud.com/the-doom-shroom/red-moon
Maybe stop practicing scales and learn to fucking compose and you might be able to make a living off jingles and occasionally play in a jazz band

You sound like a fast and very accurate player but you need an unique voice to stand out; you need to experiment with phrasing and more unconventional melodies. Guthrie Govan is a good example of a modern tech shredder who tastefully infuses his playing with jazz fusion. If all else fails and you can't find your own style, just become an Allan Holdsworth clone. I think you could carve some niche out in the prog metal scene

can't say anything unless you post clean audio without high gain or ambient noise

high gain and ambient noise/effects hide mistakes in guitar playing so well metal players have convinced themselves they're good

This anons right, that track is so much more tasteful. As it is, I'm sure the modern nu prog scene would eat things like that track up if you refined things.

If you infused it with some classical/flamenco and you could even become a musician for large function events.

new clip that is a little clearer

soundcloud.com/the-doom-shroom/combine-online-audio-convertercom

This. Distorted guitar combines compression with cacophony. Any details that aren't obliterated are lost.

It's the ultimate crutch.

>still dirty

Re-record with the gain all the way to 0 and all effects off. Keep the master volume low enough to avoid breakup. Use the neck pickup. If it doesn't sound good anymore it was bad to begin with.

I don't have any clips on me rn that are not distorted. I did post a new clip that is a little clearer, sorry for the poor quality. I might post some of my more recent stuff but in those im singing as well.

if you really want to know if you're just tone deaf you're going to have to look for better peer review than Yea Forums

I’m stable at 8k monthly listeners on Spotify after a peak of 45k a few months ago. Learn to record your own shit. We can all make it if we want to.

fpbp