Have it out, Yea Forumstants. Pick your 90s gril singer

Have it out, Yea Forumstants. Pick your 90s gril singer.

Attached: 8765467890.jpg (2014x532, 280K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gdwJSm2-a64
thesun.co.uk/news/5917183/mariah-careys-sister-reveals-traumatic-childhood-in-which-she-was-sexually-abused-survived-an-arson-attack-and-was-taken-to-satanic-gatherings/
youtube.com/watch?v=35I8uuLmP-E
youtube.com/watch?v=ar7afdfBHj4
youtube.com/watch?v=RQJjUbMrt8w
youtube.com/watch?v=M1_FfTeKQio
youtube.com/watch?v=D0BhqHK9WM0
setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-smashing-pumpkins-23d6e0ab.html?song=Daydream
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

None. I fucking hate women.

For me, it's Lori Bravo

Attached: lori bravo.jpg (281x318, 22K)

At least three of them should be excised from that chart. Try and guess which ones.

This. Women can suck a couple hairy pimple covered chodes.

god they're all so ugly...3D truly is disgusting

Attached: 1389060948647.png (347x306, 223K)

BJORK

Attached: 1560430636954.png (699x466, 416K)

PJ Harvey is proto-Bengalfuel. Jewel was cute back in the day despite her music being unlistenable trash. Sheryl Crow was vapid mompop cheese. Melissa Ethridge is a carpet burner. Celine was fairly harmless. Alanis was only relevant for one (annoying) album. I don't know anything about Sarah McLaughlin. Tori Amos was cute and would probably be into BDSM. I have no idea who or what Paula Cole is but she looks fat and feminist. Mariah Carey was good for fapping purposes only.

That leaves Bjork as the only choice. :^)

None of those
youtube.com/watch?v=gdwJSm2-a64

Attached: kimgoss2012.jpg (456x304, 26K)

Some of those are recent pics now that they're old and ugly, IDK.

Gewn Stefani

I was dragged by a gf to a Sarah McLaughlin concert once and had to be subjected to a bunch of rants about how all men are rapists. Yeah, fuck that shit.

Damn look at the milkers on Paula Cole.

Attached: kvnYKGvX.jpg (400x400, 25K)

90's Cat Power was the cutest

If you ever saw Tori Amos, the crowd is nothing but hambeast feminists and bitchy gay queens.

And it's another thread where Yea Forums only cares about female artists for their body not their artistry.

Attached: this_is_my_sarcastic_face_by_radiomurders_d33dzmu-pre.jpg (730x1095, 71K)

for me its jarboe

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.jpg (770x800, 117K)

PJ, Tori, and Bjork were always Yea Forumscore for as long as I can remember. The rest can jump off a cliff.

Alanis and Bjork are the best out of those, I would also add Beth Gibbons and Kelli Ali. Madonna's late 90s-early 2000s output was really good as well.

Little Earthquakes [Atlantic, 1991]
She's been raped and she's written a great song about it, the quietly frightening "Me and a Gun." It's easily the most gripping piece of music on here and it's acapella. That means she isn't Kate Bush. But although I'm sure she's her own person and all, Kate Bush's market share she'd happily settle for. C.

Under the Pink [Atlantic, 1993] *bomb*

Boys For Pele [Atlantic, 1996] *bomb*

From The Choirgirl Hotel [Atlantic, 1998] *bomb*

Strange Little Girls [Atlantic, 2002]
*choice cuts* "'97 Bonnie and Clyde"

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

Shut your mouth, hambeast.

I'll have to go with my bae desu

Attached: fiona-apple-608x400.jpg (608x400, 57K)

Brilliant, cutting music journalism, I must say.

Mariah Carey [Columbia, 1990]
I swear I didn't know her mama was an opera singer but then I'm embarrassed I didn't guess. She gets too political in her brave young attack on war and destitution. Elsewhere she sticks to what she doesn't know--love. Debbie Gibson, come back. All is forgiven! C

Emotions [Columbia, 1991] *bomb*

Music Box [Columbia, 1993] *bomb*

Butterfly [Columbia, 1997] *bomb*

Rainbow [Columbia, 1999]
not a real r&b thrush but good enough to fake it ("Heartbreaker", "Bliss") *

E=MC2 [Island, 2008]
*choice cuts* "(Touch) My Body"

I never figured out how she got a #1 hit every single year of the 90s.

She fucked the right people.

Why does Bjork seem to be the only one of them who comes off as lovable and not a raging cunt?

Per Joni Mitchell, "[Bjork] is one of the few female artists I've seen who seems to genuinely enjoy sex."

thesun.co.uk/news/5917183/mariah-careys-sister-reveals-traumatic-childhood-in-which-she-was-sexually-abused-survived-an-arson-attack-and-was-taken-to-satanic-gatherings/

Attached: mariahcomplex1.jpg (800x533, 90K)

Yea Forums only ever did like manic pixie dream girls like Bjork anyway.

Wow what a douche.

Surfacing [Arista, 1997]
Fearing serial tsunamis of subcosmic truism and womanist gush, I'd always kept away from the edge of this Canadian, such as it was. But between her Lilith Fair counterpalooza and "Building a Mystery" bonanza, I had to dive in, and got less than I'd bargained for. McLachlan isn't a mystic, a sister, even a NewAger--merely a singer-songwriter of monumental banality. Now ensconced in the mature satisfactions that come eventually to many unhappy young women, most of whom don't possess a clear multioctave voice or modest tune sense, she's proud to encase her homilies of succor and self-acceptance in settings that don't call undue attention to her compositional ambitions. Renormalized pop at its most unnecessary. C-

Why do you think Eminem threatened with "I can describe areas of your house you wouldn't find on an episode of Cribs". Obviously she's deep in bed with the Satanist kid fuckers.

i want bjork to bully me desu

Attached: itsamadmadmadmadmarge2.png (512x384, 340K)

fpbp
Women shouldn't be allowed to make music at all, everything they make is generic drivel

Attached: download.jpg (291x173, 6K)

This Fire [Imago/Warner Bros., 1996]
Before anyone knew she'd go platinum, netcrit Glenn McDonald presciently declared Cole the new queenpin of a female tradition he traced from Kate Bush through Peter Gabriel, Melissa Etheridge, and Sarah McLachlan. Although McDonald sanely declared this genre the obverse of male-identified metal, a skeptic with no tolerance for subpeaks in either would like to note that each is beholden to "classical" precepts of musical dexterity and genitalia-to-the-wall expression. Where Kate Bush overwhelms petty biases as inexorably as Led Zep, Cole is just a romantic egotist who can't resist turning ordinary human problems into three-act dramas. Kate Bush fans will love her. C+

Based
I'll have to say Bjork, Tori Amos and Shania Twain, all other answers are wrong

Attached: Photo-of-Dolores-ORIORDAN-and-CRANBERRIES.jpg (615x932, 58K)

What about Shania Twain?

Also cf. vapid mompop cheese.

Has Jewel ever made one song that didn't give off that "Please punch my teeth out" vibe?

If Cuckgau thinks It's Oh So Quiet was the best song on Post....yeah, no.

didn't even look at the pic but for me, it's Fiona Apple.
Then that chick from All Saints who was married to Liam Gallagher for a few months
Then unironically Courtney Love
t. boomer

looked at the pic

goddamn OP that's a bad list. Like shit.

Yeah I hate Jewel too.

Melissa Ethridge was out in the 80s though, she's not entirely a 90s artist.

B J Ö R K

Also her voice is...no.

Imagine being this devoid of taste.

It's like she's trying poorly to be Janis Joplin.

your list sucks

Attached: 1542447465994.png (629x565, 758K)

Bjork has been Yea Forumscore for as long as Yea Forums has existed, newfag.

so what, your list still sucks dicks

Uggh, Jagged Little Pill is so brickwalled it hurts to listen to.

1. Mommy bjork
2. PBnJ Harvey
3. Sheryl crow

He wants you to delete everyone from the list he doesn't consider fuckable.

I never figured out how this guy could blast her and ME for their vocal histrionics but at the same time give Alanis a complete pass for it. At least you could largely avoid Natalie Cole and Melissa unless you hung around with radical feminists while that leaf ex-Britney Spears and her bullshit blared from every radio for a year straight back in 95-96.

Probably because JLP was just straight pop/rock without the conceptual pretensions of the other ones, which he hates. I can't imagine knowing Cuckgau's usual tastes that he would go for lyrics about vampires and voodoo dolls.

Having never heard Paula Cole before, this isn't bad. At least the bass groove is pretty good. I can still see why Cuckgau wouldn't like it though.

youtube.com/watch?v=35I8uuLmP-E

Mariah is always painful to get through. Emotions is probably the most bearable song of hers and I generally prefer the adult contemp/pop sound of the early albums to the R&B of the later ones.

>cover art featuring her naked on a swingset
Women's lib was a great, great mistake.

Ok so I listened to one song from each of them as a "representative".

Rid of Me: It's ok garage rock until the ending bit which is disgusting. B-
Foolish Games: Awful, awful smarm. Yuck. C-
It's Oh So Quiet: I don't remember what the Betty Hutton original sounds like since I haven't heard it in a long long time but this isn't very good. C
Run, Baby, Run: Really, really bland attempt at a Gen Xer feminist anthem and the plagiarism from Billy Joel is laughable. C
Ain't It Heavy: Yep, it's pastiche Janis Joplin right down to the vocals C
If You Asked Me To: I can't remember anything about this one. C
Ironic: It's not bad, in fact probably the most listenable song on that album. B
Building a Mystery: This one is kind of cute and gives off a Hot Topic kind of vibe. B
Pretty Good Year: I have no idea what the lyrics are about but it's a cute song. B
Tiger: Already mentioned above. B
Emotions: Already mentioned above. B-

Great, we have ourselves a Cuckgau wannabe reviewer here.

So make a better one.

Attached: download.jpg (236x190, 14K)

They're all terrible. 0/10. Apply yourself, OP.

Of those, Björk

Lisa Germano definitely is my favorite but I still need to know of many more

Bjork, obviously.

Including Bjork btw.

Attached: Kristen_Pfaff.jpg (212x256, 16K)

Rachel a cute

Attached: images (31).jpg (575x533, 27K)

>After graduating from Catholic school Buffalo Academy of the Sacred Heart in 1985, Pfaff spent a short time in Europe and briefly attended Boston College before ultimately finishing at the University of Minnesota, majoring in Women's Studies. There, she also worked as a counselor for rape victims. She was a part of Restore of the Sexual Violence Program, which offered a crisis line, counseling services and training in self-defense programs. Pfaff also took part in the annual 24 Hour Rape Free Zone in 1990, and was quoted as saying the goal was "to draw attention to violence brought against women on campus and in the world". During this time she participated in the college radio station, Radio K, and she can be heard doing this in a short clip available on Soundcloud.[2]

Attached: trash.jpg (778x1018, 367K)

>It's ok garage rock

>PJ Harvey
>garage rock

Also, well done for making such a terrible post

Attached: 1523375282416.jpg (2048x1536, 142K)

So by "violence brought against women on campus" she meant "drunk sluts who fucked 20 dudes at a party and now regret it", right?

90s art hos are nice and all but this thread is too girly. I need to spin Vulgar Display of Power now.

But that promotes toxic masculinity.

>Hope Sandoval is still on the table
Noice, I got dibs.

Ugh. Just show me the guys.

She doesn't give off that feeling in interviews and seems likable enough. Though maybe it's just from more recent interviews where she's older and grown out of being an edgy 20-something.

PJ, Bjork, and Tori are the only real answers. Most of these female singer songwriters were only signed to try and find a more accessible Tori after her early success surprised everyone. Fiona should be in there too, she was popular and solid.
Tori was always too girly for Yea Forums but if PJ was qt waifu material she'd be spammed as much as Bjork. Yea Forums is always out of the loop on females if they're not that fuckable.

Attached: pjbjorktori.jpg (400x341, 54K)

no hope sandoval kys cuck

Tori was way more fuckable than that cave troll PJ, but PJ's music was also more rock-flavored.

The girl from Sixpence None The Richer, exactly the way she looks in the video for Kiss Me

That's my ideal qt

Kate Bush and Bjork are very girly though.

I think the problem was more that some of the artists in OP pic are far too associated with radfems on Tumblr to be appealing to Yea Forums, which after all really only likes manic pixie dream girls.

when it comes to 90s im more into the alt rock and/or grungey chicks, out of the OP's list ill go PJ Harvey or Bjork

Attached: 654764686858.png (647x466, 594K)

>when it comes to 90s im more into the alt rock and/or grungey chicks
No riot grrls though, fuck that shit.

See Yes those are rock-centric, but politically unacceptable here.

Courtney Love is lower than scum and should be excised from rock history. The Gen Xer Yoko Ono.

Something about Jewel and Sheryl Crow pathologically repels me and I don't know what it is.

>Most of these female singer songwriters were only signed to try and find a more accessible Tori after
Or more accessible Hole/riot grrl.

I forgot about Shirley completely.

Yep if you like anyone over these three you should just get off of mu and listen to more music. Most of the rest of these are just lilith love fair tier shit that never made any serious art.

>Alanis was basically a plant, sold as the more radio friendly Tori Amos. They eventually forced Tori to take Alanis on a co-headline tour so Alanis could pick up some of the obsessives and Tori could pick up some of the mainstream crowd. Alanis never could produce a single great song without Glen Ballard. Her first album is still fun though.

>Jewel had one quirky and sincere album in her and then immediately rode that wave into a safe spot on adult contemporary radio.

>Sheryl Crow had some pretty good songs but inconsistent albums and direction that never goes too far below the surface. She couldn't ever handle writing on her own either. She appealed ro a lot of people by looking like a badass while playing pop, easygoing Americana, "soft" rock, "light" jazz, etc.

>Melissa Etheridge and her couple of adult contemporary semi-hits got extra hype and cred because she was an unapologetic lesbian. She wasn't terrible but she couldn't hold her own alongside her male heroes.

>Celine Dion is great at what she does but she's always been more of a singer and entertainer than an artist and belongs in a different category.

>Sarah McLaughlin had a pretty voice and a lot of pretty, overly saccharine songs that never got too deep. Couldn't do a thing on her own and never made serious art. And she is insufferable.

>Paula Cole who knows how she even stuck around? A couple of cute songs, forgettable albums, same formula as the rest of the lilith love fair women, and she was always just ok.

>Shania Twain and especially Mariah Carey probably deserve a lot more credit than they get as pop stars, but yeah they're still just pop stars.
I don't think most people realize just how involved Carey was with her direction and writing, but I still don't like her music so meh.

Attached: 90's-QTs.jpg (500x472, 47K)

>Alanis was basically a plant
LITERALLY CANADIAN BRITNEY SPEARS

Yeah Tori was just very girly in a really aggressive and damaged way unlike Bjork and Kate that seemed to embrace their femininity, Tori struggled with it and used it like a weapon. I mean Kate and Bjork wouldnt sing about men being pussies or using sex to get what they want, shit like that. She gets emasculating about males but in an obviously defensive manner and constantly talked about wanting to steal mens power and her struggles with other females. I mean it's all really honest and interesting I'll give it that.

>Sheryl Crow had some pretty good songs but inconsistent albums and direction that never goes too far below the surface. She couldn't ever handle writing on her own either. She appealed ro a lot of people by looking like a badass while playing pop, easygoing Americana, "soft" rock, "light" jazz, etc.
Also from time to time featuring established country/arena rock legends like Don Henley on her albums to give her additional cred.

>I don't think most people realize just how involved Carey was with her direction and writing, but I still don't like her music so meh.
Yes she largely wrote her own songs but it was absolutely generic cookie-cutter pop and R&B, and for the pre-Butterfly albums she was also under the boot of her then-husband and couldn't make the kind of music she really wanted to make. She was also 100% a singles artist, not an album artist, and her "songs" seemed to mostly be vehicles for her shitty vocal gymnastics.

Shania Twain was Sheryl Crow without the cringy faux-bad girl attitude and her cuteness played up more. I won't lie if I said she wasn't a 10/10 back in the day.

She gets a bad rap, first two Hole albums were good. God you murder one guy and suddenly everyone hated her GET OVER IT KURT FANBOYS!

>Jewel had one quirky and sincere album in her

Too bad that album is smarmy to the point where you can't listen to it, particularly the title track and I'm Sensitive make you want to reach for the barf bag.

>Sarah McLaughlin had a pretty voice and a lot of pretty, overly saccharine songs that never got too deep. Couldn't do a thing on her own and never made serious art. And she is insufferable.

What clued you in? The user earlier in here who said he went to one of her concerts and had to sit through a feminist man-hating monologue?

>Melissa Etheridge and her couple of adult contemporary semi-hits got extra hype and cred because she was an unapologetic lesbian. She wasn't terrible but she couldn't hold her own alongside her male heroes
She did some adequate blues rock/Janis Joplin rips, no more than that.

Did anyone else notice that If It Makes You Happy and Meredith Brooks--Bitch have exactly the same music video?

Should add. Flea is friends with Alanis and Jewel and played on both their albums.

youtube.com/watch?v=ar7afdfBHj4

Alanis pretty much just wanted to vent her spleen about being dumped by that Full House guy, after that she'd accomplished whatever she set out to do and never did anything notable again.

Also she tried acid or something.

You may also be surprised to know that Yoko didn't break up the Beatles.

You notice it's funny how out of all these, Christgau also really only liked Kate Bush/PJ/Bjork and in Bjork's case it still took three albums before he warmed to her. It may well be that the manic pixie dream girl thing is more appealing to a lot of men than some potentially fucked-in-the-head feminist you can't be sure won't knife you in your sleep.

Even nu males like him don't want to actually be in the same room as radfems, they like the same cute, uber horny waifus as everyone else.

I love Toris shit. She was seriously tortured by her need of validation of men while desperately attached to the idea of rising above it all, and it's too rare for female musicians to be that honest even when it's ugly and irrational af. Especially with anger.
I don't think Kate was ever tortured in that way to begin with. She was usually more sensual than sexual. Same with Bjork only Bjork is much more explicit.

PJ is really interesting in that she's not the slightest bit "feminist", but ends up being a feminist icon by not ever giving the slightest bit of a shit about gender. Everything sexual in her music is hungry and obsessive and unceremonious, which ends up being really easy for a lot of males to relate to. Both times I went to see PJ there were so many more men in the audience, and she's not conventionally attractive so it was pretty surprising.

Attached: Mikki-734x1024.jpg (734x1024, 103K)

these are all nice for a fling, perhaps a summer-romance.
when it comes to wife material, there's only one answer

Attached: Laetitia Sadier.jpg (682x1024, 119K)

I agree.

>no Shirley Manson
Worthless list

Attached: shirley manson.jpg (461x640, 75K)

contrarian, but patrician answers

also Toni Halliday from Curve

T O N I

>Courtney Love
>Kim Deal
>Tanya Donelly / Kristin Hersh

Ah, a man of culture.

Attached: 844853f06b24417d88630ce1b66f246e.jpg (770x1129, 92K)

It’s Tina Arena you fucking niggers

Attached: hope-sandoval.jpg (1500x2250, 2.49M)

This

danielle brisebois. but im surprised if even 1 person on here knows her

Yeaa... try B for this kind of post

Björk is a qt but I want Paula Cole to sit on my face

youtube.com/watch?v=RQJjUbMrt8w

Attached: 5185935728_5cde23347b_b.jpg (831x1024, 131K)

>no meredith brooks
shit list

>Tanya Donelly with red hair

We truly live in the best of all possible worlds.

this
and this

Attached: shrl.jpg (700x1000, 180K)

>one hit wonder

PJ would probably appeal more to rockists than some of the others.

Julianna Hatfield was good for a while in the 90s

Attached: 623531CD-2E79-43B7-8925-CB0576941061.jpg (770x782, 130K)

Belly was great for a minute too bad they were so short lived

What about that chick who sang “Mother Mother” did she ever do anything else noteworthy besides that song?

Natalie Merchant don’t get enough love around here

Attached: AE36DF35-316F-4BB9-86E2-5856141FF408.png (330x480, 217K)

The 2 singers from Veruca Salt seemed pretty cool even tho I only know like 2 of their songs

Attached: 66969B01-1985-4832-A7A6-DF787189E596.jpg (640x444, 83K)

Natalie’s good but I was more of a Edie Brickell guy when it comes to boring 90s folk rock for old people

Attached: 5039E7B3-D3EA-40ED-A143-7FF5DCE0919F.jpg (236x365, 14K)

lyl that's funny 'cause Edie Brickell has a daddy fetish and has never fucked any dude who wasn't at least 20 years older than her

Can’t believe that cutie married that decrepit old man from Simon & Garfunkel

This, but replace “women” with “men.”
>proceeds to give Taylor Swift and Cardi B albums an A
The ultimate pleb retard

Lilith Fair was so comical.

>Yeah we're totally gonna show those white male corporate oppressors, right, sisters? This concert bought to you by Nissan: Go Places

Looks kind of like Janis Joplin.

Hatfield X Dando 4ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=M1_FfTeKQio

too freaky for me

Musically, PJ Harvey and Bjork are fantastic.

Attractiveness-wise, OP has terrible fucking taste and he actively avoided all the attractive women of the 90s. Fiona Apple? Miki Berenyi? D'Arcy Wretsky? Lauryn Hill? Come on now, you goddamn fuck.

D'Arcy is just a bassist, she doesn't write or sing anything.

Her voice is annoying.

She sounds like her puberty stopped at 12.

None of the above. For me its Miki Berenyi of Lush

Attached: Miki-Berenyi-of-Lush-girls-that-rock-30649888-1673-2298.jpg (1673x2298, 518K)

Tori Amos 7/10
Alanis 4/10
Melissa Ethridge 3/10
Jewel 2/10
Sheryl Crow 3/10
Paula Cole 4/10
Sarah McLachlan 4/10
Mariah Carey 3/10

I admit I wasn't paying attention to the singer point, but she did actually sing something, and it's one of the best songs they ever did:
youtube.com/watch?v=D0BhqHK9WM0

Forgot.

Bjork 6/10
PJ Harvey 8/10

This was pre-major label and she never sang on anything from SD onward and I also bet this wasn't ever performed live, Billy's ego would never permit it.

Attached: 9656.png (759x678, 54K)

setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-smashing-pumpkins-23d6e0ab.html?song=Daydream

Couple of times in 92 and 94.