Why is he so based?

why is he so based?

Attached: 8091_JacobCollier08.jpg (505x505, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ClPXOQLGIko
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because he triggers listeners with FACTS and LOGIC

how is it possible to be extremely talented yet incredibly boring at the same time

Jordi?

Because he never experienced depression. That's why so many "artists" hate him.

>why is he so based?
He's not. He's completely wasting his abilities and has created nothing but forgetable fusion trash.

BUT I WANT LOVE AND EMOTION
he just crams whatever is harmonically possible not what should be said.

hey i think i know that guy

>He's completely wasting his abilities
how so?

He's allegedly this wunderkind with all kinds of high profile coaches and all he's created is music fit for TED-talks. Technical mastery doesn't get you far when you're sterile.

kek

It's impossible for him to write a good song.

he's one of the most boring musicians in existence

Explain in music and/or psychological terms what makes something sound emotional in music.

soul

Yeah, that (metaphysical) one, explain that one in musical and/or psychological terms now.

>Be a musical wunderkid
>Self-taught and amateurs still do better music than you
This just proves pure talent trumps overall

Better music how? I like how Yea Forums keeps shitting on this kid but when you have to actually prove what is better or worse music, you lack any sort of brain power or terminology to debunk him with FACTS and LOGIC.

jacob collier is more concerned with stuffing as many convoluted notes as possible into a 4 minute song than he is writing something that actually means anything. his music lives in a fantasy/sci-fi novel

You aren't answering my question at all, you're just expanding your already nonsensical vocabulary. What "actually means anything"?

Music is preference and taste, there's nothing to debunk. There's no way to objectively prove that certain music is better than others without projecting one's own values. You can dissect songs in terms of their lyrics, symbolism, musical structure and complexity or simplicity but none of this makes a song 'good' to any particular person, it can be revered by a culture of people but that's still not 'objective'. In other words, dude is a virtuoso that writes harmonically dense turgid elevator schlock.

And why doesn't Collier's music mean nothing? Does Bach's music mean nothing as well because he stuffs as many notes as possible into short pieces like pic related?

Attached: IX5x9O9.png (375x262, 121K)

You're generally correct with that statement. There is virtually nothing to debunk, so it's pointless speaking about "better" or "worse".

>muh too many notes
>muh """soul"""
And yet he has a fanbase/audience that isn't full of completely tone-deaf non-musical normies and that is larger than the majority of artists' that people ITT listen to. Makes ya think...

> what "actually means anything"
you know something memorable you can really sink your teeth into. collier's music is gaudy and shallow

Literally
>soul
>soulless

based

mega based

This is a retarded argument. Technical ability isn't necessarily something bad but it's also not necessarily something good. Everything you do should add to the music to make the piece better. Just spouting out random notes that are in the scale to show off your skills don't add anything. Even if you can play the sickest drum rolls, doesn't mean you should play them. That's the reason so many people look up to Ringo. Never too much but always right. Jacob knows his theory and is a very skilled musician, but going all the way 100% of the time isn't a good trait.

ya seethe?

Attached: 1543777446440.jpg (2000x2000, 2.31M)

Holy fuck imagine being a person like this

cringe

> Does Collier's music mean nothing as well because he stuffs as many cocks as possible into tight places like my ass?

>Technical mastery doesn't get you far when you're sterile.
explain this in detail, please

This is just nonsensical fluff, you don't even speak about the actual music but rather about your feelings and reactions to said music.

>Technical ability isn't necessarily something bad
Correct. People ITT imply it is bad in the case of Collier though.
>it's also not necessarily something good
Never said it is.
>Just spouting out random notes that are in the scale to show off your skills don't add anything
And how do you differentiate between random and non-random notes? Can you prove his "random notes" add nothing to the music?
I'm still waiting for ONE coherent argument, these are all pointless and you don't even talk about any of the actual musical elements or anything.
Ad hominem =/= an argument.

Knowing the English language to perfection doesn't mean you'll write best selling novels. Creativity is a different skill than the technicalities of a medium

>language analogies
Would only work if music had a dictionary. And good thing when musicians play instruments and study scores and composition, they actually learn how to play and write music and not some random rules or this non-existent music dictionary that I'm mentioning for the sake of continuing your argument.

gaudy is a perfectly fine and fitting description for his music

Literally soulless

must be the gook genes

Reminder that he'll be 30 in five years and is already halfway through his three volume all star magnum opus featuring some of the music industries biggest luminaries. Djesse is the shark and Jacob is Fonzie

Jordi

Attached: el nino polla.png (330x445, 174K)

>extrapolates sesame street music in the negative octatonic scale

You lack the vocabulary and technical knowledge necessary to explain any musical concept, much less to criticize any artist or piece of music. And, above all of that, you try to lean on stupid analogies.

Before declaring what is a shit and what is not, stop and think what you know about the subject in question. It is clear that you have no idea about anything related to music apart from your own personal emotions and feelings

hola niños poller

the most obvious gotos would be Minor and mixed modes through out a song, do you want everything? it's all just theory but I am not arguing that Jacob doesn't know his theory or isn't a good musician but he has NO voice or at least nothing to say. He just makes music like a by product, hes a great musician but I wouldn't say artist.

he's french or some shit

see And how do you determine/define that he has "no voice or nothing to say"? How can you make that judgement?

He's fucking adorable. I'd hit it.

Attached: DrfVCPmU8AAqLC1.jpg (750x746, 168K)

He's 1/8th Chinese.

I think he's a fantastic teacher because his enthusiasm is uncontainable and his knowledge is extensive, but I can't listen to his music, largely because the enthusiasm comes back to bite him in the ass. He's so in love with harmony that he can't resist the urge to splurge and everything he does is so dense and oversaturated to the point where it's fatiguing. His covers of classic 60s songs that I love genuinely infuriate me because they're all morphed into these modern jazz hiphop fusion medleys with all sorts of added syncopation and chromaticism and 8-part vocal harmonies and instrumental breakdowns that ruin what made the originals so good. I hope that when he gets older he'll be less like a kid in a candy store and will cultivate the restraint needed to make something truly beautiful because I think he does have the potential to be a great composer.

lmao look at this fucking nerd

i dont need to define what i like and dont like

when i hear some shit and it sounds good to me i can like it, i dont care about explaining myself to some turbo autist on here

>what definitions would you use!?!?!

his shit sucks get over it

It's anyone's guess

Attached: colliers.jpg (1080x593, 74K)

Bro how the fuck can you prove that something sounds nice, its fucking music you dip. His songwriting is just so fucking corny to me and i dont find it captivating in any way. Do i need to define what captivating means? I don't like his music because i don't like his songwriting and his stylistic choice is so fucking bland. He's not creative about his tone, sound or texture at all it's just bland. It sounds like he's trying to prove you something everytime you listen to him. Usually i think less = more. Elliott smith couldn't name any of the chords he played. It just sounds nice. And Elliott is 10000000x the artist jacob is.

cope

I don't get how he thinks his music *sounds* good.

Most of the comments on his youtube videos are surprisingly positive though, thought more people would think he's awful

>Hapa
>Doesn't have a mental illness

doubtful.

collierposting died too fast

girl on the right is hot

>technical ability isn't necessarily good
t. non-musician

>Bro how the fuck can you prove that something sounds nice
I don't know, that's why I'm asking you.
>His songwriting is just so fucking corny
>captivating
This, prove it, or else don't say it. It's that simple. You're using strong words yet you can't explain them because you lack any sort of real and tangible musical vocabulary or technical knowledge, yet here you are trying to talk down on some musicians and up others and you can't explain either. Just refrain from speaking because Collier obviously has an audience and Yea Forumstards can't handle that fact.
>i dont need to define what i like and dont like
You don't need to but it just proves you shouldn't communicate your ideas then if you can't explain yourself. Ad hominem doesn't equal an argument by the way.
You too.

>this guy is bad
>why
>WORDS ARE STUPID COPE AUTIST LOL HE'S JUST SHIT MUH NOTES BAD MUH SOUL GOOD
Never change Yea Forums, your "music" ""discussion"" truly is such that you deserve your own board.

Attached: images (1).jpg (252x200, 13K)

shut up gaycob

>>what definitions would you use!?!?!
who are you quoting

imagine desperately defending a youtube meme musician on Yea Forums

>le ole capital letters dumb guy vs lowercase master intellectual

Imagine defending Yea Forums's way of """discourse"""

Attached: 1562222075926.jpg (1024x682, 169K)

imagine not liking Yea Forums

imagine not liking Yea Forums but posting on Yea Forums, reaction pics and all

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here huh buddy

Imagine thinking this hack can compare to the greats like nirvana and pixies

LOL

Attached: 1556672702998.png (258x544, 130K)

Oh I like Yea Forums for the shitposting but not the actual discussions about music and musicians. Most of the people obviously lack any sort of knowledge in the field and it's laughable when they try to prove that an artist is good or bad.

>prove an artist is good or bad

Attached: 1555696744172.png (205x246, 4K)

yes that

maybe reddit is more your speed

you are literally stupid

based

>le 'buddy' putdown

he is talented and his music is amazing
Yea Forums can suck cocks idc

Get Phoenix in here now!

Anyone have that copypasta where he is in his room arguing with his mom?

>I like Yea Forums for the shitposting
Go back

The majority of people don't know, or even care to understand music theory. This gentleman is beyond talented. A virtuoso? I don't think so. He sees music like most of see the answer to a simple math problem. It's remarkable, but it will never catch on. Only music aficionados will truly respect his ability. He'll rise within that elite community. Most of us will just be amazed by his ability to play any instrument and sing well. His music is too complex for most to appreciate. It's really sad. He's creating amazingly complex music, but people rather hear a simple song with 3 chords. Simple rhythm. Verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure. With lyrics that a 3rd grader can comprehend. I love music. I'm learning theory. Jacob is light years ahead of me. Unfortunately for me, his music doesn't give me the tingles like other music does. Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Radiohead, Dire Straights, Chicago or a ridiculous Jerry Garcia guitar solo gets me going. I hope Jacob stays out of the mainstream and continues to share music that makes him genuinely smile. That's all that matters.

*plays double bass in a four piece "Parisian café, folk, jazz, klezmer and tango" band with his mother and two other literally who's at 15 in your path*
youtube.com/watch?v=ClPXOQLGIko

Attached: jacob_collier.jpg (500x295, 146K)

Jordi?

Nuh uh

Attached: 45180_320.jpg (270x320, 22K)

he's not bad looking by any measure but after listening to his music i find him impossible to be attracted to. he's as sexless as a Disney prince

Attached: JacobCollier_0.jpg (800x666, 81K)

he's just a soulless straight sufajn

What's a song you'd show someone if you were to introduce them to Jacob Collier
How good is he though?

Yeah bro the critics loved nirvana because of their technicality