I want to learn music theory, because I know how much it will improve my music. But the thing Is...

I want to learn music theory, because I know how much it will improve my music. But the thing Is, I just don't know where to start. There always seems to be so much stuff

Attached: 182246_23c0_3.jpg (750x422, 90K)

Start with how chords are built, and the cycle of 5ths

idiot. just literally go to musictheory.net and learn shit. its not hard. start with scales. intervals. note recognition. chords. how to read sheet music, you're playing yourself by procrastinating on this.

is this how you learned?

OpenMusicTheory, Teoria, and Musictheory.net all have well set out curricula that build from the foundations up. Supplement any of those with ear-training exercises and applying what you learn on your instrument, and you should make pretty quick progress.

-1st buy fl studio, its all you need at 1st
-2nd make a kick/snare rythem
-invite some producers over to hang out and get them to help get a melody / bassline idea
-3rd get some studio time,
4th, get some experienced producers to work with you durring your session(s)
5th let them do whatever they want to the song to make it good.
6th DONE! you have a new song you can upload online and start blowing up.

-Dubbi

None of that is related to learning music theory.

i'm a composer, made music for years by ear before learning notation and theory

my advice:
1) learn all notation quirks and anatomy of sheet music
2) learn about what tonality is about (tonic, dominant relationship) and DEFINITELY understand that it is a style that was dominant in the west for quite some time, but it is not the end of music
3) learn about rhythm, do exercises etc
4) listen, listen, listen!!! to a ton of music. not just that which you like (but definitely that) and listen critically. you have to know what you like, and once you do, start analyzing it over and over

there are many more things but htis hsould get you off to a good start. all the websites posted in this thread are good, follow that curriculum as well, and most importantly - do not give up. you are not too stupid to learn anything, it just takes time. read books about composition written by composers (i could recommend some) and keep going that way

HAHAHA holy sh1t you newbies don't know anything! You obviously just play guitar or piano or something like that and have absolutely NO experience in the studio making music. Propper production IS music theory put to WORK. playing the same 3 songs in your bedroom will teach you NOTHING about music theory. Without propper usuage of production (which IS theory being used) you're making lofi sounds , but not music...Years ago the music industry was deregulated and lofi became a thing. So I dunno what you think you're doing by being a legit response to the things real musicians like me do to stop the degeneration of music. And for real bro, lofi? Come on......Bro, "lofi" isn't a safeword to avoid criticism on EQing and mastering. It's not just to clean up sound quality, EQ is to make space for all the elements to fit together. If multiple elements of a mix occupy similar frequency ranges and attempt to fit into the same space, the result will often sound muddy, and basically just a MESS, it doesn't sound "indie" or whatever you shmucks say its like, its just embarrassing.

You 2 are just talking shit

are you serious? i'm and i'm serious, i don't know what that other shitter is on about.

i'm giving you some decent advice because i, like you, started making music by ear and eventually felt the need to learn theory to improve.

the guy talking about mixing has a point but it has nothing to do with what the OP asked about

Shut the fuck up already. I can't deal with your shit. I want to learn it quick and easy, not a dumb old outdated way. I'm literally going to fucking scream.

so because something is hard and some retard trolled you, you're going to shit your pants and scream like a baby? there is no quick and easy dipshit. goodbye retardo

im
but he gave you pretty good advice. yes i learned music theory with that website and the sites mentioned. this is probably what you're looking for. it has tools for learning on there, like a note recognition quiz which is particularly useful. just do that and if you're really devoted/have money get lessons

Wow thanks for ruining the thread.

I think Dubbi ruined the thread.

>I want to learn music theory, because I know how much it will improve my music

Attached: 1554214681950.png (258x544, 130K)

Music theory lets you have a decent understanding of what you're doing and can give you more ideas for when you're in a rut. People who insist it's actively bad to know this are just intimidated by the idea of practicing. Theory itself is neutral, it exists in every musician with or without their knowledge. It's like math. And it's rarely only the chord progression and it's not just knowing your major and minor scales and you're done for life. It's a lot of elements at once. It's the gesture. It's the arrangement. It's the development. It's the form, the structure. It's the way the harmony and melody come together. It's the choice of instruments. It's the lyrics, even, and the rhythm, tone, texture and colour. It allows you to reverse engineer things, which is a very useful skill to have. The only way to break the rules knowingly and accordingly is to know all the rules first. This has been proven time and time again by classical composers who analysed works of their predecessors and most of them have been a part of institutionalised education.

The idea that theory could be a negative knowledge comes from a bullshit romantic notion that good art is purely unconscious or emotional and that systematization and logic are antithetical to it. Intuition alone could never result in the monstrous feat of borderline engineering that is a great symphony.

The theories of psychoacoustics, biomusicology and so on indicate that there are certain musical and sound qualities we find pleasing regardless of cultural bias. A trained musician would be much more familiar with these and thus able to subvert and play with them. There's a reason classical music is much, much more interesting than the various folk musics of the world.

>Theory is useless.
so you basically reinvent an inferior version of the wheel via years of trial and error, and that's somehow better than just learning how to use a wheel?

Music theory actually helps a lot in letting the songs breathe, non musicians wouldn't understand it because they have this stupid concept of theory only being useful for creating complicated chord progressions or pretentious melodic lines but really it's kind of the other way around, if you know your theory you can make 3 chord songs that blow minds (Radiohead do it all the time).

So here's my actual answer OP: learn the basic shit like major and minor chords, scales, progressions, rhythms, basic textures etc., you can do that on online courses and videos, but DON'T stop there because you're only at 1% and that won't help you much because people have been using major and minor chords and scales and basic bitch music elements since the fucking 18th century, never stop learning; study scores, read sheet music while listening to music, play around with your preferred DAW by simply drawing graphically pleasing scores/melodies/rhythms, improvise, transcribe by ear, read fictional and non-fictional (music theory or music psychology) music literature etc. All of this will help you in the end because the goal of music theory is understanding and interpreting music; it will obviously give you the tools to compose better, but in the end you also have to write a ton of shit before anything sounds remotely good, it's just practice. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Also take this cheat sheet for starters as well.

Attached: music-theory-cheat-sheet-1508254380 (1).jpg (2048x1302, 385K)

Radiohead are shit in my honest opinion but nonetheless you are still correct. Theory is a descriptive tool to help you transcribe your feelings and thoughts into coherent thoughts, using correct terminology that other musical people understand, and actual music as well.

This is just fucking dumb, it doesn't have anything to do with theory (I'm a music production student)

The 12 chromatic notes. How to construct the major scale (root, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, then a half step back to the root) learn that there are seven triads to be derived from it
1 is major
2 is minor
3 is minor
4 is major
5 is major
6 is minor
7 is diminished
Triads are constructed based on stack thirds
C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
Are the notes of Cmaj

Now Cmaj is CEG, see that pattern? It’s skips every other note
Now Dm is DFA same pattern
Now Em is EGB same pattern

To extend the chords in the traditional manner with thirds you’ll continue with the pattern.
Now learn what the circle of 5ths is, see G is the 5th note? G is Cmajs fifth. Their scales are the same Except C majors 4th (F) is sharpened to F#
Now G major
Is GABCDEF#G
Same pattern for constructing triads?
Now you see G majors 5th D?
Same scale except to get D sharpen G majors 4th (C) to C#

Now you have Dmaj
DEF#GABC#

That’s an easy application of the circle of fifths. Now look at Dmaj scale, the 4th is G? Remember how G has one less sharp? Now look at Gmaj scale, it’s fourth is C, remember how C has one less sharp? Basically you flatten the 7th note C# in Dmajs case and you go back to G, F# in Gmajs case and you go back to C. Really simple. Take from this basic thing what you will.

Just learn your triads, basic progressions and the major scale to get an idea of how things are made and what key you’re in etc.
then from there you’ll learn more and more

Haha I'm not such a Radiohead fan so I don't really mind your words, just thought it would be a good example because of the band's dynamic (Yorke records a basic 3 chord piano demo and Greenwood uses his theory knowledge while making the arrangement to give the song coherence).

yes, but why?

Idk namefag explain to the twelve tone equal temperament system to me and the mathematic ratios betweens intervals that makes them sound the way do, explain consonance, explain dissonance, explain everything regarding western musical tradition

that what I asked you to do.

I only do percussion.

Idk bro I’m not a fucking nerd, I don’t need to get into the mathematical meta of an established system. I’m not trying be some avant-garde composer making shit music. We build off of thirds cause that’s tradition. It’s how sheet is written. The intervals are consonant to westerners. That’s all that matters unless you want to start making experimental music with your own tunings and scales based on whatever arithmetical music theory. I don’t need to delve into the minutiae of simple patterns and understand exactly why. I don’t need to the harmonic series. I’m not a mathematician. Just need to know about harmony, rhythm, and melody. And that can be intuited, and is far more interesting than the absolutely logical aspect and the history is too esoteric for me to delve into. But by all means find out.

im too tired to shitpost about this, but I will say hey cool down, you just seemed like a knowledgeable guy.
don't have kids.

protip: high iq chads don't need no pussy "theory", they just figure out things on their own

back to the cuck shed, fantano

These threads are literally just people
boasting and probably grandstanding. Most of the stuff they suggest people learn is too advanced for a beginner. Id suggest anyone wanting to learning look at the specifications of a music theory exam board and get appropriate textbooks or get online content for the stuff for that appropriate level from pregrade upward.

this is just something that virgins tell themselves to rationalise not learning music theory

youtube the basics.
maybe start with michael new, his stuff is pretty entry level