Modern prog, prog metal, etc., - all prog that doesn't sound like 70's prog - isn't prog and shouldn't be called prog...

Modern prog, prog metal, etc., - all prog that doesn't sound like 70's prog - isn't prog and shouldn't be called prog. Prog is a sound and an aesthetic more than a list of attributes, e.g. "rock with key changes". Gryphon has JACK SHIT to do with Dream Theater and they should not be in the same genre, and they aren't - modern prog and prog metal aren't prog. Only 70's prog is prog.

Attached: prog-02.2014-cover-2.jpg (2112x2853, 1.19M)

nice, the incel containment thread

>he’s actually that retarded

Attached: 3951DA43-D7B5-4636-8370-4BE7D7EA60B7.jpg (828x466, 119K)

>unironically doesn't understand why Steven Wilson sucks

so is henry cow still prog even though it doesn’t sound like 70s prog? is cheer-accident not prog for the sole reason they’re not from the 70s? I bet you’re a huge rush fan

Steve’s real talent is knowing how the fuck to remaster albums.

Henry Cow does sound like 70's prog.
>cheer-accident not prog for the sole reason they’re not from the 70s?
No. Read the OP. It is prog because it sounds like 70's prog, which is what prog actually is.

Not universally. The Tull remasters are great. The CTTE remaster is unbelievably bad and he entirely misses the point of what that music is trying to communicate.

The CTTE remaster is fantastic, detailed and really well mastered. Don’t tell me you’re that retard from a while back who was complaining about how bad it was because one section sounded bad on his shitty M50x headphones.

Nope. M50x is a horrible headphone. CTTE remix/master is horrible. He destroys any semblance of atmosphere and shoves a LOUD ASS mono center vocal in front of everything as though it were an album of little pop ditties or a 90's pop rock band. Listen to any quiet section on the remix/master. Now listen to the SACD master (the best master IMO). There's no comparison. He absolutely gutted the music and apparently doesn't understand what's even good about it.

Anderson’s voice isn’t even mixed that loudly. I can hear the backing vocals and the rest of the instruments just fine. Are you sure your transducer isn’t just midsy as fuck?

>I can hear the backing vocals and the rest of the instruments just fine
>I can still hear the other parts so the lead vocal isn't too loud for the context
What kind of standard is that? I'm talking about the atmosphere and aesthetics of the mix. Being able to hear the elements is the absolute lowest bar of a passable mix, not something that makes a mix "fantastic". Destroying the atmosphere of a mix by balancing an elaborate, symphonic prog, rock ensemble as though it were a power trio is a failure. The remix is a failure and ruins the music.

The atmosphere is completely untouched from the original vinyl mate. You’re out of your depth, quit seething over Wilson.

>I'm incapable of hearing
Yeah. Figured. Even if you think the atmosphere is improved because you're an idiot, it's clearly not "untouched" from the original pressing (which was a bad master and isn't the one I'm referencing, as I explained, btw). The whole fucking mix is screwed with. Things are panned, volume levels are changed, he got rid of 60% of all the reverb on the album, obviously it's not "untouched" and you're an absolute fanboy retard.

I never commented on improvements or not, I said it retained the same feel as the original pressing, which is usually what remasters aim to be a direct improvement from.
>which was a bad master and isn't the one I'm referencing
Yeah yeah you’re shilling your shitty SACD that no one cares about, gotcha.
>he got rid of 60% of all the reverb on the album
It’s almost like unnecessary reverb makes shit murky and difficult to listen to. Really makes you think.
>you're an absolute fanboy retard.
I know when to criticize Wilson’s remasters but CTTE is hardly one of them.

Yes. You caught me. I work for Audio Fidelity and my job is to convince at least 1 person per year to buy a used copy of the SACD of Close to the Edge which isn't available through any retailer and has been out of print for years.

>well yeah he got rid of al the reverb but the atmosphere is untouched bro
yeah, I already established that you're talking out of your ass and have no point. Thanks.

Agree. Same with Krautrock, if it's not german and from the 60s/70s it's not Kraut.

Hey man, if you’re gonna go ahead and accuse yourself of being a shill not much I can do. Your words, not mine.
>yeah, I already established that you're talking out of your ass and have no point. Thanks.
Oh wow because removing some reverb means you literally nuke everything relating to reverb out of existence. You must know a lot about audio engineering.

I don’t think cheer-accident sounds like 70s prog at all but it is prog nonetheless. and I don’t entitled think henry cow sounds wholly 70s. that was the point of my post. time of orchids, another more modern prog that is distinctly modern and not linked to the 70s sound.

>Prog is a sound and an aesthetic more than a list of attributes

you are everything wrong with prog

OP out here listening to Eloy and Starcastle without realizing he's embodying the exact opposite of prog's values