EDDIE TRUNK

Get in here hard rock and heavy metal fans, this is for discussion of the best of hard rock and heavy metal. KISS, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, UFO, etc.

Let's get stuff started with Eddie's top 20 KISS songs

1: Detroit Rock City
2: Deuce (live )
3: Strutter
4: Love Gun
5: Black Diamond (Live)
6: King Of The Nightime World
7: Mr Speed
8: Got To Choose
9: Flaming Youth
10: Rock Bottom (live)
11: Cmon & Love Me
12: Creatures Of The Night
13: 100,000 Years
14: Magic Touch
15: I Want You
16: Strange Ways
17: Rocket Ride
18: Larger Than Life
19: A Million To One
20: Love Her All I Can

His daily show on SiriusXFM (2-4pm eastern) fucking rules. Just pure rock talk

Attached: 1561684281252.png (1279x988, 1.7M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NRYSlLLU0RE
youtube.com/watch?v=gfiOxDd-dhM
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/88712335/#q88713844
eddietrunk.com/about/favorites/
youtu.be/mVp2P2G4nbI
youtube.com/watch?v=e1UUBBnOTC8
youtube.com/watch?v=Rxo1OpwbNWs
youtube.com/watch?v=lynAhYQgoeE
youtube.com/watch?v=fL6uYfOBx4E
youtube.com/watch?v=zIjDpq0CK0A
youtube.com/watch?v=BeO0GVy01GI
youtube.com/watch?v=4EiczfElzho
youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qMJhOPV27dA
youtube.com/watch?v=Guapdkue43w
youtube.com/watch?v=yM9vCiB5Hkc
washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/04/04/how-a-black-college-dance-troupe-landed-a-decades-old-fleetwood-mac-song-on-the-billboard-charts/?noredirect=on
youtube.com/watch?v=N7IbJ_5SFN4
youtube.com/watch?v=rKwudnfB6GM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

GET EM EDDIE!

>tfw you haven't been truly moved by a new album since AFD
>tfw you only listen to the same 20 bands and albums on repeat
Dat sad.

GO TRUNK!!

Eddie Trunk loves Marilyn Manson, which I find odd.

Oh uhh...GO TRUNK!

More like Eddie Skunk, because his opinions stink.

what kind of retard over 15 likes KISS?, such pleb

Fuck you, I'm 29 and I love KISS, I'm certainly over 15, and I'll kick your ass!

Attached: KISS_ALL+HELLS+BREAKIN+LOOSE-417450.jpg (500x500, 56K)

>yup, that's Paul Stanley and Bruce Kulick...yep, I'm here, right behind them.

Attached: eddietrunkkiss.jpg (612x406, 56K)

Trunkcore heads unite!

BASED

>favorite band is KISS
How does this man have a career?

What's wrong with that? KISS is a great band. Who's your favorite band?

Attached: geneisbloody.jpg (750x924, 102K)

they never returned, sad

He is a coward. Every single time a KISS hater appears I ask them the same thing and not a single one has answered.

You can tell yourselves whatever you want, Kissfags.

>still doesn't say his favorite band
>knows his band will be torn to shreds within seconds by the "Kissfags" he claims superiority over

>his band will be torn to shreds within seconds
Sure thing, Eddie

My name isn't Eddie, dude, you've got the wrong guy sorry man. Who's your band bro?

That Metal Show was kino

It really was

Fagola

Checked

Attached: kisssolo.jpg (1024x1024, 200K)

>you hurt my feefee and made me mad give me something to insult
grow the fuck up kid

Stop listening to Radiohead, faggot.

never started faggot, keep trying

Sharon Osbourne is a cunt

Hey Eddie, I’ve got a question
What’s the best UFO album, lights out or phenomenon

hes gone
probably rimming lenny

Damn

Thoughts on Eddie's favorites?

Attached: 1559881170223.png (1487x1400, 3.08M)

Pretty great, except his favorite is caress of steel, NOT permanent waves

Honestly he gives a lot of props where they are due that literally nobody else would talk about. Even if he might love a little buttrock because he's older and just loves the idea of modern bands playing into older influences, he gives White Lion credit....you can't be mad at that, nobody talks about fucking White Lion other than this guy. Trunk is not concerned with trends, that's why he is based.

Also, shameful of him to think Blizzard of Ozz is better than Diary of a Madman if that's a real actual list of his favorites.

are they in order?
cause I could never put def leppard above anything else on that chart

How could you not put Def Leppard above the likes of Buckcherry, Winery Dogs, and Alter Bridge

Also, Diary isn't even on the list, I just don't get how anyone prefers Blizzard of Ozz to that one, it's so much better. Blizzard of Ozz had Mr. Crowley and to me that's the only thing that makes it better, but the whole album doesn't average out as better to me.

Attached: diary.jpg (355x355, 27K)

because i have never liked def leppard. ever.
ok maybe they are better than bryan adams...

youtube.com/watch?v=NRYSlLLU0RE
youtube.com/watch?v=gfiOxDd-dhM
Do you not like this kind of Def Leppard? Their later stuff is more the uber pop over produced stuff (which I like with no shame) but they started out as pretty hard rocking, you like the guys who wrote Crazy Bitch more than this stuff?

This guy thinks rock died after GNR

Any modern shit he likes is trash (Alter Bridge, Greta Van Fleet, The Struts, etc)

*craaack*
*sip*

I swear, this dude is Dave Grohl's long-lost twin brother.

He seems more like one of "those" people who's more attracted to the memory of losing his virginity in the 11th grade to 80s power ballads than the music in of itself. You all know the kind.

its better than pyromania by a good margin, but still not good. maybe if I hadnt heard iron maiden first ...
and yeah, buckcherry makes me laugh alot, they are just a bunch of fucking retards

Smug and douchey as fuck.

Faggot but it is kind of cool how he roasts KISS over a spit for peddling a fake Ace and Peter.

I don't pay much attention to him now but I used to really like his old show on WNEW in New York. Basically the same thing he's doing now, but I'm just saying I can see why people don't like him but I don't ever join in on the bashing (on kissfaq they're relentless) because I used to be a faithful listener.

I know of him through The Metal Show (saw most of the episodes). Get the impression all the musicians he met think he's a cunt. Never trust anyone who only listens to a single genre of music. I remember the time some guest on his show mentioned Jethro Tull and he got all quiet as a mouse (yes we know they screwed Metallica out of that Grammy).

But that's not fair. He also likes The Raspberries and Soul Asylum.

Neat so he owns a Greatest Hits CD of both bands (most likely).

>KISS is a great band
They were not musically great. The sucked raw ass compared to their other contemporary hard rock bands. If they didnt dress like clowns you never would have heard their music.

Based or cringe?

Attached: 843apwn4ioz01.jpg (2048x2048, 364K)

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/88712335/#q88713844

Don't I remember this same exact post from two days ago?

I'll rep hard rock until I die, but I can't for the life of me get into Kiss. Their first album is cool, and Ace Frehley is a legitimately good musician, but I'm not gonna be able to shake their over-the-top merchandising, or Gene Simmons.

Anyways though, anyone have some favorite live albums that come close to Strangers in the Night? I don't think it gets better than that. Might just be the best live album ever.

Strawman. Its still a factual statement. The truth never rests.

He's basically the dude with the Winger shirt on Beavis & Butthead.

He always went on about the clueless hall. But when he had Paul Rogers on he forgot Paul Kossoff in the quiz on guitarists. Very very very clueless. Kossoff is a true legend to me. He and all of us like what we like but he and all of us can be clueless just like the hall. The Kossoff thing just killed me. And he also loves every 80s metal group no matter how awful it was. He loves Y&T though, and Kings X so he likes some good stuff. Just not much. But I love to watch him and listen to him interview someone like Leslie West who get a long interview. Don't dig the gossipy stuff.

Cringe. Would be hard pressed to get a slaphappySammy song in the top 20...but sure as hell not sappy keyboard ladened love songs about aliens.

but Trunk loves Sammy and kisses his ass daily.

Lucky guy. He's making a living doing what he loves.

Sure but like others have said he's pretty cringy overall and comes off as a massive douche.

sammy is pals with him, he sucks the dick of all his musician friends

if paul or gene went on his show hed never rip kiss as hard

this, coulda been cool without the VanHagar
but its there, so hes a douche

Loves the sound of his own voice, has done jack-all for the music he champions really.

4/20 songs being Hagar and all 16-20 isnt that big of a deal

I kind of agree but I think he kept certain corners of metal in the public eye as much as would ever be possible.

At the same time I've played in bands in my local scene and there's a lot of interesting recent developments he hasn't touched. It is a fault of his that he doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of anything much after Cherry Pie and new bands come up grudgingly if at all.

I miss Box of Junk, she was hot.

I'm not a metal fan, but I really enjoyed TMS --it was a show where dedicated fans (including the hosts, the guests and the studio audience) talked about music and it felt like a community. I'd watch it, learn something, and say "I wish there was a show like this for indie/punk/prog or, like, actual guitars."

Thing is, even when they switched coasts, the show didn't really evolve or develop in any meaningful way. It ran its course, and it was kind of settled in after a while - interview an actual legend, interview some random 80s band dudes, and then argue about KISS and the Rock Hall. Kinda got to be lather-rinse-repeat. Jamison and Florentine were the ones who kept it interesting, as much as Trunk was a wealth of knowledge.

How was it supposed to evolve? Maybe it could have become more interactive with the online audience, but other than that? The show probably wouldn't have worked with a change of hosts and classic rock by definition is static and literally dying. At least two guests (Jani Lane and Ronnie Dio) died after appearing on the show. New rock classics are hardly developing either, because rock as a genre has dwindled from the mainstream. I guess you can only talk about Powerslave or Shout at the Devil so many times. But what show doesn't lose steam after several seasons? I don't think Eddie did anything wrong. Now if I had to listen to Eddie by himself for an hour or more, I too might complain.

Crazy idea....talk about modern metal/rock

The problem with guys like Trunk (or Cuckgau for that matter) is that they don’t understand the basics of music composition and to be a position like he is it would be helpful to understand a bit about songwriting. In the interview, Trunk himself seems to acknowledge that Ozzy does his own vocal melodies, yet doesn’t seem to understand that this is a part of music composition.

The point is that to say Ozzy has always been better as a collaborative writer and benefited from working with great songwriters is arguably true, but to go around saying he doesn’t really write at all is stupid. It is inconsistent with what we know from his band mates from Sabbath on through to his solo career and even including Bob Daisley, who has never made such a claim.

Maybe Trunk has stopped with that nonsense. I really don’t listen to the guy.

>modern "rock" ie waifu b8 dreampop songers with nu male musicians
How about not?

I took Airey's comments a little differently, the tone to me was deferential. I value your opinions on Sabbath, but I'm personally not bothered by this. I don't think Airey expected credit, particularly since he understood that money was tight. Daisley IMO has a real case. I don't take Trunk that serious. I like the dirt more than the hero worship. I'm a fan of the music with Ozzy, but not of him as a person so much. Ozzy is indeed a collaborator. I didn't need Trunk to explain Ozzy's greatness to me. No fun in that.

It's cool he loves the underappreciated UFO so much, but at the same time he also deludes himself into thinking they're still making good music when their last decent album was Misdemeanor, which he doesn't like.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing. Trunk goes around saying Ozzy doesn’t write. Whether Airey or anybody who has ever worked with him and even including Daisley, nobody has ever made that claim. He has always done his own vocal melodies which is a part of songwriting. All Airey did is set Trunk straight on that. Hopefully it clicked with him.

Here are his favorites: eddietrunk.com/about/favorites/

I can't really fault him. Cheap Trick, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica, UFO, Def Leppard, Anthrax, Van Halen, AC/DC, and Aerosmith are all great bands. But what I can't sympathize with is how he never got into the innovative older stuff, or the great newer stuff it led to. He seems completely unaware that Celtic Frost ever happened, or at least he doesn't care. It seems like every major band from Napalm Death to Emperor means nothing to him. He went straight from 70s hard rock to the cheesiest, worst pseudo-metal possible, and his favorite more recent bands include Tesla, Buckcherry, and shit like that. The only time he talks about newer stuff it tends to be bands like Korn. It's kinda sad.

And imagine dressing like this in front of a giant audience.

Attached: clothes.jpg (1200x797, 766K)

For one thing, as I said above, Eddie seems like he just can't get out of his high school years and acknowledge anything newer than the 70s-80s. Which, that stuff has its devoted fans, and I personally find it interesting to discuss. Also, there were (to my knowledge) never full live performances from anyone - just someone from a band to play out a solo to the commercial break. So it became pretty wash-rinse. If they wanted to extend to an hour and have it work, they would have had to expand out of the classic rock/80s metal feedback loop, and maybe feature some live performances.

Just because that's popular doesn't mean there still isn't hard rock and heavy metal coming out. A lot of this stuff really deserves a boost in popularity. An example I could give is the band Haunt. Well, band is a stretch I guess because it's all written by one guy, but it's performed live with multiple people. Really good Maiden inspired shit.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

>Around 1986, Trunk became an employee of Megaforce Records[3] which had signed both Metallica and Anthrax. He became vice president of the company at age 25. During that time, he earned executive producer credit on some works from bands like Anthrax, Raven, T.T. Quick, Manowar, Overkill, King's X, Prophet, Icon and Ace Frehley. In fact, Trunk was the main driving force behind reviving Ace Frehley's career,[3] convincing Megaforce Records head Jon Zazula to sign Frehley to a solo deal.

I guess Ghost are kind of a semi-popular modern metal act. Doubt he'll give them much attention though.

He's still mentally 14.

>yeah brah your music sux here go put on some UFO and Maiden that's real shit mang

I'll probably be the only non-Ameican commenting on this thread. I know of him via his radio programmes and I'd agree with all of the comments, positive and negative, made so far.

I enjoy his passion for hard rock and KISS in particular. 'Outsize' personality DJs of his kind don't really exist in the UK any more. I suspect he is making more out of his 'friendships' with the likes of Ace Frehley and Peter Criss than is actually there.

As a one-time citizen of northwest England who doesn't like the Smiths or Joy Division/New Order, I can empathise with him as a New Jersey native who doesn't like Springsteen.

>As a one-time citizen of northwest England who doesn't like the Smiths or Joy Division/New Order, I can empathise with him as a New Jersey native who doesn't like Springsteen.
The difference is, you can dislike the Smiths and Joy Division and still have good taste. You can't dislike Springsteen and have good taste.

Yeah he does give off that vibe. Back when I still subscribed to Sirius/XM I'd occasionally come across his radio show and I remember one of his favorite talking points was how the metal community are faggots for not being interested in whatever new shitty album that KISS or Slayer or UFO puts out and moving on to newer acts. The idea of a metal-themed radio show was conceptually cool but all it amounted to in the end was Eddie having a nostalgia wank to his childhood music. Metal has evolved into so many interesting new directions in the last quarter century and he either ignores them completely or doesn't like them. He doesn't really care about anything after the Reagan years and has a "Metal lost its way and it's all your fault" mentality despite all the groundbreaking stuff to have come out since 1990. It was little more than a vehicle for him to meet his childhood rock heroes. Even the trivia segment of the show did not involve his guests and only asked him questions to feed his ego despite most of the questions being pre-scripted questions written by his staff or Trunk himself.

I lost a lot of respect for this self-proclaimed metal enthusiast when he admitted the only Deep Purple album he owned was a Greatest Hits CD. Besides, I don't really share his love of KISS and UFO.

VH1 Classic had little to no budget for the show, so they couldn't have had any live music played other than the random solos from the guest players due to the licensing fees.

Friend of mine met Eddie a couple of times but the one that sticks in my mind was when he asked him a UFO question that he got wrong and it wasn't even that obscure. Where's the grab bag prize for that blunder?

>Where's the grab bag prize for that blunder?
Congratulations, you may choose either a Ratt Greatest Hits CD or a Quiet Riot Live 2015 Tour DVD.

>I lost a lot of respect for this self-proclaimed metal enthusiast when he admitted the only Deep Purple album he owned was a Greatest Hits CD
Man that's pretty bad if it's true.

Eddie's annoying as fuck. And a bit of a hypocrite. He was just recently on one of those rock cruises paying homage to third-rate 80s acts, but he wants Ozzy to hang it up? Not sure Ozzy is ruining his legacy. I think his is set in stone.

Trunk has admitted to making these appearances because he needs them to make a living. If Ozzy was in the same room with Trunk he would be a total dicksuck to him like all the other artists he talks smack about just so he can say their his best friends or to make a buck. He’s fake as fuck.

This is such an old saw. I've heard people telling rock stars to retire since the 80s. I mean, Paul McCartney can still fill arenas in his 70s so what's wrong with him continuing to tour as long as he wants to and his health holds up?

I agree, but it's not merely that Ozzy is washed up and should quit, he's had some pretty serious health issues lately and it's not likely he'll be doing any live performances this year. If you actually listen to the video you may be surprised to find Trunk's opinion is very reflective of yours.

Man, I saw Chuck Berry in 2012 and it was painful to watch. I didn't need to see the father of rock and roll like that.

Trunk kinda sucks, How many times did he waste precious interview time talking
about himself?

I guess he's not wrong about the bullshit of KISS passing off two random faggots as Ace and Peter.

Trunk always seemed really whiny to me. He seemed to have little temper tantrums from time to time over the silliest things. Sometimes when he disagreed over something he would get this tone in his voice that would irritate me. He sounded like a spoiled 10 year old who isn't getting his way.

The other two hosts were ok I guess. The show itself had a good concept but I would have enjoyed it more if it were a little more diverse. I love the 80s, but there is so much more in metal then what this show offered.

I find that Volume on 106 has some interesting discussions. Eddie Trunk also has a program on Hair Nation that airs on Mondays. Whether it's the same show he does for Volume I'm unsure. I used to like him a lot but he stopped caring about new music in 1988 when he could be doing a lot for younger bands trying to break into the business. Maybe it's me, I just don't care about the new Ratt album and I don't need another interview with a member of Krokus.

To his credit I recall him interviewing Mastodon, A7X, and Corey Taylor which at least is a break from yet another discussion of Ace Frehley or Saxon.

He does give time to newer bands and he even had Greta Van Fleet on. Also it's cool how he gives these legacy acts a chance to promote their new album because who else will do it? No radio station is going to play the stuff while you can find all the stations you like that cover newer bands. The thing that Eddie needs to do differently though is give the bands a bit more room to talk when he’s interviewing them. He tends to step on them a bit when they’re trying to talk. He also cuts callers off to soon also when they’re trying to have a discussion with him. I should know, I’ve called into his show to discuss some stuff and I have to get my point out quickly or else he’ll cut me off. That’s a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

IDK it's just...I've never understood aging rednecks on kissfaqs who collect the stupid action figures and lunchboxes. It's time to put the 6th grade behind you.

Wasn't the 90s reunion tour mostly because they really really needed money?

KISS sold 6 million records in the first half of the 90s. Paul and Gene controlled the band's finances. I grant you that Ace and Peter were totally flat broke, but no one who was currently involved with the band was hurting financially in 1995.

Attached: this is a load of barnacles...jpg (480x360, 16K)

I made Trunk's chart

Attached: trunk.jpg (1960x1330, 513K)

I should say _this_ is a load of barnacles. You _don't_ know the story of Paul Stanley's therapist being hired as their manager and him running off with all the proceeds from the Hot In The Shade tour?

Also when they did the reunion tour they had to literally steal back their old costumes and makeup kits.

fucking based

Trunk general will save Yea Forums

Listening to him on my SirusXM app now

FWIW they'd stopped paying for the storage space for their costumes in the mid-80s under the assumption that they were never going to use them again and the people in possession of the costumes legally owned the things. The only ones stealing were the band themselves. Rather than making offers to buy them back, they claimed them to be stolen, knowing that the owners didn't have the revenue or resources to fight The Kiss Company.

Also on what planet did KISS sell 6 million records in the early 90s? Revenge barely reached gold status probably due to Brazilians and other Third Worlders buying it and the tour was very expensive with a lot of stage gimmicks and ended up playing to half-empty venues. They called the thing off after 2-1/2 months due to lack of interest. Polygram reluctantly released Alive III, but refused to put it out as anything but a single CD, not the deluxe package that the band was touting in the months leading up to its release. Alive III went gold.

Trust me, they were _strapped_ for cash in 1995. They could have played theaters but their egos were too big for that. Instead they opted to do the Convention tour, which was fantastic, of course. I love that era of Kiss but I'm not going to pretend they were in great shape. The reunion they always said would never happen happened for a reason.

Spend enough time at Kiss conventions and on fan sites, you'll understand. There are some really...uhh...dedicated fans out there. The kind of people who choose to buy the most expensive Kiss crap instead of paying the mortgage or taking care of their kids' needs. I've been around these people most of my life and I've seen this stuff first hand. It runs rampant with Kiss fans.

There's something about Kiss that inspires people to make some really poor financial decisions, though. This recent $3000 guitar strap thing (and the other offerings) are certainly bringing this into a brighter light than before.

I've never sympathized with this greedy merchandising mindset. I remember Howard Stern always said he didn't want to sell merch (coffee mugs, doormats, etc) even back in his 90s heyday because he thought it was crass to do so and he was making a comfortable enough living from his radio show. That was a potential fuckton of money he could have made but didn't.

Speak of the devil, but there's no way I would go and see any 21st century version of KISS. Blech. I paid $35 to see them in 2001 during the alleged farewell tour and it sucked. I'd had my share. Saw them during the late 90s reunion tours and they were ok but clearly past their time.

I saw Ace in 08 after he'd gotten sobered up and had a young, enthusiastic backing band who really tore the house up. Great show.

Spending $75 or more for a bullshit nostalgia trip to relive your teen years seems pretty sad. I prefer to live in and enjoy the present. This is why I don't bother seeing most nostalgia acts. There are so many current bands worth spending your money on instead.

Speak of the devil, but there's no way I would go and see any 21st century version of KISS. Blech. I paid $35 to see them in 2001 during the alleged farewell tour (front row seats I might add) and it sucked. I'd had my share. Saw them during the late 90s reunion tours and they were ok but clearly past their time.

I saw Ace in 08 after he'd gotten sobered up and had a young, enthusiastic backing band who really tore the house up. Great show but I'd never want to see him now.

Spending $75 or more for a bullshit nostalgia trip to relive your teen years seems pretty sad. I prefer to live in and enjoy the present. This is why I don't bother seeing most nostalgia acts. There are so many current bands worth spending your money on instead.

Genuinely curious but what about Ace's recent shows do you not like? Did he get back on the bottle or is it something else?

IDK but since 2010 he just seems senile, out of it, and possibly half-deaf. His recent albums are bland as fuck and he doesn't seem to care a whole lot about the quality of his live performances. Yeah he recently picked up Gene's band but they seem pretty bland compared with the lineups he had in the late 2000s.

I mean, age does catch up with everyone and it was great how he got sober in the 2000s but it couldn't last. His age and all the damage he did to his body over the years with substance abuse caught up to him and he's always been a pretty lazy guy who gets bored and distracted easily. Peter was finished a long time ago. Paul and Ace have nothing left in the tank anymore. Gene is still ok live but looks more like a sad clown at a kids' birthday party than the Demon of old.

>Spending $75 or more for a bullshit nostalgia trip to relive your teen years seems pretty sad. I prefer to live in and enjoy the present. This is why I don't bother seeing most nostalgia acts. There are so many current bands worth spending your money on instead.
Yeah and the fanbase of all these tired old farts have truckloads of disposable income, and have led boring lives for the last 30-50 years, so they are happy to shell out bucks to pretend they're 15 again instead of boring wagecucks who have to pay for their kids' college/retirement fund.

Despite how fucked his voice is, Paul otherwise has aged the best out of all of them (although Peter has been a recluse and there's no recent publicly-available photos of him).

Attached: 2a18b74a-96c4-4603-a95c-e577fce74434_1.c602a94a14e8f14817550f85b57734b6.jpg (1536x2048, 1011K)

Look carefully at his cheeks. You can see the Photoshopping there.

I listened to Pete Townshend's audio book and was surprised at just how much of a sense of humor the guy has because he's always kind of had a reputation as a dick. Then I listened to Paul Stanley's audio book and he didn't have any discernible sense of humor.

Let's be honest. Ace and Peter were hot garbage during the reunion tour 20+ years ago and there's no reason to suppose they've improved any since. They're old and fried from drugs and alcohol a long time ago and there's no way either could handle the rigors of a tour anymore by all the available evidence.

They easily could have given Eric and Tommy new personas in 2004 and the last 15 years would have probably gone a lot easier than it has in regards to comments by not only the fans but Ace & Peter as well. I don't know why they didn't just do this I guess they felt that only the four classic makeup designs would draw an audience based on how the band did when they toured with Eric Carr and Vinnie for Creatures or they wanted to still ride whatever momentum they still had from the reunion tour and couldn't bring themselves to can the other to make-up designs.

Honestly it's never bothered me like it does a large portion of the fanbase. Maybe its because I became a fan in 2004 when this lineup was already in place so it's just always been KISS to me.

IDK but Peter like I said has been a recluse for years. He seems like he's enjoying his retirement or whatever the fuck he's doing and not participate in any Gene/Paul/Ace shitflinging.

>I became a KISS fan in 2004
Is this Bizarro World?

Attached: img6.jpg (447x324, 24K)

Peter Criss is a hack

youtu.be/mVp2P2G4nbI

You think?

What's the problem again?

IDK it's just, you know, the part where they were 8 years into being a nostalgia act with two scab performers? Admittedly they still looked and sounded pretty good at that time despite Tommy Thayer looking awkward as fuck and playing bland solos.

Hasn't Paul just been miming over a backing track anyway since his voice is toast now?

How old is everyone in here?

youtube.com/watch?v=e1UUBBnOTC8

>You can't dislike Springsteen and have good taste
Go to bed Dave Marsh.

I'm 30 and I've always considered Trunk a dork with terrible taste, but in this thread I learned that he helped revive Ace Frehley's career, and that's really cool. Also good on him for repping UFO.

Fuck, this was in 2004 and Paul's voice sounds kinda bad at that time. Tommy Thayer is just...not Ace, I'll put it that way.

>Fuck, this was in 2004 and Paul's voice sounds kinda bad at that time
The 04 tour was the first one where you start to notice his voice going. He sounded great only a year prior to that. The mid-00s was when he began to have vocal issues but it didn't really become bad until near decade's end.
>Tommy Thayer is just...not Ace, I'll put it that way.
Ace didn't spend 15+ years LARPing as someone else and having to play someone else's guitar licks.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rxo1OpwbNWs

It's not a rumor.

Geez, this is embarrassing as fuck. What a sad way to go out. Especially when back during the first "farewell" tour they always said it was good to quit while you were ahead.

The stage setup and effects are amazing, it's too bad that's the only good thing we can say about this tour.

>The stage setup and effects are amazing
They're the main selling point of the tour, but the performances are sluggish and phoned-in and there's the hard to overlook fact of Paul miming over recorded vocals. Also I think the setlist is weak, Beth and Do You Love Me? as encores in 2019? The crowd reaction for that show in the link was muted, almost dead not much excitement in the venue. Oh well they pulled in 14,000 and made a ton of cash, that's all that counts for them at this point. Rinse/repeat again until they're done.

Yuck. How disheartening to see this. I'd rather see and hear a genuine performance, no matter what, and I speak as someone who has seen and enjoyed Brian Wilson in the past few years.

Hopefully Iron Maiden retires before they come to this--40 bpm tempos, tape recorded vocals, etc. An amazing light show without the performance is just that. And despite everything that happened to the members afterwards, I’m glad the Ramones quit before it came to anything like this too.

I wonder if they'll release a live album of this tour called "Barely Alive"?

idk, that flashing KISS sign would annoy the fuck out of me

This is like the rock and roll equivalent of Brett Favre playing on the 2010 Vikings or Pete Rose on the 84 Montreal Expos.

while I totally agree, I'd prefer weak singing to lip-syncing, it does make me think of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=lynAhYQgoeE
youtube.com/watch?v=fL6uYfOBx4E

The recorded vocals aren't half so embarrassing as 8 years ago when they were playing state fairs and Paul was still actually attempting to sing.

As sad as it is, it would be worse even than that if some delusional aging redneck KISS fans got their dream of having Ace and Peter back onstage.

I saw Bon Jovi in Sydney last December and that was rough. Applaud him for trying but it's obvious that half the crowd can sing better than Jon at this point and he's an entire decade younger than Paul Stanley.

Oh and Gene's been using tape recorded vocals too even though he's still perfectly capable of singing. I guess he figures if Paul doesn't have to then he doesn't either.

I wonder if when they do hang it up, Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer write a tell-all biography. They've been involved with KISS since the early 90s, so surely they must have some stories to tell.

Eddie likes Overkill? Yikes?

By putting the makeup back on in the late 90s they kind of sealed their fate. Once they did, they committed themselves to being a nostalgia act from that point onward. And there's no question Peter and Ace weren't stable or reliable enough to continue to tour with the band. So as sad as it was to have scrubs wearing their makeup, there wasn't a lot of other choice. After all, since they were a nostalgia act by that point, there wasn't a lot of room to create new personas/makeup for Tommy and Eric.

Also there's the fact of Gene and Paul living in Never-Never Land where they can't accept that the latter's voice is fried and they're nowhere near the live force they once were. If Paul would quit boasting about how they're the hardest rocking band on the planet, it would make his mimed performances more bearable. Yet if he tried to still sing with his real voice as it currently is...

In short, they did it to themselves and it's hard to feel a whole lot of sympathy. If anything, Tommy and Eric are nearly blameless in this whole mess.

I agree about his taste but
>imagine dressing like this in front of a giant audience
I can't fault him for this. He's in clean, functional, comfortable clothes. He looks like a dork of course but if you put him in better clothes he would just be a dork in nice clothes

Paul's age and diminished vocal ability is a problem certainly, yet you have other guys like Roger Daltrey who still get up there and sing every night with their real voice and not backing tapes. I think most people who go see The Who are understanding and know Roger's not going to be 1971 level of good, but he's done his best to make his current voice work by changing up the setlist, changing up the way he performs songs, drinking plenty of water and honey between songs, and not trying to force himself to hit notes he can't hit anymore.

Paul Stanley is more like a stubborn little kid who won't accept that he isn't 25 anymore and he's really paid the price for it.

>Paul Stanley is more like a stubborn little kid who won't accept that he isn't 25 anymore and he's really paid the price for it.
I think his Soul Station project is kind of his attempt to prove he can still sing, even if he can't project/do a "rock" voice anymore. I admit, Paul Stanley doing soul is hard to swallow, but...

Yeah, that will be interesting - of course, without knowing the extent of the damage it’s hard to say what kind of potential rebound he could make. OR, maybe more tellingly, how much work Paul is willing to do on his voice.

I had a voice teacher once who also coached some famous musicians. He worked with Billy Joel a few times because his range was beginning to go and after a couple sessions he said Billy said, “eh, I’ll just lower the key.”

That's fine if you still have enough range to sing in a lower tuning. Then there's people like PS, Mark Slaughter, David Coverdale, or Elton John who can't sing a whole lot of their catalog in any key.

youtube.com/watch?v=zIjDpq0CK0A

God this is embarrassing. You can so so tell he's miming. His voice doesn't change as the mic picks it up, you don't see him drawing breath or straining at high notes or anything.

Oh yeah, I saw The Who in '15. One of my favorite moments was the end of Love Reign O'er Me because instead of Daltrey trying to hit that last note, which he can't, he went down an octave and sang it quietly. It made my eyes well up because it worked so well.

It's just sad considering they always talked about quitting at their peak and even shitting on bands who use tape recorded vocals.

I always wondered why I couldn’t make a living from the amount of useless music knowledge I have. Guess there is only room for Eddie Trunk in that department. Lyl.

I bet you know as much or more than ET. In fact I know I know a lot more than him because my musical horizons are wider than just 80s metal. Sometimes I'm amazed at all the stuff I'd expect Eddie to know but doesn't. His strong suit seems to be memorizing every bassist in every 21st century lineup of Cinderella.

Absolutely. This is the band who repeatedly lied about not touching up or re-recording anything for the You Wanted The Best, You Got The Best album, even when given ample chances to fess up to the obvious. They think all of their fans are stupid and gullible enough to take them at their word.

It's pretty fucking obvious they put 1996-97 tour vocals over 70s live recordings. As for me, yeah, fuck seeing them live this side of the millenium.

>It's pretty fucking obvious they put 1996-97 tour vocals over 70s live recordings
It was all 96 recordings IIRC. Go listen to the 40 bpm tempo on Room Service. Peter never played that slow in the 70s. Plus I don't remember that they played Room Service live in the 70s either but I could be mistaken.

IDG why people honestly still expect a 67 year old man to sound like he did 40 years ago.

That's not the point. It's how they can't be honest and up-front about it especially with the ticket prices they're charging. I can't think of many classic/dadrock bands who've treated their fans this poorly over the years with the possible exception of Van Halen.

Eddie Trunk knows a lot about a relatively small field of knowledge, that being 70s-80s melodic hard rock. It's true that he's surprisingly unaware of a lot of stuff that veers very far outside his comfort zone. But that's ok. Eddie knows how to pontificate in an entertaining (if long winded) fashion.

I mean, it's not new. Gene has been on record as voiciferously opposing drugs and alcohol yet he's shilled both for the right price.

My guess is Gene is anti-drugs and their abuse if it affects the running of Gene's universe, such as the abilty of his family or his band to function as a cohesive unit. Nothing really wrong with that.

I wouldn't get too wound up about rock stars being inconsistent else you wouldn't have that communist LARPer Tom Morello having his music videos on MTV in between the Pepsi commercials.

I love in Paul's bio just how much he needed to tell us in great detail about how much sex he's had, how much he enjoys the female body, and he's had as many groupies as Gene, but he's not as crude about it.

A lot of his behavior comes across as insecurity from how he was bullied as a child when he was an awkard skinny kid with a deformed ear. As for not retiring after the farewell tour, well, I mean they were only about 50 at the time and could still perform at a high level so I guess they didn't want to just hang it up then.

Paul maybe though his Phantom of the Opera performance was going to lead to a new career on Broadway and he didn't have to play music anymore. So that didn't happen and it was back to just playing music.

They're old. They can't sing or move around stage as well as they could in the 70s. That's not the problem, it's that they can't be honest about it.

>cold gin nowhere on the list

Attached: 20190622_172637.jpg (1114x933, 348K)

It's even odder how on this tour they perform over huge video monitors showing 70s footage of the band. I mean, why would you want to deliberately highlight just how far you've fallen since your prime?

>Florentine
he hosts some time on Sirius "Ozzy's Boneyard" station and is pretty funny with killer stories.

>Eddie seems like he just can't get out of his high school years and acknowledge anything newer than the 70s-80s

his side kicks Jamison and Florentine did a segment on the show on new music- shilling new bands and albums

youtube.com/watch?v=BeO0GVy01GI

FWIW here's James Brown in 2004, aged 71 and older than Gene and Paul are now. He did more live shows than KISS, toured more years than KISS, was the only lead vocalist, screamed more than Paul, had more leg/knee/hip issues than Paul, had better hair than Paul, and grew up in poverty in a time when he couldn't eat at the same restaurant or use the same swimming pool as white people.

They're not kidding, black don't crack.

I know. They seem afraid as fuck of getting old even though they visibly are.

Hey you know Dolly Parton has mimed all her shows since 2012-ish. Still, she can be forgiven because she's such a warm, affectionate person and spends a lot of the show talking and interacting with the audience. She still releases new material, doesn't overcharge for tickets, and doesn't offend anyone or make enemies.

The comparison is closer than you think. Like KISS everything is "artificial" with her presentation and she's got more makeup/wigs/sequins/surgeries/money than Gene/Paul. She even goes to significant lengths to avoid being photographed without makeup/wig.

Tommy Thayer is a reliable, dependable guitarist and can be counted on to do his job while Ace is not. Thinking Ace would still be an acceptable live performer is almost as deluded as thinking Paul can still sing.

I get the butthurt about TT wearing Ace's makeup but even if Ace were still there everyone would just complaining how awful his performance was.

>Paul Stanley is more like a stubborn little kid who won't accept that he isn't 25 anymore and he's really paid the price for it.

looks like he has paid a lot in plastic surgery- freaky to look at- I watched an interview with him and Dan Rather and it was painful to watch- he cant smile.

Maybe so, still you can't discount the whole magic of seeing him onstage in the late 90s in his Spaceman makeup even if his playing was rather poor.

As for Peter, I doubt he can play anymore and it wouldn't be much fun seeing him tapping drum triggers for two hours.

>possible exception of Van Halen.

so true...sucks even more cuz the 2012 album was so good. Dave def aint lipsyncing cuz he sucked hard live last go around.

Peter could barely play in 96-97 when he was about 50. Now at 73...

The drum triggers on the 96-97 tour were lame. Once in a while he could really rip the skins, but for the most part it was painful to see just how much his skills had diminished since the band's heyday 20 years earlier.

Since Gene and Paul have taped vocals at this point, may as well go all-out and use taped Ace guitar solos and taped Peter drum fills.

>Roger Daltrey who still get up there and sing every night with their real voice and not backing tapes. I think most people who go see The Who are understanding and know Roger's not going to be 1971 level of good

Same with Robert Plant- he can't sing like a wailing banshee anymore but he has found his sweet spot so to speak in his vocal range and doesnt try to do things he cant- he puts out new music that fits his abilities and still out putting on great shows.
youtube.com/watch?v=4EiczfElzho

Do you evem know what a drum trigger is? It's simply a small pad that sits on the back of a drum head and triggers a sampled sound when the drummer physically hits the drum. Some drummers simply prefer the feel to an electronic pad. But there's no "cheating" involved. It's simply a way for a drummer to give himself access to a wider variety of sounds.

If butt rock was a person it would be Trunk

No. If so tuned, it's also a way to turn a nominal tap into a thunderous bash. It's a way to make someone with no strength sound like they are playing at peak power.

Which is how it was used for Peter.

>Same with Robert Plant

Gregg Allman also sang with deep soul and conviction until the day he died. He was 70yrs old here:
youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ

Unfortunately Ace and Peter didn't recognize the value of maintaining the rights to their makeup whilst Gene and Paul did. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

In the long run, Gene and Paul guessed correctly but in the early 80s who could have known that? Nobody in 1982 still cared about KISS except Brazilians or something. They were a washed-up relic of 70s excess which was why they had to take off the makeup and remake themselves for a new era. They gave Ace and Peter severance deals and retained ownership of their makeup/characters, but nobody in 1983 could have forseen how valuable they'd become someday.

Peter got himself into shape for the reunion tour, but it didn't last too long.

I mean, yeah. As good an album as Creatures of the Night was, their marketability in the US was at a low ebb in the early 80s, they had no choice but to go unmasked. They admitted to such in their memoirs. Gene was only along for the ride and the band was kept alive strictly by Paul. Gene spent most of the 80s trying to be a manager/actor/producer/business mogul and succeeded at none of them.

True maybe the makeup was a ball-and-chain on them in 1982 and they had to drop it to revive their career, yet they were likely still smart enough to hold onto it because ten years from now, who knows? It's like Axl Rose holding onto the GNR name after they called it quits in the 90s because hey, you never know when it might come in handy.

I don't think the exact deal with the ownership of KISS makeup is entirely clear. Ace seems to think that in order to use his image on an album cover, they had to pay him. It's known that Gene and Paul's lawyers reached out to Ace's management in 1994 for that very reason. According to Ace, the amount they were offering to use his likeness was insulting, so he refused. Gene and Paul have since insisted that they didn't need his permission, but reached out to him in an act of good will.

However, they still didn't use his likeness, and obscured every shot of him in the booklet, so who knows? Of course Ace very much did wear his makeup for that Dunkin Donuts commercial in the 2000s and rumors through the grapevine are that he didn't have to pay Gene and Paul a dime for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=qMJhOPV27dA

20:15

Paul outright said they couldn't even get 1000 butts in the seats during many of the 1982 shows. A little later on he talks about how their North American following had dropped to almost nil and taking off the makeup was a desperation move. COTN was a total bomb outside maybe Japan and some Latin American countries. Only after their career revived and a slightly remixed reissue of Creatures was released in 85 did the album sell anything. Props to them for digging their way out of the hole, but the 1980-83 period saw their US relevance diminish to practically nothing.

Neither Ace or Peter seem like very smart guys and I doubt the booze and drugs helped them any.

I'm no fan of Peter Criss. He was ok in the mid-70s, but that's about it.

The substance abuse fucked him up hard. He was still at the top of his game during the 77 tour but the car crash a year later and increased substance abuse threw him for a loop.

His drumming up to 77 was pretty good and since he came from a jazz background, he certainly had a bit different flavor than most rock drummers. I didn't appreciate his playing on the classic KISS albums until I was older, but post-accident his skills went downhill and never recovered.

The Revenge era for sure was going nowhere. Revenge wasn't bad but it also wasn't LIU or Creatures-level. Carnival of Souls was a cool experiment but the band's marketability and fanbase had diminished so much by that point that the reunion tour was all they pretty much could do.

yep, this one is going in my cringe compilation

About Paul's voice. It helps to understand that he never relied on exact technical precision, he's never been Frank Sinatra. You could look at any 70s or 80s concert footage when he was in his prime and notice his vocals were always a little different at every show--slight crack here and there, phrasing, the melodies. Combined with all his vocal issues, expecting him in 2019 to sound like he did in the 70s is just plain silly.

For comparison there are vocalists who have a very stable voice that hardly changes at all, like Robin Zander, Peter Gabriel, even Gene Simmons.

Ace was ok in the 70s but he's not all that expressive or versatile, honestly Bruce Kulick was twice the guitarist he was for technique and expressiveness.

>Carnival of Souls was a cool experiment
Honestly it is. You'd never expect a KISS album to have this much thought or experimentation put into it. Also I don't think it's as grunge-flavored as people think it is. It feels more like a Creatures or HTH heavy riff-driven album than anything. Bruce's playing on the album was brilliant, probably his best ever, Eric Singer was on fire, and Paul delivered some fantastic vocals as well. It Never Goes Away could be the best he's ever sang.

Huh? I doubt his vocal delivery of Love Gun has changed significantly over the years, they're not the Grateful Dead and have always kept everything tight and consistent from show to show.

No but like I said, Paul's voice isn't that stable because that's just how he is. You could look up Love Gun performances from 1977 to present and notice every one is a little different. Detroit Rock City especially is one that he's never seemed to perform the same way twice. He was just lucky that his improv-ed vocals happened to work for him, while Gene, despite his limited range, is far more consistent and his performances change very little from night to night.

COS is an album any band would kill to make and that it came from KISS, especially that far into their career, was all the more surprising. Plus it was the last time Paul really delivered an outstanding vocal performance.

You know, as bad as it is to see Paul using taped vocals, I'd still find it even worse if he tried to sing with what's left of his voice because anyone who saw them live since about 2009 needed an aspirin after hearing him try in vain to perform Love Gun or Heaven's On Fire. They should be honest about using backing tapes, but paying $200 to hear Paul's strangled chimpanzee voice would be a far bigger ripoff.

I could swear I heard somewhere that the promoters wouldn't book the tour unless they promised to use backing tapes. Is that correct? I mean if that's true then that's why this is all happening and Paul & Gene didn't want to say that publicly because they'd look foolish against previous comments.

Man, seeing Tommy Thayer in Ace's makeup is off-putting. His face is too long and square for it.

To be fair I don't think Ace would look good in Ace's makeup now either. I mean, Gene looks like Jabba The Hutt and Lena Dunham had a baby now.

Gene was saying a couple short years ago that lip-syncers were cheaters. Funny how he doesn't say that as of late.

Man, you guys think this is unusual for legacy bands to use taped vocals? You think at 60+ you're going to sound as good as you did at 30? They do this because nobody wants to see their rock heroes get old and if you pay $200 to see a legacy band, well, you know what you signed up for.

Attached: Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg (1024x683, 102K)

Ok but who else do you know does this? Roger Daltrey doesn't lip sync, but then he also doesn't still attempt the scream in Won't Get Fooled Again. Joe Elliot has been known to use tapes. I don't defend this kind of thing and I say if you can't get the job done anymore, it's time to hang it up.

I saw Motley Crue on the farewell tour and the vocals were piped in. Didn't seem like anyone noticed or minded though. I was more bugged by the piped in guitars and drums to make their instruments seem bigger than they were.

1. Crue have used vocal tapes since 2000
2. The Police do it as well. I don't know how common it is but I'm not in the habit of seeing dadrock bands, so...

Paul McCartney just turned 77 two weeks ago and he doesn't use tapes. He does have Abe Laboriel to help him on high notes he can't easily hit anymore. Mick Jagger doesn't use any tricks or help.

Jagger has top-notch backing singers though.

Ok and you're also forgetting that McCartney and Jagger are /fit/izens who take excellent care of themselves. I think Paul Stanley didn't take so good care of himself especially his voice over the years and he's suffering for it now.

If anything was mimed they did a good job of hiding it. I do remember the two half naked female back up singer who helped drown out Vince Neil quite a bit.

It would surprise me if Crue didn't go back to touring. They're younger than KISS and aside from Mick Mars are still pretty much fit and able to perform.

I wouldn't doubt it. The money would be too hard to pass up and none of them could fill out more than a small club or theater by themselves. Mick Mars likely won't be back due to his health concerns, also isn't he closer to Gene and Paul's age? I know he's not as young as the rest of the band. He'll still probably collect a paycheck for sitting at home though.

Me, I don't care for Crue at all. They didn't innovate a single thing or ever release an album that wasn't half filler, but their bio was pretty entertaining.

Club or a theater is putting it generously. I've heard Vince Neil can't fill _casino_ shows by himself.

Funny all the talk of KISS getting old, but Paul's dad aged 98 attended one of their shows last spring.

Attached: Dz1c1S7WoAAzC7n.jpg (720x732, 139K)

Also here he is with his parents in the late 70s. His dad seems like he barely aged at all.

Attached: 45ca260e0cd59c869b155f2fbe161d0f.jpg (960x660, 102K)

I can understand the reasons for not having Ace and Peter still in the band. As pointed out earlier, Peter was hot garbage in 1996-97 when he was in his early 50s so how good do you expect him to be in his 70s? And he's said he has no intention of performing again. He was a difficult person to work with when he was young, even intentionally sabotaging a show or two during the 79 tour. You can't do that in front of a paying audience, you just can't.

And Ace did have significant issues with alcohol and drugs and there are some guys who can still manage and get to the gig and do the gig. And others can't. Sad to me that Ace did so much damage to himself that prior to the reunion, when it mattered most, that Tommy Thayer had to teach him how to play his own solos again. Ace missed a flight to an important production rehearsal leading up to the first reunion show. Ace missed a flight and nearly missed a gig on the 2000 farewell tour.

And I’ll say that Simmons and Stanley probably made those guys feel like hired guns, which was probably difficult emotionally for them. I was pretty disappointed that those guys were barely involved in Pyscho Circus when it came out. But I get it now.

I get it why Thayer and Singer are in the band both professionally and musically.

>or move around stage as well as they could in the 70s
Perhaps wearing some lighter-weight costumes would help. Have you seen the massive-ass outfits they have on? That would be a lot for a 30 year old to lug around onstage, let alone a 70 year old.

Honestly it seems when they were 30 they didn't wear costumes as bulky as the ones they're using now.

Gene is also 40 years older and much fatter than he was back then.

So all the more argument for wearing more manageable costumes then.

Attached: 456789.png (556x323, 78K)

The outfit Gene wore during the 79 tour was ridiculously massive, I think Paul said it weighed 40 pounds and he wasn't just joking.

I doubt anything Peter could do with his drumming now is worse than Paul's current vocals.

How sure of that are you? Apparently at Peter's last shows with Kiss, his drums had to be entirely triggered to play at the most nominal of touch. He also had to be retaught how to play the songs at all.

I'm not sure that's better than Paul's current voice issues.

Based, Icon fucking rules.

Why wouldnt a guy like Trunk not enjoy Guided by Voices?

>100 post completely serious buttrock/KISS discussion
Yea Forums never ceases to amaze me with how pleb it truly is.

Eddie himself found this thread.

Dynasty Tour judging by the outfit.

It's interesting how the early 80s and 90s are the two most debated periods of their career given that in both cases their relevance completely dropped off the map and they had to make drastic changes in direction in order to put food on the table.

youtube.com/watch?v=Guapdkue43w

Friend of mine saw them earlier this year. He's not all that knowledgeable about KISS and when I mentioned to him that Paul was lip-syncing, he looked at me like I'd just dropped in from Mars. From that video he sure looks like he is. He doesn't even sound close to that anymore and holy fuck, is Gene fat now.

They were playing Hide Your Heart at some shows but changed it out for Dr. Love. I guess nobody but real KISS diehards knew that song and it was drawing a blank from the crowd.

Beg pardon? Hide Your Heart was played live all through the 2014 tour.

Just because it was doesn't mean it's a well-known or fan favorite song.

Why do you all like KISS so much? Its bad buttrock with a handful of OK tracks

I meant when they dropped it from the setlist now because fans don't know or like it when they kept playing it live for several years without giving a shit what fans thought. The most likely reason for playing Hide Your Heart was because it's one Paul song that's easy to sing and doesn't strain what's left of his voice. Now they drop it and put in a Gene song instead.

I guess I'm just stupid because if they are lip-syncing like a number of posters here think, why can't Paul do any song 100%? I guess I'm not up on all it takes to do it. Not attacking your post. I have always suggested they could spread the lead vocals around more than they are on this tour. How about Eric singing Nothing to Lose and take another Paul song. Again, if they want to drop Hide Your Heart that's fine, it's not all that great of a song especially on your farewell tour.

I meant they were playing HYH live for the past several years because it's an easy song to sing without a lot of difficult vocal acrobatics and he would still be able to perform it and not sound like complete shit.

Agreed. No matter how some aging manchildren on kissfaqs want to relive the 1977 tour when they were 12 years old and thought Ace was the coolest guy on the planet, he doesn't have anything to offer anymore and would likely just be a complete mess onstage. Tommy Thayer is pretty much the best and only option for them at this point.

I love the new Alter Bridge record. That record was in my Top 3 of last year. The Winery Dogs are very near and dear to me. They were a band that I had a role in assembling. It was my idea to plug Richie Kotzen into that band. I think he is one of the greatest talents I know of. If people have never heard his solo stuff then you need to know that his last few solo releases have been mind-blowing. Beyond the personal connection, as a fan, I love that Winery Dogs.

There are some new bands that have come out. I like some things about Rival Sons. There is a band called Monster Truck that I heard and I like. They are out of Canada. There are movements of bands that are coming out that are newer and younger but have a kind of old school sound. Scorpion Child at times sounds like Fastway to me. So, those are the things that catch my ear that I like.

I’d like to hear a really great heavy band come out, but I haven’t. One of the big problems I have with music in general is that I need to have vocalists that I like. If I don’t like the singer, then I am not going to be down with it. I can’t get into the scream stuff. I’d love to hear a really heavy, heavy band with really good vocals but I have not heard any of that just yet.

>No matter how some aging manchildren on kissfaqs want to relive the 1977 tour when they were 12 years old and
It might be possible to, heaven forbid, find some young new bands in their prime who are doing cutting edge stuff now instead of relying on ancient bands from the leisure suit era to relive your teen years.

Yeah and if someone wants to relive when he was a carefree teen and didn't have alimony payments/graying hair/a paunch, what's wrong with that?

Sure, fun is fun just like some people think Grimes makes listenable music. But who am I to judge?

Ain't it funny though that Tommy and Eric have been with the band longer than any other drummer/guitarist combo they've had.

It doesn't take a lot of brains to notice he's suddenly magically able to hit notes he could barely do 5 years ago. The voice audio is all from the post-reunion years when they were touring with this lineup. Around 2008 Kiss re-recorded many of their big songs for 3 reasons: a CD release in Japan, possible film/TV/ad licensing(old labels don't have to be paid) and maybe if they needed them for future touring purposes. Def Leppard re-recorded their entire catalog around the same time for similar reasons. I think Blondie/Squeeze and other acts did similar re-records. Minor vocal "flaws" and minor post-production(pitch correction) is audible in all these cases.

The 2019 clips are clearly not original studio recordings and they are clearly not recordings done recently. KISS should have tons of multi tracks recording to choose from the past 10-15 years.

What say. It always came across as so weird to me how many people got into KISS as kids when you consider how sexually charged and totally not family-friendly many of their songs were. I mean, just what did they think Love Gun or Lick It Up was about?

IDK about you but I was into the 80s unmasked version of the band when I was like 10-11. I only had a vague idea of what sex was. Something adults did with each other but that was about it. So it's not as if Lick It Up exactly registered with me, besides that my favorite KISS songs were Creatures of the Night and Rock and Roll All Nite neither of which were sex-themed.

Paul was always my least favorite of the original four. I appreciate his dedication to the band and his songs, but I never cared for his rock and roll preacher schtick or his put-downs of ex-band members.

Ok but you can't tell me the slams at Ace and Peter weren't justified. They were given a second chance during the reunion tour and completely fucked it up. Also Paul kept the band going while Gene was distracted with other projects.

The loss of his voice is unfortunate but he sacrificed his throat doing what he loves for 40 years. In his prime he was one of the best rock frontmen in the biz.

Saw them in Louisville in March and sure, you would gladly wish you had a time machine back to the 70s to see them at their peak but I don't abide by the claims that they're as bad as Brian Wilson sitting at a keyboard aimlessly staring into space while reciting a lyric every couple of minutes. KISS are the quintessential showmen and even though Paul's speaking voice was rough, he seemed to be enjoying himself.

Also Lars Ulrich was at the show because Metallica had been playing in Indianapolis the night before so it was neat to see another rock legend in the crowd.

youtube.com/watch?v=yM9vCiB5Hkc

Pearl Jam covers Black Diamond last year. :^)

From everything I’ve read this tour is selling really well. So why is there still no KISS album in the Billboard Top 200? I brought this up in another thread- other legacy acts that are still touring - Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, Journey, AC/DC, etc- all have albums on the charts even though they haven’t released any new material in a while. It seems with the newer/casual fans that are attending these KISS concerts this would have translated to renewed interest in their catalog.

I'm all about starting a normal metal/dadrock thread away from /metal/ but why the fuck are you pushing Trunk and KISS? They're the worst poster children for what you're trying to do

KISS doesn't have an album as monumental/epochal as Rumours or Black in Black, nor do they have a definitive greatest hits collection like the Eagles or Journey.

I bet you also think Adam Lambert Queen is ok.

>Fleetwood Mac
Memes
washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/04/04/how-a-black-college-dance-troupe-landed-a-decades-old-fleetwood-mac-song-on-the-billboard-charts/?noredirect=on
>The Eagles
Hotel California is a meme song and always in pop culture's consciousness
>Journey
Don't Stop Believing is a meme song and always in pop culture's consciousness
>AC/DC
Actually this shit is timeless and the quintessential example of dadrock

So yeah, make a Kiss meme or something if you want this shit on the charts because the music will never be as memeworthy as Gene

what the fuck is this boomer meme

i saw that eddie trunk guy used in the archers of loaf threads now he's used for dadrock threads. who the hell is this guy

Not really. Tommy and Eric at least were alive for KISS's prime while Adam Lambert was born after the first Queen Greatest Hits album came out.

Freddie was irreplaceable, true, but Paul Rodgers was one of their contemporaries and it didn't make it any less awkward seeing him up there on stage.

Adam Lambert was born in the 80s, he's an early Millenial. Seeing him onstage with Brian May looks like a kid with his grandpa. Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer are only about a decade younger than Gene and Paul, they don't look nearly so out of place next to them.

But the other issue is that people who will take KISS to task for Eric and Tommy have no apparent issue with AL fronting Queen when Freddie's showmanship was the entire life of the band plus all the live songs (Brian and Roger sang on some tracks but those have never been performed live). Ace and Peter were absent for a pretty major portion of KISS's career and they also only sang on a few tracks.

No comparison.

Freddie was arguably one of the best rock singers/writers/performers that ever was. As a package; perhaps the best there's ever been. All the members of Kiss past and present combined don't add up to Freddie Mercury's talent.

I know that statement would send Paul Stanley into therapy, but one must separate between a bona fide genius and some guys who have written some good rock songs in their time.

kiss fucking sucks
the 70s are over boomer faggots

And all that is one reason why Paul Rodgers was still a better fit for them than Adam Lambert. Maybe it's not as big a deal as you think, but I still can't get over how Adam looks like a teenager performing karaoke with his grandpa.

Lambert also does _not_ have a good rock voice. I saw them with Paul Rodgers, now those were killer shows.

When Tommy and Eric first put on the makeup, Gene and Paul went out of their way not to draw attention to it. In fact, for many years, Paul would never call out Tommy's name onstage.

>Ace and Peter were absent for a pretty major portion of KISS's career
Considering that in a 45 year career as a recording and touring act, Ace and Peter were only a part of it for about 12-13 years total between the 70s and the reunion tour. Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer were involved with the band longer than they ever were.

As for Lambert Queen, I consider it a Queen tribute act more than anything, plus it's worth seeing Brian and Roger while they're still healthy and able to perform.

>21 posters

Maybe apples and oranges, but Queen without Freddie is more like Kiss without Paul. A lot of people will still go and see Lindsey Buckingham-less Fleetwood Mac because important though he was, they can still survive without him. Roger and Brian never sang on any important Queen tracks or anything that was ever part of the live setlist and Freddie sang on literally all the songs people know, but at the same time kissfaqs posters will get butthurt that Peter Criss isn't in the band anymore, just as he wasn't from 1980 to 95.

I don't agree with that glowing assessment of Freddie. Yes they had some good songs in the 70s but the 80s not so much and their US following really fell off. Maybe I could never get into their campiness/flamboyance.

This is total bs, they were playing decently

Not at all with Favre, it was his best statistical year, that would be like The Rolling Stones or Accepts comeback.

Kiss are hacks

I agree that if they didn't do what they did, they would have ended up playing in front of 20 people at a gas station the way Cheap Trick, Styx, and REO Speedwagon were in the 90s and they probably were too egomaniacal to ever want to be reduced to that level. Noble effort though Revenge and COS were, neither album was going anywhere commercially. They want those mega tours where they can deploy their huge stage shows and that's not possible if you're playing some shithole theater with 200 seats in Topeka, Kansas.

>Not at all with Favre, it was his best statistical year
The 2010 season not the 09 one where they almost made the Super Bowl and Favre was pretty good stat-wise in 09 but not as good as his two peak seasons in 96-97.

Queen had dozens of good songs in the 80s, it's just that their albums were only 70% good (or lower) and album consensus mattered more back then when you couldn't just pull the tracks you liked to put on a playlist. The US thing is just due to Americans being faggots about faggots because they're all secretly closet faggots

Attached: 220px-I_Want_To_Break_Free.jpg (220x220, 24K)

Gene was calling out Tommy's name since like 2003. Maybe Paul didn't do it until the current decade, I don't remember.

Reals cools interview Jaan Uhelszki from Creem Magazine KISS and the Early Days of Creem

Attached: kissjaan.jpg (698x644, 100K)

So as Paul said this was the "15th time we've sold out Madison Square Garden."

Forgot link
youtube.com/watch?v=N7IbJ_5SFN4

Attached: hyuck.jpg (359x342, 20K)

Is this actually even true or is it more fake marketing bullshit?

>Hide Your Heart
Destroyer and Alive fill that criteria

Yeah I don't know. I'm pretty sure Crazy Nights wasn't well attended.

>Eddie's top 20 KISS songs
>No "I Was Made For Lovin' You"

what a failure

Attached: kiss.jpg (700x400, 50K)

Forgot to mention that MSG banned metal acts for a number of years because some Judas Priest fans had a chimpout and damaged the venue so they couldn't perform there for Lick It Up or Animalize.

As an aside, why was Bruce Kulick sidelined? After the reunion tour he could have come back. Did he not feel comfortable posing as Ace?

He was never invited back to my knowledge. Tommy Thayer had worked with the band for some time, helped the useless drunk Ace relearn his own guitar parts, and had lots of experience in a KISS cover band.

Kulick and Singer were put in limbo when the reunion tour was announced. Both were still being paid by the band and considered members, but Bruce decided instead to hand in his resignation notice. Smartly, he took his demotion with grace and has never talked shit about Paul and Gene, which is why he's the only ex-KISS member who's still friends with and has never been shit on by either of them.

They didn't ask Bruce to come back. In a way it makes sense. They'd become a nostalgia act trying to relive the 70s while Bruce was part of the band when they were still a viable, contemporary group. Even when they started working 70s songs back into the setlist in the early 90s, Bruce still always played them his way. By the turn of the millenium they wanted a guy who was willing to dress like Ace and play his guitar parts note for note. Bruce could have easily done so and might have even agreed to do it, but I guess they felt Tommy was more willing to do what they wanted instead of trying to be his own thing, as much as the two control freaks in the cockpit would allow him to.

I guess Bruce wouldn't have agreed to LARP as Ace and I don't think he could have played his solos note for note anyway. His playing style is pretty far removed from Ace's.

Tommy was already part of the thing since the reunion tour. He was Gene’s “gofer” plus he re-taught Ace the songs for the reunion gigs. He was already in the fold and could fill in for Ace (and did) when Ace couldn't perform. It made perfect sense to use him when Ace bailed as he could play just like Ace and was already around.

Singer was rehired when Criss quit again after the Aerosmith double bill. At one point, the band had some stipulation that there were supposed to be three original members in the band. When Criss exited stage left, it made perfect sense to rehire Eric Singer. Now, making him into the ‘Catman’ was a shocker, but that’s what Gene and Paul decided to do. Obviously it’s worked out.

Bruce has too much integrity as a musician to pretend to be someone else and it wouldn't be fair to him after so many years with the band where he imparted his own stamp onto it.

>As sad as it is, it would be worse even than that if some delusional aging redneck KISS fans
Aw but it's cute to see how passionate these guys still are after this many years.

Attached: m0ycn5mOyl1qctvzro1_1280.jpg.jpg (720x540, 85K)

ace_frehley_tour_bus_2019_tour.jpg

Given the bad blood between Paul and Gene and every former band member except Bruce, you have to feel sad at how a bunch of literal senior citizens have to be this childish and can't put aside their feuds from 35 years ago. At least Peter, by all accounts the dumbest of the original four, has been living quietly in retirement and avoided any public comments on the band.

Man, Paul's degree of butthurt about Ace/Peter/Vinnie Vincent is ridiculous. He wasn't this way years ago but since turning 60 he's really become a bitter old man who has no filter anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=rKwudnfB6GM

See here. All five KISS guitarists and their interpretations of the Love Gun lead break. They all tried to do something different with it, except for Tommy Thayer who is just there to mimic Ace note for note.

To be fair, Tommy could play the solo his own way, but chooses not to.

It was certainly a gem, some amazing performances, and they sounded like the mature 40-somethings they were--the album had no party anthems or sex songs. Whereas they spent most of the 80s just copying Motley Crue and Bon Jovi rather than doing their own thing.

I paid big bucks to see Van Morrison last year and it was easily a top 5 show for me. His voice was in no way what it used to be, but he maid up for it in every other way possibly. Plus he played 4 Astral Weeks tracks and I marked the fuck out big time.

IDK, somehow Paul trying to be dark and angsty on record has never worked even though he's certainly got a lot of bitterness and personal issues in his real life. Tell him to put his pain to music and he can't do it. Gene is a pretty adaptable guy--tell him to sound like Alice in Chains and he can do some interesting stuff with that idea. Paul however just never seems comfortable as anything but the Starchild.

Lyl at Ace mocking them for not being able to fill MSG on this tour when he can't even sell out 20 seats at a casino. I'm sure they're making more money from this one farewell tour than he has in the last 20 or so years of performing.

I saw him recently and he and his band were pretty tight. I didn't expect it but they delivered, they did. Certainly a better show than Gene and his fat rolls or Paul looking and sounding like a Jewish grandmother who can't sing anymore as they play their songs at 30 bpm speeds.

Bump limit reached, new thread!