I know half of you are digging the anti-intellectual fuck everybody listen to whatever trip but if we stop striving for...

i know half of you are digging the anti-intellectual fuck everybody listen to whatever trip but if we stop striving for beauty in music and it just becomes about getting passable wallpaper noise you don't know what you'll miss out on

there gotta be standards. people have to have standards. critics are idiots but they try to be the standards. somebody has to be the standard.

think of all the amazing music that was dreamed up in a room when somebody heard a great album and thought to themselves "i wanna be that good"

Attached: 1528136383294.gif (540x540, 1.18M)

you realize that Yea Forums is an extreme minority of culture as a whole right

of course
im talking to that minority
you guys are my friends whether you want to be or not

You get it. One day there will be a jazz fusion / funk album back in the mainstream, because my band will make it. Maybe, likely not actually.

There's nothing intellectual about music because it's purely subjective. I've been listening to it my whole life and it doesn't matter what anybody else says; either I like what I hear or I don't.

>you guys are my friends wether you want to be or not
bro...

Attached: 1560830034377.jpg (1024x1536, 180K)

that's solispstic nonsense though
user obviously there's something objective you're not just sitting there in silence imagining the music for god's sake

Well musicologists and art historians of the past 200 years might disagree.

Attached: ecstasy-of-saint-teresa-gian-lorenzo-bernini-327261.jpg (877x1200, 196K)

>think of all the amazing music that was dreamed up in a room when somebody heard a great album and thought to themselves "i wanna be that good"

Comfy feel

Attached: 54948054-80FC-411B-AF44-96AE854A5D79.png (469x489, 259K)

Nobody listens to the songs they like because its "wallpaper noise". They listen cause they think it's beautiful or whatever gay ideas you have. Music critics are hacks and attention whores with lame opinions on music. Music is subjective and if it wasn't then most music critics would agree on what the top albums ever were and they don't.

Music critics mostly agree about which works and composers are part of the Western Canon.

Attached: composers_smiling_600(1).jpg (600x338, 205K)

what the fuck are you talking about tons of people dont actually care about music they just play whatever cuz they think it's cool

most fucking people dont habitually focus on the beauty of music

Speak for yourself.

And listening to music to get "pumped up" or to fit in with friends is fine too. Music historically started as both entertainment and religious psalmody.

However, those who want to find beauty in music will keep looking and eventually find it.
I don't think everyone has to be a hardcore music fan.

Music is both subjective and objective.
If it was fully objective, then what you said would be the case. If fully subjective, then people would like every sound. But the truth is if I make a song it's going to be objectively worse than a decent song, and anyone will tell you that. If music was subjective there would be no incentive at all to improve instrument technique, or music making skills, because "all the music is the same value and quality" since it's subjective

>there gotta be standards. people have to have standards.
People with a passion for music will listen to lots of stuff and develop their taste, their "standards"
The society standards are the more "acclaimed" albums, the "classics" and imho they're mostly good. On this site it's Yea Forumscore
But is right:
>I don't think everyone has to be a hardcore music fan.

i'm worried people that could've blossomed into hardcore fans drop out early in the race out of convenience.

You don't understand what "subjective" means if you equate it to liking everything.

Well if you drop out out of convenience, you weren't that into it to begin with IMO.

satie wrote furniture music.

FUCK THIS, GAY EARTH.

This isn’t that hot of a take considering the overmemeification of city pop

>You don't understand what "subjective" means if you equate it to liking everything.
I didn't explain myself properly. Imo full subjectivity means there are no underlying patterns in what people like, because if people were more likely to like a song over another this would already imply an objectivity of some kind, a "likeability" factor of a song.
Also if there is no objective quality in music then there isn't an objective difference between good singing and bad singing, but that's simply not the case

>Musicology is the study of how good music is