Remember when everyone was going apeshit over this?

Remember when everyone was going apeshit over this?

Looking back now, it was such a cringey album. Extremely 2000s, even though I can't exactly explain why.

Attached: 91r3f7RUobL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 439K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2H8NVMZJOoc
youtube.com/watch?v=fYEAflCO4Eo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not even good.

The Animal Collective was pared down to a trio now after the departure of Josh "Deakin" Dibb.Merriweather Post Pavilion(Domino, 2009) continued the trend towards a more conventional (and guitar-less) song format, packaged in a sleek, multi-layered production. The Syd Barrett-ian psychedelic lullabyIn The Flowersexplodes in a loud merry-go-round of keyboards and percussion: it is neither groundbreaking nor particularly memorable.My Girlsis a charming take on minimalist repetition and house music, with raga-like fibrillation juxtaposed against ecstatic chants: neither particularly new nor particularly engaging.Lion in a Comais an atmospheric and not very melodic song although drenched in a chaos of syncopated percussive sounds and of somewhat clownish electronic timbres. The album dwells in this limbo of fake uncreative creativity. Basically, it's nothing butPhil Spector's "wall of sound" updated to the age in which the studio can do a lot more than an army of musicians.Also Frightenedwonders dangerously close to the Beatles ofSgt Pepper, andBluishsounds like a parody of the Beach Boys. The Animal Collective's personal variation on that stereotype comes from the ritualistic element that is also the common denominator of all the songs.
The one moment of genius isSummertime Clothes, boasting a dislocated hard-rock riff and a panzer techno beat as its rhythmic foundation, and a vaudeville-like rigmarole with a soaring chorus as its leitmotiv. A close second is the jovial Latin-tingued dance ofBrothersport that turns into a hypnotic game of vocal harmonies.
Dave Portner (aka Avey Tare) and Noah Lennox (aka Panda Bear) have never sounded more conventional. They have even become predictable. Only the bands of synth-pop have employed so many keyboard sounds to create such simple pop ditties.

Idk, I still turn it on every so often when I take some psychedelics and its epic. Then again, I started listening to this album during my late adolescence so I took a huge imprint on it

It influenced every basedboy band of the last 10 years. If it was released today, it would be given a 5.5 by Pitchfork and called derivative. There was absolutely nothing else on the planet like it when it came out though.

>Remember when everyone was going apeshit over this?
you clearly don't, zoomer

ironic

>Extremely 2000s, even though I can't exactly explain why.
I can: simpler times

Kinda dont like how it overshadows Strawberry Jam so much, but otherwise it's still def at least a 6-7/10
And I do like that 2000s AnCo feel, desu. It legitimately did feel like people were happier and more optimistic

youtube.com/watch?v=2H8NVMZJOoc

imo they stopped doing what they were great at doing and started to become a Grizzly Bear competitor

It was always a half-good album. Mid-low tier AC. The good tracks are really good, though.

listened to it for the first time in years the other day, still pretty solid. every track had something good about it. except lion in a coma. that song has always and will always suck major balls.

ITT: Contrarians who should kill themselves

sung tongs
spirit theyre gone
strawberry jam
feels
here comes the indian
danse manatee (one of the best noise albums ever made)
hollindaggan
prospect hummer

these are the AC GOATS

i love this shit, lol

It’s actually still really good. Their last truly great album. SJ is a little better.

This album has started to make me feel ancient.
It feels like it was only recently that you'd see this plastered all over Yea Forums but it was 10 fucking years ago now.

Attached: 1541681971300.jpg (960x960, 83K)

i want to walk around with you part is still amazing

unironically anco's worst

*2nd best

fuck you i like it. it makes me feel so joyous and happy inside.

>t
basd scoofi

Name a better compostion than In the Flowers
I dare you OP
youtube.com/watch?v=fYEAflCO4Eo

I listened to this recently and I liked it alright

WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH
grizzly bear is great (not perfect) desu
they meet the middle ground between post rock and fuss-lofi-noise-folk. although yeah without anco and radiohead there wouldnt be grizzly bear.

It’s it’s literally 3 chords. It’s all flash and no substance.

>Extremely 2000s, even though I can't exactly explain why.
Why do people keep saying this? I remember seeing a headline from an article a few years ago about how Animal Collective's music sounds inexplicably dated, but I don't hear it. Can't find the article anymore.
Someone educate me on this?

bc it lacks retromania instagram-filter, anime-cloudrap dichotomy aesthetics

>If it was released today, it would be given a 5.5 by Pitchfork and called derivative
no shit

fuck you its almost a 10

boomer detected, kill yourself please

i dont talk about it as much as i use to but merriweather and strawberry jam are still fantastic albums. youve just been using this site for a while, we all have

>cringey
people like you should be permabanned

It's good. Reminds me of the good times had in the 00s. I would even say it still good today just more if its time.

ur cringey

>no beat switch? cringe and outdated

Attached: 1535258023492.png (764x800, 293K)

if this is how you view music, you should pick another hobby because you just don’t get it

No idea why people call it outdated, it's not like someone has done this style better than them.

>it’s literally 3 chords
lol no it isn't

it reminds me of my first relationship in the summertime, it is an alright album but not even close to being as good as STGSTV or feels or sung tongs but god damn Daily Routine, Sommertime Clothes and Bluish are all very good songs

F Bm C D Em G7 Dm
>3

this fucking guy

>In the Flowers
cringe