Meaningful songs that got played into oblivion and lost all meaning

This thread is for those songs that actually have an interesting message if you listen to the lyrics, but the original meaning is gone from the cultural zeitgeist.

American Pie by Don Mclean should be more controversial than it is. If you pay attention to the lyrics it spits in the eye of pop culture and is extremely conservative. Most people have no clue what the song is about.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (340x450, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5hr64MxYpgk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Copperhead road tells the story of a military veteran and legacy bootlegger who revamps his family business by growing weed and adopting viet-cong tactics to defend himself against the DEA.

Its actually an interesting social commentary, but most people think its for line dancing at honky tonks.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com1.jpg (474x355, 29K)

All Star, unironically.

The meaning?

i own swag by lil b

Attached: lil-bruh.jpg (750x750, 25K)

there's a verse in it about climate change
>it's a cold place they say it gets colder...

Is it not about Buddy Holly?

It's about Steve Harwell's formerly alive son

It is, but its also about how his death sent culture into a death spiral and harshly critiques all kinds of popular music like the beatles, the stones, bob dylan, etc

Bohemian Rhapsody, unironically
Freddie intended it to be an epic mini-rock opera about a man's struggles with his identity and now its legacy as commercialized and watered-down as every other Queen hit. To most people it's just le whacky wayne's world song.

Good choice, I’m not a big Queen fan but it’s an absolutely incredible song.

Born In The U.S.A.

Blowin’ in the Wind, people just hear happy flappy hippie shit which Dylan most certainly isn’t. Also some stoners think it is an liaison to pot “the answer is dude weed lol”, fucking retarded.

Attached: 64B10303-1BE9-4B2F-8827-36C547ABCE26.jpg (1280x720, 189K)

Fortunate Son by CCR
>make anti-war anti-vietnam song
>it's not either boomercore MURRICA shit or faggots memeing about how they played Battlefield and got PTSD

>an liaison

Sorry, phoneposter fag, I meant an allusion.

Attached: 266A0C93-F2B2-47B0-8850-DB392C119E19.jpg (191x191, 5K)

Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
They thought Neil Young was being a faggot so they made a song about how slavery was cool.

Nice

Also Free Bird, it’s been reduced to a meme that drunken boomers shout out at gigs.

I actually think that “video killed the radio star” by the buggles is an interesting commentary on the changing music industry and the musicians struggle to accept it or not, the song is especially interesting in its context as the first ever song on MTV. The song makes me kind of sad and scared at the same time.

Most people just hear a cheesy relic of the 80s.

Free Bird is a really interesting song imo.

>Don’t Stop Believin’

The lyrics are really fucking cool.

But there's nothing more to it. It's a great song but it's a straight forward story I understood the first time I heard it and I was about 12. All those Vietnam movies helped I guess.

That song made me sad when I was little. Now it's even worse.

I disagree, I think it’s a commentary on poor whites in the rural south and their messed up relationship with gov.

He signs up for the army merely because he knows he’s going to get drafted because he’s white trash, and then he studies the viet Cong in order to use their tactics against the feds. I think The song is trying to say something about how fucked up this is, and the song comes off as sympathetic to the white trash.

I always liked the "streetlight people" line

Baby by justin beiber
Its about abortion

Imagine is extremely communistic. Surprised it was allowed in 1970. Now it's the "world anthem".

Every Pixies song which sounds like nonsense is actually referencing UFO conspiracy lore.

Those lyrics though:
youtube.com/watch?v=5hr64MxYpgk

There was an episode of WKRP which refers to it. Some crusader is trying to get stations to voluntarily blacklist songs and he insists that this one says there's no heaven. The counter argument was, no it says "imagine" there's no heaven. That show was great.

Lennon is still wrong in his conclusion that we would have world peace without religion. The song basically imagines a laughably naive utopia that couldn't possibly happen.

>we would have

You're doing it too now. All he said was "imagine".

the song clearly correlates lack of religion with world peace, dont be a tard

You were right, they should have banned it.

Yeah thats definitely what i said. sure.

>Imagine there’s no heaven
>It’s easy if you try
>No hell below us
>Above us only sky

For me these lyrics are particularly resonant and not so much about world peace as achieving inner peace, as the idea of an eternal afterlife absolutely fucking terrifies me. Death should be death, just a complete cessation of the consciousness. It astounds me that anyone would aspire to eternal life, particularly if they believe the bible which shows God is not benevolent or loving but is fickle and full of hatred. The mind crushing horror and tedium of something that never ends keeps me awake at night, the absolute lack of liberty that every second of your life you are being judged by an omnipotent being even more painful.

I used to be an atheist and I had a better life then, but unfortunately events transpired that makes me believe without doubt there is a God and a devil. Now I hope that God is not the tyrant he is depicted as and I pray for no afterlife.

So yeah, I would fucking love it if there is no heaven or hell and when I die this whole shit show is over.

You /pol/niggers are so easily triggered.

Thanks, that’s a much more interesting analysis

Bittersweet Symphony

hello, reddit

>streetlight people
what's that meant to mean?

I'm legitimately disgusted by that song each time I hear it, especially when I think about the fact that it's John Lennon who's singing it

I'll alert the PTA for you, m'lady

Attached: 5eb.jpg (480x600, 22K)

I’ve always thought that blink 182s enema of the state album was a modern day catcher in the rye because it does a very good job of showing the angst of teenagers struggling with growing up in their current cultural context. The big difference is that Holden Caufield accepts that the world is fucked and decides to help other people with their angst, and blink 182 basically decides that all their problems are their parents fault and continue in their angst. I really think the two have interesting parallels and their conclusions may explain why gen x/millennials have harder times growing up than previous generations

It's just building an atmosphere with two words
>Streetlights
>People
I instantly have a picture in my head

>anyone who doesn’t like imagine is trying to censor it

What are you 12? The song is shit because it is the wet dream of a shot out brainlet, it doesn’t need to be censored because it serves as a marker for identifying other brainlets (ppl who like the song)

I've always thought Hey Jude has some really wonderful uplifting lyrics without being overly sentimental or corny. The song just gives some genuinely great advice towards anyone going through a rough time, especially those who are emotionally closed off.

Country girl (shake it for me) by Luke Bryan is a really deep song. Essentially it’s about a horny hillbilly who wants girls to shake their butts at hin

Good thing he titled the song "Imagine" and not "Let Me Lay Out Some Feasible Economic Policy That Can Be Used To Establish An Egalitarian Marxist Society".

The fact that people lose their shit over that song is so fucking depressing. Dude was literally just asking people to imagine a peaceful world and he fuckin got shot over it.

The thing is, a lot of what he was "imagining" had already been implemented in certain countries before and it was hardly peaceful.
Plus the arrogance of the line "I hope someday you plebs can get on my level, and the world will live as one" just makes him sound like a twat.

Kek

Madonna's "Like a Virgin"' is all about this cooze who's a regular fuck machine. I'm talking, morning, day, night, afternoon, dick, dick, dick, dick, dick,dick, dick, dick, dick. Then one day she meets a John Holmes motherfucker, and it's like, whoa baby. I mean, this cat is like Charles Bronson in "The Great Escape." He's digging tunnels. Now she's getting this serious dick action and she's feeling something she hasn't felt since forever. Pain. Pain. It hurts. It hurts her. It shouldn't hurt, you know, her pussy should be Bubble-Yum by now but when this cat fucks her, it hurts. It hurts like it did the first time. You see the pain is reminding a fuck machine what is once like to be a virgin. Hence, "Like a Virgin."

you only fear the afterlife because some part of you realizes that you are living wrong

What events transpired, user?

Also, atheism is for idiots what wives are for faggots.

Monkey Gone to Heaven makes so much more sense now

Bailey was way hotter than Jennifer. No contest.

I’ve thought this for years

What are your thoughts on it

Thank you for proving their point.

John was too idealisticly pure for this world. The world will never get it but that’s ok.

John also did the guitar in Bowie's Fame song

Actual thought-provoking content

>t. brainlet

If you really believe that then youre incredibly naive

He was a disgusting fucking communist and got exactly what he deserved.

Goodfellas, huh?

This. Walking on the Sun has good lyrics too.

>oh no john lennon died. what a martyr for the cause of true peace
Who left the door open?

Van Halen's Jump

It's literally about committing suicide

I WANT SOMETHING ELSE
TO GET ME THROUGH THIS
SEMI-CHARMED KIND OF LIFE

DOIN CRYSTAL METH WILL LIFT YOU UP UNTIL YOU BREAK

most subtle lyrics of all time

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

WHEN I WAS

Attached: 26162135-A9CC-42D8-8FFE-DEA16CC33B5F.jpg (474x325, 18K)

2 deep 4 me, so wise