Music theory

What's your favourite minor mode from the C major scale? How do non-minor modes sound over minor chords?

Attached: 2fa10d92dc16628d9c3f6deb5c8e497b--linx-learning-guitar.jpg (736x901, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C4_D4egY8zo
youtube.com/watch?v=-gu_v4dXQxE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

please explain this image, what is the concept its supposed to help describe? I saw a youtube video and learned what "negative harmony" is, is it something like this?

What's negative harmony?

>minor, major scales
pfft, not for me, I'm into the juicy stuff like mystic chords and shit

What kind of faggot uses le epic star wars terms to describe basic music theory? Jesus christ it’s like I’m reading an infographic from the top post of all time on /r/musictheory or some shit

For me, it's Phrygian.

lmao retard you don't even hear brightness and darkness in modes? Don't call it basic music theory if you're a basic unmusical pleb.

It’s not even about darkness or brightness braindead it’s about the fucking “le epic DARK SIED and LE FROCE!” shit. you know damn well what you’re fucking doing. do you need everything you learn taught to you in pop culture terms? do you need game of thrones analogues when learning about politics? do you need rick and morty references in physics class? fucking redditor millennials are actual fucking farm animals i swear.

Stop projecting, faggot.

This pretty much sums up the state of the average redditor. Buzzwords, insults and catchphrases that once had meaning have now been stripped of any context they had and are now randomized and thrown at an opposite party without any care for actual definition. You use words because they’re supposed to convey something except you don’t really know what they convey so you fuck it up and convey nothing. You’re the degenerated state of the modern internet user, gullet full of braindead trivia and schlock entertainment without a care for actual meaning or purpose. Get out of my sight, worm.

tl;dr lol faggot

Stay retarded for me, okay retard? Thanks.

ah, a classic display of Yea Forums autism. good job user

Why do people think minor chords sound sad?

Because they're taught that meme from childhood.

Isn't the Major scale a mode itself (ionian)? What do you mean by minor mode of the major scale? I thought scale was just another name for mode.
Sorry for being retarded but I'm confused

I feel like Korean popular music from a broad perspective, not just the dancepop, but all popular music, including church music and indie shit, has stayed a lot more harmonically complex compared to the simplification of most American popular music.
Also this song is lit youtube.com/watch?v=C4_D4egY8zo

>What's your favourite minor mode from the C major scale?

Pitch is perceived relatively, not absolutely by the vast majority of people - why would you ask for people's favourite minor mode specifically from the C major scale?

And it's Phrygian.

>How do non-minor modes sound over minor chords?

Depends on the mode and the context. If the chord could be reinterpreted as a functional dominant, it'll likely work fine in most cases.

The circle shows the relationships between the modes in terms of which degrees need to be altered in which direction to get from one to the other, as well as which invert to one another (by that they mean reversing the order of whole and half steps).

>I saw a youtube video and learned what "negative harmony" is, is it something like this

Similar, but not quite.
Negative harmony refers to inverting all intervals around a set point (the midpoint between the tonic and dominant).

It's when you take a given progression (though the idea can be applied melodically as well), and invert all the intervals around the midpoint between the dominant and tonic. So, in the key of C major, the midpoint between the tonic and dominant is E quarter-flat. So, if the chord has an E natural in it, and you invert it around that point, you wind up with an E flat instead.

A mode is specifically a reordering of the notes of a scale around a different tonic pitch.

So, D Dorian is a mode of C major, as is E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, and B Locrian.

This is further complicated by three facts:

1) The modes of any given scale are in fact scales in their own right

2) When people refer to "the modes", they're often referring specifically to the modes of the major scale.

3) The scales that are referred to as the major and natural minor scales are the same as Ionian and Aeolian, however, there's a distinction between a scale and a key, and something being in the key of major or minor has some extra baggage to it than simply using the scale.

This is a great answer, actually. It's one of the purest examples of a literal meme.

Hello, I've been playing guitar since 7, and making music in daws since I was 13. I am embarrassed to say that despite this, I know very little about music theory. Are there any books or videos you guys would recommend? I don't wanna be a plebe anymore.

I'd recommend reading through the theory at openmusictheory.com, supplementing that with the ear-training exercises (as well as the normal theory exercises, just to make sure you got the ideas down pat) at teoria.com, and making sure to spend time applying all you learn on your instrument.

Do that, and you'll be off to a flying start.

The Berklee Harmony packets by Barry Nettles are good and easy to read.
There are 4 of them. If you search for them they're easy to find.

>What's your favourite minor mode from the C major scale?
Aeolian. I am a simple man.

>How do non-minor modes sound over minor chords?
That's where you should realize the emphasis on melodic development and gesture rather than simply harmonic basis.

It's trying to show how the modes relate to each other, but this seems unreadable if you don't already understand the info. It's needlessly complex and a useless picture.

Negative harmony is somewhat related, but overall negative harmony is literally a meme. It's best use is making youtube videos

>guitar
>don't want to be a pleb
Too late.

Bump.I like these threads

who is actually composing music and browsing Yea Forums?

I'm practising my scales.

phrygian and lydian are the best modes

mixolydian is the worst by far

how come so? I think that's bullshit.

Anybody thhinks diatonic harmony is boring as fuck?

I like to practice my scales and chords but it sounds really boring, Im more into cromatism

needs to be balanced like everything

Anyone else here make music without knowing any theory? Or is it just me?

Me, actually. Also teaching composition to an 8 year old whose parents I'm friends with through /tg/ stuff. Honestly, it pays for food so I am not complaining.

Most oriental music has always been like that

Diatonic harmony is only as boring as your voice leading and melodic choices, as well as your modulations and secondary dominants. Harmony should always serve the melody, and should be the last thing you even think about.

Don't, you're gonna have to reinvent the wheel over and over. One dude here pointed out his story - he knew the terms for the notes, chord shapes on guitar on quite a few chords, and was aware of the circle of fifths. He then proceeded to come up with this extremely complex system which was borderline arcane in its appearence.

He then read a Music Theory 101 book and found out that he spent 2 years reinventing the wheel.

I made this a while ago... had some nice counterpoint in the second part

youtube.com/watch?v=-gu_v4dXQxE

Based and redpilled

It’s showing how modes slowly transform into each other, the scale degree properties of each mode. Useless unless you already understand a fair bit

I plan to start my songwriting journal tomorrow morning. Read an article about Paul Simon’s approach that interested me

I occasionally get commissions. Sure.

Chromaticism can be informed by chords and scales.