Can you even enjoy jazz or classical without playing the music...

can you even enjoy jazz or classical without playing the music? the mindset of the composers and musicians of these genres are just so far out from how the general population conceptualize music that it's pretty much impossible.

Attached: 4udigpby7e411.jpg (1500x1467, 283K)

nah there's plenty of entry level stuff for both genres

i don't think you can truly appreciate jazz or classic without being an improv musician or a composer

yes

>can you even enjoy jazz or classical without playing the music?
I do.

>jazz
>being good
pick one

Attached: rwby_have_gay.jpg (750x743, 39K)

you can still enjoy it, but I don't think you'll be able to truly comprehend everything that made a jazz or classical piece so great if you've never played that kind of music.

What jazz albums have you listened to? Maybe you just listened to bad jazz albums.

I think you're a pretentious cocksucker. Nice dubs, though.

I think there are levels to it. The physical side of it is certainly enjoyable, I started piano lessons because I physically enjoyed playing it; but now that I am a composer I have another level of appreciation, and going to concerts pushed it even further. My mom certainly likes it but she has absolute fuck all in terms of musical knowledge, which greatly contrasts with mine.

understanding "the mindset" just helps you understand the composition. the music is the same before and after you become a jazz player, you just understand how it's constructed. the final product is the same for everyone.

>the masters for this album probably burned in the 2008 Universal fire

You can still enjoy it, but of course you’d enjoy it more if you can play it
That’s true for all music, people like to sing along, people learn to play their favourite songs before they write their own

i don't know honestly. i don't enjoy jazz or even classical really (although i prefer classical much more than jazz) and i only play guitar so that may be why

No I just pretend to like to seem sophisticated lol

cringe

i kind of think you have a point. like I can look at the golden gate bridge, and it's obviously big and grand, but unless i was an engineer maybe i couldn't appreciate it the same way. i don't know how it works, why it works, what it takes to build, how much it costs... it's just big and grand and i like looking at it. and until i tried designing my own... probably only then could i truly appreciate the bridge.

An analytical way of understand the music (which you can get in many ways, even playing the music) definitely helps, especially is it's so intricate that you can only "get it" with a little more thought - and that is only an added dimension to your listening experience, it doesn't negate the emotional impact a piece of music can have on you, which is great. I've definitely enjoyed classical music when I was a complete newbie, but it really got good for me when I started playing the piano, reading about music and studying scores and shit; that also extremely broadened my music taste and my tolerance to different music and made me eager to learn more. Music is a beautiful journey that never ends.
So no, it's not necessary, but I'd pretty much advise anybody who is supposedly passionate about music and isn't just a dilettante to commit themselves and become more acquainted with the many dimensions of understand music.

i went to curtis for classical music performance so i have the credibility to say that this is not true. learning theory actually detracts from the listening experience desu, its useful to have music literacy but you get caught up in the weeds when attention is all you need really

based

I think you may just struggle with turning off your professional skills or suffer from the pragmatic theory they teach to performers, nothing has enriched my listening experience like studying music theory (I'm more than halfway done with a theory PhD in a top department).

so it's still shit?

I don't play any instruments but I still like some Jazz. I can't really get into stuff like that John Coltrane album but things like 60s Stevie Wonder or Mulatu Astatke I really like.

>The whole point of this thread was to imply jazz is somehow on an equal footing with classical, which is laughable.

can you explain why it isn't?

ITT: projection

all his impulse stuff did iirc
but 'the complete masters' boxset from a love supreme came out in 2015 so dunno

Yeah I pretty much am ass at playing anything especially jazz and I love this album

>can you watch film without making movies yourself?
/thread

classical is outdated by like hundreds of years
jazz is the most evolved form of music in the world