Divine Comedy

I've been binging The Divine Comedy solid for the past week, is there anything else out there like it? Neil's songwriting on literally every record is god-tier.

Attached: JBDCC-1.jpg (700x700, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QRtGiSiJJtg
youtube.com/watch?v=fSzOcvAJmi0
youtube.com/watch?v=H1FKJSgEoBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JFQnL9erT9o
youtube.com/watch?v=sPGepgWupTw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGbhXoaGL4U
youtube.com/watch?v=3q8ameykka4
youtube.com/watch?v=vPzS91gGzLM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I haven't found any more of that sort of baroque pop that I've considered any good. It's not dreamy or wistful/nostalgic like, say, WIld Nothing. Maybe a bit of Hidden Camera? He Falls to Me is a great track somewhat along those lines, although I can't find a video copy anywhere to embed here that's not live.

I'd love to know myself.

early scott walker

Yeah I listened to Scott 2 and it's sorta similar, though it doesn't have a fraction of the humour or that catchy, feel-good sound.

obviously it won't be exactly the same

Well the humour and catchy, feel-good sound is really what I'm after. Stuff like Becoming More Like Alfie or I Like

What do you think about the new album Office Politics? I think it's decent but has a lot of filler and some tracks like Queuejumper, the one about synths and the one about Philip Glass and Steve Reich are just stupid

Attached: folder.jpg (1400x1400, 990K)

Disappointing in all honestly, pretty much meme-core

I fucking love the divine comedy and it's hard to find something that fills the same gap, the kind of witty irreverence that is simultaneously effortless and trying, cool and uncool, cheesy but not. Nothing is exactly the same, Jens Lekman probably comes closest on night falls over kortedala. Aim and Ignite by fun is also similar, but your capacity for camp has to be a little higher.

Honestly I expected to hate it but I'm actually quite fond of it. I don't mind Queuejumper and really enjoy Philip & Steve. There were a few happy surprises like You'll Never Work in This Town Again, though obviously nothing reaches the heights of say Casanova.

It actually made me revisit their post-Absent Friends albums which was a great thing because I never realised how good they were. Bang Goes the Knighthood in particular is a fantastic record I'd put up there with the best.

>the kind of witty irreverence that is simultaneously effortless and trying, cool and uncool, cheesy but not
Yes, this articulates it perfectly. I'd add that so much of Neil's own personality goes into this you can really get a sense of who he is, and yet at the same time he plays a 'character' in pretty much every song. His work is full of paradoxes like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=QRtGiSiJJtg
youtube.com/watch?v=fSzOcvAJmi0
youtube.com/watch?v=H1FKJSgEoBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JFQnL9erT9o
youtube.com/watch?v=sPGepgWupTw

Google "Pulp"

exactly, his best songs center around a single character or story that takes the specifics and spins it into a message with a much more universal meaning. There are so many jaw dropping moments on casanova and promenade alone. It's really about expressing the spirit of literature with music, obviously neil was very on board with this idea from the start.

It's amazing how badly Hannon fucks up his live performances and yet somehow manages to make them incredibly entertaining and endearing.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGbhXoaGL4U

DRINK
FECK
ARSE
GIRLS

I still find it funny how Hannon originally started as crappy REM tribute act
youtube.com/watch?v=3q8ameykka4

This was always my favorite song by him
youtube.com/watch?v=vPzS91gGzLM

See this is the one song that stops me loving Promenade. I just can't stand it.

I find it really amusing honestly

Try Tindersticks

What is their best album? I wanna get into this

Casanova or Absent Friends, try both

Promenade, a short album about love and fin de siecle are also top tier

Stuart is much more serious than Neil

Just get secret history compilations and then listen to albums with songs you liked the most

This is probably his most underrated album
People accused him from ripping off Radiohead but Note to Self, Perfect Lovesong and Love What You Do are some of his best songs

Attached: R-423365-1482090855-8838.jpeg.jpg (600x598, 141K)

With Bad Ambassador Neil made a better Radiohead song than Thom Yorke.