What does Yea Forums think of record stores?

Attached: Singleshot-8-smaller.jpg (1200x900, 270K)

it's only good when they sell CDs

gay

they are comfy but i don't have the money to buy everything that looks interesting so i like to write down album/band names and look them up on spotify later

Attached: 1554148983247.png (800x778, 317K)

Based and resorcepilled.

b-but someone on Yea Forums s-said vinyl w-was better than digital audio >-

meh, my only local one is part of a chain business and exclusively sells novelty records appealing to boomers/manchildren. so just classics with no second hand stuff. although finding the smaller stores ran by actually passionate people is quite fun

I stopped going to them once I filled my milk crate. By that point, I rarely listened to them since CDs, MP3s, etc. are more convenient.

Same thing I think of most brick and mortar stores. I still go because occasionally I find a good deal or its something I need right that instant but most of the time the staff is shit, the price is too high, and they don't have anything I'm interested in. You can spout some bullshit about supporting local but I'm not going to support something that doesn't provide a service I want.

Same.

Ive bought maybe 4 records in my life but ive listened to 1500~

Attached: no respect.jpg (225x225, 8K)

An idiot said that. The main reason someone buys vinyl is for the aesthetic and to support an artist. If they say different they're lying or stupid.

I think they're good for buying records

better for meeting new people than to actually buy music

the oldest one in my area sells exclusively, well, really old used records. i'm such a noob i don't know who half the fucking people are when i browse

another one is really hip and i don't like the vibe. all young people playing some character. but they usually have a cool selection in the used

I work at one. It's pretty cool.

Seconded

Obligatory. How would anyone know what to listen to without these sage's advice?

Attached: Tits McGee.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

I wish they carried more goth/post-punk stuff. I know that genre never really took off in the US, but still.

They're the fucking best
Out east on long island there's so many stores that get new stock constantly. You can find VG+ original press of almost anything you want from 1964-1980 for like 4-15 dollars. Unique stuff always comes in like last time I went they a nice Van Der Graaf Generator '68-'71 UK pressing and I picked up a promo copy of Nektar A Tab in the Ocean
Not to mention its always a really cool environment to have conversations about your pickups with the owner or workers.
The owner of the place I go to in Massapequa always posts new arrivals on facebook. pic related

Attached: 39410236_10156766403292754_7861342666393387008_n.jpg (960x720, 91K)

I like them, it's breaking my heart that I'm around in the era where people stop buying records.

discogs ruined prices

my favorite ones have always been the huge multimedia stores, places like Twist and Shout in Denver and Amoeba in LA

I used to work at one in Raleigh and it was genuinely a lot of fun

my store usually prices them a few dollars below discogs.
i guess since they buy in bulk theyre willing to cut out that added cost

good
i just wish they'd kick the art hoes out

So glad you are here to ...
No y’know what? Fuck off.

What era is that?

>Nektar A Tab in the Ocean
Hello, fren

Attached: 1527757906033.jpg (600x600, 42K)

hey buddy :^)
(the promo stamp is gold and embossed)

oof forgot pic

Attached: IMG_20190614_201620.jpg (3024x4032, 3.83M)

Hell yeah, great score. Journey To The Centre Of The Eye gets more praise, but Tab is my favorite (both excellent, of course). Nektar and McDonald & Giles are my go-to prog, never get tired of them. Enjoy!

Depends,
The best ones are in an older part of town, and generally have a noticeable odor when you walk in.

If i find a smol shop that caters to my niche then yea its dope

Disco GS brought much better transparency to the market and improved liquidity by eliminating localized scarcity on both the supply and demand side.

I’ve never purchased anything via Discogs, and I still love record stores, but I’m grateful for Discog’s influence on the market.

No one who has more than 3 brain cells has ever said this
I started buying for vinyl exclusive tracks (Sufjan Stevens - Michigan for example), but now buy some to support the artist as well, plus all the goodies a lot of records come with

What the hell? One of the biggest pros of vinyl records is the heightened audio quality. Everyone knows. Are you listening on a shit setup?

>heightened audio quality
Show me someone who can tell me the difference between a record and a flac file and I'll show you a liar. Find me a study that uses blind tests and I'll listen.

100% agree fuck vinyls their only purpose is to flex

They're cool on the US.
Here in argentina you get shit for a ton of money. Not worth it.

Many digital releases were rushed to market because record companies saw cd’s as a way to reprint a lot of profit. The mastering on these releases was just awful and that’s the source of much of the vinyl is better bias. For such recordings it’s actually pretty easy to tell the difference.

Yes, I'm aware of this like anyone else who collects vinyl is. Which is why you should steal vinyl rips of classic album like a true red blooded american if you want them. However any new music is going to sound the same, if not better with a digital file. And any new pressed vinyl of classics is going to use the same bullshit loudened master (if it is the case that they are shitty) and is pointless to buy over CD.

I'll give you that any rare albums not re-released with a good master should be listened to on vinyl, I have several albums that are simply not available anywhere digitally. But I'll also say that shitty masters are rare and those that were released have been replaced.

Attached: 1312669345795.png (762x545, 382K)

I use them exclusively because I'm not a pleb

That's not the image I meant to post, but I'm sticking with it.

which record store in raleigh ive been to a couple

>Amoeba
>LA

based

Honestly it's not a bad image for the post. Yea Forums can use more anime and less buzzwords.
>Several albums not available digitally
Such as?

Homegas - s/t and A 1981 release titled "freeway" which I honestly think is shit but it's valuable so I'm keeping it are two off the top of my head. If you can find a place to legally download homegas let me know because I'll support that shit.

>legally
Well that's where you lost me friend. Good on you for trying to support the artist though. You're a better man than I

I've found it on soulseek, but the rip is just awful and it seems to be the only one. If I had the right setup I'd make a copy myself but I'm not going to go through all that effort for something only a few hundred people at most will care about.

And I was just making the point that outside of some very rare albums there is little reason to choose vinyl over digital.

Oh I see, my mistake. Fair enough on the part, you might be lucky to get 100. I agree with your last point, what albums do you reckon would be worth listening to on vinyl over digital?

They do not exist in my city anymore.
There was this huge record store back in the 90s when I was 9 years old. The owner knew some of my older siblings and stuff I would go there many times after school and he would let me listen all the records. If I liked some of them he would let me purchase them on discount.

I mean there was lots of CDs there, some vinyls too, and he had like 4-5 "listening booths" there too. You waited your turn, took the CDs you wanted to listen (before purchasing) and if they sounded good you could go on.

It had some sort of 20 minute time for your preview listening, but I think it was pretty good system in a time where there was not internet previews (or reviews)

Vinyls sound better because they are less faithful to the original master.

Usually the shitty mix that was low in bass gets new life on vinyl that is known to misinterpret the bass frequencies more than often.

That is more often the case why people think the vinyl sounds better and it is a product of better audioengineering while in truth it probably inferior version in regards to the original master and the whole original recording, in fact, had problems to begin with.

It is funny (and delusional) to think that audioengineers would get the vinyl right, but somehow "fuck up" the process on CD reproduction that is much more accurate

Wish I could work at one desu

What do i think of record stores? Great place to buy plates

They used to be based but w/ the increasing expansion of the Internet they have become increasingly redundant.

San Jose's Bascom Avenue has the most based record stores.

LPs in Europe are expensive and I'm a poorfag

Yeah maybe for stuff release pre 70s
Google digital and analog audio before you start talking like you know

>poor pajeet can't afford a record player
lylling

I was gonna call you a cuck, but then I realised I've bought plenty of testpressings for 10 or less euros. Record store clerks will always be retarded.

in all fairness, it CAN sound slightly better, but you really have to have an ear for it and spend thousands on really good equipment/ the best pressings of albums
otherwise, it'll just sound as good as a cd, maybe with pops/a bit of distortion (which admittedly does make some music sound better in a way)

I feel bad for kids who didn't grow up hanging out at record stores just buying anything that looked cool to them, I feel even worse for those who got all their music taste from online communities like this one....in any case I had three main ones around my house, first one was this place, Melodies and Memories, it's still there

Attached: melodies.jpg (512x384, 33K)

Then there's this place, Record Time, spent a lot of time there as well, I actually think it closed down

Attached: recordtime.jpg (600x492, 250K)

Jealous.
Remember the Future is their best.

And lastly this place called Hot Hits, I didn't go there much and when I did it was more for trying to find some rare game boy cartridges or something like that, but it was an interesting place in that it was pretty much known as a Juggalo hub and one of the places ICP used to promote heavily out of, they had a lot of old school Juggalo shit in the store....not really my thing, but an interesting bit of local lore, apparently they're still open

Attached: hothits.jpg (297x169, 15K)

I love them, but only to browse and to appreciate good album art.

I only buy if I find something rare on CD, vinyl is such a hassle. I just want to listen to music.

Enjoy. Bought an original pressing of ItCotCK for £25 at my local last week.

Attached: !!!.jpg (307x300, 75K)

I have three around me. One has a lot more punk and new wave, one has a lot more jazz and classical, and one has a lot more oldies and new stuff. Have all my bases covered, pretty sweet. As to why vinyl? The ritual. Wake up, brew some coffee, throw on a record while you start your day. There's also something to be said about how it more or less forces you to listen to the entire album. Sure you can count the spaces and drop the needle where you want it, but it's more fun my way.

bumping this. i can only think of school kids. haven’t been since they moved locations. they got one in chapel hill now too but it’s a bit smaller

Every time I go to a music store is a special journey for me, as the closest one is 70 km from my place.
Most of the times I buy my albums from the Internet, though.

You paid too much.

Do you live in the US? Experiences with media mail? I see a lot of stuff that I want on discogs but being in Florida I wonder about the vinyl being damaged in transit/because of the heat.

I thank the lord every day I live in a first world country reading posts like this.

Nah, Europe.
I do use the mail, but it takes a lot.
Worst part is that the stores I'm getting my stuff from don't keep their sites up to date and it might take about two months for an album to come.
I ordered in late April two LPs, Faust IV and Hand.Cannot.Erase and I'm still waiting for them.

it is if the source is analog
if it's just an album that was recorded digitally then printed to vinyl it's basically just a novelty

I live in hawaii and have yet to run into a problem.