Is the author dead in music?

Is the author dead in music?

Attached: authorisdead.jpg (780x360, 53K)

you're thinking about it wrong

hopefully

What do you mean?

yeah

What's the point of something if it's up to interpretation? Did the author not have any thought when he made it? Or is that the point? But if that's the point, then how is it up for interpretation?

Attached: 1543006447405.gif (225x203, 517K)

you're retarded

talking-head comics make me want to kill myself.

Attached: il_794xN.1925418595_kczb.jpg (794x993, 93K)

If the author says it's up to interpretation they're either hiding it, cannot explain the meaning behind it because it can't be expressed in words, or it's just nonsense like a pollock painting or the R Mutt urinal, where the meaning is in it's meaninglessness, how it's a statement on what is and isn't art. Something being truly up to interpretation seems paradoxical. Of course that's only if you think the creator's thoughts matter at all.

Attached: 1553903281921.png (800x600, 1.08M)

you're trying so hard but you're just a tard

I just don't see how something could lack inherent meaning. That's all. In other words, I think Death of the author is silly.

it's not that the things you're saying are invalid, they are just nonsensical and irrelevant

ok

Attached: 1560267987156.gif (720x719, 1.25M)

i don't know why the other user is saying you're not making sense, i was gonna ask pretty much the same questions you are.
if a creator makes something, there has to be a certain meaning or else the thing wouldn't even have a point, right?

no problem

Ive been noticing more and more zoomers say that things “aren’t that deep” or “pretentious” for everything that requires a bit of thinking. Is the overuse of irony and insincerity in this generation a disease to intellectualism?

but irony was overused by the preceding generation. if anything zoomers don't want anything to do with it, they want sincerity.

Not from what I seen, but maybe they are still finding their footing growing up. As for the millennials, they have shown themselves as soulless reactionaries.

Well the idea of the death of the author is that what you personally get from it is more valid than what the author intended. For example: Someone writes "I shidded and farded" with the intention of making you laugh, but someone else says it has a deeper meaning that the author himself never thought of. If you believe in death of the author, then that so called deeper meaning is valid even though it came from an outsider. My problem here is when the author themselves says something is up to interpretation, because it calls to question what they were thinking when they made it. When you make something it comes from somewhere, even if you can't put it into words. A good example is the movie Angel's Egg by Mamoru Oshii. He claims it's up to interpretation but it's clearly about his loss of faith as a young man. The movie is brimming with these clear themes. So obviously the movie has a meaning, but the author here claims otherwise. I'd argue everything has a meaning so long as you care about the creators thoughts. death of the author feels like a more nihilistic way of looking at things to me. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

>Mamoru Oshii. He claims it's up to interpretation
That does really encapsulate 'death of the author': the author makes the claim that is interpretative and you immediately disagree, saying the meaning is pretty plain. The author is only one judge of their work, no longer regarded as the only one.

>more valid than what the author intended
It's not MORE valid it is just A valid interpretation, as much as the author's interpretation is. 'Death of the author' is an audience focused critique. What is central is what the audience understood from it, not what the author intended. The 'death' is simply the death of the author as the central authority of their own work. This goes along with a general weakening of the public's trust in authority figures: cultural, political, religious, scientific etc. It's not as if this kind of critique is anything startlingly new, it has always been the case to a certain extent, it is just far more common these days that we don't just accept what the author says as gospel.