What is it about Slipknot that separates them from the appeal of not all but many older metal fans...

What is it about Slipknot that separates them from the appeal of not all but many older metal fans, is it the less complex guitar work that they might see as dumbed down? Is it the hip hop factors like rapping and DJ work? Is it the fact that the clean vocals seem more akin to alternative rock than heavy metal?

Attached: slipknot-2.jpg (1000x667, 888K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m3I3-KTJbtY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All of that. They took everything cool about metal, and stripped it away. They don't look or sound metal. They sound like a buttrock band with down tuned guitars, a stupid clown image, and some occasional yelled vocals. Not even "proper" screamed vocals, mind you.

Metal is the anti pop. Its whole purpose is to do everything the opposite of pop music.

elitism
Songs about murder and war
album covers filled with gore and abortions
Unreadable band logos
rejection of popularity
Rejection of normal people

You can not kill metal by making it unpopular. Because that is what it wants. You only kill true metal by making it popular.

Hard disagree. That may be true for extreme metal, but Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc. are all extremely popular and they're all more "metal" than Slipknot.

Pop metal is a thing. It sounds like Iron Maiden, Dio, Judas Priest, Rainbow, etc.

It features guitars in standard E tuning, big poppy choruses, cachy riffs, galloping drum beats, bright colorful album covers, and dudes with long hair and ridiculous outfits. It sounds large and "open" and poppy, like it's being played in a giant stadium.

Slipknot does not meet the requirements of pop metal.

Extreme metal, like Death, Morbid Angel, Darkthrone, Obituary, and Mayhem is the opposite.

Guitars are often tuned down, in the case of death metal, or standard E in the case of black metal, the drums feature blast beats at blistering fast tempos, the vocals are shrieks or gutteral growls, the guitars are chugged or tremolo picked, album covers are dark or gorey and feature depictions of death, witchcraft, gore, destruction, and other morbid themes. The bands typically have very long hair and wear lots of black and spikes and leather, etc. and pose in graveyards on the back of the album covers. It's meant to be extreme, ridiculously, over-the-top, and a rejection of everything mainstream. Think of it like a shitty low budget horror movie.

Slipknot fails at this too.

True mediocrity lies in the middle. Slipknot tries to merge the popular with the extreme, and fails at both.

Attached: iron_maiden_band_by_danwind_dchwnkf-fullview.jpg (1024x693, 143K)

I disagree, maybe if you've only heard some of Slipknot's radio singles from the mid 00s and up you might have that opinion, but....this is buttrock? This sounds like Creed?
youtube.com/watch?v=m3I3-KTJbtY
It's definitely "metal", whether it's good metal or not...that's up for debate.
>Not even "proper" screamed vocals
Meh....it's pretty much the Phil Anselmo school of screaming(aggro, not his early Halford esque screaming), not growling, but done worse than Phil Anselmo.

Yeah what this guy said Metal started in the 1970's, you're talking about specific subcultures. If any music was ever truly supposed to present itself as "anti pop" it was punk rock, not heavy metal. You had plenty of heavy metal that was "poppy" to a degree, at least in the sense of being appealing to a larger than niche audience including women and being melodic.

>Pop metal is a thing. It sounds like Iron Maiden, Dio, Judas Priest, Rainbow, etc.
No, that's what heavy metal in it's purest form sounds like. "Pop metal" sounds like some Dokken songs and Def Leppard.

Attached: Dokken-Tooth_And_Nail-Frontal.jpg (953x953, 140K)

image over songwriting, a modern day glam band

Now, this is an interesting statement. There are tons of bands on the flipside who can't write a song to save their life, who's entire reputation is based on being extreme and technical....or extreme and minimal, what do you say about that?

Attached: Corey-Taylor-SXM.jpg (870x570, 104K)

I only like their early heavier albums precisely because of the aggressive yet poppy (very very rhythmic) sound.

I wouldn't call their early albums poppy really, aside from some songs like Wait and Bleed, but even still....compare it to their peers like Linkin Park

all metal is "poppy" you retards
it's literal pop music

they're edgy, loud and fun.
for example, people are turned off by BM's blasphemy and satanic gimmick, and it's also not fun enough.
Slipknot just hit all the right spots to get a great number of people loving the shit they do. simple as that.

I mean to be fair most older metalheads don't like black metal either, contrary to popular belief and revisionist history black metal was not popular when it was relevant, it was an extremely niche thing. You only see an abundance of support for it now because of the internet and contrarian culture.

I've never really listened to Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, but I'm interested. What do you recommend?

I'm not big on slipknot but fuck you with your 'not even "proper" screamed vocals" like there's a right way, turning metal more into the formulaic bullshit it is.
I like slipknot's yells more than most metal bands, they feel way more guttural and cathartic, genuine even. Most 'heavy metal screams' with ~proper safe breathing techniques~ are so cheesy and cringe.

The only albums you need from iron maiden are "The number of the beast" and "Powerslave". Have fun my friend.

Attached: ceb.gif (500x500, 97K)

i loved every single album by iron maiden start to finish besides no prayer for the dying and fear of the dark (but each have their moments)
even their newer albums are really good which is so rare.

Judas Priest is a bit more inconsistent but still has a really good discography.
Sad Wings of Destiny (their second) is a really good album start to finish.

Start from the first album and go forward, I never understand these kind of questions. Do zoomers just not know how to get into music anymore?

Slipknot is just embarrassingly bad

Iowa was only album worth listening

We get it. Popular thing bad. Give it a rest will ya

self titled and iowa are good you fucking retard

Not what I'm saying at all...plenty of older bands are popular with older metal audiences, like Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, etc, even Pantera before they died were loved by old metal fans despite reaching heights of fame around the time Slipknot got famous....I'm just questioning what exactly it is that separates bands like Slipknot from the old school

Just as Metallica scared early boomers, Slipknot scares late boomers and early Gen X-ers. Slipknot is heavier than those bands, with scarier lyrics and imagery, so it scares them. Simple as.

Slipknot is not scarier or heavier than bands from the 80's at all, they're not heavier than Pantera even who like I said were most famous around the same time Slipknot rose up, but death metal was a thing in the 80's and earlier 90's

Hell if you wanna go by image alone and not music, GWAR was way more gruesome in that regard than Slipknot. In either cause, it was not a case of Slipknot being scary or heavy, if anything the argument I hear is that they seemed too trendy or modern

Attached: deicide_st_(big).jpg (500x500, 51K)

OK thanks anons

Yeah they literally are. As someone who’s a fan of

•The British Big 4
•The American Big 4
•Pantera
•Exodus
•Overkill
•Guns N Roses
•and many more

all of which im familiar with their entire discography, Slipknot is demonstrably heavier than all of them in every way shape and form and youre fucking braindead if you think otherwise.
Notice, i said heavier, not necessarily better. Thats a different topic.

But anyways thats what scared ppl away.
Its perfectly reasonable for a normie to say “yeah i like [any of the above mentioned bands] but that new Slipknot band is just a bit too much for me.”

As for GWAR, theyre irrelevant to this topic because nobody fucking knows who they are lmao. Also their imagery wasnt even scary it was just straight up stupid. Whereas Slipknots (especially around Self-titled and Iowa) imagery was enough to be mildly frightening (to a normie at least) but not so over the top that it just looks ridiculous

God now i remember why fucking hate Yea Forums so much

Gwar is cheesy and the music isn't crazy. Early Slipknot was actual game changer in era, they had the image, hard songs and energy. It's complete entertainment that headliners hated them because people leave after they played

Death metal started in the 80's, is known by all old school metalheads on some level, and is far more "scary" and heavy than Slipknot, far more disturbing and blasphemous lyrically and far more heavy and fast musically. GWAR is also known by all older metalheads, and yes their shit was more gruesome than Slipknot. Slipknot wore masks and jumped up and down, GWAR sprayed blood on the audience and skinned people alive on stage.

>Gwar is cheesy

No they are 100% high art and not a joke in the slightest.

Gwar is a cartoonish gore dadrock kys if you thibk they're scary at all. and death metal bands havs no image and look and sound the same to the masses. Who cares about lyrics???

They're a parody band

Pfft... yeah right. Of what?

The point is...Slipknot is not scary to anyone who was into metal pre Slipknot, period. You clearly know no metal pre Slipknot. Nobody found Slipknot scary when they came out aside from the 12 year olds who were their target audience, older fans had seen and heard far scarier and heavier music in the form of death metal whether they liked it or not. Entrails Ripped From a Vrigins Cunt in 1992 vs. PPL = Shit in 2002....I wonder how one could shock the other

Attached: gwarkills.jpg (480x360, 17K)

>this whole thread
Gotta love how metalheads on this board like to call everyone a tourist but then show complete ignorance of the bigger bands.
Keep listening to Burzum, hipsters.

their lyrics are so general and angsty in order to appeal to a wide range of teenagers. its an easy way to becoming mainstream. look at any other mainstream "metal band". disturbed does this, metallica etc.

Burzum is a meme band, no older metalheads like them either....

Of fantasy alien monsters
Slipknot is not scary you mong. Am i talking to a fucking boomer? They're more creepy than anything. To me the early look just looks cool, Gwar on the otherhand can make it to cartoon network if they censor the dicks

They incorporated shit that was seen as trendy garbage by the metal community, like DJing, gimmicky outfits, rapping, pointless "percussionists" banging on trash cans and acting edgy, super down tuned guitars and simple riffs, they were pretty much seen as the ultimate in 90's trends, and everyone rightfully foresaw it wouldn't last. their outfits aren't generic anymore, meaning they were full of shit saying about how it was to make it not about them personally but the music, their riffs have become more traditionally arranged and complex, the rapping has mostly gone away, the "percussionists" are still there but nobody pretends they're actual musicians anymore, and they lost what early edginess and shock value they had. This coming from someone who really liked the self titled and Iowa albums, they had a sort of weird white dude creepy school shooter aggression that was palpable and appreciable, as they went on they lost that and just made music for the masses so they could become rich, starting with vol3 but especially on the next album. They went from Korn on math to Daughtry drunk on Bud Light Limes. In appealing to the boomers and radio stations, they lost the original audience of edgy wiggers in trailer parks, but that didnt matter because they aren't a big audience in the first place.

>there's out of touch hipsters here thst unironically think GWAR isn't a joke band

Cus Corey is a nice guy

GWAR is a joke band, but they were way more perverse and gruesome than Slipknot in every way

Slipknot scared nobody with their halloween masks, that's the point that was being made. Musically, Slipknot look like teenyboppers compared to the death metal bands of the late 80's and early 90's....Slipknot talked about angst exclusively and their music wasn't heavier than even the most pedestrian of death metal bands, like Cannibal Corpse, who "shocked" the world nearly a decade before Slipknot became a phenomenon. Just stating facts you moron.

Attached: cannibaltomb.jpg (1500x1493, 550K)

Slipknot isn't scary to me, but they're surely scarier than Gwar. How old are you so we can identify if you're a fucking boomer or some zoomer who just got into metal and went in the slipknot bashing phase to fit in

Attached: b7466f9c5780f74f7f1a041bc6a12fbf.630x621x1.jpg (630x621, 86K)

I'm 30, I was prime age for Slipknot and was there when they blew up, and am a fan on some level. You're missing the entire point of the thread because you're a fucking retard who doesn't know metal. I'm glad I knew metal even before my mallcore phase, I should be fortunate for that.

You're the fucking moron here who'se still oblivious to why slipknot appeals more successfuly than the other shock metal groups and my favorite genre is death metal. It's a generation thing and I know a lot of old school metalheads who's guilty pleasure is slipknot's iowa

>you're the moron
>doesn't read the OP before posting in a thread with retarded shitposts

Moron.

30 years of chances to not be a complete faggot but you still are.

But the bottom factor is they went soft and mainstream fast. That's practically it. If they went further with the IOWA route they could potentially become darker and heavier. Which unfortunately will never happen. I especially enjoy the experimental stuff like gently, wish some death metal experiments with shit like that

>•The British Big 4
>•The American Big 4
>•Pantera
>•Exodus
>•Overkill
>•Guns N Roses
This gets you to like 1986 at the latest, brutal thrash, death metal, black metal, grindcore and industrial metal all started in the late 80s and are all heavier than slipknot.

Hmmm yeah i guess all those bands just stopped making music after 86. Silly me

Exactly like i said. Fucking stupid

80's metal was the worst.

mind clarifying which metal exactly? trad heavy? speed? doom? thrash? early death? glam? what makes it worse than any other decade to you? what 90s bands are your favorite?