Hundreds of thousands of masters burned

>The lost works included masters in the Decca Records collection by Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Al Jolson, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald and Judy Garland. The Decca masters also included recordings by such greats as Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five and Patsy Cline. The fire probably also claimed some of Chuck Berry’s greatest recordings, produced for Chess Records, as well as the masters of some of Aretha Franklin’s first appearances on record. The destroyed Chess masters encompassed nearly everything else recorded for the label and its subsidiaries, including most of the Chess output of Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Willie Dixon, Bo Diddley, Etta James, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy and Little Walter.

>Almost of all of Buddy Holly’s masters were lost, as were most of John Coltrane’s masters in the Impulse Records collection, releases by Ellington, Count Basie, Coleman Hawkins, Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Sonny Rollins, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Sun Ra, Albert Ayler, Pharoah Sanders and other jazz greats. The fire also claimed numerous hit singles, likely including Bill Haley and His Comets’ “Rock Around the Clock,” Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats’ “Rocket 88,” Bo Diddley’s “Bo Diddley/I’m A Man,” Etta James’s “At Last,” the Kingsmen’s “Louie Louie” and the Impressions’ “People Get Ready.”

Attached: Screenshot_20190611-073347_NYTimes.jpg (1080x1616, 563K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g
nytimes.com/2019/06/11/us/master-recordings-universal-fire.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oEB4Ml9vF6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=y7TPnH5emFg
youtube.com/watch?v=7CwKplZn11A
youtube.com/watch?v=g9lwcw-_nkY
youtube.com/watch?v=WdO6WAWmHxA
youtube.com/watch?v=EizWXkoz3PI
livenirvana.com/sessions/home/march-1994.php
livenirvana.com/sessions/home/march25-1994.php
livenirvana.com/sessions/home/november1617-1993.php
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>The list of artists affected spans decades of popular music. It includes recordings by Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway, the Andrews Sisters, the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Lionel Hampton, Ray Charles, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Clara Ward, Sammy Davis Jr., Les Paul, Fats Domino, Big Mama Thornton, Burl Ives, the Weavers, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Bobby (Blue) Bland, B.B. King, Ike Turner, the Four Tops, Quincy Jones, Burt Bacharach, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, Captain Beefheart, Cat Stevens, the Carpenters, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Don Henley, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Iggy Pop, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Barry White, Patti LaBelle, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Police, Sting, George Strait, Steve Earle, R.E.M., Janet Jackson, Eric B. and Rakim, New Edition, Bobby Brown, Guns N’ Roses, Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Sonic Youth, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Beck, Sheryl Crow, Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 Cent and the Roots, among others.

>UMG documents suggest that Steely Dan masters were in Building 6197 when the fire hit. According to Aronson, these likely included certain album masters, as well as multitrack masters holding outtakes and unreleased material. “Those songs,” Aronson says, “will never be heard again.

>Then there are masters for largely forgotten artists that were stored in the vault: tens of thousands of gospel, blues, jazz, country, soul, disco, pop, easy listening, classical, comedy and spoken-word records that may now exist only as written entries in discographies.

Imagine if something of value had been lost.

Attached: 1308644138203.jpg (460x288, 97K)

Meh who cares about some boomer shit

Cringe and yikes :(

an important time capsule, regardless of the quality of it's contents, should be mourned when lost. just in case that happens, threads like these should be pruned so we don't worry for no reason.

Attached: dio.png (685x408, 495K)

It's sad, but pretty much everything of worth was already released, right?

Who gives a fuck?

Musicologists will still shit their pants.

>hurr wut duz master mean?

follow the money trail. more than likely a collection this significant was insured. somebody needed the cash and gave zero fucks about the music. insurance fraud happens more often than you think

>Wah wah a bunch of cassettes got burnt

It's all on digital now bitch
Fake news

xD being underage is fun!!!

I recognize maybe 40% of the artists you listed and probably have only ever actively listened to 10% of them. Don't care.

Not a big loss for music...... or is it? Comment below let me know.

True.

guess we should just burn the mona lisa for kindling, everyone's already seen it on a postcard

See

If it's all stuff that's publicly available, then it doesn't matter

this shit is literally on spotify
fuck off

seethe boomer

I wonder how many accidentally recorded slurs in the booth were in there

>thinking studio masters were held on "cassettes".
hahaha. imbecile
thats like google storing all its mainframes on 8GB memory sticks. patiently absurd.
neck yourself idiot

as long as the Die Lit master tape is still safe, we coo

just say you don't know. its ok...

See

>At the time, the fire made news around the world, and the vault featured heavily in that coverage. But most articles focused only on the video recordings in the archive and, even then, news outlets largely characterized the disaster as a crisis averted.

>There was a highly concerted effort to play down the scope of the loss as a “triumph of crisis management” that involved officials working for Universal Music Group on both coasts. Those efforts were undoubtedly aimed at minimizing public embarrassment, but some suggest the company was also particularly worried about a backlash from artists and artist estates whose master recordings had been destroyed.

>The real extent of the loss was laid out in litigation and company documents: “Lost in the fire was, undoubtedly, a huge musical heritage,” reads one 2009 internal assessment.

Hmmm....

And nothing of value was lost

so what?

I know what masters are
All this stuff is easily available. Now they just can't make shitty remasters and re-mixes every 5 years "straight from the original masters"

But imagine if something of value was lost.
And you can't.
Literally.

Attached: nine_s.jpg (600x800, 126K)

Good
Maybe now we can forget about all that shit

and digicucks will still think the remastered cd they got a few year ago is better than an original pressed vinyl

literally who even are half these people desu

Once a civilization doesn't care about its own history and culture, and let it burn in fires and indifference, it means this society is already collapsing and dying.
Prove my wrong. Spoiler: you can't.

if you actually knew what a master was, you would not say that they are easily available.
the use of the master I wont argue with you about though

waht you wrote prove that you don't know what a masters are.
Don't @ me anymore.

I rarely listen to anything made before the mid 1990s so whatever

Wow people are virtue signalling with age now?

The music is easily available everywhere (and if they were sensible they would have backed all this up)

>would have backed all this up
still not knowing what a master is
and yeah sure everything is on spotify its all just as good
fuck, what?

>american pop muzak
Who gives a shit?

We all knew this in 2008 so why are you talking about it now?

You can make copies of a master, retard. Some of this stuff would have likely degraded so badly over the years that it's become unplayable. And they should have digitized the masters.
It's not the big tragic story it seems. We didn't actually lose a shit ton of music, you know.

>patiently absurd
i'm in no rush

literally kys how can you be so dense

I don't know. The boomers on the Steve Hoffman forum have been recently complaining about this too. Music didn't fall off a cliff guys.

The story didn't come out until today. UMG brushed it under the rug.

OHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO that sucks now record companies can't give fans a super loud anniversary re-release of a classic album, or shill a shit ton of songs that actually weren't catchy or good enough to be b-sides
that's all any of these masters were going to be used for.
not only do people not know what a master is, it doesn't even matter because, chances are, nothing good was going to come of this material.
can you explain why this is important news to anyone? as long as you're not a musicologist, biographer, or lawyer of the artists' estates, this is borderline irrelevant

>we just need to photocopy all teh art and who cares about the originals
protip: when you so obviously dont know anything, you should probably remain silent kid. your posts are just a demonstration of deliberate ignorance

>boomer trash

Based, burn it all

Attached: fire.jpg (768x1024, 145K)

Fuck me is this why Hole never did reissues of their stuff

>notre dame was just boomer shit
fuck off kid, stay in school

Can't really compare that though. Masters mainly exist for means of mass duplication and don't represent the art itself while drawn artworks are intended to be unique physical objects (although there's exceptions). It's more comparable to negatives of famous pictures being lost.

It's not like a painting, retard. If they backed everything up, then your music is in pristine condition and perfectly safe from any real harm.

good explanation, upvoted my dude :)

Attached: 1273469538893.jpg (450x300, 73K)

>only reads half the post and starts yapping

>music history lost forever
>WHY WOULD A MUSIC BOARD CARE WHAAAAAA A LETS POST MORE SHITTY MEMES AND WAIFUS
I hate summer

My sweet sweet boomer child.

>>music history lost forever
Nothing at all is lost, except maybe a few shitty outtakes.

why shouldn't a music board care faggots, answer the question

Oh no my masters

*shoots self*

Attached: Bert.jpg (993x941, 202K)

I read.
You are incapable of coming up with a decent response to any of my statements, so you just fling insults.

your statements show a clear lack of understanding kid
and im sorry, which of us is flinging insults? look up... look way up

this board is irredeemable trash

Oy Gevalt, what a holocaust

Yeah, you've got nothing of worth to say.
I know this news seems bad, but it's not actually a big deal, especially if they've backed everything up digitally.
Go on, try to prove to me that backing things up is a bad thing. (And, no, I don't mean Spotify)

not true, you've just ignored it.
>digital backups
whatever kid

>The fire also claimed numerous hit singles, likely including
>likely

Fire was eleven years ago and they still haven't bothered to check?

You've outed yourself as the idiot if you've honestly never heard of digitizing masters.

It wasn't always like this.
I don't know what happened in 2016, but there was a drastic change in this board's culture and quality and it's been a nosedive since.

Comfy entry-level-hipster-garbage Yea Forums is long gone.

Attached: 1426668986409.jpg (500x587, 148K)

Why would anyone want to to listen to music by an artist that wasn't on the studio album?

What?

>most of John Coltrane’s masters in the Impulse Records collection
god damn

You are the one who is deliberately ignorant about masters so whatever, go off. enjoy yourself, i hear it really is bliss so you must be the happiest fucker here.

t. Autistic boomer

Yep, just as I thought. You're an idiot.

Demos, outtakes, alternate mixes, etc that are in with the master

Oh no, they can’t re-release all of that shit into infinity anymore

It all would've turned to dust eventually anyway.

This.

Based

Why would anyone want that shit?

>LE EPIN PATRICIAN FACE XDDDD ME? OH YES I LISTEN TO OBJECTIVELY GOOD MUSIC MY MAN, SWANS, SLINT, MY BLOODY VALENTINE, THE LIST GOES ON XDDDD

You can get some killer jazz improvisations and sessions

I don't get the faggots in here crying over this.

At best, a very small numbers of these masters were being used for shitty re-releases. At best.

For the vast majority of those recordings they wouldn't have been released to the public in any capacity anyway. You would've never heard them. This is a fucking multi-billion dollar corporation that has lost some ip it accrued over a century. Shit they don't care enough about to ever release it to the public or make it available to you. Because fuck you. That's why.

Why should I cry over something I would've never gotten anyway?

lame boomer shit

It’s not that uncommon for b-sides or singles to not make albums, and they can be good? Who the fuck only listens to studio albums especially if it’s by one of your favorite artists

>Nine Inch Nails and all that other garbage old shit
Good. Literal boomer trash at this point. Yea Forums would've freaked out if it was Kanye West or anything of real value.

Because it's cool

>being this proud of your own ignorance

Not an argument. :)

Because of music preservation you dumb underage shit

Attached: 7663772ee94a67b0803cdd2e9182939a.jpg (500x281, 34K)

Thread theme

youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

>Not an argument. :)
Not an argument either, but face it, you have objectively shit taste, zoomer.

>hurr you gots nothing just throw da insultz
I check back and you are still at it, holy shit kid

2/10

Studio albums are all that matters
Why does anyone need the fucking 30 bob dylan outtake boxsets or 500 grateful dead concert cds

2/10 - needs to talk less and listen more

Nihilist zoomers should all die a slow painful heat death of the universe if they want it so bad.

>bunch of nigger & jew music burns

Attached: c23043586ecfe8b316589e84f22c38c8.gif (500x282, 471K)

Not a big loss for music.

not all artists manage to put their best stuff on studio albums. dylan is a good example; sometimes the guy bounces around and reorders and remakes until the last second, which has led to some albums (or even long stretches of his career) to be dismissed as underwhelming/uninteresting

the numerous outtakes collections and live releases since ~1991 have rectified some of this. it's frankly astonishing to hear the songs, versions, or takes he has left on the cutting room floor throughout his career, or how a wet fart studio track can sputter into life during an inspired live performance. by now there's got to be nearly half a dozen rarities/live sets that sit comfortably in the upper echelon of his discography. and it's not even some sort of calculated scheme, it's just the result of how this particular artist has worked over the decades

and while i am not a grateful dead listener, i suspect they're similar to dylan (though more live-oriented?). there's an entire world of nuance in each catalog

i suppose it's a matter of how you listen to/consume music in the streaming era. most of Yea Forums seem to gorge themselves on genres and styles via charts and recommendations; there's always more, more, more just a click away. but you rarely see any artist-specific deep-diving or nerdiness on this board (the recent radiohead leak threads were an anomaly in this case)

Attached: 1559733000862.jpg (177x215, 10K)

lole shut the fuck up nerd

boomer music = pwned

the only people that care about outtakes and alts are big records companies eager for the artist to die so they can release a 299 dollar boxset special ultimate edition plus

upboated
yeah, they probably don't mind. the majority of all rereleases are probably unnecessary; the current trend of remixing ~50 y.o. albums that have no need for it is downright shitty and revisionist

for example, the recent beatles box sets didn't exactly blow me away. the outtakes and alternates on those are just work towards getting the master. very little experimenting going on. even the esher tapes, as nice as it was to hear them in full, fall into this category. but they were appreciated by many people, and it's nice to be able to go back to them whenever interest flares up

>for example, the recent beatles box sets didn't exactly blow me away. the outtakes and alternates on those are just work towards getting the master. very little experimenting going on. even the esher tapes, as nice as it was to hear them in full, fall into this category. but they were appreciated by many people, and it's nice to be able to go back to them whenever interest flares up

Attached: 1471736887408.jpg (476x476, 33K)

Be real, it doesn’t matter anyway

tru dat homie

shut up

no

checks dem triplahs

Attached: bateman awe.jpg (816x816, 229K)

rude

this
and still fuck all that shit
if its so good how come it ain't on the album

maybe stop treating albums like they're the final word on how a song is supposed to be presented

only good post in the thread

they literally are though
that's the final product
all others are inferior

>going full boomer
gonna be a yikes from me, senpai

>all others are inferior
Well that's assuming the artist properly had the time to create said final product. Maybe one of the takes was what the artist wanted to push forth but it got overridden by the studio.

Plus why would you want to deprive yourself of more music from an artist you enjoy?

If you were actually able to refute my argument that they should have digitized all this you would have.
In fact, they've probably backed up all this stuff somewhere anyway. They could have not told a soul about this for centuries and no one would notice. And it doesn't really matter if they haven't backed up anything. Don't kid yourself, everything worthwhile was already released and it's will always be possible for what was already released to continue to be released.

yeah except its $50

hey buddy I'll let you in on a secret...you don't have to pay for music.

just get it back by downloading soulseek. what's the big deal?

the 2016 election and the resulting influx of reddit fags is why everything took a nosedive

>they should have digitized all this
>they've probably backed up all this stuff somewhere anyway
>no one would notice
>it doesn't really matter if they haven't backed up anything
>everything worthwhile was already released
seems like we've got the undisputed world champion of pulling things out of your ass itt

>Meh who cares about some boomer shit

Will you care 30, 40 years from now when it's your favorite artists?

Fuckin' LOVE this kid attitude: I got mine, sucka!

>It's all on digital now bitch
>Fake news

True news: Even with a digital transfer, there is nothing like first-generation master tapes. Also, chances are 99:1 against any of the multi-track studio tapes having been copied to digital.

So, for that material, future remixes are nearly impossible.

All that text just to say nothing of value was lost.

>So, for that material, future remixes are nearly impossible.
Oh, boo hoo.

Amazing all the shitheads in this thread saying good riddance to the tapes.

"As longs as I gots my Spotify, I's be okay, bitch!"

The de-evolution of the species has been accomplished.

You're right.
The movie industry doesn't keep every take of a scene. The music industry doesn't have to keep every take of a song, only the one worth releasing at the time.

The phrase “original master” refuted any of your so-called ‘arguments” before you even made them, you just don’t understand that yet. Maybe you will, I’m not sure. You seem really committed

This fire happened in 2008. Guess what, everything that was released has still been available for 11 years. It's not going anywhere.
And suggesting that a company should protect their documents is not "pulling things out of my ass". Libraries digitize everything. There is nothing stopped a record company from doing the same thing. I know that "audiophiles" are gullible suckers that will endlessly buy shitty boxsets and remasters, filled with subpar material as long as they've stated that it was mastered from the original tapes and have fallen for the "digital is the work of the devil" meme. There's no time for analog fetishism, it's either they digitize it or your precious alternate takes of tracks will rot away forever.

You can make copies of a master, retard.

WE ARE LIVING IN A DIGITAL AUSCHWITZ

>it's good all this important pieces of recorded music history are lost
I can't wait for summer to end and all these zoomer fuckheads trying to fit in can go away

Attached: 49949062_2272891102992552_8196130161616224256_n.jpg (960x532, 30K)

God I love this picture more than anything ever posted to the internet.

Nothing is actually lost, you braindead boomer.

Go ahead and save it to your hard drive, partner :-)

ok now you're just baiting

It's not good, it's simply irrelevant.
>b-but what about the possibility of a 25th anniversary edition version of downward spiral
idiot.
>b-but a-user i prefer songs that are so bad they didn't even make it on a b-side
idiot.

this
why does it have to be original tape? that shit is literally on spotify rn

Blah Blah Blah

Sounds like boomer fetishism to me...

sounds like someone can't come up with a decent argument and resorts to the stock "boomer" phrase

Assuming that whatever ends up on ~*da album*~ remains the final word is a far more boomer rockist take, desu.

Geez, for a music board you faggots don’t care about music at all, do you?

They only hid this information for 11 years because they knew retards like you would freak out about it. There's been several Nirvana deluxe edition box set reissues since then.

That doesn't mean it's sourced from the original masters. It could be a needle drop or something

So many fucking faggots in this thread. Yea Forums truly is dead.

>a bunch of jazz masters get destroyed
Good.

The fuck does Fantano have to do with it? What are you talking about

The music from these masters have been released to infinity. This just means they can’t remaster them or make new compilations. big deal

Oh my God.

Stay in school

If you knew anything about music you’d understand why thousands of historic masters being lost was a big deal

you didn't have read OP's post lmao shut up

He doesn’t though, I think it’s deliberate

Imagine if the Smile sessions had been lost

doesn't matter, if they weren't good enough for 1967 they weren't fit for release ever*

*according to some posters itt

Digital wins again.

Attached: Templars_on_Stake_02.jpg (387x448, 97K)

It's a shame so many people are proud of not knowing who these musicians are. There's some really beautiful music to be heard in that list. Truly a shame about Joni Mitchell especially.

Imagine how the musicians who lost their work feel. A lot of them have probably forgotten how to play their unreleased songs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

A bunch of crappy pop music isn’t of any real historical or cultural value.

this thread is an amazing (and sad) mirror.

ive never been more pro-leak than now however. 18 hours of radiohead saved.

You could be shown the Mona Lisa on a screen and then shown the original painting and you would know the difference. You could put on a pair of headphones and have someone play the master of a song and then play a high quality stream of the same song and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

>Will you care 30, 40 years from now when it's your favorite artists?
yes

> duuuurrrr i'm too retarded to post a link
it's dumb cunts like you that need to be gassed.

nytimes.com/2019/06/11/us/master-recordings-universal-fire.html

>18 hours of radiohead saved
that's a shame. it's 18 hours of cancer nobody would miss.

>masters burned

Y O U H A V E T O G O B A C K

>Yoko Ono
Might have been worth it

Dont shit yourself pecking the keyboard oldman.

>Dont shit yourself pecking the keyboard oldman.
the old man is right. but i will add: zoomers are the dumbest motherfuckers in the entire universe. suicide is best option for you. just do it, dumb cunt.

>Geez, for a music board you faggots don’t care about music at all, do you?

Welcome to Yea Forums

>and digicucks will still think the remastered cd they got a few year ago is better than an original pressed vinyl
depends on the remaster. vinyl is fucking garbage: limited dynamic range, limited frequency response and DEGRADES in quality the more you play it. do you think CD was invented just for a laugh? fuck, you're a dribbling spastic.

It took 9 years to figure out what happened?

*correction: 11 years*

Wow nothing of value was lost.

Read the article. Universal Music knew the extent.They just spun it in the media because they didn't want to face blowback.

Most of those artists are not worth saving

They were probably sourced from a variety of places. Whether it's from a copy of the original source or not is irrelevant, and I doubt anyone could honestly notice the difference.

>All this stuff is easily available.
The ignorance in this thread is staggering. All of the out takes are lost for fucking ever, ranging from Buddy Holly to Axl Rose.

These kind of masters are valuable relics in and of themselves that were there during the recording sessions - and they are analog tapes so either RIAA equalized vinyl or digital copies on CD will both not perfectly duplicate what's there.

But then, the tin eared imbeciles here would be happy with the lowest bitrate MP3 that sounds like it's under water.

You can definitely tell the difference between a needle drop vs actually going back to the tapes. There was a Springsteen reissue where they lost t an original b-side tape and just recorded off one of the 7" single pressing. Didn't sound great at all.

Smile is the exception to the rule and it's already has been released, so it's not an issue.
And The Beach Boys have released way too much useless junk in recent years. What's next? A box set with all the bass tracks Carol Kaye laid down? Nobody needs that garbage. Nobody needed Pet Sounds and Smile to be turned into expensive boxsets either, but Beach Boys fans for some reason love to listen to hours of studio chatter and flubbed takes. (And remasters are a scam anyway. It should be illegal to alter work after it's already been released.)

To be fair there’s a more historic element to Pet Sounds and Smile but basically any other album of theirs doesn’t deserve more then a regular reissue or a “deluxe edition” at most

Remasters did serve a purpose at one point, especially because labels botched putting older releases onto new CD format in the 80s

99.9999999999% of unreleased songs are shit.

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! WHY ARE YOU ALL LAUGHING AND NOT TAKING THIS SERIOUSLY!!!!! THIS BOOMER TRASH HAD PRICELESS ARTISTIC VALUE!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW IT'S GONE FOREVER!!!!!

Attached: 1555310017091.png (785x1000, 254K)

God I wish it was the fucking grateful dead archive that burned down. Every time I go into the local record store they never have what I want because they're always bulk ordering some new grateful dead shit.

ii swear there's a new live album or boxset or some garbage every few months. How are people buying this crap?

maybe they uhh .... like it

literally how
they had one 7/10 album and the rest is crap

Live albums are literally the biggest scam ever. And yet they're like boomer catnip.

i guess people like different things. i'm not too into the dead either but they must be doing something right

that said, some people on this board got their priorities fucked up. an audience bootleg snippet of jerry garcia scratching his pubes and smelling his hand is worth more than mac demarco's entire catalog

spoken like someone who's only heard stop making sense or some other stiff drama club kid bullshit

It's the same with Bob Dylan. Way overkill.

There's a brightside to everything :)

Attached: 232.png (1115x780, 523K)

See, there's nothing to worry about.
If you really want your precious masters, digitize them.

Oh god, that Blood on the Tracks outtakes box was in the store... 6 CDs
Good album but not that good

And then the new live one that just came in... 14 fucking CDs. Like are you joking?

Fuck off with that trash

>And then the new live one that just came in... 14 fucking CDs. Like are you joking?
its fuckin great

Saying a band makes good live albums is basically an insult, insinuating that their studio albums aren't very good.

Which if that's the case, then why even be in a band at all

yeah like what the fuck is uhh playing instruments and performing music and shit

>an audience bootleg snippet of jerry garcia scratching his pubes and smelling his hand is worth more than mac demarco's entire catalog

no
Mac is okay now but was good
Grateful Dead always sucked

lmao

Literally why would you store music on tapes?
Cassettes sound like shit.

>insinuating that their studio albums aren't very good
That's quite a leap you're making. It makes sense if someone said their live albums are better than their studio albums but simply saying their live albums are good implies nothing.

kek

If someone did say that, it would be a diss because live albums are inherently inferior as it is

Based wigger trash is safe.

haha bye

Attached: yay.png (122x162, 52K)

who even are most of these people

ok retard

Attached: goodo.jpg (640x636, 17K)

kek. Savage

bet you are a pedo freak

NO NO NO NO NONONNONONI9OPNBOPL;N
AAAAAAAAAA

>inherently inferior
You're still making these massive leaps. What about something like Public Castration is a Good Idea? It takes a more minimalist approach to the original songs. Yes they're technically the same songs but they're great in each of their respective albums.

this was me when i first read it but Unironically

>ITT: numales who listen to Deafhaven and Americ anFootball having a wankfest

depends on the artist desu

They never released out? because most of them we already have it in MP3. Whats the problem again?

Name 10 who have good outtakes

>Even with a digital transfer, there is nothing like first-generation master tapes.
None except a computer wouldnt knwo the difference.

okay i cant name ten but i can think of Some.

Name 5

some of my favorite nirvana songs are outtakes

>oh no, the Mona Lisa caught on fire! It’s ok, I can still look at it on google images

uhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHhHHHhhhH
okay ill think of as many outtakes as i can and ill also put an example or two below them to show what i mean

nirvana
youtube.com/watch?v=oEB4Ml9vF6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=y7TPnH5emFg

queens of the stone age
youtube.com/watch?v=7CwKplZn11A

the velvet underground
youtube.com/watch?v=g9lwcw-_nkY

i ran out of ones i can think of off the top of my head and im not even sure if all those count; clean up before she comes and ocean should at least count i guess

Don't really give a fuck. Bye Felicia.

Just delete this fucking board already. Jesus christ.

Not the same thing, retard.

these suck

My only concern is that they wont have the original work for whatever future technology we'll have for music, they'll have to reverse engineer it, but i guess that really isnt a big deal outside of vocals

You can print it and it would be the same. Whats the problem again?

>Nirvana
literally who cares

remasters of all of their albums have come out except for maybe Incesticide but who cares about that one anyway

AND just about every second of every Nirvana recording session have been released in boxsets already so really who cares

The only thing that they could possibly cultivate from would be the mountain of cassettes that Kurt made that are in Courtney's possession but again even those have been drained of everything that's interesting or listenable and sometimes not even that. Imagine the amount of cassettes that are warped an unlistenable too

Anyway not a big deal

womp womp womp

I was about to say that nothing of value was lost till I saw the fucking green text.

Based, there's already too much music out there. We need to burn more of it.

Attached: 16mag-Universal-image11-threeByTwoSmallAt2X-v6.jpg (1814x2048, 889K)

Yes god forbid we lose the... Bobby Blue Band masters

Oh whatever shall be done

>Elton John, Nirvana
These are irrelevant, dumb title grab.

there's still some stuff floating around that hasn't been released and is listenable, although most of it is probably lost

there is a listenable, higher quality version of 'Opinion' that hasn't been released and is known 100% to still exist because a few seconds of it were in the Montage of Heck trailer

there also was other stuff being worked on in 1994 shortly before Cobain's death besides YKYR, but these are probably lost since they haven't been released at this point; there is/was a version of Do Re Mi that was done with electric guitars and stuff with Cobain, Pat Smear, and one of the dudes from Hole

Yep, with this thread Yea Forums has officially become as cancerous as Yea Forums. It’s clear you all stopped caring about music a long time ago. Goodbye.

bitch bye
don't come back

FUCK. I would kill to hear the electric do re mi

JEWISH LIGHTENING

same, user. it's very sad that it appears to be missing. it's known that it at least did exist at some point too.

there were definitely some hidden gems in there. Yeah, most of the truly lost stuff might be shit, but there has to be at least one really good song that maybe we weren't ready for until about now. But I guess it doesn't really matter since i Only know maybe five of the artists mentioned and I'm already 20 years old so I know quite a bit about music by now and have already heard all the important stuff

Yes, there could've been an unheard Ink Spots song that would've been in the next Fallout........

What the duck. What the fuck. What the fuck. Not chill. This isn't Boomer shit it's preboomer shit from the peak era of American aesthetics. This is library of Alexandria tier for American art

How the fuck do you let this happen unless you want it to is my fucking question

>Elton John

Lol who gives a fuck

Don't worry, all the good stuff would have been released

Attached: 200_s.gif (500x200, 58K)

Big deal, final mixes of these artists have already been released countless times, they just won't be able to do any remasters which always suck anyhow

Attached: metallica-one.jpg (1000x1000, 1.08M)

This once again proves frank Zappa was smarter than every other artist and every fucking music company by hassling the fuck out of the music biz until he got all his masters back. And he threw em in an air tight steel vault underground.

Zappa: 198383848
Everyone else : -2

John Coltrane’s masters in the Impulse Records

sooo whoever has an original vinyl...it'll go up in value...right?

Attached: the-diabolical-biz-markie-t.jpg (1000x1000, 1.16M)

He wasn't that smart since he gave away publishing at the start

>higher quality Opinion
I'm fine with what's on With The Lights Out it's a fine quality Nirvana song anyway fits in with Old Age and Verse Chorus Verse. What WOULD have been better is if they released the full recording of Kurt on air with Calvin from Beat Happening, it was his radio show where Kurt debuted Opinion, Been A Son, and Lithium to the world showing the band's new sound. Some, if not the whole thing, is on Youtube where you can hear Kurt enter the studio and joke about how he wrote the lyrics on the way to the studio to make it spontaneous lol

>electric Do Re Mi
I'm fine with the acoustic version what's so great about some electric version.

Also what's the source on them "working on" outtakes from 1994? I could have sworn they had already milked Kurt's recording sessions dry by now

These comments... Holy fuck, I wish I could strangle these zoomers. A minute of Steely Dan is worth more than your entire life

This.
Such a "tragedy" they can't remaster Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for the 1000th time.
Self proclaimed audiophiles are just consumerist suckers.

Chill, gramps. It's not going out of print. I can still buy Steely Dan's music at the store.

I guess the records will be worth more now?

The best condition record is now the best edition in existence and it will never be surpassed. Data decays quickly

Probably not. There's other copies of a lot of these masters elsewhere. That's what happened with the unreleased John Coltrane album that came out last year.

>Opinion
i think that the higher quality Opinion sounds waay better. regardless of if you agree, there's no reason to not want it to be released -- more decent quality nirvana is always nice. here's the leak of the first few seconds of it that were taken from Montage of Heck:
youtube.com/watch?v=WdO6WAWmHxA

>Do Re Mi
the electric version would be great because the way the final version would've sounded is mostly a mystery. compare this acoustic home demo of you know you're right with the final studio version, for instance:
youtube.com/watch?v=EizWXkoz3PI

they share none of the same words, nor the same feeling. the demo is melancholy and has no sense of anger like the final version.

also, this electric version had multiple band members on it. it was basically like a studio demo. kurt was on drums and vocals, pat smear was on guitar, and then there was one of the guys from hole and i think he was playing bass but i'm not sure.

>Source
i didn't say they were going to release these 1994 recordings. presumably, this stuff is lost since they haven't released it already. but maybe there are still copies somewhere. you can only hope.
here's livenirvana records of the sessions during this time -- they have records of every known session they ever did, but these last two are mostly unknown because all the recordings from it have not been released/were lost.
livenirvana.com/sessions/home/march-1994.php
livenirvana.com/sessions/home/march25-1994.php

also, forgot to say this -- incesticide is like their second best album. some of their best songs are on there.

also here's something else that's never been released that should be of interest:
livenirvana.com/sessions/home/november1617-1993.php

its all digital and backed up in multiple places, this wont happen for new artists.

I know it's not the same record company, but I read that The Beatles' entire catalog was first digitized in 1988.

That data is saved to a drive that decays and every few decades must be recopied onto hardware that will also decay

get fucked jazz fags

what about when we have a massive solar flare that renders all our technology useless. :)
it almost happened in 2012.
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm

Attached: kindofblue.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

How is this news only getting out now?

Incredibly depressing

this should be the normal reaction to reading this
what the fuck are all these faggots doing saying "lol it doesnt matter it's just boomer shit!"

Preservation for whom though? Not that user but again majority of these masters would probably never have any chance of ever gracing the eardrums of any user browsing this site since it's inception, why should we care?

Thank you, based fire!

With documentaries like finding sugar man and and a band called death you never know what could be rediscovered.

Worse artists like cab calloway will never get proper restoration. Most of his recordings now are multi generation copies and are trash.

just the lowest form of shitposting

>According to Aronson, these likely included certain album masters, as well as multitrack masters holding outtakes and unreleased material. “Those songs,” Aronson says, “will never be heard again.“

Then maybe they should have released it. No sympathy for these corporations who lock up art and then complain that nobody got to hear it.

they covered it up

It's more likely because Courtney's "business communication" skills are Axl Rose tier.

this, plus she had kurt's leftovers to exploit. much more profitable

i know right.
on the plus side the millions of moronic selfies and insanely boring pics of meals will evaporate
but sadly so too will a trillion porn files

>What the duck. What the fuck. What the fuck. Not chill. This isn't Boomer shit it's preboomer shit from the peak era of American aesthetics. This is library of Alexandria tier for American art

None of the underage twits in this thread appreciate exactly what was lost. A ton of smaller labels from that era were rolled up into other labels, until Universal absorbed them all. Some stuff that was barely released from quirky little artists, other tracks never heard at all. Stuff that could have been explored for decades.

All concentrated into a trove that Universal tossed in a back corner of an ancient decaying soundstage near a theme park until the inevitable happened.

It's morbidly fascinating really, like the great Hollywood vault fires that wiped out most of the silent movies. Everyone thought such disasters were relegated to the old days and couldn't happen now, until this and it was even covered up to add insult to injury.

Attached: kurtpc.png (500x628, 568K)

Except the ones that weren't retard

>like the great Hollywood vault fires that wiped out most of the silent movies.
Not the same thing. All the important stuff has already been released. Nothing of worth has been wiped out. No more remasters/remixes/deluxe editions is a good thing.

Which was most of what was there. This place was literally the warehouse from Indiana Jones full of tapes, and Universal themselves didn't even have an inventory.

Hell, even the big name losses are pretty tragic - loss of the Appetite for Destruction master means we will never get to hear Axl getting a blowjob from a hooker during the sessions.

Cope harder, they’re fucking masters. Not meant to be heard, what’s the fucking problem? Gonna keep that old ass diaper gramps?

>All the important stuff has already been released. Nothing of worth has been wiped out.
Wow, you sound like you are a lawyer for Universal. Who the fuck made you the arbiter of what should be saved, or what is "important"? If you had actually read the article, you would see the scale of labels Universal had absorbed, and there is all sorts of stuff outside the mainstream hits buried there.

I don't think anyone here knows exactly what a master is - there is all sorts of valuable context attached to the real thing, and outtakes that are now toast.

>and outtakes that are now toast.
Good. Outtakes deserve to be wiped, like how in the movie world, deleted scenes and bloopers deserved to be wiped.
Everything that was meant to be heard was released. They're readily available and will always exist.

>Everything that was meant to be heard was released.
boomer mindset

This.
I’m a huge Steely Dan fan. Even I don’t give a shit. Let it fucking go, Gramps. You really wanna hear every fart and burp that went into a recording? It’s not important. What is meant to be heard is already out there. As for art, the analogy is not the same, and can’t be applied.

In your opinion. Others might like to hear that material. In additions, as I said, Universal assimilated lots of offbeat shit and some of their cuts had value but maybe one single made it leaving all sorts of stuff to be found on the original session.

Then there's the whole quality issue. The master IS the original. Higher bitrate AD converters and shit make them return to the master to get more out of it. Yeah, I know an MP3 with the quality of a phone speaker underwater is acceptable now.

>Even I don’t give a shit. Let it fucking go, Gramps. You really wanna hear every fart and burp that went into a recording?
Because "muh half a bit per second MP3zz" is all anyone needs, right faggot?

No, the boomers love their boxsets featuring endless takes of boomerbands blowing their noses.

>spotify

Looks like Eminem has something else to be pissed about.

ah yes the old 'music is better than ever, you just gotta know where to look' spiel
yawn

>has no idea how analogue vs digital works and sampling to and from
Every fucking time. Not even worth arguing with, you’re just ignorant. And very retarded.

>.mp3s
No respectable streaming platform uses mp3s, faggot. How do you not even understand the argument you’re presenting?

Was any of it produced by Rick Rubin? If so, then say goodbye to a listenable release.

>listenable remaster
I should read what I write before posting. Of course, if we all did that Yea Forums would shut down from inactivity.

>>like the great Hollywood vault fires that wiped out most of the silent movies.
>Not the same thing. All the important stuff has already been released.

It has also came out that they waaay understated the visual media losses in the fire. Those are 35mm movie film cans in the picture. Whole classic TV series were entirely lost in terms of original prints, so no 8k or whatever version will ever be made outside some shitty old VHS or shit.

Universal are such liars, they probably lost original movie negatives as well as those 35mm cans suggest, and covered it all up.

Attached: ufire.jpg (634x467, 80K)

You are completely braindead. I'm not talking about modern music, retard. All of Elton John's "burnt" albums can be purchased, and people will be able to purchase them until the end of time.

>REEEEEEEE, you used a generic term to refer to digital audio codecs triggering my 'spergers to show just WRONG you are!

For films, things are much better since the invention of home video. Movies and television shows of the last 40 years can't truly disappear.

You could at the very least argue properly. Or just straw man and speak in the third person implying to be me, which I don’t even believe. No one likes mp3s, historically they have always been lower quality for storage size, that was the entire selling point, you fucking retard. You could buy an iPod and have dozens of songs, instead of 4 or 5. Don’t reply to me if you’re just going to spaz out and type like a humongous retard that you are.

Not a total loss like the nitrate film days, but likely a big downgrade in quality for anything not on DVD at least. Like how they went back and made an HD transfer of the original Star Trek.

Stop typing like a boomer. Lay off the caps lock.

>Like how they went back and made an HD transfer of the original Star Trek.
They really shouldn't have unleashed that CGI-ified shitfest onto the world.

There was also just a straight HD transfer on the discs without the added videogame cgi "improvements". Which was more than George Lucas could say with the Star Wars "special editions".

Stupid boomers had it coming.

'I HOPE I DIE BEFORE I GET OLD'

Remember?
They started it all.

Attached: christgau.gif (180x161, 31K)

Good to know. I only saw it on tv a while ago. Although I'm not sure why a show from the 60s needs to be seen in HD. It's not really time accurate.

Like someone said, this included lots of pre-boomer music from big bands to the old bluesmen on the (totally burned) Chess catalog. They were not hippy-dippy faggots and deserved better.

Yeah, networks like METV show the shitty cgi version on tv. The HD version is nice for posterity, but probably has more detail from the original cheap sets than you might want - an old SD CRT tv set would probably make it look better with scanlines and shit.

>all that zoomer shitposting
i guess theyre taking revenge for all the "S" posts in their latest fave chimp n****gger mourning threads.

based

123 posters 312 replies
summer is here

sneed

all of the plebs itt are upset over their shitty zoomer rock, literally bottom on the barrel music like nirvana instead of mingus/coltrane/etc masters being lost