What did David Byrne think about Belew ripping him off this much?

What did David Byrne think about Belew ripping him off this much?

Attached: 877C416F-0430-4367-B4A7-11EE00ACE1F0.jpg (552x549, 43K)

Probably thought it made sense given Belew's involvement in Talking Heads

>Belew ripping him off
How can he rip off a band he was just in?

elephant talk is basically a talking heads song
although kc are more virtuosos than the raw punk/funk approach of the heads and play more prog versions of that style

>member joins band of musical genius
>plays on revolutionary album written by musical genius
>leaves band, releases album stealing the musical, vocal, and lyrical style of musical genius
It ain’t hard my friends

Matte Kudasai is the best song on that album

It's Thela Hun Ginjeet

"Shit, this is better than anything I'll ever make"

maybe if the sheltering sky didn't exist

i wish this was rerecorded without use of chorus effects

Odd way to spell Indiscipline, but otherwise I agree

all mongoloid choices. Indiscipline is the top tier song from this entire era of KC faggots

>What did David Byrne think about Belew ripping him off this much?
"Damn, I wish I could make an album interesting from start to end just like Belew's"

Belew is the genius and David Byrne is the ripoff who had more friends. It's obviously that.

Honestly, the similarities are very superficial.

>the artist who had already established himself with 3 great albums clearly demonstrating a logical progression is the ripoff
>not the guy who came on board for the 4th album and then immediately went and released an album that sounds just like the aformentioned artist

they're barely even similar, spotify pleb. people were doing stuff like this before byrne.

"For such kind of borrowing as this, if it be not bettered by the borrowers, among good authors is accounted Plagiarè."
- John Milton

You are aware that David Byrne doesn't own New Wave music in its entirety right?

Please post examples
>imb4 Liquid Liquid or the Stick Men
It’s not the same at all. Even if you’re to ignore the instrumentals, the absolute cringe vocals are such an obvious Byrne ripoff.

And David Byrne ripped off Bryan Ferry, and I'm sure Ferry ripped off something else. Life goes on, child.

Roxy Music and John Cale.

>I played little games with it.
>Like, not posting about it for years, and then posting abut it when it came on Spotify.
>Just to see if I was still a pleb...
>I WAS

>imagine thinking remain in light and discipline are so similar that you can call one of them a ripoff

Kek this is a joke right?
Listen to the most Talking Heads sounding Roxy Music song. Then listen to Elephant Talk. Tell me which sounds more similar, TH and RM, RM and KC, or KC and TH.

You're cringe, I bet you like mbv or some shit like that

Vocally they're all about the same difference to each other. Musically KC and TH are more similar, because they're in a whole different subgenre of rock. John Cale too.

Cool, one song out of seven, clearly plagiarism
Also, Elephant Talk is better than most tracks TH ever wished to put out

What Talking Heads song sounds like Elephant Talk?

I hate MBV lol shoegaze sucks
That’s some serious denial you got going on brother. Post one John Cale song that sounds as much like a RiL Talking Heads track as Elephant Talk does. I’ll wait.

Literally any song off side A of RiL but Born Under Punches is the most similar if you’re gonna pretend not to hear it.

>that sounds as much like a RiL Talking Heads track as Elephant Talk does
I can't, because I was comparing them vocally. I can post some examples where Cale and Ferry vocally sound similar to Byrne. Obviously the music won't be similar because Cale and Ferry weren't New Wavers. Also Discipline came out before Remain in Light.

But aside from maybe vocals (even this being a bit of a stretch), Elephant Talk would barely fit a TH album

>Also Discipline came out before Remain in Light.
Fuck ignore this part, I screwed up. I thought Discipline came out in 80 for some reason.

It doesn't matter, all that matters is that Discipline a better album

>basic slap bass part vs complex chapman stick part
>funk guitar part vs more rock based guitr part
>harmonies vs speaking vocal
>occasional synth entrances vs occasional chorused guitar stabs and extended technique
i guess they both talk-sing loudly. what similarities are you hearing?

Also, the rhythmic overlapping/polyrhythms on Remain in Light are more African influenced, while on Discipline they are obviously more influenced by Steve Reich's minimalism stuff. The only part of Discipline that I think really sounds like a Talking Heads song is the beginning of Thela Hun Ginjeet. but most of that song is a spoken word performance with a more post-punky backing and more guitar experiments and soloing. I would wager to say KC was also influenced by Peter Gabriel and his third album (which Fripp played on), which slightly predates RiL. I can hear some similarities between Gabriel and the Heads anyways. All these guys were inter-mixing and influencing each other in the same areas and in the same circles. Obviously Crimson was influenced by Talking Heads, but calling it a rip-off is overzealous

Talking Heads is the basedest one can get

>I hate MBV lol shoegaze sucks
pleb successfully ousted

bump

Why?

He does Byrne-type delivery in Elephant Talk and that's literally it.

Discipline is Remain in Light 2.0. It take the ideas of that record and expands what is possible with it. It is truly progressive in this sense, and I think hardly qualifies as a "rip off" as a result.

People saying there's no influence from one to the other are definitely burying their heads in the sand. They are similar records, and it's not surprising given Belew's guitar shaped the sound of Remain in Light quite a bit. In that sense it's Belew taking that framework RiL created for him and using it to write a whole new album. It's what everyone does in music- you take your influences and inspirations and you build on them.

Except without as much African influence.

It's still there (Thela Hun Ginjeet for example) but they definitely drew from other realms as well. East Asian influence plays a big role on Discipline.

Why’s Byrne getting credit for RIL? All he does is put cringeworthy weak soulless vocals on it. The jams were done by the actual instrumentalists (one of whom was Belew,) and the jams were put together by Eno. Byrne only brings shallow meme value for kiddies to make THATS NOT MY HOUSE jokes.

Not to mention that Fripp worked with Talking Heads, and Byrne appears on a Fripp record, all in the same ~2 year time span. These bands were all part of the same scene.
Elephant Talk is the only truly Talking Heads-ish song in Discipline anyway. Maybe Thela Hun Ginjeet can be said to be some I Zimbra - The Great Curve combo.

The true biggest influence on Discipline, if there has to be a 'one', is Steve Reich.

>god i wish that was me

What was XTC and andy partridge ripping off at that time? probably nothing.

He played guitar on it and his lyrics and vocals are interesting.

>the jams were put together by Eno
True, and the chorus line to Once in a Lifetime was also him.

Byrne was still the principle songwriter of that album though, it wouldn't have happened and had the cohesiveness it did without him.

the kinks

>Artist has a successful career with a variety of musicians and has written a number of great albums both with and without the band he got famous in
>no lol he's a hack everyone else did it for him
contrarianism is retarded

everyone ripped off the kinks
most based band of all time

byrne's lyrics were great

lol why does everyone call remain in light polyrhythmic when clearly you have no idea what polyrhythms are.
If you don't know music theory, stop pretending

>is Steve Reich.
this
great use of the influence too

>Fripp releases Discipline on Spotify
>pleb opinions about it are posted on Yea Forums

based

Because it literally contains polyrythms you retard.

maybe 'polymetric' applies to it more often, but it still has polyrythms.

Not that user, but where are the polyrhythms OR polymeters on RiL? I'm pretty sure every instrument is playing in 4 (meter) and I don't hear any out of 4 subdivisions (rhythm). There might be some triplets in Belew's solo on Born Under Punches, but that isn't really enough to call the song polyrhythmic. Pretty much every layer on RiL is dedicated to playing 4/4 and playing rhythms of 4 in 4/4. It's actually kind of the entire point of the album's sound, it's supposed to loop and feel very forward moving. Polyrhythms would disrupt the hypnotic monotony the loops are trying to push.

Discipline on the other hand is definitely polymetric. Fripp's guitar in Frame by Frame is in 7/8 and 6/8 while Belew's is in 4/4 all the way through; Indsicipline has a main riff in 5/4 while the underlying rhythm is in 4/4. Thela Hun Ginjeet has another 7 over 4 polymeter. Discipline is ridiculously polymetric- the drums are in 17/16 and the guitars synch and desynch between 3/4, 4/4, 5/8, and I think either 7/8 or 15/16 at the end. There aren't any polyrhythms on Discipline though that I can think of (nothing plays in 5 or 7 or even 3 in the same space of a bar of 4/4, for example).