/jazz/

I'm having a jazz party tonight by myself, gonna listen to pic related and some other stuff I haven't decided on yet. What albums are you digging? Are there any jazz musicians lurking that want to talk about their instruments and experiences? I'm thinking of getting a saxophone but in the mean time going to get more serious about guitar, bass, and keyboard.

Attached: 35-JACK-JOHNSON-R°.jpg (800x800, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7YJWtm9dxjk
youtube.com/channel/UCDNNBcbKibt1wmtNqXv0MXw
youtube.com/watch?v=pUsuEQku0G4
youtu.be/hyaQoYUPuVM
medium.com/london-literary-review/my-lunch-with-miles-davis-8fbd7da9bb0
youtu.be/r475aiuhDBY
youtu.be/iVSkUM8TQpc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think i'm gonna apply for a musician's funding to get myself a new guitar. Gotta make an album in order to get the funding though. I think the album making is gonna happen this summer. Victor Baker would be great.

I've been digging the album that is seen here. Absolutely insane playing from start to finish

Attached: front.jpg (1047x844, 513K)

What did Miles Davis mean by this?

Attached: miles davis quote.png (850x400, 390K)

I play jazz piano and drums ama

What are you guys favorite experimental/avant-garde jazz album?

Attached: R-1442126-1445611711-6904.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 60K)

These guys
youtu.be/7YJWtm9dxjk

How much do you practice? how long did it take you to get passable chops? What are your practice methods? Do you learn by listening to records?

Attached: SV164_web_1024x1024.jpg (600x600, 129K)

dude just stops playing at one point and checks his fucking phone

anyone have any jazz wallpapers?

4-6 hours a day, in 2-3 two hour sessions with breaks every 45 or so. Morning, and either an evening or an afternoon session, or both. Make this part of your daily routine, and make your practice time sacred. This is the difference. No matter what you practice every day. No matter what.
chops come after a while but it Depends on the instrument. Drums and guitar happen fast, piano takes long time depending on where your focus is either theory/jazz or pure classical for chops. I can give you direction for exercises but it depends on which instrument you wish to study. Piano chops come from classical music and technical studies scales arpeggios trills etc. Drum chops from pad work and stick control applications to the kit, joe morello accent studies, syncopation sight reading, Alan Dawson rudiments ritual, brush Work

Metronome or you’re not practicing. Always count out loud, preferably almost shouting or at least making it a firm statement. Generally the faster you play the slower the metronome clicks. Try putting it on 2 and 4 IF you’re a beginner acquiring a rock solid internal
Downbeat pulse is your top Priority so count for that to happen most quickly. Look into 2/3 and 3/4 polyrhythms

Listening is fully half of improving as a musician. Transcribing is also important and you should sing the line with and without the record before attempting to decode the notes with your instrument, but not as important as listening to a lot of Music. Try to set aside an hour a day exclusively for critical listening to albums or what have you

Thank you. I'm not sure which instrument to focus on though ill probably focus on guitar since it's what i have the most experience with. Sounds like I should really get a teacher to make sure I'm doing all this stuff correctly.

You’re gonna need to work
On your ear so pick up a sight singing book and start working on the melodies. Instrument and memorizing are fine the actual sight singing kindof just happens for free. Find an ear trainer and work on identifying scale degrees and chord qualities.
We have a musical imagination and it needs to be developed. Work on singing fifths in your head. Sing a c, and then a g, and then make them pulse
Cgcgcgcg until you’re imagining the interval

When playing you need to be singing whatever it is you’re playing in your mind. Make it boom. Analyze the music you’re learning as best u can. Sing inner voices and play the outer. So sing E and play cg.

Don’t make the mistake I did. Get a teacher or you’re gonna be flailing in deep water trying to figure out proper technique. You will save years if u get a decent one and there is no nobility in wasted time

Understand music takes a long time to improve at and progress is not linear so stick with it
Guitar is stupid easy just keep your wrists in alignment. Work on hammer on scales fingers 124. Arpeggiate the scales in all directions. Up c maj down d min up E minor etc. up the neck. Across the neck. Down the neck. Get your economy and alternate picking on point. Get a classical guitar teacher and learn classical music. As soon as u can, work on Bach inventions

I like this channel for bop
Stuff and he’s got some guitar
Specific things too. Look into Barry Harris stuff. Torrent the dvds and do all the work
youtube.com/channel/UCDNNBcbKibt1wmtNqXv0MXw

Is David Kikoski the best straight ahead pianist around right now? I know there are some great players who do more free stuff but David Kikoski has to be one of the best at playing changes. The only one who could maybe compete is Mehldau.

youtube.com/watch?v=pUsuEQku0G4

Attached: 010D67B4-1FC0-4AEE-9335-AD6098D16FE5.jpg (450x300, 13K)

im eating pizza and i get to listen to jazz!

Most new jAzz is insufferable I super love this
youtu.be/hyaQoYUPuVM

Near the end of the interview, I’m not sure how we got on the subject, but he offered this comment, which I memorized word for word. He said: If somebody told me I only had one hour to live, I’d spend it choking a white man. I’d do it nice and slow. If I got tired I’d stop, have a glass of water, and choke him some more. I was stunned. I had every intention of using it and I asked him if he was concerned people would think him a racist. He didn’t blink. It’s the prejudice white people I’m talking about, he said. If the shoe don’t fit they don’t have to wear it.

can u link the interview what year was this?

he is obviously into bdsm and breath play

medium.com/london-literary-review/my-lunch-with-miles-davis-8fbd7da9bb0

He is a motherfucker for sure. You might also like Luis Perdomo

>Most new jAzz is insufferable
Why

Too much quartal
Doesn’t feel honest
Rare to find good free
Chopping chops chopping
Scales everywhere
No tasteful balance between 3 and 4
Nobody plays like Ahmad Jamal anymore
good fusion is rare
Ecm, need i say more?
Just sounds like the 60s
Rhythmic masturbating
Melody boring
Triplet fills on the drums 100% of the time
Recording equipment makes everything sound like plastic
Too much trading and boring ensemble passages
And the facts
>Most of it is too effeminate
I’m almost certain lage and hekselman are faggots and they’re corrupting the scene

I really really like this though
youtu.be/r475aiuhDBY

hey any advice for piano?
im just starting to play, what are the basics that i must learn and how should i make the transition into more complex jazz stuff?

sounds like it would be a nice party user
have fun

yeahhhh lofi distorted guitar and rock beats. masculine as fuck. everybody but us is gay bro. good thing we’re not fags, right bro? keep on rockin in the free world.

>fags are corrupting the scene
>posts nir felder

Attached: Nir-Felder-Max-Frankl-Interview.jpg (1500x1127, 501K)

Maj scales 12 keys
All arpeggios Triads7ths 9ths
play scales up in thirds so 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 1 and down etc
Arpeggiate all scales in 4 directions
Intervalic scales all intervals and directions

Learn all the things u r
Roots Lh melody rh
Root 7 lh arpeggios rh
Switch
Pick an extension and voice all changes with that extension
So for attya play everything as a 9th chord
Then work on running scales into that particular scale degree
Do this for all degrees
Practice roots on 1 and the and of 2
Barry Harris DVD’s all exercises
Learn the blues and those Lh boogie patterns
Probably start with the blues
All pentatonics. work with for example c d g and f maj over c maj 24 keys all
Combos
Then duck with pentatonic rows
251 12 keys in the million ways U can voice and arpeggiate them
also scales thru 251s Barry is good for this
Get to Bach inventions ASAP and learn c maj f maj d min a min in that order
Bb maj and c min recommended
Also the c min bk1 prelude and fugue
Maybe d minor bk2
Yes classical is necessary if u want to be good so work on sight reading
You’ll also want to work on transposing lead sheets at sight start with the top
Half of the circle but learn things in those keys first before I start to do it at sight

Some tunes like
The song is u
There will never b another u
Softly as a morning sunrise
How high the moon

This is less Than half of the work. Hofmann says if u knew what went into being a pianist you’d quit now so don’t quit

The Barry dim6 scale stuff and understanding the geometry of the circle is very important so get Cooking with Barry asap his stuff will take a few years to be automatic. That said his stuff is advanced so if you’re a beginner maybe just stick to his rhytmic scale stuff and work on the basics of his chording as chords are actually very difficult to play like he wants u to

Questions?
youtu.be/iVSkUM8TQpc

Are all the guitarists today gay what the fuck

kikoski is pretty good but here's a hot opinion for you: [spoiler] sipiagin sucks [/spoiler]

Based otomo yoshihide is best choice

Attached: onjq lisbon.jpg (528x395, 69K)

hi any tips for guitar?
i have play for a solid time, but i am having poor ideas for new things to practice

Almost all of that applies to any instrument. Do the Barry stuff too I think it’s on rutracker. Once you’ve done that shit you’ll be able to self assess and work that way. After a point however you’re gonna need people to practice and play and perform with to continue moving forward. Music is a tradition and a language and immersion is important. If there are no serious musicians where
You live , move until you find them. Transcribing and more importantly applying what you’ve gotten. Look into the yt channel I Linked a few posts ago and work on bop if your theory and scales and arpeggios are good. Learn the inventions if u can, we need to be able To think polyphonically

It’s really in the scale work and the picking a chord tension and playing all changes with that tension and running Lines into that tension. This will open your ear

whats an album which pushes jazz to its limits in technique?

I used to chill in jazz threads while i got jammed up on fetty, now im chillin with just some booze after 39 days of rehab induced soberiety. Im trying to decide if i can get my shit together and persue music to the best of my ability or if i will just kill myself. anyway, coltrane live in seattle is the shit.

you should probably just kill yourself you junkie fuck

overdose on heroin after you start to make it big