Paul Simon’s best album

Graceland appreciation thread?
Graceland appreciation thread!

Attached: 6A4A67F1-F3A2-40D8-B6E9-E45492093312.jpg (1000x1000, 347K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Hk7MCvCHNQA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The absolute best album of the 1980s

>Graceland [Warner Bros., 1986]
>Opposed though I am to universalist humanism, this is a pretty damn universal record. Within the democratic bounds of pop accessibility, its biculturalism is striking, engaging, unprecedented--sprightly yet spunky, fresh yet friendly, so strange, so sweet, so willful, so radically incongruous and plainly beautiful. For Simon, the r&b-derived mbaqanga he and his South African sidemen--guitarist Ray Phiri, fretless bassist Baghiti Kumalo, and drummer Isaac Mtshali, all players of conspicuous responsiveness and imagination--put through their Tin Pan Alley paces seems to represent a renewed sense of faith and connectedness after the finely wrought dead end of Hearts and Bones. The singing has lost none of its studied wimpiness, and he still writes like an English major, but this is the first album he's ever recorded rhythm tracks first, and it gives up a groove so buoyant you could float a loan to Zimbabwe on it. Despite the personalized cameo for Sun City scab Linda Ronstadt (a slap in the face to the ANC whether he admits it or not) and the avoidance of political lyrics elsewhere, he's found his "shot of redemption," escaping alienation without denying its continuing truth. It's the rare English major who can make such a claim. A

Attached: christgau.jpg (1400x787, 775K)

wow Robert decided to have a good opinion for once

I sure love me some Gumboots

youtu.be/Hk7MCvCHNQA

So good

There’s not a single bad track on this album.

diamonds in the soles of her shoes best track

Agreed!

Bump, Graceland needs more love.

Diamonds on the soles of her shoes.

Attached: 36B1BA35-140D-40AF-BDF5-5CD32F0CCF44.jpg (820x652, 128K)

itt godtier shit

10/10 song for sure

Paul Simon is a god

is it bad i like his self-titled more?

It’s good, but it’s no Graceland.

We had this a while ago. This isn't a good enough album for two threads in a week.

It’s a GOAT album. Whatchu on about?

How can one artist be so based?

It's one of the best albums of the 80's you homo

Shut up pussy

What’s the story behind the Simon/Garfunkel conflict. Who’s in the right?

Nobody cares, start a blog so no body can read it you fucking loser.

Why so butthurt?

The Rhythm of the Saints is like a more mature, South American cousin to Graceland. Really good too. Definitely a bit more "adult contemporary", however.

Haven’t listened to it much. That’s got Obvious child on it right?

Homeless is deeply underrated.