Rap

why is rap incapable of being poetic?? Compared to genres like rock, rap is so poor lyrically
it relies so much on lyrics but the majority of it are dogshit

Attached: tyler-creator-mug-shot.jpg (300x358, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

talkhouse.com/lou-reed-of-the-velvet-underground-talks-kanye-wests-yeezus/
youtube.com/watch?v=uOHkeH2VaE0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You have a point. Rap really revolves around a "cheap" mindset, in a way, or a very immature one. It's basically what a 13 year old would find clever, using similes puns is the most clever it gets, where rock lyrics tend to be much more actually poetic and abstract, hell I might scratch my head at a rap punchline for a couple minutes before getting it, but there are rock songs I've listened to for decades and been around for decades that people still can't figure out the real meaning

>but there are rock songs I've listened to for decades and been around for decades that people still can't figure out the real meaning
yeah, and this is totally not the case with rap, the lyrics are so (soooo) easy to digest

To be fair, it's also rare to find good lyrics in Rock

Attached: lyrics.png (1500x1125, 1.03M)

I remember when it was the gormless cookie cutter pop / MOR one hit wonders with the punchable faces

>black people music

Attached: 6DE8E6FB-1A61-452B-B612-0FF1ABF6FC4D.jpg (885x478, 87K)

You're just racist

Attached: 40584b843a9c32f153630ea04130ccf3.jpg (326x238, 24K)

have you never listened to any rap outside of whats on the radio?

Attached: gross.png (268x325, 87K)

To be fair though, that is the best hip hop verse ever written.

how is kanye so good

it's not though. you're just looking and popular rap music and going by your kneejerk instinct in assuming it's all bad. either stop being lazy or stop talking.

Listen to Kendrick Lamar.

Actually, I'm well familiar with the genre and know that particular song well. If you disagree with my statement maybe you should submit what you believe to be the greatest verse in Hip Hop. Otherwise, stop making petty assumptions and broad statements.

The verse continues after the quoted segment and is, in fact, a true story about his father who fought in Vietnam.

specificity in lyrics is usually cringe

My favourite verse:

What you want you? A house or a car?
Forty acres and a mule, a piano, a guitar?
Anythin', see, my name is Uncle Sam, I'm your dog
Motherfucker, you can live at the mall
I know your kind (That's why I'm kind)
Don't have receipts (Oh, man, that's fine)
Pay me later, wear those gators
Cliché? Then say, "Fuck your haters"
I can see the baller in you, I can see the dollar in you
Little white lies, but it's no white-collar in you
But it's whatever though because I'm still followin' you
Because you make me live forever, baby
Count it all together, baby
Then hit the register and make me feel better, baby
Your horoscope is a gemini, two sides
So you better cop everything two times
Two coupes, two chains, two C-notes
Too much ain't enough, both we know
Christmas, tell 'em what's on your wish list
Get it all, you deserve it, Kendrick
And when you hit the White House, do you
But remember, you ain't pass economics in school
And everything you buy, taxes will deny
I'll Wesley Snipe your ass before thirty-five

people are probably gonna shit on this but it is a better verse

Not disagreeing with you OP but, out of curiosity, what lyrics from any genre do you consider good?

I hear a lot of people say what you're saying but I've never heard any of them put forward specific examples of what they consider to be good lyrics.

You like poetic lyrics? So Dylan? Cohen? who?

tpab is a goat album

>why are songs written by niggers poorly written

and Rooster by Alice in Chains is a better song about the same topic

Yeah, probably. Uncommon Valor is a pretty weak track though tbf. Just R.A's Verse is unparalleled in terms of flow + content + narrative + delivery within the genre.
OP is right for the most part though– better lyrics are generally found outside of Hip Hop, mainly because its targeted at an audience which doesn't respond well to philosophical, introspective lyrics. It tends to be the older rappers who present more self aware and conscious material like MF Doom and Common ect.

As I walk down the road of existence
I get resistance from all angles
I tangle for cash
Hopin' it'll last 'til the end of the week
But all I eat is fast food
And you know how junk food goes right through ya
So I return *to* the a-rab, then on the way back
I stop- at the liquor store, grab me a six pack
Knowin' that once I'm done with that I'll be back
To get some more
Once I get started I don't wanna stop (ahh...)
And I can't turn around, brew- I can't turn it down
Ironically I turn it up, my liver I burn it up
It's my life I live it up, the cup I gotta give it up
–Common, Book of Life

>jerome get more time than brandon
so deep, blacks are so oppressed

chad kroeger

kendrick is surface level trash.

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle

Better than the tired nihilistic lyrics about life being pointless from 90% of your favorite bands

Ron Mael

this is just bait. rap has some great lyrics, but musically it's rather juvenile.

Besides being retarded why do you have to come making threads about that somali if you actually dislike him? That's like promoting his bad art, since you're a retard I guess we must pardon your stupidity overeall but please don't make this "roast the nigga" threads because the places if flooded and we want to see other interesting content.

Eminem is the one who does it good, he has the same level of heart and inner awareness as rock does

Not all but most black rappers do not talk about meaningful things

Real music doesn't have lyrics faggot

Chuck D

He was even featured on a Sonic Youth record.
And a shitty Go Team record if I recall correctly.

Music can have different purposes retard. Sometimes you want something like jazz you can listen to relaxed in an armchair taking in every note. But sometimes you want something with lyrics that’s making a statement or paints a picture of the artist’s life. Sometimes you just want something loud and fun. Anyone who thinks music is something they define is a pseudo intellectual dumbass that fails to understand how to listen to genres that rely on different strengths

My melody's in a code, the very next episode
Has the mic often distortin, ready to explode
I keep the mic in Fahrenheit, freeze MC's and make em colder
The listener's system is kickin like solar
As I memorize, advertise, like a poet
Keep you goin when I'm flowin, smooth enough, you know it
But rough that's why the middle of my story I tell E.B.
Nobody beats the "are", check out my melody...
So what if I'm a microphone fiend addicted soon as I sing
One of these for MC's so they don't have to scream
I couldn't wait to take the mic, flow into it to test
Then let my melody play, and then the record suggest
That I'm droppin bombs, but I stay peace and calm
Any MC that disagree with me just wave your arm
And I'll break, when I'm through breakin I'll leave you broke
Drop the mic when I'm finished and watch it smoke
So stand back, you want to rap? All of that can wait
I won't push, I won't beat around the bush
I want to break upon those who are not supposed to
You might try but you can't get close to
Because I'm number one, competition is none
I'm measured with the heat that's made by sun
Whether playin ball or bobbin in the hall
I just writin my name in graffiti on the wall
You shouldn't have told me you said you control me
So now a contest is what you owe me
Pull out your money, pull out your cut
Pull up a chair, and I'ma tear shit up
My name is Rakim Allah, and are & A stands for "Ra"
Switch it around, but still comes out "are"
So easily will I e-m-see-e-e
My repetition of words is "check out my melody"
Some bass and treble is moist, scratchin and cuttin a voice
And when it's mine that's when the rhyme is always choice
I wouldn't have came to ?set? my name ?around the? same weak shit
Puttin blurs and slurs and words that don't fit
In a rhyme, why waste time on the microphone
I take this more serious than just a poem
Rockin party to party, backyard to yard
Now tear it up, y'all, and bless the mic for the gods

*blocks your path*

Attached: ka_night.jpg (500x500, 219K)

is this bait

Attached: DESKTOP.jpg (3840x2160, 1.03M)

>there are rock songs I've listened to for decades and been around for decades that people still can't figure out the real meaning

That's because many rock artists were on acid while writing the lyrics. Rappers only use cough syrup and anti depressants.

a lot of the time with those old rock songs its because they don't have a meaning. These people were on hallucinogenic drugs just making music

>probably the weakest line in that section
>still a good line
fool

Mostly old Eminem where he was still pissed off about being poor
>Minimum wage got my adrenaline caged, full of venom and rage
>My daughter's feet ain't got no shoes or socks on em
>And them rings you wearin' look like they got a few rocks on em
>And while you flaunt em I could be takin' em to shops to pawn em
His new stuff, where his biggest beef is against mumble rap and people who use ghostwriters, is a bit meh by comparison, despite his technical skill probably getting way better.

that's his problem. he thinks rapping like tech n9ne or something makes his music good, when what actually made his music good was being passionate about what he was saying. now he's just an annoying oldhead

Rap is 40 years old. Can you line one (1) rap song that’s been around for decades that people still can’t figure out the real meaning?

>i go up to the woopenberg
>my life zeeb foom the roobenmerp
this has a hidden deep meaning. decipher it if you can fools

I wouldn't say that ambiguity makes lyrics good necessarily.

Since when was unclear lyrics a desirable quality in a song?

This shit sucks lmao. THIS is your example of good rap lyrics? If you had credited them to Iggy Azalea, I wouldn’t know the difference

Nice goalpost shifting

Give an example of what you consider decent lyrics then, since apparently Rakim and Common are garbage.

nice goalpost shifting of the goalposts i shifted. you'll never decipher it you dumb motherfucker

Half of Aesop Rock's output

exactly, and aesop rock isn't even fucking good

>Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin'

zabba dee bop

This.
Fucking retards think music is good just because they can't understand it

As a poet this is why I cannot write rap lyrics.

It usually ends up as the nigga sucking his own dick, for example:

My lyrics are the coolest, my dick is gigantic,
bitches come and go, you know I'm a hoe fanatic.

Then if it's not regarding luxury, hoes or moneyz in general they come to actually implement non-existant confrontations with themselves or any sort of enemy to show up how good they roast him with his lyrics... etc, in the end I don't dig it.

>as a poet
shut the fuck up

Shit taste.
Can't tell the greats from the shit? That only reflects poorly on you.

Blood rack, barbed wire
Politician's funeral pyre
Innocents raped with napalm fire

this could be a black sabbath lyric. probably wouldn't say rape though, gratuitous

Exactly. Retards here think cryptic lyrics lined with metaphors designed to make you think there’s more substance there than there actually is and fill in the blanks, written by dudes on acid talking about how meaningless life is, is “sooooo deep, man. It’s been decades and we still can’t figure out what he was trying to say.” If it’s been that long and it still essentially means nothing, you’re fucking missing the point.

>As a poet
>Thinks 'gigantic' rhymes with 'fanatic'

It's King Crimson

This is just because rap listeners are inherently less intelligent, and therefor lack imagination.

You don't like to think, you need shit literally spelled out for you, such as R to the A to the P, I be me, I come from this city, now here's a story I'd like to tell, I hope you listen oh so well

It's not big deal being a poet, either I'll implement advanced rhetoric in this board perhaps is your lack of access to our intellectual circles and community or just plain not investing yourself in the art that keeps you so unaware of what's really like to be a poet.

We all have a bit of crazy and poet as there are hackers in many areas for example.

I read that as I was listening to King Crimson.

>better lyrics are generally found outside of Hip Hop, mainly because its targeted at an audience which doesn't respond well to philosophical, introspective lyrics.

ah, it's bait

this

Shakespeare said a lot more worthwhile stuff than fucking ''Tis hot, it smokes' though. Bias post.

Again you can see how careless I was to give a representation and still it does rhymes if you listen the whole sentence in two lines I don't think I'll call the lyrics in rap verses.

I write hendecasyllable usually and in poetry it's not necessary to always rhyme either most likely since the birth of Ruben Dario the father of modernism and prince of the Castilian letter, thus being said my native language is spanish which is the most romantic of all languages but I won't give up my essays or yellowish manuscripts here.

If you want to understand the core of poetry in 2019 I suggest you reading Victor Hugo in french (Love is french), Ruben Dario in spanish, some Walt-Whitman in your language is a most or Emily Dickinson, you can also try more french with Baudelaire, stay classy with some Garcia Lorca or go deeper in underground poets that have one or two really good works like Rimbaud, etc, I actually love the drunken ship by Rimbaud and Bob Dylan was pretty much a Rimbaud fanatic.

Anyway, have a nice read and stop reading about luxury and hoes.

name literally one thing shakespeare has said more meaningful than "tis hot, it smokes"

Because he's got good ghostwriters, also checked.

*Clears throat*

"The game is afoot "
“All our yesterdays”
“As good luck would have it”
“As merry as the day is long”
“Bated breath”
“Be-all and the end-all”
“Neither a borrower nor a lender be”
“Brave new world”
“Break the ice”
“Brevity is the soul of wit”
“Refuse to budge an inch”

Should I continue?

Shakespeare built the ground Kanye walks on.

yes, you should. i still like "tis hot, it smokes" more

lol i'm still waiting

“Hoist with his own petard”
"Good Riddance"
“Kill with kindness”
“Knock knock! Who’s there?”
“Laughing stock”
“Live long day”
“Love is blind”
“Milk of human kindness”

>“Hoist with his own petard”
>"Good Riddance"
>“Kill with kindness”
>“Knock knock! Who’s there?”
>“Laughing stock”
>“Live long day”
>“Love is blind”
>“Milk of human kindness”
meh
>tis hot, it smokes
at least above average

I wonder if "Can't get spunk on the mink" will be a common saying in 400 years

>makes a better song about drug addiction than any rap song
>makes a better song about depression than any rap song
>makes a better song about war than any rap song
>makes a better song about the bible than any rap song
>makes a better song about religious corruption than any rap song
>makes a better song about the corruption of the court system than any rap song

These should really all be things black people talk about, but they don't

Attached: metallicaa.jpg (874x632, 112K)

slam poetry tier lyrics, I sincerely hope you don't enjoy that

it definitely isn't

#eil #itler faggot

Based fashtag poster.

>Rap really revolves around a "cheap" mindset, in a way, or a very immature one. It's basically what a 13 year old would find clever, using similes puns is the most clever it gets,
Is that why Cuckgau likes it so much? It's all his pea brain can process?

Most rock songs mean something, but it's often contextual and only makes sense to the band members/principle songwriter. That metal lyric about Satan could mean drugs/the singer's mother-in-law/his bassist/scummy record execs/Christgau/literally anything.

That’s just not true. Rock has as much lyrical shallowness as rap. You can always cherry pick examples for your argument but it doesn’t make you right.

"I am sped."

lyrical myrical spiritual goatfucker

finally

Name one (1) "rap song"

and if she gay i tell her im a fuckin dyke, yeah

You're fucking overanalyzing (and still failing to come up with the meaning of after decades) lyrics that could've been made by 3 high teenagers in a basement talking about how shitty life is and you think you're sophisticated because it's written in a more abstract way? I'm actually pretty good at that pseudointellectual shit and could probably write lyrics you would cream your pants over if you gave me a weekend to write them and I told you they were from some experimental garage band from Minnesota that made one classic yet obscure album and then disbanded

Even where there are dumb rock lyrics, they're usually indirect enough that you can interpret them to mean whatever you want. Rap is way too literal most of the time and ages like sour milk.

You're telling me Zappa or Lou Reed were dumb guys with no education?

Direct doesn't mean bad, jesus why do people here have such a narrow understanding of music. If every song was abstract lyrically and required you to create your own meaning a lot of the time, that would get boring fast

Dayton Family - Whats On My Mind

Fuck off, racist.

Funny you bring those guys up...

"If it wasn't for rap there would be no poetry in America. I think we went directly from Walt Whitman to Ice-T" - Frank Zappa

talkhouse.com/lou-reed-of-the-velvet-underground-talks-kanye-wests-yeezus/
- Lou Reed (a whole article on what makes Yeezus great)

It's not racism because a guy like Kanye who grew up middle class is completely different in the kind of material he puts out than XXXtentication did.

mmmuh Kanye

Dude has entire teams of songwriters making his stuff.

I never said it did, just that rock naturally lends itself to abstraction.

Like someone else said, Kanye is considered artistically respectable while gangsta rappers aren't. So that's not really a good argument to use and anyway, Zappa died long before face tattoo mumble rap was a thing.

And even guys like Chuck D who had some cache among rock snobs/critics came from middle class upbringings, they weren't 6ix9ine-tier.

No one's saying 6ix9ine, Future, or XXX should be respected though. I know it's cool to hate on Kendrick on Yea Forums because he's popular and speaks out against racism but his lyrics are usually top notch. Also there's Aesop Rock, Black Thought, Billy Woods, Earl Sweatshirt, Danny Brown, Lil Ugly Mane, MC Ride, Milo, Noname, just to name some more good lyricists today

What it does prove that the "respectable" flavors of hip-hop are closer to rock conceptually.

The underachievers are dope

How though? Half of those rappers don't paint abstract pictures. You can be just as effective if you're direct and bending and playing with words, utilizing rhymes to make pleasant sounding sequences, or describing something vividly. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to decipher lyrics and I'd rather hear something more literal. I like having both sides available

Yeah but what does social class have to do with the merits of lyricism within Hip Hop? What, Chuck D was from a middle-class background so his contributions to the genre are invalid? That's bullshit, dude.

Not all rock is indirect though. It's more likely to go that direction, but it doesn't have to be.

We could cherry pick all day desu but I still can't think of any rap lyricists that can hold their own in a literary space or have any kind of grip on the abstract.
Even of the rap lyrics you posted, their own poetic value is eclipsed by the subject matter and that's pretty damn cheap.

Yeah I can agree with that, I'm just disagreeing with the idea that was put out there earlier that lyrics have to be cryptic to be good. Because of the nature of the genres, hip hop is more likely to have direct lyrics because rapping allows you to say more words and you can fully flesh an idea or story out. With rock, you're more limited since singing is slower and there are instrumental breaks, so being indirect often works better. But you can definitely find an extensive amount of both forms in both genres (Hiding Places by Billy Woods is a good rap album from this year to check out for lyrics that take time to decipher) and I like a mix of both personally

It's about what's more poetic, which was OP's point

Rap is very on the nose story telling, if it uses any cleverness it's like I said in the forms of puns and such, but it's still straightforward "this happened, then this happened". Rock lyrics are more often to use actual metaphor or a sort of theatricality rather than bluntness .To give an example of rap songs that did more of a rock like thing, DMX's Damien songs or Eminem's My Darling.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for literal too I just wish rappers could treat literally anything with some kind of sentimentality once in a while

Rap lyrics are closer to classical greco-roman poetry than anything you could think of:

>Boasting about the manliness of the author (Callimacus)
>Fame, strenght and wealth as virtue (Odyssey, Illiad, Pyndarus)
>Sexually explicit; often in the form of threat (Callimacus, Martial, Petronoius)
>Amoebaean singing (Teocritus, Virgil)
>Man against his destiny and sorrounding world (Sophocles, Euripides)

Rock more often uses instruments to convey the meaning of the song and relies less so on words. Though it varies by genre and some groups like REM could be notoriously verbose.

Rock did that before rap as well.

Attached: 00b750af3d3cd2cc97e54adc1aaa7d1a.jpg (570x838, 96K)

It's not either or. I mean, Dylan has always managed to be interesting despite his extremely dense lyrics.

but kiss kisses ass

It's not a good line though. Proof that rap fags are retarded.

Also, I should add
>a complete fusion of the poet's life and his work (Callimacus, Virgil, Anacreon)
>the poet sees his work as an extension of others' tradition -old school mentality-
>Constantly brings up real places and people to position himself in the real world, the poem is not merely an abstraction, is a painting of reality

And no, Candy Shop doesn't count as a love song.

True.
Chuck D's second verse in Bring the Noise is actually written in dactylic hexameter which is a standard form for many classical greek poems including Odyssey and Illiad.

'Never badder than bad cause the brother is madder than mad
At the fact that's corrupt like a senator
Soul on a roll, but you treat it like soap on a rope
'Cause the beats and the lines are so dope
Listen for lessons I'm saying inside music that the critics are blasting me for
They'll never care for the brothers and sisters now, 'cause the country has us up for the war'

Rap doesn't usually use the music in the context of a song for me to think it "poetic". Think of how you could take say almost any Kate Bush song, remove the vocals, and you've still got a story. A lot of rap music just feels generic to me in that sense, even the stuff I love. Rap just fills a different kind of space to me, no preciousness and no romance to it but it's got the attitude and gets you pumped.

Led Zeppelin same thing. Many of their songs would still stand as instrumentals.

fool

Yeah Dylan is king wherever lyrics are the concern. Rich with meaning and no sense of being written.

'Now, little boy lost, he takes himself so seriously
He brags of his misery, he likes to live dangerously
And when bringing her name up
He speaks of a farewell kiss to me'

But he also has great delivery and melodies and even if you don't like his voice, it's distinctive.

Yeah, I think one of the keys to good, profound art is subtlety. I think Kubrick said it best when a reporter asked him why he hadn't been more on-the-nose with the plot of 2001: A Space Odyssey – 'How much would we appreciate the Mona Lisa today if Leonardo had written at the bottom of the canvas: "This lady is smiling slightly because she has rotten teeth"?'

I think in this regard Hip Hop will always be inferior. It's too blatant about its purpose.

And it's purpose is pretty surface level. Effective though desu

my thread did numbers haha thank you fags

hi, think anything Billy Corgan wrote, or Morrissey. you'll see what I'm talking about.
another thing I was thinking: ok, rap have that storytelling shit, but where is the lyrical mode (idk if that's the correct way of saying it in english)? it's all about bragadocio or "diss".
the emo rap thing tried to do something more subjetive but it was still so mediocre (I like Peep tho)

thanks guys for all the answers!

>straightforward "this happened, then this happened"
It's what epic poetry does, see Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, Divine Comedy. Telling stories does not make it less "poetic"

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not shitting on Hip Hop– I love a lot of Hip Hop. It's just that its most significant drawback is its inability to hint at complex ideas, any themes explored are explored at the surface level- it's very on-the-nose. Hip Hop lyrics state where other genres' lyrics suggest.

Yes, but the narratives of the Greek epics can explore deeper themes in a way that a 5-minute Hip Hop track can't.

Not that this applies to all Hip Hop, just a high percentage.

Dance With The Devil springs to mind as a notable exception. Deeper issues are explored here and I know various literary techniques are employed– there's a good deal of foreshadowing and the song explores themes of loneliness without ever actually talking about it.

gay monkey

Shake it off
Pick yourself up, they say
Your life fell apart in your hands
And you've got the scars
To prove it
It's not the first time, and they're getting
Deeper

Pull it together
Button up your shirt
Roll down those sleeves
Don't let them see how you've coped

It's not the first time, and they're getting
Deeper

More and more your demeanor looks like quicksand
More and more your demeanor looks like
Quicksand!

It seems like you're giving up
Giving up on everything you worked for
It seems like you're giving up
Giving up on everything you worked for

It's pulling you under
It's gripping around your throat
It's pulling you under
It's gripping around your throat

It seems like you're giving up on everything
It seems like you're giving up on everything

It's pulling you under
It's pulling you under

Life can be
Overwhelming
But don't turn your back on
The strongest crutch
You've ever had (you've ever had)

They have always been there to
Brace your fall

Wave goodbye to the past
You've got your whole life to lead
Wave goodbye to the past
Wave goodbye to the past
Wave goodbye to the past

It's time to gain some ground!

this thread is awful

Reminder that these are the people you're discussing music with.

Yeah, pretty disconcerting. I forget sometimes that, whilst a lot of us are here to explore and discuss a sincere passion for music, it's mostly just 15 year olds who want to look at memes and be overtly offensive to one another.

have you heard of tupac man?

Just writers, he credits everyone. Actually pretty honest about it unlike guys like Drake.

meh nice try. 2/10 i guess

>bad communication = better art
imagine thinking like this

how is this poetic in any way shape or form

Yeah it's hard for rap to top rock lyrics, especially when rock has songs like "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Layin' Pipe"

Attached: 1559255267394.png (360x594, 250K)

Attached: 1558226911217.gif (266x268, 1.07M)

Cringe

Death grips and maybe gil Scott are the only exceptions. Dalek is shit

It literally is poetry

Stop giving this post and the person who made it attention.

Attached: forgiveness stops.jpg (900x803, 122K)

Rap has been around for forty years, can you name a rap song that’s been around for decades that people still can’t figure out the real meaning?

This shit sucks lmao. THIS is your example of good rap lyrics? If you had credited them to Iggy Azalea, I wouldn’t know the difference

These are rap lyrics.

Attached: Soft Skulls.jpg (500x489, 74K)

Becouse rap is made mostly by niggers who dont have a good vocabulary.

>Becouse

>b e c o u s e

I write poetry, though I don’t claim to be a poet, but I also write raps for my friends. I assume you must be like 15 or something because it wouldn’t take long to think of a rap that actually rhymes. That or you just suck with words. Not all rap is self-fellating either.

It's entirely true though

militarised.

you're supposed to read them before giving your opinion.

Exactly. The most abstract Rap can get is Earl Sweatshirt, Kool Keith and Aesop Rock, who aren't actually poetically abstract, it's just that they use big words. But poetically there is nothing abstract about people Earl Sweatshirt, at least when you put them to Rock standards.

Compare what Rappers do to what Rock did with things like that :
youtube.com/watch?v=uOHkeH2VaE0

I did. There is literally no difference between “good rap” and “bad rap.”
>Walk a mile in these Louboutins
>But they don't wear these shits where I'm from
>I'm not hating, I'm just telling you
>I'm tryna let you know what the fuck that I've been through
>Two feet in the red dirt, school skirt
>Sugar cane, back lanes
>Three jobs, took years to save
>But I got a ticket on that plane
>People got a lot to say
>But don't know shit about where I was made
>Or how many floors that I had to scrub
>Just to make it past where I am from
All rap is the same. If you hate it, it’s cause you hate the person making it. If you like it, it’s cause you like the person making it. Instead of rap, it should be N-pop, like K-pop. It’s just as manufactured and generic

There is no "more" or "less" poetic, there are different styles of poetry. The "this happened, then this happened" is just a narrative style of poetry, the same used in epic poetry. A narrative style of poetry is efficient for poetry, so it makes sense that it's used.

People need to stop thinking that things are more "poetic" because they are more difficult to understand or less straightforward. It doesn't make sense and people who think that are generally mis-educated individuals.

Iron Maiden
Their songs aren't just good to listen, but they tell a story too

>A narrative style of poetry is efficient for poetry
story-telling*

>more self aware and conscious material
>like MF DOOM
Opinion discarded. Fucking pseud

preach brother

>mis-educated
What did he mean by this?

Rap is irreversibly steeped in masculinity. Even the few vulnerable songs in the genre aren't that vulnerable.

All “respectable” forms of music are close to one another conceptually, because art music has no boundary.

whole heartedly agree, but it also depends up to the individual artist. it is a traditonally more masculine profession, but the industry has seen a lot of progression.

For example take the "bed wetter" project from lil ugly mane. has someone who has ptsd, he describes his emotions and his heart so amazingly. it takes strength to be vulnerable.

Especially consdering a lot of rap personalites fall on the cluster b spectrum (i.e sociopaths, borderlines, narcs, histrcs) it's a very cut throat and competitive profession. It's the new pop.

post good lyrics. Dosn't matter what genera just post what you consider to be good

Exactly this. Most of this board is probably under 18 and has a fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes art. It’s like concluding that only the abstract expressionist art movement has value.

what does the n mean?

Attached: karl.jpg (820x680, 74K)

North American

>good music has to be abstract, "intellectual", lyrics matter
shut the fuck up nerd lol

show me rock that does that

Because rap used to be poetic and the best lyrically genre out there until negroids figured out they can make more shekels by targeting a retarded audience and doing something catchy that sounds "good"

Most lyrics in general are bad independent of genre. They're either composed of cheap rhymes over cheap rhymes over cheap rhymes, like

>Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
>No hell below us, above us only sky

Which are quick, simple associations on the brain, always rhyming with words that end on the same syllable, being unable to comprehend and have a sense for musicality in sentence structure (everything AA/BB or AB/AB), or the artist starts out the song with a vague concept and then veers off as it goes along, adding random shit that doesn't even fit the theme. This is what rap is most guilty of, because they're trying to shoot 50 words per second and there's only so much you can actually say.

Most lyrics are bad because just by reading them, cold, with no song, they read like lyrics. They do not read like natural or sophisticated discourse. Now this is an example of a lyric I very much like, from The Smiths:

>And someone falls in love
>And someone's beaten up
>And the senses being dulled are mine
>And though I walk home alone
>I might walk home alone
>But my faith in love is still devout

One sentence justifies the other, and the rhymes are clever: in love / beaten up / dulled are mine / I walk / faith in love / still devout. "Dulled" also independently rhymes with "alone", and anyway, there's a lot of synergy overall, and that makes it sound poetic. It's not a simple, dumb AB/AB ending on the same syllable.