String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
>stringtensionpro.com/
Music theory:
>musictheory.net/lessons
Guitar Maintenance and other information:
>frudua.com/guitar_craftpedia_en.html
Why is my guitar buzzing?
>frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzlist.html
Large repository of tabs, books and other resources related to playing and theory:
>mega.nz/#F!KIoilagC!3KtnUYdTW53VsQu9QrJS_g

old thread

https://

Attached: Gibson_LesPaul_Custom_1986.jpg (1535x2016, 792K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5MdW6T3VSBI
youtu.be/DC4D0Eg2Qv8
ameblo.jp/otsuka-sae/entry-12422654672.html
soundcloud.com/user-796517462/intro-thing
soundcloud.com/user-796517462/intro-thing-v2
youtube.com/watch?v=qRYdqebNuHc
vocaroo.com/i/s1vgwh5nF4p9
youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4jX9cCe70
youtube.com/watch?v=U4GP9yXearA
vocaroo.com/i/s0JhJotwJdYL
youtube.com/watch?v=VJNgxS1qam4
youtube.com/watch?v=KIhgqS9Oz2k
vocaroo.com/i/s070Gg6uD204
frudua.com/guitar_craftpedia_en.html
vocaroo.com/i/s1C7bV8wGmkE
music.tutsplus.com/articles/8-guitar-amp-myths-how-many-do-you-believe--audio-4201
jensentone.com/vintage-ceramic/c10q
jensentone.com/vintage-ceramic/c12r
vocaroo.com/i/s1PFcCxKuItV
youtu.be/NFLbkwOkWZU?t=97
vocaroo.com/i/s1dsDaaJka3g
youtube.com/watch?v=eT98yd84iCE
youtube.com/watch?v=x8hUIyJyTgY
youtube.com/watch?v=F1wzwRRToAw
youtu.be/pLTKdWIgG5A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The only Gibson I want is a 77 LP custom in black.

youtube.com/watch?v=5MdW6T3VSBI

how do i get this tone

youtu.be/DC4D0Eg2Qv8
How do I get this tone

in its defense, roland cube is actually a really great amp depending on what you are playing guitar and genre wise. I use it as my gigging amp for blues and jazz gigs when I can't be bothered to lug my deville around and the clean tone on it is a great replacement for henriksen or even a polytone halfway between the dark and bright switch. very afforable used too!

it seems like if your guitar already sounds kind of thin then it will make it seem toneless but if you have a full, acoustic sounding guitar like a acoustic electric or an archtop it sounds quite good, especially if it has a good bass and low mids. my heritage eagle sounds really good out of it, but that being said, my backup ibanez artcore guitar has lame pickups and it basically sounds like I'm listening to a 335 being played in the next room over.

I did have a problem recently where I was using it in a musical theatre gig and my pedalboard just wouldn't work out of it at all. there's no fx loop so I was going in the front of the amp but it still works just fine if I plug straight in. very confusing and I still don't know what is wrong with it but that might just be because I'm not good with tech stuff. any idea?

Attached: gap_.jpg (4712x2232, 3.24M)

Aint that norlin era? Arent those notoriously hit or miss?

ESP E-II ST-1 / ESP Snapper Tae edition
Hughes & Kettner triAmp Mark III
BOSS DD-500 Digital Delay
Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive

No, I'm not shitting you. Poppin Party has a real guitarist and she posted her gear on twitter.

Obviously I'd track down a good one. If I'm singing that kind of money into it I'd take my time.

Found it
ameblo.jp/otsuka-sae/entry-12422654672.html

I can't read Japanese.

Probably a power issue. I don't gig, but my brother does and he says every other place is wired with non-functional outlets and lots of noise.

alright

which one sounds better (or less worse)
soundcloud.com/user-796517462/intro-thing
soundcloud.com/user-796517462/intro-thing-v2

the second one needs mix adjustment for levels.

After roughly 2 months of playing the 'tar I learned to play the into to Johnny b Goode
I feel like a fucking genius now

Attached: 1558711383901.jpg (956x960, 65K)

Oh fucking hell yeah, thanks user

good job! what other songs or types of music are you wanting to learn?

I dont know man, I think I'm going to attempt a ween song or something like that

>the anime tone is achieved with boutique amps, boutique pedals, and $4000 guitars

who knew weebs were so high class

>he's not sophisticated enough to own a Gibson

Attached: laughingshiro.gif (393x476, 172K)

Why don't you learn the rest of Johnny B Goode?

Cool. Post yours.

who else /heritage owner/ here

>hughes & kettner
>boss dd500
>seymour duncan PEDAL
>boutique

i dont think you know what boutique is

Gibson Les Paul Custom 59 neck 59/custom bridge
Diezel VH4
Bogner 4x12 with V30s and G12T75s in X pattern
Eventide TimeFactor
Dunlop picks/strings etc.

:) !

what do you have? post pics
I'm very conflicted about their business practices from here on out since they were bought up by plazacorp and brought in cnc machines. It seems like a good thing since they are expanding and dealing to guitar center now but they fired all those people and it just doesn't sit right with me knowing everyone who works there has worked there for quite a long time or has had family that has worked there for a long time. still, it's good that they are now keeping up with the times and all. definitely noticeable improvements as far as marketing goes, especially with their website no longer looking like one of the 70-year old luthiers figured out basic html

one of the guys who quit is starting his own thing called Embers Guitar Company, which I would keep on your radar. they don't have a website yet and it's a very small operation but he's making some really really excellent out-there guitars. I'm having him build me a seven-string archtop soon that I'll post here if it all works out. he's making all kinds of guitars though, I know the first guitar they built was like a weird semi hollow flying v but I haven't seen it.

well this is strange. there seems to be an actual guitarist in /gg/.

this must be the last /gg/ thread ever. it was nice knowing you guys.

GUITAR IS TURNING YOU GAY

No one has posted any proof of themselves playing guitar, faggot

h140. no pics atm. amazing guitar with SD 59 pickups. better than any standard/trad les pauls ive tried. ive never played a historic/custom shop though.

i bought it like 4 years ago before the kerfuffle with the takeover. its actually a 2012 guitar so itd been on the wall in the store for a while.

i think with so many of the original staff leaving and turning to more modern manufacturing practices, they lose some of the appeal and the whole point of their business. i don't know if the new ones are as good but I imagine they at least arent the same.

I mean mine has minor imperfections, like the binding isnt perfect in spots if you look close, but it makes it what it is and feels like a true handbuilt instrument.

they should've kept the manufacturing the same as that's what made them so great. i can see why they want more 'perfection' if they are going to be more widely distributed to people who may not know the story or the brand. but it loses some appeal (simply due to manufacturing) to the people that already appreciated them.

regardless they did need more marketing and such as they are great guitars.

hard agree. knowing the guy who's starting his own company I got a chance to play his h140 and my brother's h140 my family got him for christmas you just know how much better it is than a gibby. I just got rid of my gibson lp a while ago since it's not really my kind of guitar. I had it for maybe 6 years and there was always some kind of issue with it intonation wise and it had really bad problems with the nut even when I lubed it. my family got my brother an h140 for his birthday and it's a really really excellent instrument.

when I would talk to bandmates who play saxophone and they would gush over their old conns and selmers and shit talk any new yamaha I never really got what they meant about it just feeling different until I got my heritage. there's something magic in hand crafted instruments that every one of them has it's own feel. I'm not really a boomer so I don't really think they sound any different besides the way the guys set them up in the shop, but I think the fit and finish of the instrument just makes you play it different and have a certain vibe when you play that just makes it a better experience. my eagle is from 1986 and I had my friend set it up and apparently it was the very first one they made in that finish. It is so crazy seeing the names on the paperwork and signed in the guitar and tracing it back and knowing they were the guys who built guitars for so many legendary players, and with the new guitars knowing they were all trained by those same people.

if you decide to get another one, I just recently played a heritage roy clarke model and it is really really fucking good.

I've heard from a few people that they aren't actually using the cncs for a lot of stuff and they are basically still like 98% handcrafted instruments, which I can live with. The culture at the shop is just different apparently.

Attached: gib1.jpg (320x566, 30K)

I've been after a Les Paul Custom but I may just go for a Black H157 if I can find one

I first heard about Heritage through Alex Skolnick. I thought his guitar was really cool but that it'd be too expensive and difficult to find a Heritage. Funnily within a couple of years I owned one when I was actually looking for a Les Paul.

I can safely say that since owning my H-140, I've had no interest in classic LP burst style guitars. It absolutely cures that itch, it just plays and sounds so good.

Oh? How is it for metal stuff like that? What is your rig? The neck one my eagle is surprisingly super good even for playing very fast lines and the like. I've been trying to get more into fusion lately and my eagle responds super well to effects. For some reason it's as big as an L5 but it doesn't feed back as much as my artcore which is like a 2 inch depth.

If you buy another heritage buy it used. I just really don't trust the plazacorp people who bought them out. They basically just buy small businesses and gentrify the fuck out of them. I know at some point they are planning on building a beer garden there, which if you've been to kzoo, you'd know there are about fucking 80 of them considering the regions breweries that have been getting popular lately like Bell's and Founder's. side note, founder's makes a hot sauce??? it's aged in whiskey barrels and is pretty tasty but overpriced and not very hot.

anyway, fuck those guys. I read an article from 2016 when they bought heritage that said that they were going to create at least 40 jobs, but when they brought in the machines they fucking fire like 20 people and had 8 quit out of solidarity. I expect the quality to be not a lot different but there's something to be said as far as voting with your dollar.

We interrupt this grandpa tea party for the ESP SNAPPER

youtube.com/watch?v=qRYdqebNuHc

it's not great for metal honestly. probably the only thing it's not good at. it can work for more alt stuff like tool but not for fast riffs. the pickups are too flubby. i'm sure it would be great if you put in something like a SD custom.

yeah i'd probably buy used for the next one. their prices seem to have gone up since i bought mine

I think if you are defending the second one's mixing already, you seem to know which one sounds better :). Very cool!

The first notes of the melody in the first version sound muddy because you are holding a b7 and the root at the same time, which you aren't really doing in the second one. I imagine it's because in the first one you were playing the b7 on the B string and the root on the e string and playing it almost like a double stop, and in the second one you were using just the e or just the B. lmk?

Also, are you playing with a click? I was confused at first because I thought the doubling on the chords was delay, but then it sounds like you are just playing the doubled chord at incongruent times. If it's intentional, cool! but if not, play with a click when you practice. When I write parts with a lot of syncopation, I just write them out in musescore then play them with the playback until I can't get it wrong.

If you don't read, get a piece of paper and write 1 e & a, 2 e & a, etc. until you've written out a bar of 4/4 divided into 16th notes. Maybe with this music you might only need 1 & 2 & etc. but idk, you might like something even more syncopated! Anyway, sing what you want your rhythm guitars to play and underline the subdivision of the beat you want the call and response of the chords to be on. This was really helpful for me when I started reading music to figure out what subdivision the notes landed on, and it's a really great way to translate your musical thoughts to something concrete that you can check back on if you forget what you were trying to play if you don't have it written down in actual sheet music.

It sounds like you were trying to play on beat 1 of the bar and the & of 4. We tend to rush the off beat to be the 1 of the next bar, which is what I think is happening. Figure out the exact subdivisions you want to play, turn on a met, and say aloud 1&2& etc. and clap on the beats you want to play. When playing, do it in your head

R8 my shitty playing
vocaroo.com/i/s1vgwh5nF4p9

Attached: fee.jpg (480x600, 118K)

you should do some focusing on rhythm.
It would help you out a lot.

Is this a song from a Japanese Animation?

Yeah I figured that too.
How do you get the rhythm right when playing fast tho? It's hard to keep track of how many notes I've played when playing 16/32 beats

also, consider putting another phrase in your melody between the idea that happens at :13 and the idea that starts at :26. Try to develop the simpler idea at :13 into the complex idea at :26. Very different genre, but listen to the sax solo in Maneater by Hall & Oates. It's a really good example of "motific development". It tends to sound better to not have to juxtaposing parts go straight into eachother. If you like your melody the way it is, consider making the chords start to get a little bit busier before :26. Maybe change the chords the in the bar before :26 and make the rhythm faster. You'd be surprised how many different chords fit under any given melody!

OR!!! when you get done playing the bar before :26 drop out completely for 2 or 4 beats to add anticipation, then do a sick ass whole-neck slide into the melody or fill in with some feedback noises! that would be super cool.

I basically see this as simple ideas opening up and opening up bigger!!! and bigger!!! then coming into your full song or solo.

very cool melodic idea and balance between scalar and pentatonic ideas!

cool! what anime is this from??

The line at :48 is a really common lick in a lot of latin music so I'd be really interested to know! The idea behind it is to accentuate a really specific chord change that happens in a lot of latin and jazz music. Am, Am(maj7), Am7, Am6. The line you are doing is different a little bit. It's basically a descending bassline but they normally put the descending note and octave up due to muddiness and crunchiness that happens when the bass is playing the maj7 of a minor chord. Really interesting!

Slow it down on youtube, and if you don't like how weird the audio sounds that way, download it and slow it down in audacity! Practice super annoyingly slow with the track until you can't get it wrong and speed it up in small intervals! If you aren't already, consider trying to alternate pick the entire line. Slowly!

It just takes lots of practice with your picking hand.
Gotta do some work with a metronome, really focusing on getting tight with it.
you could start off easy with quarter notes on like a single string without playing anything in particular. And when you can start grooving those well, try some eighth notes and eventually try making it harder by switching between strings and whatnot.
Another thing you should do is whenever you listen to music, pay very close attention to the drums and bass. Really focus on trying to feel the quarter note tempo of the song.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4jX9cCe70

Is this a year's progress or something? You'll never make it as a ninja at this rate. Give up and be one of those big sword ghost niggas instead.

hit character limit :(

I'd be really interested in a video of you playing this!!! Guitar is a really weird instrument in that there are a million different ways to play the exact same note in the exact same octave. The problem with this is that when guitarists read tabs or figure out songs by ear, we tend to learn different phrases or sections of music different positions and string sets rather than just one. This might seem really comfortable and convenient but it's not very good for fretboard knowledge and playing speed in the long run.

Figure out every single note you play and what octave it's in, then try to play them all within the same 4 frets on the guitar aside from all the stuff that jumps up multiple octaves obviously.

When I teach, I refer to a 4 fret interval as a 'box', because most every melody to a song can be played in the same 4 frets! Just like how we learn pentatonics and CAGED scales!

youtube.com/watch?v=U4GP9yXearA

This is certainly not the kind of music you might listen to, but it's a great example of this idea. Donna Lee has a huge range in it's melody that spans two full octaves, and using this kind of box-approach to the melody, the guy is thinking about the most convenient box to play each phrase of the melody in. You can see when he plays he has all 4 fingers hovering above the fretboard at all times, and what he's doing is using the box approach to play as many lines he can using all of his fingers, which allows him to play this fast. Which leads me to say, consider you fingering in that you should use your pinky about as much as the other fingers.

However, it seems like there's difficulty in that the melody has a lot of large interval/string jumps that aren't present in a song like donna lee that has a very close-together melody. A good way to improve left and right hand technique with these kinds of interval jumps is to play barre chords one note at a time without holding two notes at once. like arpeggios!!

It's silhouette by kana boon
I'd say playing on a single string isn't particularly difficult for me. It's when playing multiple strings and awareness of being recorded that kinda throws me off and makes me rush like at 3:36. Also I'm not really good at transitioning from strumming to picking . For e.g. At 2:14 I panicked and screwed up the transition.
Thanks for the tips!

How can I get a really versatile guitar? I'm talking something that can play everything from Chic-style funk to doom metal to jazz. I'm willing to spend a decent amount of cash on it if need be. I move around a lot so it's not feasible for me to carry around too many guitars everywhere I go (which I'm already doing with my current shitty electric, acoustic and bass).

I've been playing for a while but mostly acoustic so I'm pretty new to the world of pickups and amps and such, so if there's anything to think about on that front let me know.

Attached: patrick-walker.jpg (448x400, 53K)

here's some actual proof so that you know that I'm really full of shit :^)
vocaroo.com/i/s0JhJotwJdYL

It's mostly about how you play, but that also is hard to accomplish.

As far as gear, get a humbucker guitar with a coil tap and consider getting an EQ pedal so you can switch between your guitar being EQd one way on the amp and switching to something completely different with the pedal.

With how you play, look at how a jazz player plays vs. how a funk player does. A jazz player generally rolls off his tone on his guitar or sets his amp to have lower treble with higher mids, and will also pick a lot closer to the neck than he does the bridge.

With a funk player, everything is generally the opposite with some disparity in how they set the mids. Really consider whether you are picking closer to the neck or the bridge!!! This helped a lot when I was figuring out how to get my specific sound.

If you really want a huge rage of tones, consider getting whatever guitar you want/have and putting a split-coil humbucker in the bridge and a charlie christian or p90 in the neck! They're great for jazz, but you can also get really nice crunchy-clean stuff out of them too for old school rock lead tones and a good rhythm-guitar tones.

Everything I play turns into groove metal.

how come every "good at guitar" guy ends up playing blues licks

maybe study music other than african guitar improv

you're doomed

but blues is my soul bruh you gotta understand...

Attached: 1552044250585.jpg (750x933, 66K)

Awesome, thanks. My guitar is a $50 "babby's first electric" single-coil with pretty barebones features to see if I'd like it so it's not really amenable to upgrades, but I'll definitely look out for those features you mentioned

What's with all the long posts, I ain't readin all that shit

Attached: gee whiz that is a guitar.jpg (3024x4032, 1.11M)

You're pretty damn good. What's your practice routine? I'm sick of noodling aimlessly

noodling aimlessly is my practice routine :^)
I'm not even joking.
If I had a focused routine I'd probably be a lot better than I am today.
Learn from my mistakes.

Lol fair enough, I'm considering getting a teacher since I feel like I'm plateauing pretty hard right now

Never understood this attitude towards music. pentatonics sound good so people should play them. in most music there is really only 4, maybe 5, notes that sound good over any chord, and maybe 7 that sound good over a phrase unless you are playing jazz or fusion. Why are 5 notes bad when 7 is basically the maximum?

Music that sounds good is good.

That's completely upgradeable!!! If it has 3 pickups, that might even be better!

Seymour Duncan Cool Rails in the neck for jazz/ blooze tones
Normal single coil in the middle
SD Hot Rails in the bridge for metal/rock/etc., which you could have coil-split to sound like it does as a single coil now.

That would be really versatile! And if you can solder and all of that by yourself, it might end up being cheaper than buying a new guitar that has all the bells and whistles you'd want it to.

Do it. I taught myself how to play and after 6 years I got a teacher and I became much better. Look for a teacher with a good background, i.e. a band you can listen to that has toured or played around and is good, or even a jazz guitar teacher. Most people don't like jazz but most jazz guitarists didn't start off playing jazz because [it sucks] but you have to be quite good to be a jazz guitar player, so they usually have very impressive ability in any genre and generally won't teach you as many of their bad habits they've picked up like people who only know rock music have.

A teacher might help yeah.
I feel like the best way to improve from a plateau is to just push yourself. Try to learn a song that's really difficult for you. Try to copy stuff from solos by ear.
Anytime I've ever felt like I've improved is when I finally stopped dicking around and banged something out that took work.
Gotta get out of your comfort zone.

When you're a beginner and you finally get to a point where you can start playing the things you wanna play, it's really easy to plateau. Something that's sometimes overlooked when this happens is working on improving your music knowledge. I think if you work on your theory enough, you'll get to a point where your technique will have to improve to keep up. I think in that way the two concepts help each other out.

>music that sounds good

Excuse me

youtube.com/watch?v=VJNgxS1qam4

>That's completely upgradeable!!!
For whatever reason I had this idea that single-coil-only guitars were bad for upgrades. I did buy some cheap pickups to upgrade from the stocks for practice mostly and it greatly improved the sound. It was a good experience so I'll probably look at buying pickups and see how they change the sound. Might end up saving myself a few bucks.

I've never been a fan of ugly for ugly's sake.

if he was playing without distortion it'd be a really cool voicing like lenny breau would play. very cool! at the end of the day that is just a Dmaj9 chord missing the 3 and the 5, which is considered very consonant and lush. It is also 5 of the same note with the 9th on top. So three notes. metal dudes lmao

a lot of pros do something similar to what I was thinking. eric clapton loves hot rails!

it's actually a beautiful chord just in a really unfortunate context.

youtube.com/watch?v=KIhgqS9Oz2k

If I buy a guitar at the shop and ask for it to get setup will they do it? I’m brainlet at stuff like that so I’d rather a pro do it

When I bought me first guitar they just gave it to me how it was of the shelf

pretty sure places will charge a fee for a setup.
Maybe they'll throw one in for free since you're buying a guitar, but that's up to them probably.

I’ve been playing for a year and a half so I can technically play other people’s shit pretty decent but I know fuck all about improv

Should I start learning the blues for scales and stuff

Just picked this 21yo baby up. Fucking love this thing.

Attached: 20190529_165704.jpg (3024x2268, 3.81M)

in essence, improv is knowing your scales and what notes from those scales to play over the chords (generally notes in those chords). Learn the blues scale, major scales, minor scales, then modes, roughly in that order.

Find a simple BB King solo or something like that when you learn the blues scale and learn his solo note for note. Find another simple solo that uses that major scale and do the same thing. This will help you learn what notes work over what chords and hopefully you can steal some cool licks along the way.

Those pickups sound the best, most natural sounding ones I've ever heard on acoustic.
Looks like a really nice setup senpai

Guys help
I think I really want to buy an SG

Attached: 1512341730686.jpg (1080x985, 170K)

Getting my first guitar tomorrow. Do I just do everything on the Justinguitar website? Where do I go once I'm done with that website?

same, what kind are you thinking about

I made you some sleepy-time music
goodnight /gg/, see you tomorrow afternoon
-_- z z z

vocaroo.com/i/s070Gg6uD204

I played a 2019 standard recently, and it felt really nice. it smelled even better.

gnight user and thanks for music

this is really good, nice job

Attached: that's the way you do it 2.png (557x605, 13K)

I can only imagine the smell of a fresh SG

UltimateGuitar and play along with songs

bampa

Playing in your bedroom doesn’t make your a real guitar player lol. So you wrote that about yourself then, like a faggot.

What would be a good guitar for prog rock? I really want a LP style one but I'm afraid they'll be too clunky and fat for strange chords and solos all across the neck.

For my next guitar trying to decide between a Fender telecaster elite, E-II eclipse, or a PRS. Someone pick for me.

Anyone have a good resource for what to look out for when buying a guitar?
For example when ordering guitars it seems that most professional players with experience will at least to some setup after buying it like adjusting string action, maybe even adjusting pickup height, fixing fret sprout and dead spots etc.
Is there somewhere where i can get a compact overview of things to do and check when getting a new guitar and how to do them?

The OP link has the frudua.com/guitar_craftpedia_en.html link but that goes into information about basically every single component of a guitar in general.

>PRS
i just threw up in my mouth, why would you do this to me, user?

I know they are ugly but what is wrong with them other than that? The one I played played nice and I liked the sound although it wouldnt be my first choice.

Rate my "new" vintage Ibanez acoustic, /gg/

Attached: m340tv.jpg (528x720, 51K)

Telecaster hands down. Easily the most versatile of these options

im gay

Not that bad, I guess. I more prefer the Taylor above.

>Have been playing guitar for almost 10 years
>Playing... but not practising, meaning i learned to play just by looking up tabs of songs i liked and playing them
>Thought i was intermediate level
>Since i only played and never actually practised i never played scales and the likes in order to get good.
>Practice pentatonic major scale with CORRECT fingerings for the first time
>Feels like i never learned guitar in the first place

H-haha

Attached: 1555859949397.gif (251x240, 1.98M)

There is a version of this thread without the cancer on the 8mu sister board if you can find it

What are /gg/'s recommendations for tube amps?

What year is it?

It's not a competition. If you had fun this past 10 years, then you did good

Good morning :D
vocaroo.com/i/s1C7bV8wGmkE

Attached: B85C8B7E-CCDC-4D9A-AA97-087C3D9C9209.jpg (790x1207, 172K)

You can't just put anime eyes on something to personify it, guitars are too far removed from people, it looks like a Pokemon from the same set as the floating keys and the living pile of garbage

You’re not my real dad

Attached: ABF8FCB6-B1A9-454D-89EB-C1CC72048FF5.jpg (1125x1406, 1.72M)

Practice doesn't make perfect. It makes permanent.

>bought moogerfooger ring mod a year ago
>never used it

Gonna start learning properly soon too, after 10 years of playing in bands and recording. I feel like I'm hitting the ceiling of my ability to get away with just enough effort to play what I want, so maybe that's gonna help.

music.tutsplus.com/articles/8-guitar-amp-myths-how-many-do-you-believe--audio-4201

one of the things i hate about some guitarists in the studio is they always ask for 4x12 for "bigger" sound. fuck, i can even make a fucking 1482 sound big. you don't actually need a monster setup. any great heads with 2x12 or even 1x12 can give you big sound.

anyway, all modern studio professionals use processors

Why would you play a tube amp when there's digital nowadays?

AC4C1 for budget, Hot Rod Deluxe for affordable workhorse, Deluxe Reverb or AC30HW if you can afford it, boutique amps if budget is not your concern.

digital is shite unless it's a 3000$ Kemper processor with golden circuits

What about the Tone King Imperial mk II. Is there anything better out there? Which boutique amps btw?

i remember this pasta it was posted 5 months ago. its prolly even older by looking at how this /gg/uy operates.

you can't tell the difference, you just think you can

6505 plus, basically any mesa boogie mark series, marshall JVM series

>twang mashang
>les paul wannabe
>guitar made by a snake oil salesman

ESP Snapper

Attached: nhnqhf26resfgyhtzvit.jpg (1200x407, 76K)

/toy/

>Tone King Imperial mk II
Never have my hands on it but they sound cool in many demos. Played a lot of boutique amps and they never failed me. My personal pick DC30 from Matchless, Milkman, and anything from Divided by 13. Boutique amps are good but they're so pricey. Heck. Hot Rod Deluxe can sound almost as great as them, if not better, when you have the right setup. I'd rather buy that and invest in some pedals if I was in a tight budget.

That describes the look and feel of every single telecaster pretty well yes.

If there was ever a guitar you shouldn't waste your money on, as long as the neck is straight, the frets are level, and you can track down a good set of pickups, that's it. Because it's going to be a telecaster no matter how much you spend.

the headstock doesnt have that classic vibe, i think a fender strat with FR R. Sambora signature would be much better

The classic fender strat headstock looks ridiculous, especially since they enlarged it so they could make the logo more visible.

Also you're comparing it to a guitar that costs twice as much just because it has some guy's name on it.

>looks ridiculous
i stop reading right there.

i don't think.. most of the boomers who own heritages have figured out copypastas yet......... probably just found out about facebook..... THEY PROBABLY ALSO STILL TYPE? LIKE THIS

rich

------------------------------|

Harley Owner's Group life member
Thin Blue Line
[email protected]

"Whatever starts in California unfortunately has an inclination to spread." -Jimmy Carter

It just does. That's CBS's bullshit, not actual fender's.

I'll get the Imperial. Thanks.

Why would you get an overhyped amp with so little gain

>it sounds so average they had to call it the "tone king imperial" to impart some placebo effect on it

lmao, get a peavey tube head

>ESP snapper
>not an M-II

Attached: preview.jpg (1200x1200, 103K)

Attached: 20190212_172644.jpg (2016x1134, 1.1M)

cringe

Attached: 4579917382_359dcb2dcc_o.jpg (2415x1878, 2.27M)

The PRS S2 series is quite versatile, every one I've played has felt great doing both Big Star style power pop and Dissection style Swedish metal. Eventually I'll get one to play something in between, basically melodic hardcore.

The one thing that's always bugged me about Fender headstocks is the placement of the low E tuner. All the other strings are straight, but that one bends downward just a bit.

>once you see it

Get a PRS CE 24. Best bang for the buck out there and way more versatile than the others.

For me, it's the Explorer.

i miss strings with my pinky if i play on anything more curved than a 12" radius

>you can't tell the difference, you just think you can
I sure can, especially with units like Axe FX, played in a quiet environment while on stage next to a tube amp. On computers it all may sound similar, but there's something about PA/full range speakers, how they move the air, guitar amp speakers have a different quality to them.

Can you guys please show me a good routine for ~30minutes every day?
Something legato and speed oriented, if possible, but let's not neglect other aspects.

Attached: 1558341101542.jpg (512x768, 79K)

1x12 vs 2x12 vs 4x12? Why?

1x12 unless you hate your cochlea

2x10 is patrician's choice

>why

Shit technique. Practice more

I do practice

On a guitar with a normal fretboard

they don't sound as clichéd as damn pesky 12" vintage 30s, they handle a tube amp a bit differently, they often have exceptionally crisp middle frequencies

>mids

Nasty. Which cab do I buy if I don't want any of that shit?

Attached: 70217164_p0.png (1748x1181, 2.38M)

any cab with greenbacks these are nasal as fuck.

Don't those have weak bass?

>weak bass?
these would be the seventy 80 these sound raspy as fuck

>Not getting a combo amp that's heavy on the mids and scooping the fuck out of it to get a flat response just so people who listen to csguitars can bitch about your knob positions

Attached: slayerrr.jpg (480x480, 50K)

compare:
jensentone.com/vintage-ceramic/c10q
jensentone.com/vintage-ceramic/c12r
which one sounds closer to what you want?

C12R could work

t. a marshall guy
fender guy would go with 10"

Get one if you want. I was also tempted. Ended up getting the new LP studio. No regrets. They're both nice guitars.

vocaroo.com/i/s1PFcCxKuItV

Attached: 9613ADB6-7B31-4A74-90D3-15B610F53739.jpg (1132x1552, 224K)

Does anyone know how exactly is black flag my war played?
Is it like this , how it is in the picture, or is it 4-2

Attached: black flag my war.png (891x141, 2K)

user are you sure you don't want to be a bassist

Already bought a guitar , so I might as well learn it.

Pretty much, yeah

youtu.be/NFLbkwOkWZU?t=97
Then there's this guy, who seems to play it a lot different. Can't really hear it in the song, because my ears aren't really that good.

it's more like the song is mud

This is why I come here, quality response. Too rare alas

Attached: 66258132812229rs.jpg (323x800, 58K)

True, Its so annoying. Even live recordings are mud.

nobody cares

Same here mate but with bass
>always used my third finger for octaves
>never use my little finger
>turns out most people use little finger for octaves
I'm still using my third finger for octaves but now actually using my little finger for other stuff

Is /gg/ the short bus version of /prod/?

Hi :D

Attached: 5A6BF657-2C85-4872-85E1-5C527EB523C7.jpg (1338x1573, 365K)

thank god one step closer to killing myself

Kek what a retard

Attached: 10 day let it be new 1.jpg (1143x1144, 69K)

you can play the main riff, but you aren't playing the main riff my man. your sound is stiff, and the notes are real static and dont blend into each other in a smooth way.

how can i get better at ghost notes and incorporating them between chords like you do guitar-sensei?!

I heard that when steve vai tried out for frank zappa's band, frank was like "hey steve, do you have a loggy kaka in your pants?" and steve said yes, so then frank reached into steve vai's underwear and fished around until he felt a kaka log. Then, he stretched steve vai's underwear out like an atomic wedgie and rubbed the kaka log all over steve vai's butt. steve vai has some shit all caked into his asshair and then frank asks him to play a kaka chord. well, your boy steve just grins, farts out ANOTHER kaka log and mushes it into the fretboard of his ibanez.

There was shit everywhere and it was brown butter all over frank and steve vai. Then satriani came in and diarrhead all over the floor.

based and scatpilled

What the fuck is this board , man.

i just looked it up and this didn't happen.

Trash get out while you can

Lads redpill me on harley benton strings, 10 bucks for bass strings is too goddamn tempting

good afternoon my friends, thank you

you're really good, do a dreamy improv over my backing and make me look like a chump?
Just going between Ab and Gb Lydian:

vocaroo.com/i/s1dsDaaJka3g

Unless you live in the UK, you'd have to buy a bunch to justify shipping costs.

Quality advice

im just gonna go learn every beatles song
which one do i start with

youtube.com/watch?v=eT98yd84iCE
youtube.com/watch?v=x8hUIyJyTgY

This is legit one of the worst generals on Yea Forums. Unfortunately there are few other places to go to get an immediate answer about guitar shit

Wanna learn how to read music properly this summer. When I look at a score I have to determine the notes, and then look at my fretboard, and then play the notes themselves. Can people who know how to read just automatically play whats on the sheet without needing to consciously know which note it is?

Learn your fingerboard before you go into advanced shit such as sight reading, or at very least practice both.

Thats pushing it. The only problem with these threads are the few people who never gig and are the most vocal about giving shit advice.

Nah the worst thing are the people pushing all the shit memes and also people responding like dicks to simple questions

I made the most surprising discovery lately. When I started out playing guitar I always used really heavy picks (1.5mm+) because I was under the impression that was best for jazz, but recently I tried out some of the thinner gator grips just for a change (0.9 and 0.7) and much to my surprise I actually really liked how they made my guitar sound.
I play with a very soft touch with my right hand, holding my pick very loosely, and it seems these thin picks might actually work better for me (surprisingly they are also a lot louder than my usual picks, though they are a very different material so that's not too surprising).
I also get a much more consistent tone with them, and overall less pick attack noise, which is great for my style.
It's weird to realize that I may have been using the wrong equipment for all these years.

The people with the good advice are the ones that are ridiculed.

How do I get away from the blues scale? everything is starting to sound the same

time to learn the diatonic modes

learn another scale

Get a variety pack and go nuts, thickness is only one factor. Texture, size and point all matter.

Shit I can tell a difference between a red and black jazz 3, cant stand reds

that shit can sell for high prices now that they're out of production

how do i transform the mumbles i come up with into guitar notes/chords
do i need like ear training or something

Learn theory and how to recognize notes.

isnt recognizing notes imposible unless you have perfect pitch

>walk over to my amp
>step on the wire and pull it out
why the fuck didn't they just invent bluetooth first?

Attached: 1498606589473.png (772x804, 414K)

no

I've already tried a lot of different picks. They all just happened to be of the thick variety, because I had just assumed that that was the way to go.
I can't stand red Jazz IIIs either. I find the Ultex ones (translucent yellow) to be the best. In fact they used to be my go-to pick, but over time I started using softer, more rounded tips to get a less percussive attack.

do you know about any resources where i can learn this?
or how am i supposed to google this

find the notes on the guitar, and then find good chord voicings for those notes
its always either higher or lower

practice

so i want to record music, should i buy an audio interface or an amp + mic
are there any diferences?

Yes

you need an audio interface either way

You have a guitar. Learn the notes. Hum them. Memorize them

You need an interface for both. The difference is between using a mic or just plugging the amp directly into the box.

I'm personally a fan of the Dunlop gators myself, purple is my favorite but i'll use blue in a pinch. I've also been using a few Clayton USA picks recently, the 1mm is my favorite of those

Does it sound like shit if I just plug it into the interface raw

I guess you need an amp simulator for that to sound good.

Always wrap your plug

nobody cares

Don’t be so jelly

FUCK CANADA

>playing for 7 years
>never learned basic music theory, besides maybe how basic time signatures work
is it time I fall for the sheet jew, boys?

Attached: hmmm.gif (388x394, 33K)

Turn up the gain to the max on your amp bro, dont mention it.

I think PRS style guitars are the most versatile ones, especially the ones where you can switch between single coils and humbuckers. (a la Cort M600, very underrated)

i want this yellow fellow

Attached: fff.jpg (994x1500, 1009K)

Raw DI sounds basic as fuck, but yeah you can get usable clean tones without amp simulation if you know how to work basic plug-ins
Just get an amp sim though

>vocaroo.com/i/s1dsDaaJka3g
somebody jam over this already

OR BLUE, SO GET A CLUE

Attached: Solar-Guitars-S1.6ETQOB-LTD-620x400.jpg (620x400, 33K)

I kind of want a TV Yellow guitfiddle as well

Piezo bridge pickups in electro acoustic guitars fuckin suck ass, and even the more expensive soundhole pickups sound like an electric guitar... Do I need to take the micpill? (for "unplugged" concerts of course)

Attached: 1559130380118.jpg (769x1024, 63K)

You dont swing. Your stuff its more metal than jazz, to be honest you should learn to swing baby. My 2 cents.

Attached: 1552864529152.gif (600x431, 739K)

Put a microphone in your guitar though the soundhole

better yet glue it to your picking hand for a cool dynamic analog modulation

Wow, these guitars are proper cray cray

not shitting on your taste by the way bb, yellow is nice, but every time I hear yellow fellow all I can think of is that episode of Flapjack where Peppermint Larry goes up against Punsy McHale in a pun-off and Punsy hits Flapjack with the rainbow of puns

lmao

Attached: 1536052298803.jpg (640x640, 141K)

nobody cares

ok Yea Forums

what's good with peg winders ?

how many of you change strings without them?

It's all good my dudie. What about an orange one? Hmm, what rhymes...

Attached: gggg.jpg (485x426, 30K)

HE CHONK, OH LAWD

I bought a peg winder, ended up never using it. Just seems kinda cumbersome, doesn't take that long to wind up by hand anyway

If God wanted us to use peg winders he wouldn't have made tuning keys round

Attached: aZWZPnp_700b.jpg (600x1065, 119K)

it's pretty cool desu senpai

I've always seen this guy get posted all over the place but I've never been able to find anything about this guy, or weather or not this is even real

Wife and I don't have any hobbies and want to start playing music as she is an excellent singer. I am a decent bassist and own a guitar but I am very bad at it. Are there any musicians with just female vocals and bass that we can cover to start developing a sound? Should I just swallow my pride and re-learn guitar to make things easier? Where should we start with songwriting and composition? I know how to play any song I look up on bass, but I've never been able to write my own things.

>listening to Ween
>mfw Pink eye (on my leg) fits very well visually
the animation doesn't really match up anywhere with the beat, but wow does the song just sound like how this gif looks

I don't know about bass, but Devin Townsend's Addicted and Casualties of Cool aren't too hard to do on guitar, and they've both got primarily women singers for them, with occasional vocals from Devy

Attached: Casualties-Of-Cool.jpg (1080x1080, 197K)

Attached: MN220 out of package_NEW.jpg (467x700, 28K)

>go on Instagram
>watch Ben Eunson videos
>try to copy technique and phrasing

Has anyone ever heard of Voodoo Vibe guitar parts?

I'm looking for a cheap body to assemble a Frankenstrat out of and they have the color I'm after. Seems like a pretty basic chink-made Strat body.

But I have heard nothing about this brand before.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1063, 149K)

>Are there any musicians with just female vocals and bass that we can cover to start developing a sound?

youtube.com/watch?v=F1wzwRRToAw

Seriously though, just pick literally any song you guys like and jam. Learn guitar if you feel like it, but it's definitely not a prerequisite for songwriting or composition or accompaniment. The bass is one of the most versatile instruments there is. If you're a truly decent bassist, you should be fine.

How do I get this tone?
youtu.be/pLTKdWIgG5A

Learn to slap by pretending it's your daughter after she refuses to suck a fart out of your asshole.
At least that's what I do

Attached: 1516402013043.png (202x193, 78K)

It's the early "Bob Moog" logo moogerfooger. Have 0 plans to sell it as well as play it. Maybe someday.

Attached: 20190530_191028.jpg (4032x3024, 3M)

is it just me or does the major scale just kinda suck

Fender or Gibson

You probably just suck

Fender hands down. They simoly have more to offer.

>guitar with a "Custom" in its headstock
>actually mass produced

It was custom settings in the cnc asshole.

Highly underrated album imo

It surprisingly takes effects well. I thought I was just gonna hear white noise.

Attached: DSC_0064.jpg (1280x720, 285K)

im gonna buy a yamaha pacifica 112
change my mind

Fender is a better company with a much more versatile range of instruments (especially if you take Jackson, Charvel and Gretsch into account) but Gibson's core designs are downright classics.

I'd never recommend going Gibson over Fender or vice versa because they serve different needs, but I'd actually be more likely to buy a Gibson than I would be to buy a Fender, because the modular nature of Fender designs combined with looser trademarks means clones and homebuilts are much more accessible.

Get a job

>im poor
The post.

Ampeg.

no

>Say I would buy a Gibson
>"im poor: the post"

Huh?

If you bought one gibson solid body you bought them all. Same with their semi hollows. They all sound the same. Fender has distinct instruments like the stratocaster,telecaster, and other assorted styles with distinct sounds.

That's exactly what I said.

Gibson uses different pickups too, mouthbreather.

And pickup configs. From Hum to mini-hum to p90 to p94s to singles

>you cant change pickups on any guitar
Lmfao nice try jackass. How many Gibson single coils are there?

Quite a few.

>One of gibsons best pickup makers and master of pafs, tim shaw, works for fender
Oof

Like those famous ones everyone knows right?

No, they're pretty obscure, but they exist and there's a lot of them.

And theyre obscure because they were good right?

What is the second best guitar manufacturer behind Gibson?

Attached: questionmarkfolderimagenumber280.jpg (1920x1080, 892K)

G$L gang

That's not the argument. The argument was that all Gibbys sound the same, when that's clearly not the case.

>durr if you don't spend money on bullshit you're poor
Typical low-class mentality. My parents came from a shitty port town in a third-world country. Now they're wealthy, not fuck-you wealthy but enough to own a few $1m+ homes in various countries including the US. You know how they got that way? By busting their ass for their jobs and by making smart investments, not by spending away their savings the first opportunity they got like consumerist junkies. I make my own money now that I'm out of college and I could buy several $5000 guitars if I was a guitar monkey like you, but I realize that paying 10x a guitar's worth when it's completely excessive for my needs is what a carrot-chasing, saddle-wearing, tacky-blinder wearing Gibson ponyboy like you does, not a man of sensible taste such as myself. "Giddyup!" I can hear your Gibson jockey crying as he whips you towards the nearest Guitar Center. "Don't want to miss the latest iteration of Les Paul Clone #2408, Same Verse As The Last Edition!"

Pic related, it's your rider.

Attached: james_curley.jpg (640x640, 131K)

Behind Gibson? I don't know, they're pretty low on the totem pole right now so that doesn't leave a lot to choose from. BC Rich?

Attached: 1558346569019.jpg (1026x1031, 1.19M)

Attached: a4136936198_10.jpg (1188x1200, 201K)

>says the guy with inadequate guitars

Gibsons are for faggots but P90's are single coil pickups, P90 LesPauls are just as well known as chink shred shitplanks.

>Says the man with no guitars

The argument was which one is better. Its still fender. You're arguing about obscure shit like a retard

No, I was strictly commenting on Gibsons pickup options.

Lmfao
You think imma read this
Tl;dr
Post yours

Then dont because thats not what the argument was about. Go be stupid elsewhere.

Wrong.

>Gibsons are for faggots

Attached: 1556777887217.gif (480x287, 1.21M)

post em

>justen

Attached: D69DB9DD-6870-493E-8A88-B27261220AC2.jpg (279x180, 12K)

Yeah, I'd never buy a Fender. They're so easy to build to your own custom specs. I like Fenders, I just wouldn't buy one.

It's none of my business if you love sucking on big long yogurt slinging sausage slammers.

Kek

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-29-12-40-58.png (1080x2160, 612K)

>sausage slammers
What slams a sausage? A dominatrix?

You tell me.

Is gtdb a good way to learn FACGCE? What scales should I start with in that tuning?

This image sure contains a lot of adequacy.

Dominatrixes definitely slam sausages.

Azu-nyan a cute. A cute! Also a much better guitarist than Yui.

Okay, cool story.

Have a Moog for your Moog.

Attached: 1543819135660.webm (1280x720, 2.88M)

Out of all the fucking colors...

Take the rubber off the Bigsby. It looks stupid.

If I wanted something ordinary and boring I wouldn't have to look so hard for a body would I?

Attached: Bumblebee2.jpg (768x1024, 457K)

say something nice about the jazzmaster

Attached: gtr30e.jpg (720x536, 217K)

>"not ugly" = "ordinary and boring"

My disappointment in you is immeasurable

lole what’s your net worth jcum?

That seems to be how you're defining ugly, yes.

It is an objective fact that yellow is an aesthetically pleasing color.

Warmoth has that color

Some shades of yellow are pleasing.
is pleasing.
is hideous.

They do, but even if I can find one in the showcase it's $300, which is more than I spend to spend on a body for this budget build.

The color temperature in the photo I posted is obviously off.

needs carbon fiber pickguard and,or some meme neck.

D:

new thread
new thread
new thread

Nels Cline plays one.

Attached: Jackin It In San Diego.webm (1280x720, 2.78M)

Vomit-worthy bridge.

dat contrapoints lighting

That ain't workin'

Lol wouldnt you like to know.

>string trees
vomit