ITT: When past-it hags try a little too hard to be a 22 year old tart

ITT: When past-it hags try a little too hard to be a 22 year old tart

Attached: olivia newton-john soul kiss back cover.jpg (302x300, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yydxdWaoOJg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>photobucket
great post op

>inb4 one million posts of Marina hate

B&W photos always make you look younger than color ones.

Late career Madonna, late career Madonna, late career Madonna, late career Madonna.

Apparently she wanted to do traditional pop standards but Linda Ronstadt beat her to the punch. Physical had been an unintended mega-hit that she wasn't entirely comfortable with because it was too lewd for her squeaky-clean girl next door image, but Atlantic were determined to keep pushing the sex bomb format and she was getting kinda old and quickly displaced by Madonna and other MTV darlings.

Linda Ronstadt was kinda smarter in that she knew she was pushing 40 and didn't think she could still compete with younger pop singers or adapt her style to the 80s, so she withdrew into trad pop standards and Latin music instead.

Yeah it was tryhard. Linda went with pop standards when the hits started drying up. Soul Kiss though was trying too hard to compete with the new young crop of video vixens that MTV had spawned.

is that a past-it hag for ants?

Satisfied?

Attached: img848.jpg (1000x1000, 250K)

better, thanks

Soul Kiss was also four years after Physical, which is too long between releases (at least by 80s standards it was) and Olivia did flat-out admit she wanted to go back to her more mellow adult contemp 70s style, but yeah like you said the record label was determined to milk this newfound sex symbol image of hers.

You have to understand that prior to Madonna, the idea of female singers being openly sexual was not a thing. They were supposed to be relatively clean and wholesome (some like Doris Day played sexy, albeit in a restrained way) and not show too much skin. Olivia was an entire decade older than Madonna and just couldn't adapt to the revolution in pop that the latter started. If she'd been born in the 80s and been a Britney/Gaga/Rihanna contemporary, then it wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm sure the fact that she was 36 when Soul Kiss came out also didn't help.

The title cut wasn't a very good choice for the lead single anyway, it wasn't catchy or compelling enough of a song. I mean, yeah, her time was probably up by the mid-80s as she was getting older and wanted to have a family.

I don't think it's a bad song at all, but maybe just the wrong material for 1985. Perhaps it would have been a hit three years earlier, but 85 seemed to be the expiration date for a lot of pop acts particularly female ones and Madonna quite probably did have something to do with it.

Olivia in 85 was actually pinched between two huge pop rivals, Madonna, ten years younger, and Tina Turner, nine years older, and wasn't satisfactorily able to compete with either.

The Rumour was even worse especially with its lame attempts at social commentary (eg. the environmentalist movement).

youtube.com/watch?v=yydxdWaoOJg

Yeah you can start to see the lines on her face here.

she doesnt try at all, yet her new album is still trash

I doubt trying to go back to her 70s sound was a good idea--nobody was going to play stuff like that on the radio in the mid-80s.

The Soul Kiss title track was actually offered to Tina Turner, who (smartly?) didn't take it.

Attached: 384966673.jpg (1020x574, 87K)

>You have to understand that prior to Madonna, the idea of female singers being openly sexual was not a thing.

Bullshit.

Attached: 5ae98875b0363[1].jpg (1200x1181, 114K)

This was released in the US by Chrysalis, but didn't even chart at all.

>wanglos think they are the center of the world

The French have always been on the forefront of libertineism and sexual depravity, you silly anglos only jump on the bandwagon later on.

They originally planned to shoot music videos for every song on Soul Kiss and make it a video album just like they'd done for Physical, but her pregnancy sort of ruined that plan. Three of the songs have proper music videos, the rest are just mimed performances.

Didn't do anything in Britain either. I guess that Eurodisco sound wasn't what sold in the Anglosphere at the time.

Have You Never Been Mellow [MCA, 1975]
After checking out the competition--I've given up on Helen Reddy, Anne Murray repeats herself, and Loretta Lynn's latest is a bummer--I began to entertain heathenish thoughts about this MOR nemesis, whose mid-Atlantic accent inspired Tammy Wynette to found a country music association designed to exclude her. At least this woman sounds sexy, says I to meself, but Carola soon set me straight. "A geisha," she scoffed. "She makes her voice smaller than it really is just to please men." At which point I put away my heathenish thoughts and finished the dishes. D+

Olivia's Greatest Hits Vol. 2 [MCA, 1982]
With a kick in her pert little butt from John Travolta, the Melbourne chameleon has abandoned her conquest of Nashville for a funkier brand of perky, with seven more top-ten singles her reward, and she's sexier than Barbara Mandrell for damn sure. Any heterosexual man who can deny "Physical," with its detonating blonde bombshell switching off from "physical" to "animal" for the grand finale, needs his monkey-gland shot--to dismiss it as an aerobics song is brunette chauvinism, period. The rest you can pass on to your exercise teacher without permission from the Board of Health. B-

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

I wish that disgusting hag Marina would realize as well that nobody wants her aging, dried-up body anymore.