The older I get the less interested I am in hip-hop

the older I get the less interested I am in hip-hop.

why is this?

I'm only 20...

Attached: ugh.png (498x594, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/51oPKLSuyQY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
youtube.com/watch?v=4QIsX9PnvOk
youtube.com/watch?v=JYOYqn4No1w
hiphopdx.com/editorials/id.723/title.5-things-that-killed-hip-hop#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because mainstream hip hop is diarrhea except for a few songs.

Because it's a genre that is meant for kids.

>older
>20

Rap is shit anyway and you don’t even remember 9/11 you will never be old just eternally gay

that just means it's time to branch out.

Mainstream hip hop is mostly god awful lately. mumble trap is boring as fuck. Even cloud/stoner rap from a few years ago is orders of magnitude more interesting

Because it's made by retards for retards

I don’t hate hip-hop but I’ve just found so much other stuff. When you’re 16 you think it’s the greatest thing in the world and eventually you realize there’s more interesting stuff out there.

yeah that's why I said "I'm only 20..."

cos I'm not old, just feel it. feel worn out with the music my friends listen to.

Either you start listening to classical music like an adult or you end up like a man-children, there is no in-between.

it's a genre meant for children, like tween pop and k-pop and rock

Attached: 1558193825394.jpg (743x670, 21K)

Because hip-hop has seen a sharp decline over the past 3 years

braindead boomer

only acceptable answer itt

i think hiphop gets more interesting as time moves on

can’t you fucks be normal for just one thread

19 y/o here, I still listen to few of my fav rappers occasionally but I basically feel the same. I don't even care for any new critically acclaimed rap albums unless they're made by my favorite artists.
I think it comes down to the fact that hip-hop isn't as emotional as other genres, and in my age you just wanna listen to something that hits deep in the feels.
Also I used to be impressed by lyrics and technicality but I don't care about that at all anymore.

Attached: portrait-small.jpg (700x1200, 240K)

2016 was pretty fun for underground rap, 2017 was okay but a bit more stale/serious with certain artists getting label deals. 2018 is where i completely stopped paying attention to anything being released. anything I hear in passing is way too cringe to ever be interested in trap again

I've started listening to jazz and more experimental rock recently. noise rock particularly. never listened to that before.

I still enjoy my old favourites but I mostly stopped listening to new hip-hop in my early 20s too

RAP...

Retards

Attempting

Poetry

noone makes music like the old days...Floyd, Queen, AC/DC, the list goes on, no talent to be found on the radio anymore...

post your chart I'd be really interested to see it.

this is mine.

Attached: mychart.jpg (760x1000, 269K)

> Queen, AC/DC

fuck off they're shit. PF sure, but if you're looking for lyrical quality Queen and AC/DC are pitiful.

it's kinda normie but eh, I haven't really been that motivated to check out new music recently

Attached: topsters2.jpg (1487x1400, 313K)

Imagine taking that post seriously

Because 99% of modern rap/hip-hop is just the same exact basic instrumentals and shitty rapping about drugs, murder, and sex. It gets boring.

Can you share the names of albums I've marked? Cheers.

Attached: a.jpg (1487x1400, 560K)

Meant to groom kids for pedophiles en masse.

I never forget a chart.

I saw this like 3 months ago lol

shut the fuck up, doomer goblin

possible

Noise rock...
Shoegaze fags, I see potential in this man.

ive seen that chart 100s of times its literally just the mucore chart with a fe things moved around...

from left to right
arthur russell - world of echo
burial - kindred
bedwetter - flip your tounge against your teeth and describe the present
sunny day real estate - how it feels to be something on
good night & good morning - narrowing type

So what are you into right now? classical music? Jazz? South Asian East Mediterranean Folk chant? Ambient?

You are still a man-child.

Thanks. Can't believe I've never heard of Arthur Russell before. Good stuff.

Why not both?

I don't disagree, but why?

oh. well that's probably it then.

Attached: whipped cream.jpg (1500x1507, 262K)

Because you still listen to rock.

take the ambient pill, user

yeah so? haha if you think listening to rock is childish where the fuck are you from? I live in England rock is the most popular genre amongst people 30+. and it always will be.

what's wrong with rock?

I listen to Eno's ambient stuff. haven't listened to really much else ambient stuff. I find it kinda boring desu.

this

Well if you listen to Rap you probably don’t like it because 2010’s lyrical Rap is basically the same as it was in the 90’s
If you listen to Trap it’s been garbage since the end of 2017

Just because a lot of people listen to rock doesn't mean it stops being childish. Listen to classical instead like a real adult.

ok but what exactly about rock makes it childish? you haven't answered that.

is The Smiths for children?

and I do listen to classical music occasionally. but I prefer rock.

england is a pathetic neotenized society, the only more faggot manchild places are sweden, japan and korea

>is The Smiths for children?
no it's for """depressed""" early 20 yrs old

literally everyone listens to rock my friend. where are you from?

not true my 50 year old father still listens to The Smiths.

I don't care for genres that much. I just listen to what I like and think I will like. I like a lot of classical music. but the lack of lyrics means that I don't listen to it as much.

so you've said that rock is for children, but haven't said why?

now you've said its for depressed 20 year olds, but why? and also I am a depressed 20 year old haha so it's pretty fitting.

not that I know a single person my age in England that listens to The Smiths.

You're ashamed to be developing your own taste in music?

Attached: 7NrRpl7.jpg (1200x627, 105K)

It's possible to be 50 and a manchild you know.

when did I say that? just wondering why I no longer listen to rap music these days. neither a good nor bad thing.

>and also I am a depressed 20 year old haha
you must be one of those people who identify with those doomer playlists on youtube

>so you've said that rock is for children, but haven't said why?
I didn't
>now you've said its for depressed 20 year olds, but why? and also I am a depressed 20 year old haha so it's pretty fitting.
exactly
>not that I know a single person my age in England that listens to The Smiths.
they're probably depressed

how many times have you been called a retard on this board?

cause you've dogded my question like 3 times now. this is pathetic you clearly don't have your opinion.

what makes rock childish?

and btw my father is the furthest thing from a manchild. what's your opinion on folk music?

Because its music for children

my bad I might be replying to the wrong guy.
because I said I'm a depressed 20 year old? hahaha you must one of those single celled organisms I hear about lurking in parks. I don't listen to playlists. literally never have done. but good try.

>ok but what exactly about rock makes it childish?
Same as any other children music, it lacks complexity.

yep

full on retard.

you've clearly never listened to proper rock. and only a child or a retard talks about stuff he doesn't understand

Attached: 2rdkbw.png (205x246, 4K)

its marketed toward literal children up to 20 like rap is

>you've clearly never listened to proper rock
Like The Smiths? Or stuff like progressive rock? lmao, what a joke
I bet Radiohead are in your top 5 you dumb man-child.
It's true that rock lacks complexity compared to classical music, don't even try to deny this.

ok but what about all the rock music that isn't marketed to children? like 90% of it.

youtu.be/51oPKLSuyQY

tell me this isn't complex. there is such thing as complex rock music you know. rock music could be made in exactly the same way classical music is made. some do. but whatever. arguing with autists is like smacking my head against a wall. have fun sitting in your velvet chair for 6 hours watching people sing in a language you don't understand. sounds like fun.

oh and fyi, I don't listen to radiohead. but good job on shouting out one of the most famous bands in the world.

complexity? look no further than Tomorrow Never Knows friendo.

>bait
Good one lad

Once you hit 24 you stop caring and just listen to what you think sounds good

The Smiths is literally targeted towards young adult men. Chances are if you are listening to "popular music" past your early 20s then you haven't matured. simple as

I feel the same way about midwestern emo. There are only so many times you can listen to some dude crooning about teenage dreams and feelings before you start to realize you are too old for that shit

It isn't complex. Yes always made dumbed down classical music. The closest they ever were to classical was with Relayer, but they were still far from it.
Also, just because something isn't marketed to children doesn't mean it wasn't intended for them. The scary movie series were not marketed for children, but that's where their audience is. Same goes with rock. Rock is like the Harry Potter books of music. Some might claim they are complex, but only because they are talking out of ignorance, like you.

Not complex. Also dumbed down 20th century classical influences.

>wah! tell me I'm not a man-child please!
Listen to classical like an adult you moron.

And once you mature you realize that classical music is what sounds good.

>19 and 20 years old think that they have grown up and "outgrown music"

Just give it some time and continue listen to what you want. You'll have periods of listening to hip-hop again in the future.

Attached: 1538667232876.jpg (470x470, 31K)

popular music. as in music that once was popular? like Beethoven? The Smiths aren't popular anymore old man. I live in fucking London and I'm literally the only 20 year old who even knows they exist. kids these days don't listen to The Smiths.

>classical
Wowie, this bait isn't even good anymore

>classical bad :^|
Grow up.

Popular music doesn't mean music that's popular (see it Tagg's Axiomatic Triangle). Also, Beethoven was never popular. The Smiths still are. Get out.

> And once you mature you realize that classical music is what sounds good

no. literally no. how many fucking adults listen to classical music? very few. because it's lame and boring you boomer loser. jump in the grave old man the world changed 60 years ago. I bet you are the dullest person on this earth. definitely an American. definitely worthless. hahaha classical music is dying. nobody gives a shit about it. and just because some music is more complex than others, doesn't make it better. we're literally talking about art. this is subjective you moron. if you can't understand subjectivity then you're definitely a man-child. must be why you keep saying 'man-child'.

projecting. this is the most pathetic thing I've ever read on Yea Forums.

Attached: 2qmyau.jpg (326x294, 18K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music

>Tagg's Axiomatic Triangle
genres aren't real retard.

>me is smart, me listen to classical
I can't say I dislike Bach, in fact, I quite enjoy it, but you really think that the only thing that sounds good is classical, than you're fucking retarded

>anonymous neet BTFO one of the most well respected musicologists with just four words
Well, aren't you a special kind of retard?

Very few adults are mature. Most adults remain as man-children for years, if not decades, or even forever.
Not American, and people still compose new exciting classical music today.
Music taste is subjective, and your taste is, subjectively speaking, utter shit.

What are your ten favorite Bach pieces?

>Very few adults are mature. Most adults remain as man-children for years, if not decades, or even forever.
Glad to see you have a mirror in your house

Oh no, I have been owned by an epic comeback! What shall I do now!?

kys

I feel this way about pop. it's just so boring now
and it's funny because I still like it, I just don't listen to it that much anymore

>REEEE I SHOULD BE ABLE TO LISTEN TO TWEEN MUSIC AS A FULL GROWN ADULT AND LOOK LIKE A CREEPY OLD MAN AT CONCERTS IF I WANT DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 98K)

it's called growing up

> Very few adults are mature

but you are? do you seriously believe that you're not a man-child? cos it's Tuesday and you've spent the last hour arguing with a teenager about rock music on FUCKING Yea Forums. Jesus Christ your life must be shit. man-child. if you're on Yea Forums, I got bad news for you mate. society probably hates you, for good reason. you're probably worthless.

> one of the most well respected musicologists

hahahahahahahahaha what a fucking pleb you are. oh so my opinion is worth nothing next to his because a bunch of elitist conservatives say so. hahahahahaha oh you do make me life. fuck of back to uni you school boy. I'm chilling with Diogenes on the bank laughing at you stuck up nonces. hahaha get a life mate.

You legit classical is the only good type of music mate, you don't get a say

If you think posting on Yea Forums makes you a loser you must be projecting. I like Yea Forums as a way to distract myself from time to time. You, on the other hand, appear to spend your entire time on here. I'm the adult here, you are not.

>society probably hates you
No lol

Your opinion is worth nothing because it's unsubstantiated, unlike Tagg's.

>diogenes
Oh lol
What next? Will you shitpost about Stirner now? lmao, what a fucking child, you are legit underage, I swear

rock is childish in many ways:
>made of power chords with no explicit quality (i.e. major, minor, etc.)
>99% 4/4
>almost no rhythmic variation
>no offbeats
>ridiculously and unintentionally static harmony
>overlapping dynamics
>conformist (I don't need to read music)
>autist (I don't wanna sound like others)
>delusional (I don't wanna grow up)
>self-centered
>musicality kept to a bare minimum , while frivolous elements like posing, looks, fashion and lifestyle play a big role

btw, "childish" is not a very good word to describe it. There are musical compositions for children and by children that can rightfully be considered complete works of art. "Immature" or "underdeveloped" are better adjectives. Also not all of rock is like that, it just has that tendency...

All rock is "immature".

It comes back I'm 32 and relistening to things I liked as a teen. Like pic related. It's actually good. I forgot rap could be good lol.

Attached: R-1054946-1289485050.jpeg.jpg (597x590, 99K)

>I like Yea Forums as a way to distract myself from time to time.
>has been discussing in here for more than an hour
Kek

I'm posting while commuting on my way home, so yeah, I'm just distracting myself.

People's taste change. It's normal

Not really. Some people's tastes never leave high school.

because the more you age the less egocentric you become

/thread

Nice blogpost. Unfortunately you don't speak for everyone

You got a source on that? Can you explain what inherently makes something for kids and why adult shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it?

youtube.com/watch?v=4QIsX9PnvOk

>my source? some stand up comedians opinion
"no"

wow. this is literally the most pathetic thing I have ever read.we're all losers mate. just accept it. if you're on Yea Forums, you can't be a very important healthy person.fuck off I speak for myself. I WANNA ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT!

>ask for source
>receive one
>waaah I don't like that source

Go do your homework and tidy your room

Dylan Moran? my god you fucking loser.

Read The World as Will and Representation

Speak for yourself, retard. I use Yea Forums because it allows me to distract myself for short periods of time, stop projecting your ineptitude on others.

>wow. this is literally the most pathetic thing I have ever read.

Look at this rocker, for instance: turning aggressive like an immature child that's not getting the pat on the back that he wants. Yet he cannot offer sound argument or rebuttal. Instead, he mindlessly repeats his mantra: imma rock 4ever.

Right on, dude... keep on rocking forever, yet the truer, accomplished musical experiences will keep straying further and further from you and your lazy ass. Keep on rocking your little hamster ball...

>implying any music is good
pleb

You just gotta dig deeper. Listen to 90s Boom Bap stuff like Gang Star and Mobb Deep, listen to lyrical spiritual miracle shit like Open Mike Eagle and Milo and Aesop Rock, the genre is so fucking broad I cant imagine you've listened to everything, especially at 20

Listen to some uk artists Doomer user, guys coming from labels like High focus are top.

Four owls, Verb T, Leaf dog, Ocean wisdom, Dirty dike just to name a few

youtube.com/watch?v=JYOYqn4No1w

I didn't realize my love of hip hop until about 19-20.

That's my dad's favorite album.

Hip Hop is all right, it's a form of storytelling. The problem is that it became mainstream because it's very cheap to produce, unlike othere generes of music. Being mainstream, it attracted the whole lot of retards you see everyday.

Nobody's saying anybody shouldn't be ALLOWED to enjoy it, but it is objectively a genre whose target demographic is youth, and this has always been the case for rap as well as every other form of popular music since the end of WWII. The entire music industry as we know it is built around kids with disposable income, which is a demographic that didn't even exist until the 1950s.

There comes a time in every music lover's life when he realizes that classical, jazz, and traditional ("folk", "world", "ethnic", whatever you want to call it) music are the only styles that are actually meant for adults.

b-but....

Thisx1000. Adults can definitely enjoy rap. The ones that do are just the musical equivalent of Bronies.

Not really, it's very well known that many top jazz musicians like Herbie Hancock, Ray Charles and Quincy Jones enjoy listening to old school rap records, also many R&B, soul, jazz and blues singers take rap pretty seriously and use it as a tool for further development of their improvising skills.

Source?

K-pop is GREAT... to watch

15 years of studying music and 5 years of studying jazz, on Herbie Hancock literally any Google search, on Ray Charles, he is probably the most influential black musician, he's been sampled by everyone... and if you've listen to his later records, he's clearly been influenced too by the hip hop scene. Quincy Jones spoke publicly in favor of Kendrick and Chance. And jazz singer Shenel Johns (who you should definitely check out), told me personally that she was working with rappers and storytellers of the Brooklyn area to keep and contribute to their oral tradition.

Many of you seem to be overlooking the importance that oral tradition has had historically in all of black music and culture. Hip hop is one of its most accomplished forms and it comes from the act of preaching. It's not just the commercial rappers that you see on TV and social media, it's a whole cultural manifest.

I don't think you know what a source is

well if you don't know, now you know

dont listen to this guy he's clearly a 30 year old who smokes hash and wears bootcut jeans

hip-hop is dated as fuck, no one listens to that shit anymore

Weird, as I get older I like Hip Hop more and more.

based

rap fucking sucks and has literally gotten worse since 2010

where'd you hear that

Kanye will save hip hop (yet again) this year

U subconsciously racist af and you be hatin black people and they success smdh

based nigger

>not picking up on his sarcasm

Attached: 3b9556fe33ecd500faaad287b2d07c1806e59d137db55e4e23dfa0e534d983b4.png (480x480, 200K)

>not picking up on his sarcasm

>not picking up on his post-sarcasm

Attached: image000000000.png (500x522, 79K)

I, too, am scared of women and minorities

There are no great genres, only great artists. Music can be divided into being about composition and lyricism. Hip-hop specifically, more than other genres, has the problem where there's not a lot of great artists hitting that middle ground making music thats interesting both lyrically and musically.

Take Brockhampton for example, they appeared out of nowhere with a sound that felt relatively fresh compared to the minor scale loops trap hellscape we've been stuck in, but they weren't rapping about shit and didn't have the humor that Odd Future did.

Another problem is that hip-hop, seemingly more than any other genre, has huge dominating trends. In the 90s it was boom bap with the same fucking drum pattern in every song. Early 2000s had chipmunk soul samples. And in the 2010s its trap with the same fucking drum pattern in every song.

I love hip-hop, I want to be a rapper myself, but a lot of it is terrible. You have gangsta/flex rap which is the same shit over and over again (6ix9ine presented it in a fun way), conscious rap like Kendrick Lamar and Cole which is just the same shit as Digible Planets, Organized Konfusion, and Public Enemy regurgitated in a less revolutionary way and made palatable to white audiences, and then you have Drake clones and shitposters like Lil Yachty, Ugly God, Lil Nas X.

I only really listen to Kanye, Tyler, and Early anymore. The best rappers like the best singers, writers, and directors are the ones with a specific vision based off their specific tastes about their specific life.

It's dead, whiteboi

hiphopdx.com/editorials/id.723/title.5-things-that-killed-hip-hop#

Attached: Hip-Hop.png (304x304, 112K)

this. you’re getting sick of hip hop because hip hop itself is getting old. we’re on the nickelback stage of rap music right now.

>unverifiable statements count as sources
No wonder you "studied" music.

>hiphopdx.com/editorials/id.723/title.5-things-that-killed-hip-hop#

Surprisingly good article but I'm not sure if the third point still stands.

>doesn't know music is a source in itself

Attached: 1550190370288.jpg (252x270, 96K)

true. whats next?

Don't bother, the guy's a retard

Hip-hop is so basic and generic that you're looking for something more challenging, dynamic or engaging, not just talking/mumbling over a repetitive beat

>he doesn't even know what the discussion was about
you are a retard

Yeah, I know, that's why I'm calling him out on it.

I dont listen to any hip hop, unless its something I liked when I was younger or its bladee.

Pretty much last three days
Bladee
MF doom
Kanye yeezus

other then that rap is shit core

>tfw grew up listening to underground hip-hop exclusively

immortal technique vol 1 and 2 hold up amazingly well. Been listening to them on and off since i was about 14, 27 and i hear something new with every listen

Attached: ccIvMfr.jpg (553x567, 80K)

memphis rap
bay area
boom bap
trap
chopped and screwed
grime
industrial hop
glitch hop
jazz hop
experimental hop
plunderphonics / intrumental hip-hop
whatever odd future was doing
top 40 rap
drill / chicago rap
gangsta rap
g funk
chicano rap

Attached: 1434220961028.jpg (1846x1212, 244K)

east coast, west coast, "emo rap" exists on wikipedia, pop rap, horrorcore, rap rock, maybe even nu metal

abstract hip hop